The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison introduces Mixbus32C version 7 with TapeX "Tracking And Performing EXperience"
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
License transfer isn't possible yes, but according to the following message there's a workaround:

Quote:
Your best option is to wait until you get an "upgrade coupon" for the next version, and give or sell that coupon to someone else. They can license the new version in their name.
https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-8914.html

As I'm a Logic Pro user nowadays, anyone interested in a v7 upgrade/crossgade option?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It seems like 7 is all about recording not mixing improvements or GUI layout?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➡️
Overkill comes to mind.
No, that is no overkill and also the reason why mixbus never left hobbystatus here. In a testproject that maxed out at 95% in Version 6, version 7 showed 80 to 85%, that is not enough. The recording section is not needed here, i would have liked an option to turn off the built-in channel fx and eq to integrate other plugins better, because it is not enough even in an average bandrecording with say 30 tracks, 6 busses and 6 fx.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfreds ➡️
No, that is no overkill and also the reason why mixbus never left hobbystatus here. In a testproject that maxed out at 95% in Version 6, version 7 showed 80 to 85%, that is not enough. The recording section is not needed here, i would have liked an option to turn off the built-in channel fx and eq to integrate other plugins better, because it is not enough even in an average bandrecording with say 30 tracks, 6 busses and 6 fx.
If you're looking to heavily use other plugins instead of/in addition to the built-in during mixing in Mixbus32C, then you're possibly using the wrong DAW. That seems pretty straightforward. "Turning off the FX and EQ" is sorta like asking for a different product since it's clear from the start that the FX and EQ are integral to the product as a whole - and part of the whole reason it exists.

The easiest way to use Mixbus32C (and Harrison is making strides to make this less of an issue over time as the rest of the DAW continues to get better) is to produce in another DAW, with as many plugins as you want, then mix in Mixbus32C with as few plugins as possible, utilizing everything the DAW offers built-in instead, and using the busses as much as possible to share resources.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
If you're looking to heavily use other plugins instead of/in addition to the built-in during mixing in Mixbus32C, then you're possibly using the wrong DAW. That seems pretty straightforward. "Turning off the FX and EQ" is sorta like asking for a different product since it's clear from the start that the FX and EQ are integral to the product as a whole - and part of the whole reason it exists.

The easiest way to use Mixbus32C (and Harrison is making strides to make this less of an issue over time as the rest of the DAW continues to get better) is to produce in another DAW, with as many plugins as you want, then mix in Mixbus32C with as few plugins as possible, utilizing everything the DAW offers built-in instead, and using the busses as much as possible to share resources.
I started using Mixbus as a kind of summing software, like many others i guess, using the virtual drivers in reaper, then i changed to 32C and imported edited and procressed files into it. I am not new to mixbus, and if i would not like it, i would not have upgraded a few times, but to me there speaks nothing against the option to turn off the channel plugins, It would help to load more plugins, if the developers don't want it to be a full blown DAW, they would not have introduced the new recording part. If you don't want to use it leave it alone, but i can imagine using the built in fx in combination with others, for example drums with the Harrison eq, some problematic sounds with soothe or other eq plugins, the ac guitar with the built in compressor, if it would be possible to integrate that without big problems, why not? It would be faster than to transfer files from other daws and working speed matters, even in coronatimes
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I started using Mixbus as a kind of summing software, like many others i guess, using the virtual drivers in reaper, then i changed to 32C and imported edited and procressed files into it. I am not new to mixbus, and if i would not like it, i would not have upgraded a few times, but to me there speaks nothing against the option to turn off the channel plugins, It would help to load more plugins, if the developers don't want it to be a full blown DAW, they would not have introduced the new recording part. If you don't want to use it leave it alone, but i can imagine using the built in fx in combination with others, for example drums with the Harrison eq, some problematic sounds with soothe or other eq plugins, the ac guitar with the built in compressor, if it would be possible to integrate that without big problems, why not? It would be faster than to transfer files from other daws and working speed matters, even in coronatimes
The point of it is to recreate a console workflow, so if you don’t want the console workflow it doesn’t make sense to use mixbus. The way that they have the sections of the console interface is different than just having a modeled eq or a saturation effect.

