Solid State Logic unveils stereo ULTRAVIOLET Stereo EQ (UV-EQ) & SiX Channel (SiX CH) 500 Series - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic unveils stereo ULTRAVIOLET Stereo EQ (UV-EQ) & SiX Channel (SiX CH) 500 Series
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New color scheme looks great, and the name is brilliant: Fusion has a limited eq named Violet, the full eq is named UltraViolet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
No official recommendations.
I’ve used them in Radial, Purple, BAE and Lindell happily, sure others will too
Jim,

I'm gonna grab a few SiX Channels, should I be waiting for an SSL 500 lunchbox?
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
I think there are more than enough 500-series chassis out there
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any plans for a
1. Simple super analogue summing mixer like dangerous music Lt and Rupert Neve Orbit?
2. Drive and Hf compressor modules in 500 series format?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Not familiar with the 500 series lunchbox concept
and was considering getting the XLogic version.

If I were to get the 500 series SSL Buss Compressor and install into a lunchbox is there a particular one which will allow easy routing into the Comp for the side chain?

Bit thick here so any help would be appreciated.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawnintoaqueen ➡️

If I were to get the 500 series SSL Buss Compressor and install into a lunchbox is there a particular one which will allow easy routing into the Comp for the side chain?

Think I’ve got it now, so the input of a third slot can be sent to the buss comp in a Radial 3U.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

The 500 series SSL Buss Compressor does not have an external sidechain input, just a sidechain filter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Ultraviolet looks very nice, cool to see another stereo EQ in 500 format.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think there are more than enough 500-series chassis out there
But not enuff with recall... And since the x-rack is pretty much dead... It would be cool to have a replacement.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H ➡️
The 500 series SSL Buss Compressor does not have an external sidechain input, just a sidechain filter.
Thanks for that.

Looks like the XLogic one does.

There doesn’t seem to be much new stock out there, wonder if that’s still a product they manufacture.

Jim?
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for that.

Looks like the XLogic one does.

There doesn’t seem to be much new stock out there, wonder if that’s still a product they manufacture.

Jim?
All gone.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
All gone.
Thanks Jim

Probably in the best interests of my bank balance at the moment. I’m being greedy and I’m definitely more in need of a new controller so I’ll invest invest in an UF8 and then revisit getting the 500 series Buss Compressor later in the year :-)
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL ➡️
I just dont dig the brushed look, the solid black was more SSL classy, minor thing but we like the look as much as the sound of our gear. JIm was there a reason to change the faceplate design considering the other modules were already solid black?
Old stuff is there for those that like the classic looks.. personally they never stood out to me as anything attractive or desirable (aesthetically), but the new brushed steel/aluminum look is gorgeous. The UV Eq particularly looks stunning with the colour chosen for the knobs (which wouldn't look as nice against black imo). If you had to match them with old stuff? I get it.. but many will be starting fresh with this new line and I think SSL have done amazing on aesthetics and sound here....

... I own a Fusion rack and it's probably the nicest looking piece in my studio - even nicer than my Portico II Channel (which looks kinda classy) but the SSL manages to look classy while also looking fun.

Looks aside, it sounds amazing. Fusion is actually far better than I gave it credit for when I first read about it way back (assuming plug-ins could do it), well, no... they can't, or don't, in fact owning fusion and a/bing/replacing plug-ins on drum groups or mix bus etc really highlights how 'effortless' the SSL analog gets you to where you want to go AND does it in way the plug-ins just haven't been able to for me. And I had a ton of plugs that, before fusion, sounded like they were doing great.. each adding a bit of mojo, saturation, compression, EQ... but now I can disable half of them - run through Fusion and the result is ridiculously more appealing.

Fusion for me places a mix in REAL SPACE... 3D, when I bypass it the ITB mix jumps back like it's a picture of a song you're looking at, when I engage Fusion i'm IN the song... it wraps around me, it has depth and it's not just the stereo image/widening effect (as I was already doing that with various ITB plugs but they all now sound like they hit a ceiling within the box - fusion breaks them out of the box and gives enough subtle, or not so subtle mojo, that would usually take 4 or more seperate units (and they still wouldn't quite gel together the same way or as easily as Fusion does).

Build is also rock solid and heavy, faceplate is superthick and thanks to the brushed look in a lighter colour, doesn't show fingerprints like black can.

And those of us with good 'mixing' ears wouldn't say the trafo on/off is a waste or super subtle either, you def CAN hear its desirable traits when engaged, bottom end gets tighter, top end gets more exciting and it's another part along with the vintage drive that places it in a 3D space.

Anyway, this new SSL is something I can get behind - china or not - at better prices. What I'd love to see is an 'add-on' for Fusion... "Fusion-X?" a 1U high rack unit with a 'simplified' bus compressor from the G-comp, fixed at 4:1, auto release, but with 2 simple controls for threshold and attack... in the same brushed silver finish, and also add in something else to make it useful and fun.

I would def buy one but I can't see me buying the full 3.5k Gcomp for all its settings when the magic of it could be distilled down for insert into fusion with a matching unit + some other - fusion-esque - fun and unique addition (I can't think what off hand cos Fusion main already does so much) for around a grand...

Make it so SSL!

on topic... Ultra violet looks great, I already know the shelves sound great, and the name is clever too!

