MOTU releases UltraLite-mk5 USB Audio Interface - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU releases UltraLite-mk5 USB Audio Interface
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Sorry, can't see anything you're saying

Curious why they chose locking xlr's for this. They can get stuck and leave you with a total pain in the ass to deal with.

Would like to see a version with less outputs and more mic pres. Not a lot of contenders for 4 mic pre's and dsp, everyone seems to either go with 2 channels or 8+.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmelo ➡️
Would like to see a version with less outputs and more mic pres. Not a lot of contenders for 4 mic pre's and dsp, everyone seems to either go with 2 channels or 8+.
Yes please

Sitting here, drinking my morning coffee and reading your comment and have just packed my small portable rig, to do a recording of a singer and her grand piano.

I use a RME UCX for this and because it only has two mic pre's I have to bring my Line Audio 8 channel preamp with me - for just that one or two extra mics I will use.

So, I would also love to have a portable, reliable (like RME!) interface with 4 preamps
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sorry, can't see anything you're saying

Curious why they chose locking xlr's for this. They can get stuck and leave you with a total pain in the ass to deal with.

Hear, hear. While it's improved over the last few years, the pickings are still pretty slim for 4 pre interfaces. MOTU's own 4 pre hasn't been updated in years.

I'm very happy with my Audient EVO 8 (though the pres could use more gain, understandable for such an inexpensive bus powered device), but I'd gladly give up 2 of the outputs, SPDIF, and even MIDI on the Ultralite if they would squeeze in 2 more pres. I'm a fan of MOTU stuff in general; that would be a near-instant purchase.

Still thinking about pairing the Ultralite Mk5 with a Black Lion 2ch Auteur in a half-rack case...
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersheff ➡️
Hear, hear. While it's improved over the last few years, the pickings are still pretty slim for 4 pre interfaces. MOTU's own 4 pre hasn't been updated in years.

I'm very happy with my Audient EVO 8 (though the pres could use more gain, understandable for such an inexpensive bus powered device), but I'd gladly give up 2 of the outputs, SPDIF, and even MIDI on the Ultralite if they would squeeze in 2 more pres. I'm a fan of MOTU stuff in general; that would be a near-instant purchase.

Still thinking about pairing the Ultralite Mk5 with a Black Lion 2ch Auteur in a half-rack case...
Whoa, just ordered that evo8, it's the perfect tool for jamming with my buddy! Two headphone outs and 4 pres, just perfect.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Whoa, just ordered that evo8, it's the perfect tool for jamming with my buddy! Two headphone outs and 4 pres, just perfect.
I purchased one of those cheap Klark Teknik in-line pres to help with dynamic mics on the EVO. Even without it, the pres are surprisingly low noise and can be boosted digitally without much trouble.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersheff ➡️
I purchased one of those cheap Klark Teknik in-line pres to help with dynamic mics on the EVO. Even without it, the pres are surprisingly low noise and can be boosted digitally without much trouble.
We're just going to be running a dynamic vocal mic, guitar in, and two channel out of an e-drum kit, maybe usb midi on that.

I'm excited, I've been looking for something like this. Will probably pickup one of those mic boosters you mentioned just to have in case.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage ➡️
Is that a negative? This device has a 21 dBu output, the bus powered M4 is +16dBu. Bus powered devices are good for small mobile type setup. Grab the M4 if you require bus power.
The older Ultralite MK3 Hybrid (which I still have) has more I/O but can run bus-powered even today, using an "interesting"-looking firewire + TB2 + TB3 adapter.

Granted, it's an older device. And the converters are hopefully much more robust in this newer unit.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1na ➡️
The older Ultralite MK3 Hybrid (which I still have) has more I/O but can run bus-powered even today, using an "interesting"-looking firewire + TB2 + TB3 adapter.

