The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audeze LCD-X and XC Headphones
Old 5th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
So soundsource is know to intergrate with pt hdx systems ?
I couldn’t get it to do that.
Dunno about that actually. BUT you could also try Audio Hijack which is a bit more flexible in terms of routing. Worth exploring.
Old 5th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Dunno about that actually. BUT you could also try Audio Hijack which is a bit more flexible in terms of routing. Worth exploring.
I tried that one as well.no go
I think it’s the hdx is a more closed system with the dsp cards than runnng natively
Old 6th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I tried that one as well.no go
I think it’s the hdx is a more closed system with the dsp cards than runnng natively
Ah bummer. If it were me, I'd just run the eq correction last on my master bus, and disable it when rendering. The use sound source for all of the other DAWs, Spotify etc.
Old 6th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
Ah bummer. If it were me, I'd just run the eq correction last on my master bus, and disable it when rendering. The use sound source for all of the other DAWs, Spotify etc.
I ran fabfilter pro Q3 like that for a bit but switching around btw speakers quickly and stuff sometimes I’d forget to bypass it lol.
And like I said it was limiting to not be able to just walk outside and check mixes on an iPhone or iPad quickly on the same headphones with all this outside eq shenanigans
Also I host live client mix sessions with the Listento plug in and again it would confuse the client to hear an eq going on/off while switching to speakers etc.
It just didn’t jive with the workflow
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It did not
I’m on a PT HDX3
Also no elegant way to jump to various devices..PT,iPhone iPad etc
Love my Xs but the workflow is PITA when software correction is involved since it means you're tied to the output of that specific device. no changing to iPad iPhone or desk output...

wish there was some headphone-correction dongle box or amp with balanced IO that's cigarette-box sized and movable with your cans, not buried in additional software layers of your computer...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by millionmiles ➡️
Love my Xs but the workflow is PITA when software correction is involved since it means you're tied to the output of that specific device. no changing to iPad iPhone or desk output...

wish there was some headphone-correction dongle box or amp with balanced IO that's cigarette-box sized and movable with your cans, not buried in additional software layers of your computer...
Yeah. But the X’s are so heavy, so big, it’s not like I’m gonna go take em to the beach and listen to my mixes. My X’s stay in one place - the studio, where the Little Labs Monotor powers them. I wouldn’t want to power them off an iPhone or IPad even though they say you can, in theory.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
Yeah. But the X’s are so heavy, so big, it’s not like I’m gonna go take em to the beach and listen to my mixes. My X’s stay in one place - the studio, where the Little Labs Monotor powers them. I wouldn’t want to power them off an iPhone or IPad even though they say you can, in theory.
its not really a question of being mobile, it's just that any software correction is locked to that specific device. if I'm referencing mixes through my desktop computer, the Reveal plugin, and the Xs, my headphones as reference becomes redundant if I decide to listen to the same mix coming off my board, or any other device in the studio for that matter, because it won't have that correction.
Old 7th April 2021
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They tried that with the Cipher cable (for Sine, iSine and LCDi models), which IMO was a really clever thing and made me buy three pairs (an iSine20 a LCDi4 and a Sine), but unfortunately they dropped it on the more recent ones.

I just bought the Euclid, which I waited for about 3 years to be released, but the lack of Cipher cable makes things more complicated for phone/tablet use, one has to buy something like Qudelix or the small miniDSP IL converter and make the correction themselves. But I have no idea if such devices can properly drive the big over-ear models.
Old 7th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Do you guys like reveal over sonarworks for correction?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe ➡️
Do you guys like reveal over sonarworks for correction?
In my experience, not for the LCD- X's, no. It doesn't fix the 4K dip. It's surprising too because Realphones fixes the 4K issue with the X's as well but Reveal doesn't mess with it.
Old 8th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
In my experience, not for the LCD- X's, no. It doesn't fix the 4K dip. It's surprising too because Realphones fixes the 4K issue with the X's as well but Reveal doesn't mess with it.
Audeze tend to go easy on their eq correction, because I’m told they don’t want to change the tone of any given headphone too much. I wish they would have more drastic correction for engineers personally.
Old 8th April 2021
Here for the gear
I am aware I am in extreme minority here, but not gonna use any correction on Audeze LCD-XC. My mixes translates fine(LCD-X). I did not purchased 1000++ headphone only to need to use crappy software to make them sound fine. Ridiculous.

I get it with the "monitor" emulation and current market trend, but using "crossfeed" function on my Phonitor 2 is as far as I am ok with going into "monitor" emulation.

Anyway these (to me) sounds magnificent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barada ➡️
I am aware I am in extreme minority here, but not gonna use any correction on Audeze LCD-XC. My mixes translates fine(LCD-X). I did not purchased 1000++ headphone only to need to use crappy software to make them sound fine. Ridiculous.

I get it with the "monitor" emulation and current market trend, but using "crossfeed" function on my Phonitor 2 is as far as I am ok with going into "monitor" emulation.

