The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blue Cat's PatchWork 2.5: multicore processing, Apple M1, promo and more
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stejo ➡️
Can standalone run in the background as an always on vst host? Would have to be autostarting with the system, retaining settings and starting and running minimized in tray.

Currently using open source LightHost for this functionality, but I'd happily switch to something actively maintained and more feature rich like patchwork if it had the aforementioned features.
I can indeed keep running for days. You can start it with a command line with a preset file path so it's pretty easy to automate its startup.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barada ➡️
Unfortunately not, not at least not in the way this is working in other DAWs. Example, I can choose to map plugin parameters automatically, but in Patchwork interface they appear as numbers. Not as plugin actual parameter names. Or something labeled as user wish.

Also there's no way to (for example) map a value from one plugin and assign it to a Patchwork knob, then map some other value from different plugin in a chain - to a same knob. Like macro knob. Patchwork can't do that yet.

Also it can't scale knob range.

But don't let that put you off, Patchwork can do some seriously impressive stuff and chains. I highly recommend it. Somehow (it is a guess) I am sure they will add such "macro" features in the future.

I couldn't care less for oversampling part. I hope they focus on Macro and parameters instead of oversampling feature. I understand some want oversampling, just saying, workflow features are more important - for me.
Parameters mapping was indeed initially developed so that hosted plug-ins could be easily controlled via MIDI or automated in a DAW, so it's currently limited to 1-1 full range mapping. But extending this to a powerful macro system is indeed something that has been on the todo list for quite some time!
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio ➡️
But extending this to a powerful macro system is indeed something that has been on the todo list for quite some time!
Thanks. I was sensing it. In my opinion you did an amazing job and in my view your "chainer" or "rack" plugin is best out of all of them (yes I have them all). It's not perfect but then again, nothing is.

I salute you for improving processing engine and doing optimizations. It was well played decision. And looking forward to future macro system. These things aren't exactly easy, I am aware so I am not expecting them this year.

Plenty of fun and chaining with your plugin anyway.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Gear Head

any chance to get external audio routing?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephone Line ➡️
any chance to get external audio routing?
What do you mean?
Gear Head

Quote:
What do you mean?
If you imagine Patchwork as a Mastering Console, it would be extremely innovative to have the chance to put external inserts (the real outboard actually) inside. Just like Cubase and other DAWs do. It would come handy even in a DAW environment. Endless possibilities
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I started to try the built in FX and they are no joke either. Some seriously good stuff there. The waveshaper is really great.
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Parameters mapping was indeed initially developed so that hosted plug-ins could be easily controlled via MIDI or automated in a DAW, so it's currently limited to 1-1 full range mapping.
I've been one of the people begging for an updated macro system, but one small request: please keep the option of the current 0-100% parameter display in Patchwork has been a Godsend when trying to MIDI map some plugins which use non-standard units of display. The mapping is really happening in Reaper+CSI, but the 0-100% display in patchwork allowed me to figure out on several occasions, where VST parameters were jumping. So if there's any change in the future, please allow the 0-100% display for macro knobs to remain as an option.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
a)
would love to see a huge list of various modulators, lfo, envelopes, randomisers to control any plugin parameter with a macro system fully automatable.

b)
oversampling system 2x up to 32x with a render on off option, to kill all nasty aliasing from any developer.

please @ bluecataudio we need this
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
It's amazing how much difference it makes in parallel processing if you turn that feature on. Yes, I am the type person who would wonder why the speakers aren't working before noticing I haven't turned them on yet.

The more I learn about this, the more I am convinced it's the Blue Cat's meow.

Purchased.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

BlueCatAudio, Ive noticed that when loading a large patch in Ableton or Pro Tools say with up to 16 plugins all saved in bypass mode, it automatically seems to engage the full workload of all those plugins, regardless if they are in bypass mode or not. Is this behaviour intended ? If so any plans for optimizing the unused resources further ?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I can indeed keep running for days. You can start it with a command line with a preset file path so it's pretty easy to automate its startup.
Just tried the demo. And while it can do most of the stuff I'd like, it fails on the simplest thing that shouldn't be too hard to implement: Start and run minimized at system tray.

So, there's my feature request. I want a vst host that's always on, auto starting with windows and doesn't clutter my taskbar.

Functionality seemed great otherwise.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephone Line ➡️
If you imagine Patchwork as a Mastering Console, it would be extremely innovative to have the chance to put external inserts (the real outboard actually) inside. Just like Cubase and other DAWs do. It would come handy even in a DAW environment. Endless possibilities
Yes, external insert would indeed be nice. Inside a DAW however it's quite tricky, as it may interfere with the DAW's own audio driver usage.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins ➡️
I started to try the built in FX and they are no joke either. Some seriously good stuff there. The waveshaper is really great.
Glad that you noticed the built-in plug-ins. They are indeed often overlooked but can be pretty helpful :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre ➡️
It's amazing how much difference it makes in parallel processing if you turn that feature on. Yes, I am the type person who would wonder why the speakers aren't working before noticing I haven't turned them on yet.

