Focal Releases Two New Alpha Evo Monitors - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focal Releases Two New Alpha Evo Monitors
Old 31st March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The 65 evo. It seems a lot of sites reported the HF as 25 watts, but it seems it's actually 30? The spec sheet says 30. Not sure. Sweetwater changed it to 30, too. Not a big deal, though.
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you Joshua. Ill be in contact.
Old 31st March 2021
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Witch sub can we use with this new Alpha EVO ?
With the new M6 insert, the Alpha EVO could b a good option for any Surround or Atmos monitoring system.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPro ➡️
Which model? Probably a typo.

The cabinet is similar in terms of material than the last one, but the geometry is completely different inside and outside. The port design is also a massive improvement and has a huge impact on the LF response of the speaker.

If you have any more specific questions about the cabinet I'll do my best to answer.
Are there any plans for an Alpha 80 EVO in the works?
Old 31st March 2021
Gear Head

It would be great if Focal expanded their subwoofer lineup. There are no subwoofers for the alpha and shape series.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Which model? Probably a typo.

The cabinet is similar in terms of material than the last one, but the geometry is completely different inside and outside. The port design is also a massive improvement and has a huge impact on the LF response of the speaker.

If you have any more specific questions about the cabinet I'll do my best to answer.
I'm guessing the single large port is lower velocity than the 2 smaller ports for a similar port tuning (and larger ports should have far less issue with midrange pipe resonances than smaller, which can cause audible cancellation dips in the midrange if front-facing)?

Regardless it seems that there was a lot of attention to detail put into the low range. which I'm all for. That's the hardest region to get right.

Unrelated, if a Shape Trio ever happens, consider me right in line for it. I only moved to my current monitors because the SM6 trios were way out of my price range.
Old 31st March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Seems a considerable effort was put into making these better, but there's a lot of new monitors on the market. I wonder how these compare to their significantly more expensive brethren; let alone the speakers in its price bracket.
Old 1st April 2021
Gear Maniac
I Love Focal, awesome monitors! More than one young, producer has a pair of Focal monitors because, of me.

For listening at home, i am considering a 5" pair...Interesting.
Old 4th April 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I use to love checking out new monitors looking for the perfect one for me. After discovering APS Klasik's and their unbelievable low price I never look at any monitors anymore. You can't get any better for the home studio IMO.

Last edited by vm113; 7th April 2021 at 03:02 AM..
Old 4th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm113 ➡️
I use love checking out new monitors looking for the perfect one for me. After discovering APS Klasik's and their unbelievable low price I never look at any monitors anymore. You can't get any better for the home studio IMO.
Agreed! My APS Klasiks 2020's are unbeatable at the price

Dziękuję APS
Old 6th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey all,

Happy to answer any questions you may have about the Evos or any other questions you may have.

Best,

Josh @ Focal

Hi Josh,

Congratulations on the modernization of the Alpha series!
Will there also be an "Alpha Evo 80" version?
If there will be such a version, when will it be available?

Thank you !

P.S. I really liked "Alpha 80", and I would be very happy to have a modernized version of the "Alpha Evo" series with 8 'speaker!
Old 6th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth ➡️

Dziękuję APS
Seriously, the Klasik's are so good they should be illegal ☠

Wouldn't mind getting a pair of these Focals for the bedroom though
Old 7th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth ➡️

Dziękuję APS
Man Im still working on the originals, but just decided it's time for the 2020's. It would have been a no-brainer until I came across the new Hedd's 07 now I must know how they add up. We need a comprehensive toe to toe: APS KLASIK2020 vs HEDD TYPE 07 MK2. The Hedd's are 4-5 hundred more but if they are like Klasiks on steroids than it would be worth it. If there isn't much of a noticeable difference than Klasiks take the cake. We need this show down asap! <modsnip - no need for this>
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Man Im still working on the originals, but just decided it's time for the 2020's. It would have been a no-brainer until I came across the new Hedd's 07 now I must know how they add up. We need a comprehensive toe to toe: APS KLASIK2020 vs HEDD TYPE 07 MK2. The Hedd's are 4-5 hundred more but if they are like Klasiks on steroids than it would be worth it. If there isn't much of a noticeable difference than Klasiks take the cake. We need this show down asap! <modsnip - no need for this>
How can you be so sure? Have you heard them? They just started shipping this week.
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambeste ➡️
Hi Josh,

Congratulations on the modernization of the Alpha series!
Will there also be an "Alpha Evo 80" version?
If there will be such a version, when will it be available?

Thank you !

P.S. I really liked "Alpha 80", and I would be very happy to have a modernized version of the "Alpha Evo" series with 8 'speaker!
I can't elaborate on this, unfortunately. Listen to the force, Luke. Follow your feelings.
Old 7th April 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yeah, it's a bit harsh to dismiss speakers that just released. lol. A single Hedd mk2 Type 2 cost about as much as a pair of Klasiks, let alone the Focals. Way outside my peasant budget. Lol.

Last edited by heflys20; 7th April 2021 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Janky browser
Old 7th April 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I've been using Alpha 80's, they're awesome (except for the low volume shut off). I wouldn't go back to smaller speakers, these give me 35 Hz. I wonder if there will be a v2 of the 80's?
Here for the gear

I noticed the new EVO speakers contain class D amplifiers instead of class AB amplifiers.