*oh just had the idea, it could be called "Fusion Blue" (cos of the fusion's insert button turning blue in stereo insert mode) makes so much sense, if I was SSL I'd build it just for that clever twist!

simple g-comp (with blend/SC HPF) + one more awesome toy in the 1U strip... mebbe a single mid band from ultra violet? could be used standalone but 'tuned' to work best in tandem (insert) with fusion, bonus points if you can use those extras as dual monos in M/S mode from fusion (Fusion 'white' mode :P ). Hell, even the simple g-comp idea would still be worth it at the right price!

Please SSL...
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This guy made his own TwelVe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Q5zhcKiy8&t=74s

SSL needs to make a TwelVe! It's so obvious the market wants this.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
New Duality Fuse is out? anyone else see it?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
New Duality Fuse is out? anyone else see it?
That's been out for at least a few months. It wasn't an announced thing as far as I know but it was definitely on their website back in early winter, I think.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47radAR ➡️
That's been out for at least a few months. It wasn't an announced thing as far as I know but it was definitely on their website back in early winter, I think.
I did not know that, just saw their FB SM page posting it thinking it was a brand new release as of this week. I am suprised there was no official gearspace release. Wish they were able to have recall on the eq/comp like the neve genesys has.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I did not know that, just saw their FB SM page posting it thinking it was a brand new release as of this week. I am suprised there was no official gearspace release. Wish they were able to have recall on the eq/comp like the neve genesys has.
As far as I can tell, nothing changed about the console except that the Fusion is now part of the centre section. Smart addition considering the success of the unit. I'd be surprised if they made any serious changes to Duality as it's already one of the last Muscle Car consoles on the market today. I would imagine that anything new would be LESS featured than Duality and considerably cheaper.

All that to say that IF they come out with a console with recallable parameters like the Genesys, it won't likely be anything as full featured as a Duality. I won't be disappointed if I'm proven wrong on this.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 ➡️
mebbe a single mid band from ultra violet? could be used standalone but 'tuned' to work best in tandem (insert) with fusion, bonus points if you can use those extras as dual monos in M/S mode from fusion (Fusion 'white' mode :P ).

Please SSL...
+1 (x 1,000,000)

....id love the option to expand the eq section on the fusion with some SSL bell curves via the insert....without having to get into 500 series stuff.

The six has great shelves/bell eq's but (switchable) fixed points....id snap up a new non 500 series eq from SSL at the fusion/six price-point
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Really interested in the SiX channel, one (maybe stupid) question though: I have the Cranborne 500 Adat, is it possible to send a line level signal via adat from the daw to the six ch? I read that it doesn't take line level on the rear input, but maybe it's different with the Cranborne since it has it's own converters. I don't want to put a cable into the front input of the ssl, that doesn't seem like an elegant solution. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!
Old 3 days ago
Received my UV EQ unit today. Have not yet ran signal through it, but first impressions are not the best, unfortunately - the FOCUS button on the right side gets stuck in the down position unless pushed at just the right angle. It also does not extend as far out as the one on the left side when in the UP position.
Obviously it is just a mechanical problem with the button / switch, but nevertheless something that needs to be fixed or changed so it wont start causing more troubles later on.

It was also noticeable the very first time I tried pressing the button that something was different.. Should not have passed any QC test. SSL?

The store I got it from just closed for today, will call them up tomorrow to hear what they have to say.

Hopefully the audio works ok, will report back later.

*quick update - no problems on the audio side. It sounds just like in the VK clip: clean and punchy. Very nice actually.

Another positive thing worth mentioning is the look of the unit, it looks very classy. I have it next to an Elysia Nvelope, and while I really like the Nvelope, it kinda looks clumsy with the huge knobs. Kind of late 90s computer-ish. The SSL just looks very sharp.

I usually am not a fan of small knobs, but SSL have done a great job with the layout - for having a dozen knobs and three buttons, it does not feel crammed at all, even with big fingers. Having said that, one of the knobs does feel a little different than the rest tho, which is also kinda annoying.

So all in all, impressed with the sound and the looks, not so much with the quality control.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerbackproblems ➡️
Received my UV EQ unit today. Have not yet ran signal through it, but first impressions are not the best, unfortunately - the FOCUS button on the right side gets stuck in the down position unless pushed at just the right angle. It also does not extend as far out as the one on the left side when in the UP position.
Obviously it is just a mechanical problem with the button / switch, but nevertheless something that needs to be fixed or changed so it wont start causing more troubles later on.

It was also noticeable the very first time I tried pressing the button that something was different.. Should not have passed any QC test. SSL?

The store I got it from just closed for today, will call them up tomorrow to hear what they have to say.

Hopefully the audio works ok, will report back later.

*quick update - no problems on the audio side. It sounds just like in the VK clip: clean and punchy. Very nice actually.

Another positive thing worth mentioning is the look of the unit, it looks very classy. I have it next to an Elysia Nvelope, and while I really like the Nvelope, it kinda looks clumsy with the huge knobs. Kind of late 90s computer-ish. The SSL just looks very sharp.

I usually am not a fan of small knobs, but SSL have done a great job with the layout - for having a dozen knobs and three buttons, it does not feel crammed at all, even with big fingers. Having said that, one of the knobs does feel a little different than the rest tho, which is also kinda annoying.

So all in all, impressed with the sound and the looks, not so much with the quality control.
Sorry to hear this. If the button’s not right we’ll switch it out.
Did you try minimum Q with Focus engaged yet?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…