Anyway these (to me) sounds magnificent.
Is the 4k dip so bad or you are able to learn and translate on your LCD-X's?
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless98 ➡️
Is the 4k dip so bad or you are able to learn and translate on your LCD-X's?
In all honesty I either don't hear it or it doesn't exist.

I understand some people have issue with it but maybe I have improved model or something.

No one ever complained about my work having exaggerated 4k caused by supposed dip.

I know I am going to be criticised even attacked for saying this here:

Let's not forget that big names from the mixing industry were able to produce, mix and master top selling mixes (literally) in a time around decade ago when "correction" or "room simulation" wasn't even a thing or idea.

And they did it on $100 headphones. Like you can literally see Andrew Scheps (beard guy) mixing on a Sony MDR 7506.

I remember 10 years ago some bedroom producer in some youtube video explained how he's doing top selling trance tracks. He was big name and probably is still today. He used like $200 dollar headphones. Because he didn't have option to rumble in late night. I am not into Trance but his mixes were on pair with top producers at a time. Sadly I can't recall his name.

My point is, with $1000 headphone if you spend some time and learn them, you don't need anything else. Just like a good monitor system and yes "bad" room which is what most of us have. I am not generalizing, some acoustic treatment is needed.

I am not against latest tech either, I can see sometimes in the future we'll achieve a point in R&D and probably mix on a super high quality headphones which will measure our head, ear canal and all that AI thing.

Until then, until I am convinced I am not going to be carried away and think how I should spend $400 on a headphone "correction" software which when turned on is making my headphones sound like well....different..

The whole idea is good but concept is preposterous when you think about it.

They are saying like make your $200 headphones to sound like they should.

Then in the same software you have "profiles" for $1500 headphones. And what then, I am expected to believe that all of a sudden software is overcoming physical limitations of my cheap headphones and somehow software is making all of them "linear" and the way they are supposed to sound.

Yeah right sounds legit.

And then there's a room software where I should think that I mix inside million dollar room. I can see a social demand for such software obviously there's a market and demand for that. Sadly most of the world is poor or most of the time people are forced to think that they are poor or that they need latest tech.

I am not going to put names here but one of the "big" players in room software modelling had provided each and every betatesters with 3 (yes number 3) individual headphones. I know this for a fact. Several betatesters actually tried to sell me those headphones which are plastick cheap stuff. No wonder everyone from beta team raved about them at GS. And no wonder company replaced them to everyone who complained and shipped out replacements on company cost.

I love how they say you need to spend weeks inside room software to click with it. How's that different to a situation where you need to intimately know your headphones without any software?

So ok. After saying everything I might just go offline for weeks to not experience flames here..As you can see I am quite different in this whole idea about "correction". For now.

Last edited by barada; 8th April 2021 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 8th April 2021
ILL
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Will there be an option to send existing LCD-Xs for an upgrade?
Old 8th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
LCD-X with sonarworks sounds right to me (pretty amazing actually). It did take a while to get used to the Audeze sound in general coming from HD600s but they are finally growing on me after about 6 months of use.
Old 9th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe ➡️
LCD-X with sonarworks sounds right to me (pretty amazing actually). It did take a while to get used to the Audeze sound in general coming from HD600s but they are finally growing on me after about 6 months of use.
My LCD-X's just landed today. And sitting next to them are my HD600s. I also have Sonarworks. I immediately noticed the high mid dip (I guess around 4k like everyone is saying). So far, it just sounds different. When I applied the Sonarworks profile, they did not sound as good, a little harsh. It think Sonarworks is slightly over-correcting, but that could just be my preference.

Is there a "break-in" period with these LCD-X phones? I need to spend at least a week with them before I can decide if I'm going to keep them or not.

I'm trying to get away from using software correction if I can.

** EDIT - I just tried the Sonarworks correction at about 50 mix vs. 100. Not sure why I never tried this before, but I found a nice balance around the 50% mix mark and it fills the gap a little bit. This "mix" knob is keeping Sonarworks in the conversation now I guess..

Overall, I like the sound of these, and I immediately noticed more detail in some recordings that I did not notice before. I can see they will be better for mixing from that regard. I'm hoping to use them primarily to rely on checking low end, and in that area they seem great.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah I have to say that coming from HD600s I hated these right off the bat. It’s just a different experience and something I had to see if I’d get used to

Quote:
Originally Posted by nater9 ➡️
My LCD-X's just landed today. And sitting next to them are my HD600s. I also have Sonarworks. I immediately noticed the high mid dip (I guess around 4k like everyone is saying). So far, it just sounds different. When I applied the Sonarworks profile, they did not sound as good, a little harsh. It think Sonarworks is slightly over-correcting, but that could just be my preference.

Is there a "break-in" period with these LCD-X phones? I need to spend at least a week with them before I can decide if I'm going to keep them or not.

I'm trying to get away from using software correction if I can.

** EDIT - I just tried the Sonarworks correction at about 50 mix vs. 100. Not sure why I never tried this before, but I found a nice balance around the 50% mix mark and it fills the gap a little bit. This "mix" knob is keeping Sonarworks in the conversation now I guess..

