The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focal Releases Two New Alpha Evo Monitors
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogaz ➡️
I compared the Apha 50 and Alpha 50 Evo in the store today ... and the older model sounds much more natural and has a better punch. The Alpha Evo is a very detailed monitor and has a wider picture, but the sound quality itself is much more two-dimensional and slightly irritating in the upper midtones. Probably all this is a consequence of the transition to d class. Everything sounds a lot more sterile.

I apologize Focal but objectively speaking the original alpha are much better speakers. They look and sound much more expensive than they are...
Amazing speakers can sound very underwhelming in store demo rooms. These are some of the absolute worst places to demo monitors. I've heard pairs of speakers that I know intimately, sound vastly different than they do in a proper studio when placed among a wall of speakers typical of store demo rooms. When a cheap Yamaha monitor sounds better than a top of the line PSI or Genelec, you quickly realize that these demo rooms tend to vastly skew reality.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogaz ➡️
I compared the Apha 50 and Alpha 50 Evo in the store today ... and the older model sounds much more natural and has a better punch. The Alpha Evo is a very detailed monitor and has a wider picture, but the sound quality itself is much more two-dimensional and slightly irritating in the upper midtones. Probably all this is a consequence of the transition to d class. Everything sounds a lot more sterile.

I apologize Focal but objectively speaking the original alpha are much better speakers. They look and sound much more expensive than they are...
You mean subjectively speaking. Your sighted impressions are not objective information, sorry.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened ➡️
You mean subjectively speaking. Your sighted impressions are not objective information, sorry.
I was just about to say this. Thank you!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ Focal

Any reviews coming soon?

I’m interested in the alpha 65 and specifically how they compare with the shapes(I absolutely love those speakers). Of course I’m not expecting the same quality of a speaker that cost twice as much but still.. I hope they are not too far off
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened ➡️
Of course it’s subjective, because I listened with my ears. There are no objective ears. Two friends who were with me confirmed the same. If I hadn't heard both pairs, at the same time, I would have said that EVOs are phenomenal monitors, detailed and flat ... But that interactive 3D effect that older Alphas have is what left a very big impression on me. By the way, I have an Alpha 50 at home and that's why I went to see how much better the new version is.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecarny ➡️
I didn't notice that until you mentioned it.

Happy Alpha 50 user who's considering the same thing.

I'm on Adams 75% of the time, but that standby when I switch over drives me insane
"Auto standby" doesn't work well, too bad that there's no option to turn off this feature on the previous models. At a low level they turn off which is really anoying, and the need to push the gain, sometimes a lot, to wake up them, depending of the audio content, not good at all.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have a feeling the auto shutoff and back on thresholds were tweaked on later original Alphas
Works perfectly for me
Never have to worry about turning them off
Turn back on easily when back in use
(I guess I'm in the minority on this issue)
I've had 65s for about 3 years- Really great speakers and price- I wonder what side by side comparisons would reveal...
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy ➡️
Amazing speakers can sound very underwhelming in store demo rooms. These are some of the absolute worst places to demo monitors. I've heard pairs of speakers that I know intimately, sound vastly different than they do in a proper studio when placed among a wall of speakers typical of store demo rooms. When a cheap Yamaha monitor sounds better than a top of the line PSI or Genelec, you quickly realize that these demo rooms tend to vastly skew reality.
Exactly, I'll wait for more detailed measurements, since I'm skeptical that Focal would go through such effort to design a product that's inferior to the outgoing model, and charge more to boot.

BTW, what store were these located in? I didn't think they had arrived to stores, yet. Be nice to see them in person. Must be europe.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heflys20 ➡️
Exactly, I'll wait for more detailed measurements, since I'm skeptical that Focal would go through such effort to design a product that's inferior to the outgoing model, and charge more to boot.

BTW, what store were these located in? I didn't think they had arrived to stores, yet. Be nice to see them in person. Must be europe.
I didn't see them, you'd have to ask Bogaz, but yea, very doubtful Focal would make an inferior product and charge more for it.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBGB ➡️
I have a feeling the auto shutoff and back on thresholds were tweaked on later original Alphas
Works perfectly for me
Never have to worry about turning them off
Turn back on easily when back in use
(I guess I'm in the minority on this issue)
I've had 65s for about 3 years- Really great speakers and price- I wonder what side by side comparisons would reveal...
Same for me. Ive had my 65's for about 18 month and the auto standby isn't a problem. I checked at the time to make sure they were the later ones as Focal adjusted the standby from what i understand. I don't even have to touch my gain to make them come back on they kick on as soon you play audio through them again.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta ➡️
Same for me. Ive had my 65's for about 18 month and the auto standby isn't a problem. I checked at the time to make sure they were the later ones as Focal adjusted the standby from what i understand. I don't even have to touch my gain to make them come back on they kick on as soon you play audio through them again.
Same here with my Alpha 50s I have since about 5 years or so. Auto-standby never was a problem.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From users..: Would u get the Evo or the Shape?
Thanks!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

When Will The Alpha Evo's Be Available?

