Airwindows Mackity: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Airwindows Mackity: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsonics ➡️
I think you're going to be better off also using an installer (try Packages) and notarising the installer. I know, it's agro, but otherwise there could be all sorts of little security gotchas on this journey.
That would be useful to know because my plugins do not use an installer. I get that you can notarize an installer and it'll notarize what's inside it, but I don't use installers or the App Store, so if that means I will never be able to code sign my working M1 plugins I might as well know that up front, and I'll continue to tell people how to use Terminal to do this.

I would prefer to use the Apple certificates I paid for, and I'm still trying to get that stuff sorted out. I've asked Apple from my development account and don't know when they'll get back to me or whether they will offer any option beyond funnelling 249 separate installers through their notarization pipeline.

For now, the MackityARM.zip download now is built with code signing using a "Developer ID Application" certificate, rather than Apple Distribution, even though it's not an application. I've seen some references to that being the right cert. Don't know yet whether that helps. (again, these things will run on my machine just fine, and I don't have two M1 Macs to use, so that one of them would be the 'user' machine that wouldn't automatically use the plugins)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

This is all very exciting news. Thank you so much Chris!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seby ➡️
This is all very exciting news. Thank you so much Chris!
If it's exciting to you because you're running a M1 Mac, can you run the plugin and report back on how it went?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Does this article help with scripting the build of an installer: https://medium.com/swlh/the-easiest-...n-34a11dd08744
I've scripted package builds in the past but not in a while. It ought to be doable to build a shell script to automate building all of yours.

I can try out the plugin on an M1 later today if someone doesn't get there first.

PS. hello from another part of VT!

Last edited by MrKahuna; 1 week ago at 12:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKahuna ➡️
Does this article help with scripting the build of an installer: https://medium.com/swlh/the-easiest-...n-34a11dd08744
I've scripted package builds in the past but not in a while. It ought to be doable to build a shell script to automate building all of yours.

I can try out the plugin on an M1 later today if someone doesn't get there first.

PS. hello from another part of VT!
Hello! Please do try out the plugin on an M1. I'm already automating a bunch of this just through running elaborate find and replace things including grep (which will be in the note I include with the source when that goes live). Some of it, like typing in the AU subtype for each of 249 different plugins, is manual. Likewise with some repetitive actions deleting old libraries in the XCode project file and dragging in a pre-arranged replacement. A shell script won't do that but I'm in the middle of doing it. Literally: yesterday, I did all those subtype codes and made every one match what's in the version file, without error. Today, it's 249 repetitions of various other things.

Installer is off the table. I don't distribute that stuff that way, and won't use an executable file to get around people knowing where things go in their computer. It's MIT licensed open source so if anybody wants to stick a GUI on my stuff and build it into installers they're more than welcome to: the price for running the 'bare metal' DSP code exactly the way I do it, is to learn how to put a .component file into your computer so the DAW can find it. Fortunately, you can put entire folders of files into the proper place (as long as they're not still in the folder!) and I can sort everything out so you're given a folder with the right stuff in it. It won't be an installer because people will need to know where stuff is located in case there's a problem.

One thing you can tell me if you try installing the plugin on an M1, is whether it's letting you run it, or whether I also have to continue to tell people how to allow stuff through Gatekeeper in Terminal. I am using Apple's code signing, in automatic form, and I have the correct signing certificate. I ought to be able to send the plugins through Apple's notarization process (249 times) if that turns out to be necessary. But they are going to be in zip files, not an installer. Individual zip files, and larger groups.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It’s a pity when threads morph into install woes...

How do people think this sounds? I really like it and it really brings some strong vibe. Is it 100% accurate and authentic sounding? I don’t know, but it makes my completely ITB drum ‘n’ bass production in 2021 sound much more like a mid 90s production to my tired old ears (You do need a couple more plugins to slyly slip into the mix, though). Oh, and I can hit the pretty damn authentic sound FAST.

How it transforms a sine sub bass is pretty damn sublime.

Running a 909 and 303 through it scratches my Stay up Forever itch.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Chris. We thought a plug-in like this would never come.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Amazing work Chris! You've probably made the entire DnB crowd drool. Including me!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is it possible someone can DM me the mac VST. This is the first time that I can't DL from gearslutz, occasionally the case, and Chris' website, never had a problem before.

I tried to download the full zip of all the plugs but the same thing occurs.

The link to the Chord Clide PDF works fine. Weird. Guess it's a .zip thing. Why I'd be suddenly blocked from the party, dunno

This sounds right up my alley so I'd love to give it a spin.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj ➡️
But they are going to be in zip files, not an installer. Individual zip files, and larger groups.
Just a heads-up if you're not aware, Google Chrome will be blocking downloads of zip files from HTTP sites from roughly June this year, for "security":

https://9to5google.com/2020/02/06/ch...ure-downloads/

You'll need to go through all the old pages and update the download links to keep them working with Chrome (argh). If you just remove the http://www.airwindows.com/ at the start of each of the links, ie so your download links just start with the /wp-content/ folder portion, the browser should correctly append the https or http and domain depending how visitors have arrived at the site.