The more I learn about this, the more I am convinced it's the Blue Cat's meow.
Glad that you like it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousMeuhler ➡️
BlueCatAudio, Ive noticed that when loading a large patch in Ableton or Pro Tools say with up to 16 plugins all saved in bypass mode, it automatically seems to engage the full workload of all those plugins, regardless if they are in bypass mode or not. Is this behaviour intended ? If so any plans for optimizing the unused resources further ?
PatchWork's bypass buttons indeed rely on each plug-in's bypass capability (when available), in order to provide smooth bypass for real time usage.

Some plug-ins may indeed still use some CPU when bypassed, but there is not much we could do on our end, except have an extra "disable" function that completely disables the plug-in (but it would not bypass smoothly).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I just downloaded the MAC VST3 Demo and it doesn't seem to be universal binaries because the ARM build of REAPER doesn't detect it as such.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncovered Pitch ➡️
The only problem is that the audio connection gets lost every time you put the computer to sleep, so you have to close and re-open Patchwork to get the sound back. My DAW doesn't suffer from the same problem so I doubt it's my interface.

That's odd, indeed. Maybe it is related to the soundflower virtual driver?
I tested this with a brand new virtual audio driver called GroundControl and the problem remains. It looks like this could well be a bug within PatchWork. The meters move so there's definitely system audio coming in, but the connection to the audio interface is lost until I re-start PatchWork.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➡️
I just downloaded the MAC VST3 Demo and it doesn't seem to be universal binaries because the ARM build of REAPER doesn't detect it as such.
Indeed, there is no ARM demo version yet. Only the full version is available as a preview for registered customers: we wanted to do one last 32-bit release before switching to 64-bit only for Mac (to support the M1 processor).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Can anyone tell me if what I’m trying to do is possible? It seems like it but I can’t tell from the manual

I’d like to be able to setup 4 parallel stereo channels to accept input on 4 separate channels and the output on 4 separate stereo channels.

I’d like to do this so that I can keep my global parallel channels in one tidy package on one channel in my DAW as opposed to running 4 separate ones.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if what I’m trying to do is possible? It seems like it but I can’t tell from the manual

I’d like to be able to setup 4 parallel stereo channels to accept input on 4 separate channels and the output on 4 separate stereo channels.

I’d like to do this so that I can keep my global parallel channels in one tidy package on one channel in my DAW as opposed to running 4 separate ones.
If I understand you correctly, this is precisely where Patchwork excels at. And you can have up to 8 separate parallel stereo channels, turning them on or off easily.

Try installing the demo and have a fun with it. There are good youtube videos on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barada ➡️
If I understand you correctly, this is precisely where Patchwork excels at. And you can have up to 8 separate parallel stereo channels, turning them on or off easily.

Try installing the demo and have a fun with it. There are good youtube videos on it.
I own it! Maybe it’s a case of me not explaining properly.

I want to be able to send to each of the parallel channels in differing amounts. So parallel channel one would be on the 1/2, channel two on 3/4, 3 on 5/6, etc. So when I send from a channel in my DAW I could send it to each in varying amounts.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I own it! Maybe it’s a case of me not explaining properly.

I want to be able to send to each of the parallel channels in differing amounts. So parallel channel one would be on the 1/2, channel two on 3/4, 3 on 5/6, etc. So when I send from a channel in my DAW I could send it to each in varying amounts.
That's indeed possible, even though PatchWork was not really designed for that purpose. You just need to insert a plug-in and assign its I/O to do that. For example use the built-in gain plug-in as the first plug-in in each parallel chain. Then for each one, select "audio I/O" and set it to manual (2 ins / 2 outs), select the appropriate channels, and "mute unused channels".

Each parallel chain will process only the selected input channels. If you do not want to bother managing channels for each plug-in in the chain, you can assign the outputs of all gain plug-ins to channels 1/2. You will then be able to re-route these channels to any output channel using the same trick at the end of each parallel chain.

I hope this makes sense!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's indeed possible, even though PatchWork was not really designed for that purpose. You just need to insert a plug-in and assign its I/O to do that. For example use the built-in gain plug-in as the first plug-in in each parallel chain. Then for each one, select "audio I/O" and set it to manual (2 ins / 2 outs), select the appropriate channels, and "mute unused channels".

Each parallel chain will process only the selected input channels. If you do not want to bother managing channels for each plug-in in the chain, you can assign the outputs of all gain plug-ins to channels 1/2. You will then be able to re-route these channels to any output channel using the same trick at the end of each parallel chain.

I hope this makes sense!
Ah! You guys are the best. Thanks. Since each parallel chain is multicore optimized now, this is going to cut down on my DAW's channel count massively. Thanks so much!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…