Granted, it's an older device. And the converters are hopefully much more robust in this newer unit.
New ones got adat tho
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i hope the oled display thing becomes more common on interfaces or gear in general, lots of potential utility in it

but honestly, id like that mostly for the fact that id like anything that could give my eyes a break from the computer screen
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Small side question, does anyone know if this device will work with the media volume keys on Macs?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I like the extra i/o. Would be nice for multiple monitors or outboard gear. Wish my Apogee Element had that. I wonder how it sounds compared to the Element?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR13 ➡️
i hope the oled display thing becomes more common on interfaces or gear in general, lots of potential utility in it

but honestly, id like that mostly for the fact that id like anything that could give my eyes a break from the computer screen
I agree 100%. At this price point, everything needs a proper screen.

Maybe 45% of the reason I wanna move on from my Fireface UC is because there are no meters or dedicated controls on the device itself. Everything has to be done through Totalmix.

I would use it for performance a lot more often if it truly was standalone - I'm never entirely sure what settings are saved in the device. You basically need a laptop along with it, because the single dial and 2 digit display are practically useless. It doesn't even have clipping indicators for the outputs.

Hugely annoying... acceptable for when the UC first came out 10 years ago but not anymore. Beggars belief it hasn't been updated in all this time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temps ➡️
I agree 100%. At this price point, everything needs a proper screen.

Maybe 45% of the reason I wanna move on from my Fireface UC is because there are no meters or dedicated controls on the device itself. Everything has to be done through Totalmix.

I would use it for performance a lot more often if it truly was standalone - I'm never entirely sure what settings are saved in the device. You basically need a laptop along with it, because the single dial and 2 digit display are practically useless. It doesn't even have clipping indicators for the outputs.

Hugely annoying... acceptable for when the UC first came out 10 years ago but not anymore. Beggars belief it hasn't been updated in all this time.
i was definitely thinking about something like the softube console but more metering. an overview of eq settings like protools/logic, compression GR, etc. interfaces have been adding more metering lately but nothing too detailed. anything that could display a range of info like that with less mouse clicks and scrolling would improve workflows
HVY
Gear Head

Just got this as my main interface for my editing rig. It almost feels wrong liking the dac side more than on my orion 32. I hear a more open and detailed top end with the Ultralite mk5, not hyped or smooth, just ultra clean and transparent. Haven't tried the preamps yet or the dac, wifey is away this weekend so have all the time in the world.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVY ➡️
Just got this as my main interface for my editing rig. It almost feels wrong liking the dac side more than on my orion 32. I hear a more open and detailed top end with the Ultralite mk5, not hyped or smooth, just ultra clean and transparent. Haven't tried the preamps yet or the dac, wifey is away this weekend so have all the time in the world.
does it come with a manual? last step in my shopping process is to read the user manual cover to cover, but MOTU still doesn't have it on their site
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
does it come with a manual? last step in my shopping process is to read the user manual cover to cover, but MOTU still doesn't have it on their site
Yes a physical one. Email MOTU. They have to have a digital version to make the printed one. Likely just not on their site.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm very curious about this as well. My RME Fireface UC is starting to feel pretty dated and has fallen quite far behind in terms of performance - this MOTU is the first interface that has me thinking about moving on... it's a significant upgrade for a very reasonable price, assuming MOTU has correctly implemented everything and it performs as well as the M2/M4/624 etc.

But RME is the gold standard for drivers and support. If I were to change brands I'd want at least equal drivers, a MIDI controllable mixer, and digital loopback

edit: on Windows here, so Mac experiences are probably not helpful
Are you saying RME has the best drivers for Windows?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfro ➡️
But RME is the gold standard for drivers and support. If I were to change brands I'd want at least equal drivers, a MIDI controllable mixer, and digital loopback