That explains the lower weight. I know class D amplifiers also require less energy, and thus produce less heat.

But what does the changed amplifiers in the new EVO's mean compared to the old ones in terms of how it affects the sound?
Quote:
An equivalent Focal match for the HEDD Type 07, would be the Shape 65, or Solo 6 Be, and neither of those are toys. Not to say that the Evo’s are either.
Jtt
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can't elaborate on this, unfortunately. Listen to the force, Luke. Follow your feelings.
Is focal considering different distribution in the US so that prices aren't so out of line with Europe?

I've thought about Focal monitors in the past, but when I looked at the prices on Thomann, for example, I can't make myself pay the substantial US markup.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Kids toys? Really?
Old 9th April 2021 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsprinkler ➡️
I noticed the new EVO speakers contain class D amplifiers instead of class AB amplifiers.

That explains the lower weight. I know class D amplifiers also require less energy, and thus produce less heat.

But what does the changed amplifiers in the new EVO's mean compared to the old ones in terms of how it affects the sound?
You're correct. This is a first for us. Class D amplifiers have a murky past and, until now, we've never felt like they really stood up to their Class AB counterparts. That being said, this new amplifier is also a step up from the previous version. More dynamic range, less distortion and it's far more efficient. One again, all conjecture until you hear them but you get the drift.
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt ➡️
Is focal considering different distribution in the US so that prices aren't so out of line with Europe?

I've thought about Focal monitors in the past, but when I looked at the prices on Thomann, for example, I can't make myself pay the substantial US markup.
I've ordered a few products from thomann and has them shipped to the U.S. because it was just wayyyy cheaper than buying it in the U.S.

Not sure what's going on but I bought a babyface pro from thomann because it cut off like $250 vs. buying it here. Genelec and Neumann monitors are just plain overpriced in the U.S. although it seems like the prices are evening out a bit on certain items.

At least the older alpha's appear to be discounted, although I found them to be scooped in the mids. Was very impressed by their low end though.
Old 11th April 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmelo ➡️
Genelec and Neumann monitors are just plain overpriced in the U.S. although it seems like the prices are evening out a bit on certain items.
But Neumann's are underpriced in general (especially the KH310's), I guess it evens out
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
You're correct. This is a first for us. Class D amplifiers have a murky past and, until now, we've never felt like they really stood up to their Class AB counterparts. That being said, this new amplifier is also a step up from the previous version. More dynamic range, less distortion and it's far more efficient. One again, all conjecture until you hear them but you get the drift.
Seems like the Focal team is putting more focus on the pro line overall lately. Any potential hints at updates on the higher end?

I've always been low-key hoping for a sealed cabinet design on the higher end that's a little more small to mid-size room friendly than the Trios are. I wanted a step up from my Solos a few years back, but room integration pushed me out of the Focal family toward another brand. Secretly pining to reunite though. Especially after a week and some change working on my Solos again, while other said brand is out for some repairs...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Class D amps, even chip amps, have gotten quite a bit better over the last few years. First Hypex at the high end, and now the quality is good enough down to commodity chip amps like the TI TPA 32xx series that it makes sense to start including them instead of whatever Class AB chip amps.

More power to you guys for changing this over.
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy ➡️
Seems like the Focal team is putting more focus on the pro line overall lately. Any potential hints at updates on the higher end?

I've always been low-key hoping for a sealed cabinet design on the higher end that's a little more small to mid-size room friendly than the Trios are. I wanted a step up from my Solos a few years back, but room integration pushed me out of the Focal family toward another brand. Secretly pining to reunite though. Especially after a week and some change working on my Solos again, while other said brand is out for some repairs...
Thanks for noticing. It's great to hear it's making an impact.

I can't elaborate on things coming, but as you can see with the Alpha, we're certainly pushing the envelope. Stay tuned.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for noticing. It's great to hear it's making an impact.

I can't elaborate on things coming, but as you can see with the Alpha, we're certainly pushing the envelope. Stay tuned.
All I'm gonna say is a proper 3-way Shape Trio with, say, an 8-10" woofer and a 4" midrange, if you could price it such that it was maybe $2500/pr, would make for a very good competitor in that price range. The only proper 3-way at that price point is the LYD48 from Dynaudio and it sorely needs a competitor.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslutforgear ➡️
Of course these things tend to happen just after you buy the first version
I compared the Apha 50 and Alpha 50 Evo in the store today ... and the older model sounds much more natural and has a better punch. The Alpha Evo is a very detailed monitor and has a wider picture, but the sound quality itself is much more two-dimensional and slightly irritating in the upper midtones. Probably all this is a consequence of the transition to d class. Everything sounds a lot more sterile.

I apologize Focal but objectively speaking the original alpha are much better speakers. They look and sound much more expensive than they are...
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogaz ➡️
I compared the Apha 50 and Alpha 50 Evo in the store today ... and the older model sounds much more natural and has a better punch. The Alpha Evo is a very detailed monitor and has a wider picture, but the sound quality itself is much more two-dimensional and slightly irritating in the upper midtones. Probably all this is a consequence of the transition to d class. Everything sounds a lot more sterile.

I apologize Focal but objectively speaking the original alpha are much better speakers. They look and sound much more expensive than they are...
That's disappointing to hear. I'm interested in the EVOs. Do you happen to know how long they've had the originals on display vs. the new ones? I'm hoping maybe the new ones just need to break in
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…