Overall, I like the sound of these, and I immediately noticed more detail in some recordings that I did not notice before. I can see they will be better for mixing from that regard. I'm hoping to use them primarily to rely on checking low end, and in that area they seem great.
Quote:
do these new LCD-X still have the same upper mid dip around 4K?
I sold my pair because the dip was sucking vocals down and weren't great for mixing.
In general (depending which older version LCD-X you had), you should find that dip less of an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➡️
My LCD-X Might need new drivers sooner than later, would it be possible to get the new drivers installed when sending in for repair? And where could I get a quote for the cost of the repair if it's possible?
Yes, but you should also get the ear-ads replaced, as they are a part of the sonic improvement. Just write to: [email protected], and we'll be glad to help. And we have a discount for LCD-X owners who may want to upgrade (but the discount will expire May 31).
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeze ➡️
In general (depending which older version LCD-X you had), you should find that dip less of an issue.
The ones I had were about a year old.
So the latest version is less dip?
I would consider trying the newer ones if I didn’t have to eq them out of gate for mixing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL ➡️
Will there be an option to send existing LCD-Xs for an upgrade?
Yes, we have that. Just write to: [email protected] and we'll be glad to help.
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just ordered a pair from Vintage King!!! I’m assuming they will be the newest model
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 ➡️
Just ordered a pair from Vintage King!!! I’m assuming they will be the newest model
I would definitely not assume that.
They might have older stock as well.
You should verify which serial numbers are the 2021 latest version.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I would definitely not assume that.
They might have older stock as well.
You should verify which serial numbers are the 2021 latest version.
I’m doing that now!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The ones I had were about a year old.
So the latest version is less dip?
I would consider trying the newer ones if I didn’t have to eq them out of gate for mixing.
Same here. I think I heard the newer version are from Nov 2020 onward but, not sure. Hopefully @ Audeze can speak specifically to that here.

I did miss their bottom extension/depth after selling mine but I also just can't deal with the eq correction thing without a hassle.

I've recently heard a few other studio folks mention that the new ver. still do have a "bit" of 4k-ish recession.
But, they're said to be appreciably improved. It was described to me as more like a 4db dip as compared to their previous 8-10db-ish dip.

I don't judge Audeze harshly. HP voicing is a tricky balancing act of compromises. I personally have yet to feel comfortable leaning on HP's over monitors for mix but, might check the new ones out at some point.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d ➡️
Same here. I think I heard the newer version are from Nov 2020 onward but, not sure. Hopefully @ Audeze can speak specifically to that here.

I did miss their bottom extension/depth after selling mine but I also just can't deal with the eq correction thing without a hassle.

I've recently heard a few other studio folks mention that the new ver. still do have a "bit" of 4k-ish recession.
But, they're said to be appreciably improved. It was described to me as more like a 4db dip as compared to their previous 8-10db-ish dip.

I don't judge Audeze harshly. HP voicing is a tricky balancing act of compromises. I personally have yet to feel comfortable leaning on HP's over monitors for mix but, might check the new ones out at some point.
I've been working with my LCD-X's + Amphion Two 15 combo for awhile now and they compliment each other very well. I'm not someone who can mix solely on headphones - I need to start a mix on monitors and then do the whole back and forth thing with phones for it to work for me and the LCD-X's have never failed me in this regard. Any time I put my LCD-X's on it's usually an eye opening experience for the low end / low mid area and it's helped me whip things into shape in that region way faster. When I pop the mix back on the Two 15's after adjusting the low end it always sounds better than just solely mixing on the 15's.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d ➡️
It was described to me as more like a 4db dip as compared to their previous 8-10db-ish dip.
Jesus, which version??

My LCD-X are from 2017 and most definitely don't have a 8dB dip in the 4k region, there's a bit of a dip compared to my HD 650 but it's really mild
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I contacted Audeze about the upgrade, they quoted me at $400 plus shipping both ways and I was going to do it but when I asked about what had been improved I was given some really dodgy responses. I really just wanted to get some more detail on the improvements of the drivers regarding the frequency response, definition, clarity, low end dynamics, instrument separation, sound staging, that sorta thing but I was told by the VP of sales that the details were their "intellectual property" and that the things I asked about are "really subjective".

Well, they did a very good job at convincing me not to get the "upgrade" 🤪
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➡️
I contacted Audeze about the upgrade, they quoted me at $400 plus shipping both ways and I was going to do it but when I asked about what had been improved I was given some really dodgy responses. I really just wanted to get some more detail on the improvements of the drivers regarding the frequency response, definition, clarity, low end dynamics, instrument separation, sound staging, that sorta thing but I was told by the VP of sales that the details were their "intellectual property" and that the things I asked about are "really subjective".

Well, they did a very good job at convincing me not to get the "upgrade" 🤪
Yeah that kind of malarkey dodgeball response from an audio company makes me run in the opposite direction.
IE:you prolly ain’t gettin my dough.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…