Between Google Chrome & Apple, the tech giants seem determined to crush indie developers and any kind of software freedom...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Sounds awesome!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyneRyder ➡️
Just a heads-up if you're not aware, Google Chrome will be blocking downloads of zip files from HTTP sites from roughly June this year, for "security":

You'll need to go through all the old pages and update the download links to keep them working with Chrome (argh). If you just remove the http://www.airwindows.com/ at the start of each of the links, ie so your download links just start with the /wp-content/ folder portion, the browser should correctly append the https or http and domain depending how visitors have arrived at the site.

Between Google Chrome & Apple, the tech giants seem determined to crush indie developers and any kind of software freedom...
Although you say June, perhaps this explains my sudden problem. Time to get off Chrome.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hello! Please do try out the plugin on an M1. I'm already automating a bunch of this just through running elaborate find and replace things including grep (which will be in the note I include with the source when that goes live). Some of it, like typing in the AU subtype for each of 249 different plugins, is manual. Likewise with some repetitive actions deleting old libraries in the XCode project file and dragging in a pre-arranged replacement. A shell script won't do that but I'm in the middle of doing it. Literally: yesterday, I did all those subtype codes and made every one match what's in the version file, without error. Today, it's 249 repetitions of various other things.

Installer is off the table. I don't distribute that stuff that way, and won't use an executable file to get around people knowing where things go in their computer. It's MIT licensed open source so if anybody wants to stick a GUI on my stuff and build it into installers they're more than welcome to: the price for running the 'bare metal' DSP code exactly the way I do it, is to learn how to put a .component file into your computer so the DAW can find it. Fortunately, you can put entire folders of files into the proper place (as long as they're not still in the folder!) and I can sort everything out so you're given a folder with the right stuff in it. It won't be an installer because people will need to know where stuff is located in case there's a problem.

One thing you can tell me if you try installing the plugin on an M1, is whether it's letting you run it, or whether I also have to continue to tell people how to allow stuff through Gatekeeper in Terminal. I am using Apple's code signing, in automatic form, and I have the correct signing certificate. I ought to be able to send the plugins through Apple's notarization process (249 times) if that turns out to be necessary. But they are going to be in zip files, not an installer. Individual zip files, and larger groups.
Hi Chris,

The ARM version doesn't work right off. The first message I get is that "Mackity.component can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software". Then when I say OK, in System Prefs>Security I get the message "Mackity.component was blocked from use because it is not from an identified developer." Obviously, I can click Allow Anyway but that's not what you're hoping for.
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyneRyder ➡️

There's a new Wordpress thing that claims to be able to switch you to https, seamlessly. It's part of the Wordpress version I'm on, and it would fix that.

Since it could also destroy everything, I'm not going to go for it until I absolutely have to. I've also got a MediaFire account, paid, that would support putting all the plugins on.
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKahuna ➡️
Hi Chris,

The ARM version doesn't work right off. The first message I get is that "Mackity.component can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software". Then when I say OK, in System Prefs>Security I get the message "Mackity.component was blocked from use because it is not from an identified developer." Obviously, I can click Allow Anyway but that's not what you're hoping for.
Not what I'm hoping for BUT… does it work? If it runs as native M1 that's a lot of what I'm trying to accomplish. I do have an avenue towards following up with ways of codesigning it. Honestly, it should be saying I'm an identified developer since I'm code signing it and I paid Apple for the privilege: here's hoping there's a way to fix this or they've just ripped me off for a yearly charge that isn't delivering what it promises.

More likely, I don't know how to set it up. For now, does it run and work well if you allow it? There's still ways to do that if you know Terminal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There's a new Wordpress thing that claims to be able to switch you to https, seamlessly. It's part of the Wordpress version I'm on, and it would fix that.

Since it could also destroy everything, I'm not going to go for it until I absolutely have to. I've also got a MediaFire account, paid, that would support putting all the plugins on.
FYI I have hosting i set up so that indie/free developers could have free space, no strings, no ads, just free server space with their own client account.
Been doing it for many many years with next to zero downtime and such.

Nobody is really more deserving than you, so if you want to save a few quid, let me know, I will hook you up for free NSA
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The plug is fantastic; haven't used it on every different source, but so far on drums it reminds of the LoFi plug in Pro Tools.

btw, It must be a drag to be a developer in this world where Mac changes its OS every 12 months.
Gear Head

Quote:
If it's exciting to you because you're running a M1 Mac, can you run the plugin and report back on how it went?
Ah alas I am not yet, but I shall be within the next couple of months
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison ➡️
The plug is fantastic; haven't used it on every different source, but so far on drums it reminds of the LoFi plug in Pro Tools.

btw, It must be a drag to be a developer in this world where Mac changes its OS every 12 months.
Ah, but doing it the way I do it has produced a line of nearly 250 plugins that work without a hitch over MacOSes spanning TEN YEARS * **

