The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMG x AFX : ODDSound MTS-ESP Microtuning System
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman ➡️
Colundi anyone ?
colundi healed my autism believe it or not.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Emailed Elektron
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

I have emailed Renoise and Synapse Audio. It would be good if lots of people ended up emailing audio companies (politely!) - it would show that we care, and that we are a sizeable group. If the library only takes under a half hour to implement as it says on the website, and it ends up giving some additional $$ from the microtonal crowd that would otherwise not buy the product, I can't see how it wouldn't be worth it. I have personally avoided several synth purchases solely because of a lack of tuning support.

I am curious to see what companies follows in the coming months.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It's great to see people e-mailing companies for support, it's the only way to get adoption of MTS-ESP. I know there are a few on the edge of adoption, your email could just tip them over the edge!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone knows any free plugins that support mts-esp?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl ➡️
Anyone knows any free plugins that support mts-esp?
According to the manual & website, Surge and the TX16wX sampler, so far.
Here for the gear

We forked Dexed and added MTS-ESP to that. Have submitted a pull request, so hoping that will get accepted. If there's any others you're a fan of let us know, maybe we can contact and see what can be done.
Here for the gear

"EQuilibrium will follow input note pitch. You can play notes to shift it up and down. Set it up with resonators, blast noise through, and it's wild."

Pardon my ignorance here - but this description makes it competitive with and then surpasses the functions of sound radix surfer eq, which currently offers resonators & followers and can be controlled through external midi, correct? I am VERY familiar with DMG line, I have all but 1 of your DMG products, ass-kissing aside, having that sort of surfer eq functionality in Equilibrium, which I know inside and out, would be FANTASTIC. I am just trying to wrap my brain around how I would currently apply this. I don't often work microtonally, so confirming this would help me decide if this would be useful for what i do do. Thanks so much!
Here for the gear

EQuilibrium doesn't have the automatic pitch tracking that Surfer EQ has, but indeed it will respond MIDI notes fed into it, you'll need to enable MIDI in Setup->GUI->Misc.

It doesn't have an equivalent to the "Harmonic" filter but with up to 32 bands you can create a set of notches or peaks that equate to it, then have them follow the notes you play in...microtonally if working with MTS-ESP.

This is actually my usual case for using the MIDI input in EQuilibrium...I have a preset which has nodes at harmonic intervals which I can drop on a synth or bass line to shape the harmonic content, then feed it from the MIDI part so it follows a long.
Here for the gear

ah so equilibrium has had this functionality through midi the entire time so i didnt know it "in and out" ahaha thanks.
Lives for gear

Okay, so it says you can morph between tuning systems and change the pitches of notes and chords as you play them, but how? I don't mean how does the plugin manage it, but rather how do I manage it? For example: Can I sweep through multiple tuning systems with an expression pedal or mod wheel, while playing a standard-style keyboard? Can I use a midi foot controller to switch tunings, or maybe a bass pedal controller, so when I play the "C" pedal, I'm in Just Intonation in C, and when I play the "A" pedal, my synth switches JI in A, all in realtime?

How are people using this, in practical terms?
Gear Head
Is everything outside 12et considerd microtonal?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakaman121 ➡️
Is everything outside 12et considerd microtonal?
Yes. I think that is the most common meaning of the word. It includes historic tunings, non western tunings ,real microtonal tunings like divisions of the octave by 72, 53, 41 and anything else.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone ➡️
How are people using this, in practical terms?
Most of what you're asking is to some extent plausible with the MTS-ESP Suite's Macro system, but this last question is the most interesting one to me. The truth is nobody knows yet. We've created a range of capabilities for pitch but our beta testers in the most part were long-term alternative tuning musicians who were so happy to get everything in tune that the dynamic part of the system was perhaps less immediate and more a path for the future.

We've only begun to explore the potential of what we've made; as with anything on the edge, it won't be all smooth sailing but these are the kind of questions we're interested in hearing answers to. There are so few people that have used this system as of now that we have no idea what it's truly capable of. Hopefully someone will show us.
LAU
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Brilliant

I tried the demo and although I couldn’t get it to work with modartt pianoteq ( I think only the studio version works which I don’t have) it worked instantly with Serum, it has great possibilities. Changing the tuning while holding a chord or a cluster... surprisingly impressive ! I also liked the calm, no nonsense GUI.
Great tool !
Here for the gear

We're using the Standard version of Pianoteq 7 here with no problems. I think the important factor is to ensure you're using the latest update of version 7 of the plugin, or it won't work.