Not really. MOTU, Lynx and Metric Halo have a long history of long term driver support. If you Look at all of MOTU's hardware products made with in the last 15 years and you will see that they are still supported which was one of the main reasons why I switched to MOTU from Focusrite. Focusrite only support its drivers maybe 5 to 7 years max. They have a history of abandoning it's products and going through a lot of product life cycle developments quite frequently. I mentioned earlier that the original MOTU 828 firewire interface was supported for 17 consecutive years! That was also the worlds very first firewire interface invented believe it or not.
Old 4 weeks ago
How does this MOTU's latency fare against the Babyface Pro FS? Split between this and BFPFS.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
There is a getting started page here:
https://motu.com/en-us/products/gen5...tting-started/

it has a bunch of videos for setup and basic functions and a link to the manual which says "coming soon".
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yes, I've been on here for years and years and RME has always been talked about for how great their drivers are. Even take something ancient like the original Fireface 400 got updated drivers in 2019 when it had been out of production for 6+ years at that point. They supported Windows XP years longer than Microsoft themselves did. My Fireface UC is 10 years old and just got another driver update two months ago. Their reputation has never been any less than sterling, compared to, say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15 ➡️
Not really. MOTU, Lynx and Metric Halo have a long history of long term driver support. If you Look at all of MOTU's hardware products made with in the last 15 years and you will see that they are still supported which was one of the main reasons why I switched to MOTU from Focusrite. Focusrite only support its drivers maybe 5 to 7 years max. They have a history of abandoning it's products and going through a lot of product life cycle developments quite frequently. I mentioned earlier that the original MOTU 828 firewire interface was supported for 17 consecutive years! That was also the worlds very first firewire interface invented believe it or not.
On the Mac side, sure, but anybody can write a Mac driver. It's very easy when you have a tiny handful of system variations. The last update for the 828 on Windows came out in 2015. The only recent drivers they have are for the Mk5 and the M2/M4. The rest of their line hasn't been updated in 2 years and legacy products in 6 years. I guess they nail it the first time around? With support like that, I'd hope so.

Lynx has had disastrous issues in the past. The post is ancient - notice the first thing everybody says? Change to RME. That recommendation has never changed in the intervening 11 years. You can find a lot of posts about bad experiences with Lynx and Metric on Windows. You have to dig very, very hard to do the same for RME.

This thread with MOTU is fairly recent and filled with people having issues which has me pretty leery of the whole thing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral ➡️
There is a getting started page here:
https://motu.com/en-us/products/gen5...tting-started/

it has a bunch of videos for setup and basic functions and a link to the manual which says "coming soon".
Yup watched all those. They won't send me the manual yet or even say when they're going to upload it. For something complicated like an interface, I always read the whole manual before I buy. Last (and imo best) way to see what it can really do
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
yes, I've been on here for years and years and RME has always been talked about for how great their drivers are. Even take something ancient like the original Fireface 400 got updated drivers in 2019 when it had been out of production for 6+ years at that point. They supported Windows XP years longer than Microsoft themselves did. My Fireface UC is 10 years old and just got another driver update two months ago. Their reputation has never been any less than sterling, compared to, say...

On the Mac side, sure, but anybody can write a Mac driver. It's very easy when you have a tiny handful of system variations. The last update for the 828 on Windows came out in 2015. The only recent drivers they have are for the Mk5 and the M2/M4. The rest of their line hasn't been updated in 2 years and legacy products in 6 years. I guess they nail it the first time around? With support like that, I'd hope so.

Lynx has had disastrous issues in the past. The post is ancient - notice the first thing everybody says? Change to RME. That recommendation has never changed in the intervening 11 years. You can find a lot of posts about bad experiences with Lynx and Metric on Windows. You have to dig very, very hard to do the same for RME.

This thread with MOTU is fairly recent and filled with people having issues which has me pretty leery of the whole thing now.

Yup watched all those. They won't send me the manual yet or even say when they're going to upload it. For something complicated like an interface, I always read the whole manual before I buy. Last (and imo best) way to see what it can really do

I strongly disagree. Lynx drivers are very rock solid like MOTU. I used the original Lynx Aurora 16 for a good 3 years at a commerical facility I worked at as a Producer that my buddy owned. My buddy that still owns it has been using it since 2010 with current Windows 10 drivers.