*if you can get past Gatekeeper not letting you use them

**can't do anything about actual Logic bugs when the host program is broken ***

***they could still fix it, which is why I am determined to have Apple Silicon builds ready: they only have to unbreak a few things that are obvious bugs and we can get another ten years of trouble-free plugins on the new architecture, while still having support for the entire previous ten years on the former architecture
Gear Addict

Yup, once I deleted an Audio Unit cache file it worked sweet and dandy. This was on Garageband, Mackitified a beat just fine, but had to "lower the security settings" in Garageband.
Old 1 week ago
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Good, if I can get it to work I can talk to someone at Apple about dealing with that other stuff. Not the end of the story, but I need to have some reports that somebody, anybody, is able to run the stuff apart from me. These plugins have been running on my M1 even in their Intel forms, with no glitches or control problems, and have been running as M1 when I could get 'em to build, but I can't go by that, I have to have something that at least CAN work for others.
Gear Head

Quote:
Good, if I can get it to work I can talk to someone at Apple about dealing with that other stuff. Not the end of the story, but I need to have some reports that somebody, anybody, is able to run the stuff apart from me. These plugins have been running on my M1 even in their Intel forms, with no glitches or control problems, and have been running as M1 when I could get 'em to build, but I can't go by that, I have to have something that at least CAN work for others.
Wait, did you have to do something tricky to get them to work on the M1 in their intel forms, or did you just pop them into the AU directory, reboot, and puff, there they were?
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seby ➡️
Wait, did you have to do something tricky to get them to work on the M1 in their intel forms, or did you just pop them into the AU directory, reboot, and puff, there they were?
I just popped them into the AU directory, rebooted and there they were. Big Sur 11.2.3, Logic Pro 10.6.1. The sliders worked and everything. I have no idea why that happened.

This is why I don't trust that stuff which works for me will work for everybody else. The M1s seem to really like me. Even Big Sur is being really nice. Bodes well for the future, but I need to look after everybody running my plugins, not just me.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For anyone struggling with the download, I've got it down with 'Dissenter' browser.

Put on break beat and that's some lovely saturation, the squidgy break up on kicks is perfect.

On 808 the only plugin I have that is close in sound to it is The Scream, similar distortion characteristic and that interesting lightsaber tail.

Considering that The Scream is a full on real time circuit modelling and uses 7% CPU as opposed to 0.5% as Mackity does this is testament to Chris' coding.
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle ➡️
For anyone struggling with the download, I've got it down with 'Dissenter' browser.

Put on break beat and that's some lovely saturation, the squidgy break up on kicks is perfect.

On 808 the only plugin I have that is close in sound to it is The Scream, similar distortion characteristic and that interesting lightsaber tail.

Considering that The Scream is a full on real time circuit modelling and uses 7% CPU as opposed to 0.5% as Mackity does this is testament to Chris' coding.
I'm very interested to know who else can't download zips on Chrome, because as I said there's a switch in Wordpress I can flip that is supposed to automatically give me https, just by flipping it. That would in theory immediately fix the problem. My concern is that it might just break the website, but this might be a good time to try it since my dev work is entirely tied up in porting to M1 with no additional plugin for Sunday… the idea was that maybe I can put out ALL the plugins (but for M1) as my Sunday post, though I can't say whether that's realistic right now, the day before… it's been many hours just doing things like fixing the libraries in the project files for 249 plugins, one by one…
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Downloaded it with no problems on Chrome, so it's not happening to everyone
1TP
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm very interested to know who else can't download zips on Chrome, because as I said there's a switch in Wordpress I can flip that is supposed to automatically give me https, just by flipping it. That would in theory immediately fix the problem. My concern is that it might just break the website, but this might be a good time to try it since my dev work is entirely tied up in porting to M1 with no additional plugin for Sunday… the idea was that maybe I can put out ALL the plugins (but for M1) as my Sunday post, though I can't say whether that's realistic right now, the day before… it's been many hours just doing things like fixing the libraries in the project files for 249 plugins, one by one…
Should be very easy to change from http - > https in a number of ways including .htaccess, find and replace in the database. Take a backup and you'll be able to restore easily if stuff goes wrong.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TP ➡️
Should be very easy to change from http - > https in a number of ways including .htaccess, find and replace in the database. Take a backup and you'll be able to restore easily if stuff goes wrong.
Chris- I wasn't able to DL Mackity on Chrome, so I used Firefox on my other computer. As a general rule though, I don't have an issue downloading zips on my Chromebook.
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm very interested to know who else can't download zips on Chrome, because as I said there's a switch in Wordpress I can flip that is supposed to automatically give me https, just by flipping it.
I've had it for a few months now on Chrome, this has been my 'workaround':

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete ➡️
If you right click the link and click 'Save Link As' it'll then download (but once downloaded also complain that it can't be downloaded securely - Just click the ^ arrow to the right of that message and press 'Keep')
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm very interested to know who else can't download zips on Chrome…
I can but only if i right click & save as.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My god, this is incredible. Chris has done it again.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…