Glad you're enjoying it otherwise!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Can I sweep through multiple tuning systems with an expression pedal or mod wheel, while playing a standard-style keyboard?
At the moment you can switch through up to 128 scales using an assigned MIDI controller. You can smoothly morph between two different tuning systems using the Scale Morph macro. The tunings that you're morphing between can be changed via MIDI controllers so you can set up endless morphing in this way. I recommend checking out the Scale Morph macro section in the manual. At some point I plan on adding a List Morph macro too, which will allow you to morph through a portion of, or the entire Scale List, although it probably won't include the "Nearest" morph type, to avoid CPU burn.

Quote:
Can I use a midi foot controller to switch tunings, or maybe a bass pedal controller, so when I play the "C" pedal, I'm in Just Intonation in C, and when I play the "A" pedal, my synth switches JI in A, all in realtime?
The Transpose macro is your friend here, set to "Steps Only" mode. Using your example, set the transpose amount to 3 to move from C to A, since C is 3 steps above A. Again, worth checking out the Transpose macro section in the manual. At the moment the Transpose macro can only be controlled by CC, not note key switches. I guess if there was the option to set a reference key along with a range for key switches then that would be possible. Will certainly give that some thought!

Here's the manual if you want to peruse: https://oddsound.com/dl/ODDSound_MTS...ter_Manual.pdf.
Gear Head
wonder if this works well for sound designing kicks with the abillity to add sub harmonics etc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Add a midi input that detects the currently played chord and switches the tuning on-the-fly to make that chord harmonically perfect and you’ve got a real game changer here
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODDSound ➡️
... it probably won't include the "Nearest" morph type, to avoid CPU burn...
Are you sure? A bunch of computers reduced to smouldering ashes and the line 'the plug-in that's too hot to handle' sounds like a solid gold ad campaign.
Here for the gear

We'll certainly consider some kind of justifying macro in the future.
Here for the gear

No computers were harmed in the retuning of this plugin.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Does somebody here on GS could help me? How do you route this plugin in Pro Tools ?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldorodeo ➡️
Does somebody here on GS could help me? How do you route this plugin in Pro Tools ?
p. 39 of the midi client manual. The division of necessary info between 2 manuals is a bit confusing.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark ➡️
p. 39 of the midi client manual. The division of necessary info between 2 manuals is a bit confusing.
The manual is not really correct though - it only shows how to set this plugin up for monophonic use. MIDI tracks in Pro Tools can only send one MIDI channel at a time.

So, if you want to use this polyphonically, you have to:

1. Create two instrument tracks with the Master and Client plugins

2. Create one MIDI track for every single channel you want to use. For the first of these, set the input to MTS_ESP MIDI client out, channel 1 and set the output to channel 1 of the plugin or hardware synth you want to control. then set the 2nd track to Client out channel 2 > hardware synth channel 2, then move on to track 3- channel 3 etc.

If you want to do full MPE, you need to create 16 individual MIDI tracks. (you can at least group them and edit them as a whole, but in general, ) You also need to record-arm every single one of these tracks to pass the MIDI through.

Anyway, I got this working polyphonically with a Chroma Polaris and a Roland MKS-50 today, pretty cool. Timing gets pretty sloppy with these old synths though.

Last edited by 13chroma20; 1 week ago at 10:12 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Is i t possible to acces chord banks without a launchpad?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13chroma20 ➡️
The manual is not really correct though - it only shows how to set this plugin up for monophonic use. MIDI tracks in Pro Tools can only send one MIDI channel at a time.
Ah, thanks for pointing that out, indeed correct. There was me thinking the "Any channel" option actually meant any channel. I'll get it amended.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’d like to know this too please?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Not currently. I guess it only makes sense with the Launchpad at the moment as that is the thing that is triggering the chords. If you were playing from e.g. a piano keyboard controller, the MIDI would just be going direct to the synth, not via MTS-ESP master, which is where the chord triggering happens.

I can see that it would be useful to store a bank of chords with a scale, regardless of whether there's a Launchpad in use or not. I've been thinking it would be great to have some kind of auto chord generation too, so you could load up any scale and analyse to produce a bunch of chords that you can start playing with straight away.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODDSound ➡️
Not currently. I guess it only makes sense with the Launchpad at the moment as that is the thing that is triggering the chords. If you were playing from e.g. a piano keyboard controller, the MIDI would just be going direct to the synth, not via MTS-ESP master, which is where the chord triggering happens.

I can see that it would be useful to store a bank of chords with a scale, regardless of whether there's a Launchpad in use or not. I've been thinking it would be great to have some kind of auto chord generation too, so you could load up any scale and analyse to produce a bunch of chords that you can start playing with straight away.
I was wondering were u where basing these structures chords on ? Since all chord structures are dependend on 12 et if im not mistaken ?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…