The MOTU AVB pro line works on Big Sur. They are also working on new Windows 10 updates that are in the works. Pretty much of their hardware products works on Windows 7, 8 and 10. Name any other Pro Audio manufacturer besides MOTU, Lynx, RME and Metric Halo that supports its products more than 10+ years. Motu improved their Windows drivers drasatically over the last 15 years. Their modern hardware stuff on Windows is a lot more stable than most interfaces I've used out there esp the higher end AVB Pro stuff.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360studios15 ➡️
Thanks for the info. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 first generation, which is very old. They still offer drivers for it but the interface has changed and they don't offer the Focusrite plugins that originally came with it.
I'm now looking to get either the MOTU M4 or the new ultralite mk5
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Hmm.. so the post about MOTU, Lynx and Metric Halo is concerning MACs? Oh no I'm talking about drivers for Windows.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassSaxMan ➡️
Small side question, does anyone know if this device will work with the media volume keys on Macs?
Nope. It doesn’t
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got mine yesterday.

So far all good.

A few things that I missed on the videos.
There is no power button.
It needs cue mix to work as intended.

No extra headphone was my main gripe. But I have a monitor controller so it’s fine.

I’m not into latency and drivers. I have uphoria , rme ff800 and motu 828mkii
I normally use direct out and works fine for me.

Preamps and conversion quality are just moot points in 2021. Different flavors of the same between all of my interfaces.

It gets warm. Not sure if hot yet.

Also, no knobs or buttons to control main mix.
That would of been nice. Oh well.
Most things have to be done cue mix.
Still getting used to it.
It’s made to be simple but still got stuck. I’ll just have to learn it while I work w it.

As a tool it checked all the boxes I needed. Extra ins and outs for outboard gear. Adat for expansion, small form factor, usb c, and price is great.

Just got my m1 MacBook so I’ll see how that works. But so far on Big Sur intel Mac mini it’s fine.

First time with a onboard dsp interface. I liked it.
Compressor and eq worked great. There wasn’t a quick way to disable it. Specially the eq which seems to be by hitting off/on in each band.

Reverb was decent but not lush or anything too different from the average reverb. Delay would of have been nice addition.

It was nice that get a very upfront compressed and eq sound w/o external gear.
There was also an option to record with and without effects. I don’t think I made it work though . It’ll have to try again.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hmm.. so the post about MOTU, Lynx and Metric Halo is concerning MACs? Oh no I'm talking about drivers for Windows.
I'm not convinced by MOTU's Windows track record. In all likelihood, I will not be getting the Ultralite because of it.

If I did, I would likely run it in Standalone mode connected via ADAT in/out to an RME interface
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm not convinced by MOTU's Windows track record. In all likelihood, I will not be getting the Ultralite because of it.

If I did, I would likely run it in Standalone mode connected via ADAT in/out to an RME interface
Your claims has been debunked that's outdated. Stop living in the past. Its 2021 not year 2001. I acutally own the latest MOTU hardware. You are just making assumptions of something that you never used before which is a big difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Temps and 360studios15
Thank you for your inputs.
Let's try to separate facts from opinion.
So the claim is MOTU has some sort of bad track record with Windows machines. And the proof is...?
On the other side the claim is that that claim is outdated, something from the past and has since been corrected. And the proof for this claim is...?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Temps and 360studios15
Thank you for your inputs.
Let's try to separate facts from opinion.
So the claim is MOTU has some sort of bad track record with Windows machines. And the proof is...?
On the other side the claim is that that claim is outdated, something from the past and has since been corrected. And the proof for this claim is...?
I can upload a video to prove him wrong to show how stable the modern MOTU stuff is. I have the M4 and thr 828ES and two Windows machines. Hes not using his own experiences. Just going by what some else said in another thread. MOTU had driver issues on Windows years ago from the early 2000s but now the drivers has dramatically improved over the years that, none of that stuff from the past is relevant to MOTU recent products. It's just the same old repeated lies. I wouldn't pay him no mind.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…