I've put in a preorder for the Evo 50's a few weeks ago(primarily due to the major overall from the previous model & of course,because they are made by hand,in France.)
However....since then,I have been drving myself absolutely mental,on exploring other alternatives(in the event that the Evo's are delayed for several months....which is the case of my preorder for the Korg Nautilus...of which I had since canceled.)
I'm tormented over the prospective purchases of either the Adam Audio T-series,or the RCF Ayra Pro's...as I have heard a lot of good things about both & the price points are attractive.
However....both of those models are made in China(Adam has a 5 year warranty)...don't know what the RCF warranty is.
Adam T-series are well reviewed.... but then,Adam has been shipping out free monitors to legions of low-key YouTubers....so I find that questionable.With regard to RCF...well...based on the almost non-existent presence on the internet,they are one of the most unpopular speaker manufacturers known to mankind.
RCF claims to have the same accuracy as coaxial designs,which I find absurd,at their low price points.Another odd thing about RCF,is that both their Ayro Pro 6 and 8 models,have the exact same LF specs...WTF!??
I just received my M-Audio Hammer Pro midi controller keyboard,along with a monster PC yesterday and thought of working with just my IKmultimedia iLoud Micro's,really saddens me.

I NEED to know when & if, the Alpha Evo's will arrive this year? I mean....my Korg Nautilus was supposed to have arrived in February & I recently found out I have to wait until June & I've heard rumors that I would have to wait until December(which is one of the reasons I canceled my preorder for the Korg.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan ➡️
From users..: Would u get the Evo or the Shape?
Thanks!
The Shape are a significant step up from the previous gen alpha. Things might have improved quite a bit with the EVO but I think not to the point that they on par with the more expensive tier.. I’m sure focal don’t want to cannibalize their own products!

Anyway, I really love the shapes and I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of 65 and bam! The new alphas got released.. Since they are 50-60% cheaper, I’m going to wait and do head to head comparison *in my room* and pick up what I feel will give more bang for my buck
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Smile

@ FocalPro

A few questions;

- I’m a little concern over the LF amp power of the EVO 65. It seems to be quite a bit lower than the shapes 65 (55W VS 80W). The maximum SPL is 5 db lower as well. I makes me wonder if the new alpha are inadequate for electronic music like house & techno. I’m worried that the bass will not hold well at higher volume settings.. Can you elaborate on the differences between the two in term amp power and low frequency extension/handling?

- When are you expecting to see some reviews out (soundonsound, music radar & tech etc) ?

- Finally, when will I be able to purchase the EVOs? Is it a worldwide release? I’m located in Japan ATM..

Thanks in advance!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate ➡️
@ FocalPro

A few questions;

- I’m a little concern over the LF amp power of the EVO 65. It seems to be quite a bit lower than the shapes 65 (55W VS 80W). The maximum SPL is 5 db lower as well. I makes me wonder if the new alpha are inadequate for electronic music like house & techno. I’m worried that the bass will not hold well at higher volume settings.. Can you elaborate on the differences between the two in term amp power and low frequency extension/handling?

- When are you expecting to see some reviews out (soundonsound, music radar & tech etc) ?

- Finally, when will I be able to purchase the EVOs? Is it a worldwide release? I’m located in Japan ATM..

Thanks in advance!
Considering that I've owned several monitors with a 50w power rating for the woofer, these will get plenty loud. I currently use genelec 8030c that 50w+50w, they will deafen you if want them to. 50w can be seriously loud, but people generally have a really terrible idea of how wattage can translate to volume so they don't think it's very much. What most people think is 90+db is usually around 70db for example. You can't sit in front of 85db for more than a few seconds really.

Don't worry about peak spl, you will never use them anywhere near that level anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodblues69 ➡️
[B][COLOR="Blue"] RCF...well...based on the almost non-existent presence on the internet,they are one of the most unpopular speaker manufacturers known to mankind.
RCF does most of their business in the live world and they are certainly a well known name there. A few of the big name live companies have monitors like meyer but I don't think they've ever really competed with the more studio focused brands.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmelo ➡️
Considering that I've owned several monitors with a 50w power rating for the woofer, these will get plenty loud. I currently use genelec 8030c that 50w+50w, they will deafen you if want them to. 50w can be seriously loud, but people generally have a really terrible idea of how wattage can translate to volume so they don't think it's very much. What most people think is 90+db is usually around 70db for example. You can't sit in front of 85db for more than a few seconds really.

Don't worry about peak spl, you will never use them anywhere near that level anyways.

