The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gain Stage released six new Virtual Amps
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffbiff ➡️
Awesome recording cprompt, really cool!!! \m/ thanks a lot, also for your support and help with the bug fix.

I have now released a new version that should run without problems related to the recall of amp settings.

Also, some minor improvements are included! Now I have to find out how to send all people the download links again :-)
do you think the cpu issue is even better now?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm one of the first users of Nebula (https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/t/nebula) and at the time with was maybe 15 years ago, it was so cpu demanding a computer could hardly handle 2 bands of eq in realtime. Later on they released basically crappy versions of with so we could mix, then swap them with the HQ ones for rendering...is a solution like that possible with your plug-ins?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theXbucket ➡️
Hi, I used an additional build optimization but I think the impact is not so high and will not lower the CPU load a lot.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker ➡️
Later on they released basically crappy versions of with so we could mix, then swap them with the HQ ones for rendering...is a solution like that possible with your plug-ins?
Quote:
Hi, I used an additional build optimization but I think the impact is not so high and will not lower the CPU load a lot.
I discussed this with Markus privately but he was ok me posting this. I'm lucky that I bought a new PC a month ago with plenty of horsepower (i9 10850k) and here's some other ampsims for comparison:

NeuralDSP Gojira 0.5%
IK Amplitube 0.5%
Brainworx Diezel VH4 0.2%
Toneforge Jeff Loomis 0.4%
Gain-stage Eddie 1.8%

I tried Eddie on my old computer (a quad core i5 @ 3Ghz) and it used about 18% CPU and that would not be usable for me and I think a lot of other people are having the same problem.

My suggestion to Markus was that if he can't optimise the plugins without sacrificing quality, to have a "live mode" and a "render mode" as per cooker's suggestion above so sound quality can be sacrificed but restored when needed. But this feels like a hack and I'm really hoping Markus can find a way of reducing the CPU demands whilst keeping the sound quality.

As a developer myself, I know this is really difficult but it's also not impossible, it just takes time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The vst version seemed a little better than vst3 on my old system. Also, an input gain knob would be very welcome (up to +18db range prefered)
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt ➡️
I tried Eddie on my old computer (a quad core i5 @ 3Ghz) and it used about 18% CPU and that would not be usable for me and I think a lot of other people are having the same problem.
It could be usable if you treat it like an amp, using only one instance of the sim and printing each part to an audio track then moving onto the next track and printing again. Or you could leave the amp plugin on each track after you print, but keep it bypassed so it's not wasting CPU after you've printed.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
It could be usable if you treat it like an amp, using only one instance of the sim and printing each part to an audio track then moving onto the next track and printing again. Or you could leave the amp plugin on each track after you print, but keep it bypassed so it's not wasting CPU after you've printed.
you are wright somehow, but for me this would be a workflow killer. it is better if you can have anything in place and change plugins on the fly without having to render them.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It could be usable if you treat it like an amp, using only one instance of the sim and printing each part to an audio track then moving onto the next track and printing again.
Quote:
but for me this would be a workflow killer. it is better if you can have anything in place and change plugins on the fly without having to render them.
I agree, because frankly I have no idea what I'm going to play 99% of the time and just make it up as I go along. Plus, even when I have recorded something mildly decent, I play around with the sound over and over again until I'm thoroughly bored of the whole thing.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
you are wright somehow, but for me this would be a workflow killer. it is better if you can have anything in place and change plugins on the fly without having to render them.
But you can only record one part at time, so if you decide to make a change to a guitar part you reactivate that particular instance of the guitar sim, play the new part and record it into the printed track, then disengage the plugin again. That way you can keep each instance of the sim on each channel but you're never using CPU unnecessarily. It's just a matter of engaging/disengaging the plugin, which, at least in ProTools, is a simple click.

That said, I currently do NOT do this. I leave all amp sims active for immediate tweaks during a mix, avoiding the need to print, just as you'd mentioned. However, it wouldn't be much of a shift in my process if I had to alter this method.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
But you can only record one part at time, so if you decide to make a change to a guitar part you reactivate that particular instance of the guitar sim, play the new part and record it into the printed track, then disengage the plugin again. That way you can keep each instance of the sim on each channel but you're never using CPU unnecessarily. It's just a matter of engaging/disengaging the plugin, which, at least in ProTools, is a simple click.

That said, I currently do NOT do this. I leave all amp sims active for immediate tweaks during a mix, avoiding the need to print, just as you'd mentioned. However, it wouldn't be much of a shift in my process if I had to alter this method.
yes that will do the trick, but as cpromt wrote. it´s great to have then active and change with a click; you save printing time. It´s not that it takes hours but it´s often the case that you want to turn up or down the gain or the tone controls to refine the sound. If you can´t the advantages from an ampsim decrease and if you dont record and mix other bands for a living rather write your own songs and want to be in a flow, these things hold you back; that´s my experience. Some might find that nonsense but for me it definitely counts. So my choice would be other ampsim which are lighter on the system and i got many of them. But i am happy if these ones can be updated to work better on the cpu and will buy them for sure.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…