The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High Voltage Audio - Vintage Modern Compressor (VMC-76) Released!
Old 2 weeks ago
Hardware High Voltage Audio - Vintage Modern Compressor (VMC-76) Released!

The VMC-76 is our modern take on a vintage classic - the venerable FET compressor! Instead of reinventing the wheel, our approach was to ambitiously reimagine this iconic design. In a sea of clones, our aim was to bring something truly unique to the table. The only thing better than one FET compressor is two! From a form factor perspective, we have taken what is traditionally a single channel, 2RU beast and halved the size to 1RU whilst doubling the channel count. If that wasn't enough, there are two switchable output stages, each with a different voicing: a modern, transparent solid state output stage and a true (not starved plate!) high voltage, colored tube output stage.

As a dual mono/stereo unit, we have succeeded where traditional FET compressors have failed. The FET compressors of old are notoriously difficult to use in stereo operation due to the dependency on matched FETs across both units/channels. The unmatched FETs across separate units and wide parts tolerances makes traditional stereo operation very problematic. To remedy this, our units feature quad matched FETs which are painstakingly matched by hand. The use of high tolerance components across both channels ensures accurate metering and stereo operation where controls are set identically on both channels.

Whilst excelling on the typical sources - drums, vocals and bass, the VMC-76 also lends itself to a typically uncommon application for FET compressors: mix bus compression. Key features which make the VMC-76 capable of very transparent mix bus compression include: a subtle 2:1 ratio, a switchable fixed side chain high pass filter (which prevents heavy low-end content causing over compression), a mix control, which allows you to dial in the ideal wet/dry mix ratio, as well as enabling the quick and easy use of hardware based parallel compression. Where transparency is not the objective, we have included the beloved "all-buttons-in" (SLAM) mode which is a timeless favorite for squashing drums and bringing out larger than life room ambiance.

Specifications

Compressor Type: Field-Effect Transistor (FET)
Channels: Two (2) channel, dual mono
Rack space: 19” 1RU
Controls: INPUT, OUTPUT, ATTACK, RELEASE, RATIO (stepped), MIX
Ratios (5 step rotary switch): 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, 12:1, 20:1
Attack (potentiometer): SLOW - FAST
Release (potentiometer): SLOW - FAST
Pushbuttons: TUBE/SS, HPF (@ 100Hz), IN, SLAM, METER
Inputs & Outputs: Balanced 3 pin XLR with relay bypass
Output Stages: (Switchable) between solid state electronically balanced output and transformer balanced, tube gain stage using 2 x ECC88 tubes
THD: 0.5% or better
Noise Floor: -80dB or better
Warranty: One Year Warranty

Price: $2100 (AUD) / approx. $1600 (USD)

More information on our page:

http://www.highvoltageaudio.net/vmc.html#main
Attached Thumbnails
High Voltage Audio - Vintage Modern Compressor (VMC-76) Released!-76-1.jpg   High Voltage Audio - Vintage Modern Compressor (VMC-76) Released!-76-2.jpg   High Voltage Audio - Vintage Modern Compressor (VMC-76) Released!-76-3.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
interesting!.. and it has a mix knob

did I miss the price somewhere?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Thanks for the interest! Yes it has a mix control, allows you to dial the unit in super subtly if required. Apologies we missed the price, I've updated the initial post but the price is $2100 (AUD) / approx. $1600 (USD). Cheers.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
there's a typo in the url FYI - wwww.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Does the dry setting on the mix knob also go through the tube or side state stage?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This will definitely be in my buy list. When will this be released and will zenpro stock them?
Thanks for letting us know, now updated!
Hi coldsnow,

If set to completely dry (fully CCW) the output stage (either SS or tube) won’t be in effect. If the FET colour (but with subtly) is what you’re after then you can always dial in a very moderate wet/dry setting. For instance 20% wet/80% dry would have a pretty subtle effect and would still traverse the selected output stage. Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon ➡️
This will definitely be in my buy list. When will this be released and will zenpro stock them?
Hi Trevon,

Thanks for the interest. At this stage we don’t use any distributor networks. All our sales are direct from our web store. With this distribution model we have had great success in distributing our previous products all over the world. It also keeps the overheads down which keeps the products on the more affordable side of things. Cheers.
Old 2 weeks ago
din
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Wow! That looks badass.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Best wishes from a fellow aussie.