RCF does most of their business in the live world and they are certainly a well known name there. A few of the big name live companies have monitors like meyer but I don't think they've ever really competed with the more studio focused brands.
Wharfedale did most of their business in the home hi-fi world....but when they crossed over into the studio monitor realm,they failed miserably.
I had the Wharfedale Pro 8 active monitors & the only good thing I could say about them,was that their amps had zero hiss.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate ➡️
The Shape are a significant step up from the previous gen alpha. Things might have improved quite a bit with the EVO but I think not to the point that they on par with the more expensive tier.. I’m sure focal don’t want to cannibalize their own products!

Anyway, I really love the shapes and I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of 65 and bam! The new alphas got released.. Since they are 50-60% cheaper, I’m going to wait and do head to head comparison *in my room* and pick up what I feel will give more bang for my buck
Pls do come back after that and tell us what and why did u choose. Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Anyone gotten these in yet? Very curious...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Surely any differences in the top end are due to the tweeters new loading and the curved edges changing baffle diffraction and not the amplifier class chosen.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

It would be nice if @ FocalPro would answer some of the questions asked in this thread... We are potential buyers after all
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Was just about to pull the trigger on some presonus sceptre and the sweetwater rep tried to push these instead. I like focal reputation and drive. Would like some more info on these as I'd like to make a decision soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvactech ➡️
Was just about to pull the trigger on some presonus sceptre and the sweetwater rep tried to push these instead. I like focal reputation and drive. Would like some more info on these as I'd like to make a decision soon.
I don't know about these, but the Sceptres destroy the previous Alphas in every aspect by a long way.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones ➡️
I don't know about these, but the Sceptres destroy the previous Alphas in every aspect by a long way.
It's been a minute since I've dealt with Sceptres, but the imaging is amazing if I recall. That coaxial design influenced (plus reviews) me to buy a 2nd hand l pair of fluid fpx7'. Amazing clarity and detail, for the price I paid, it was a steal, honestly. I'd be surprised if the Focals could compete with a coaxial with DSP for crossover and phase alignment. I'm somewhat surprised that a rep recommended a monitor that's not available, yet.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heflys20 ➡️
It's been a minute since I've dealt with Sceptres, but the imaging is amazing if I recall. That coaxial design influenced (plus reviews) me to buy a 2nd hand l pair of fluid fpx7'. Amazing clarity and detail, for the price I paid, it was a steal, honestly. I'd be surprised if the Focals could compete with a coaxial with DSP for crossover and phase alignment. I'm somewhat surprised that a rep recommended a monitor that's not available, yet.
Yeah, it gave off a weird vibe. He said he'd pick the focal over the sceptre any day of the week. When I asked if he had used both, he said that he's never heard the sceptre in person before...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvactech ➡️
Yeah, it gave off a weird vibe. He said he'd pick the focal over the sceptre any day of the week. When I asked if he had used both, he said that he's never heard the sceptre in person before...
Wow. That's super lame. I'd audition the Sceptres if I were you.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Just go with one and if you don't like them, pick another. Monitors are still largely preference and no one will be able to decided for you. I've used monitors that plenty of folks said were "night and day" over other models and yeah, they weren't. My own monitor search last year left me trying many different brands such as Focal, Adam, Nuemann, Dynaudio and Genelec, they were all quite a bit different and the only way I could determine the right choice was to try them out.

It really doesn't matter if one has DSP or what the driver loading layout is, those aren't guarantees that a speaker will perform better than an alternative. The Nuemann KH80's were easily the most advanced speakers I tried, and they were at the bottom of my list.

You can gather all the info you want on each monitor and ask plenty of folks what their opinions were, but the only real test is having them in front of you.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmelo ➡️
Just go with one and if you don't like them, pick another. Monitors are still largely preference and no one will be able to decided for you. I've used monitors that plenty of folks said were "night and day" over other models and yeah, they weren't. My own monitor search last year left me trying many different brands such as Focal, Adam, Nuemann, Dynaudio and Genelec, they were all quite a bit different and the only way I could determine the right choice was to try them out.

It really doesn't matter if one has DSP or what the driver loading layout is, those aren't guarantees that a speaker will perform better than an alternative. The Nuemann KH80's were easily the most advanced speakers I tried, and they were at the bottom of my list.

You can gather all the info you want on each monitor and ask plenty of folks what their opinions were, but the only real test is having them in front of you.
I have the pleasure of only living 2 hrs from sweetwater. Should just go there but then we could have discussions about the listening environment. I was semi curious if people of this forum echoed some of his thoughts.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thank you for the answers, Josh
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRicciardo ➡️
Thank you for the answers, Josh
Sorry for going off topic, but I presume you are a F1 fan as opposed to the real Daniel Ricciardo moonlighting on GS?

I’m a F1 fan so, your name caught my attention.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…