Looks and sounds world class.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➡️
Best wishes from a fellow aussie.

Looks and sounds world class.

Cheers
Thanks for the support! Good to see a fellow Aussie here too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by din ➡️
Wow! That looks badass.
Thanks Din!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
wow, that is really appealing. what is the estimated turnaround time for an order shipped to USA? and a technical question: is the mix knob post-output gain such that i can apply say an average of 5 dB of GR, followed by 5 dB of output gain, followed by any amount of mix knob without changing the average level? or is the mix amount applied before the output level gets set by the output knob, such that the average level would vary when applying various amounts of dry signal mix in such a scenario?

apologies if you already answered this question implicitly or otherwise.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Very interesting product, and the 1U form factor is impressive for all of this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrienPerinot ➡️
exactly my thoughhts as well.
gonna watch the demo video tonight.
i just hope i won't like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish ➡️
wow, that is really appealing. what is the estimated turnaround time for an order shipped to USA? and a technical question: is the mix knob post-output gain such that i can apply say an average of 5 dB of GR, followed by 5 dB of output gain, followed by any amount of mix knob without changing the average level? or is the mix amount applied before the output level gets set by the output knob, such that the average level would vary when applying various amounts of dry signal mix in such a scenario?

apologies if you already answered this question implicitly or otherwise.
Hi Dirk,

Thanks for your interest! We currently have stock so we are only at the mercy of the postal/freight service. There is currently no leadtime waiting for builds to be completed, we have some pre built stock on hand. At the moment it appears that freight from Australia to USA is taking around 2 weeks.

Good question on the mix/blend control. I understand your use case. In our implementation, the mix control is post gain. We were trying to replicate the typical DAW aux/send behaviour when using parallel compression routing. The other consideration was that in the situation where the signal was being nuked, if make up gain was not in the blend circuit you would barely hear the wet signal. Definitely pros and cons in either approach.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrienPerinot ➡️
Thanks Adrien. We thought something of this size with this many features would be somewhat of an innovation. Rack space seems be at a premium these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs ➡️
exactly my thoughhts as well.
gonna watch the demo video tonight.
i just hope i won't like it.
I hope that you do Let us know your thoughts once you get a chance to check it out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
just watched the video.
i was quite surprised that this unit seems to do the opposite of what i expected.
the 2bus examples sounded excellent, the single track sources didn't impress me much.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs ➡️
just watched the video.
i was quite surprised that this unit seems to do the opposite of what i expected.
the 2bus examples sounded excellent, the single track sources didn't impress me much.
Interesting! Thanks for the feedback. To be honest I find isolated instrument samples a bit arbitrary, they don’t make much sense on their own. We put a fair of time in considering how the unit would perform on mix bus, so I am glad that is reflected.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Is there no link function?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnow ➡️
Is there no link function?
Not required, with the quad matched FETs and other high tolerance components, both channels track precisely with control positions set identically on both channels. FET compressors are notoriously difficult to stereo link. All the current stereo link options for FET compressors are problematic. They alter attack and release times and cause stereo imaging drift. Quad matched FETs is a cleaner solution.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaudio ➡️
Not required, with the quad matched FETs and other high tolerance components, both channels track precisely with control positions set identically on both channels. FET compressors are notoriously difficult to stereo link. All the current stereo link options for FET compressors are problematic. They alter attack and release times and cause stereo imaging drift. Quad matched FETs is a cleaner solution.
So the pots are stepped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan ➡️
So the pots are stepped?
No only the ratio is stepped. You obviously don’t get the pin point precision of stepped switches, however the examples we did in our test video can show you how good the tracking is on stereo sources, even with pots.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Ohhh jeez was just going through the ua 1176, purple 77, and Splice options. With the tube output stage I’m interested🔥🔥
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlutWave ➡️
Ohhh jeez was just going through the ua 1176, purple 77, and Splice options. With the tube output stage I’m interested🔥🔥
Hi Slutwave, thanks for the interest! Our unit is cheaper than all of those options and you get two channels plus loads more features. Let us know if we can answer any questions!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…