I had to stop using mixbus to mix because of stability issues, and I’m using console 1 to create a console workflow in a way in logic, but it’s different than mixbus, where all of that interacts. That interaction in mixbus creates limits like not being able to freeze or bounce in place and having a certain amount of DSP reserved for the console sections whether you use them or not, so if those things are not for the way you work, then they’re not.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 ➡️
I had to stop using mixbus to mix because of stability issues
Same here. I got myself the 32 demo. The audio drops out into a buzzing noise every now and then and tbh I didn't like the GUI. It feels very cluttered.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdornothin ➡️
Same here. I got myself the 32 demo. The audio drops out into a buzzing noise every now and then and tbh I didn't like the GUI. It feels very cluttered.
The noise is the demo protection kicking in :-)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik ➡️
The noise is the demo protection kicking in :-)
How am I supposed to demo a DAW (or how it sounds in a mix cause that's the whole point anyway) if audio starts dropping out from the very first? I don't get it. :/
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Harrison Consoles

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis ➡️
I have regular Mixbus will there be a V7 Upgrade for us?
@ ardis : "Regular" Mixbus v7 is now available. You should have received an upgrade email yesterday.

I'll post a new thread in the "New product alert" forum shortly.

-Ben at Harrison
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 ➡️
The point of it is to recreate a console workflow, so if you don’t want the console workflow it doesn’t make sense to use mixbus. The way that they have the sections of the console interface is different than just having a modeled eq or a saturation effect.

I had to stop using mixbus to mix because of stability issues, and I’m using console 1 to create a console workflow in a way in logic, but it’s different than mixbus, where all of that interacts. That interaction in mixbus creates limits like not being able to freeze or bounce in place and having a certain amount of DSP reserved for the console sections whether you use them or not, so if those things are not for the way you work, then they’re not.
I understand the idea to recreate the console workflow, i learned in a studio with analog desk and tape in the 90ies, i like the sound and i am really fast at mixing with mixbus, but there are many good plugins out there i cannot use because compared to other daws mixbus is not good at running a lot of them, with the new update it did not get significantly better, one of the reasons is, every channel already has a few fx, i thought if you want to improve the ability to run more tracks and plugins, there might be a switch to turn them off(line), into some kind of racksystem. It was just an idea, surely i'd whish mixbus would stay as it is, but with an optimised audio-engine, but i don't see big improvements since the first time i started Mixbus.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I understand the idea to recreate the console workflow, i learned in a studio with analog desk and tape in the 90ies, i like the sound and i am really fast at mixing with mixbus, but there are many good plugins out there i cannot use because compared to other daws mixbus is not good at running a lot of them, with the new update it did not get significantly better, one of the reasons is, every channel already has a few fx, i thought if you want to improve the ability to run more tracks and plugins, there might be a switch to turn them off(line), into some kind of racksystem. It was just an idea, surely i'd whish mixbus would stay as it is, but with an optimised audio-engine, but i don't see big improvements since the first time i started Mixbus.
I understand, my point was that what you’re asking is obviously not the direction they want to take or they would have done it a long time ago. For you it sounds like there are tools that accomplish what you want in a better fashion. Or, do all that stuff with the plugins you need in another program, render to audio, and do final balancing in mixbus. I’m not arguing with you or assuming any knowledge or lack thereof, just that it appears Harrison has a specific vision in mind for mixbus and they are sticking with it.

One of my students asked last night “I’m ready to buy a DAW, should I get protools or Logic?” When I asked her what her goal and intended use was, she said it was making beats and writing songs, so my answer was that Logic would be a better choice for her. Not that one can’t use protools to accomplish the goals, but that is one of logic’s huge strengths. I personally dislike protools a lot but do understand that if working in post, that’s really one of the areas where protools is strong. My point? Using things for what they are, not what they aren’t or what we want them to be. I know you know that, so I’m not talking at you, just expressing the thoughts.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I had purchased Mixbus 3 and 4 licencies years ago. And like many others, I got tired of Mixbus crashing too often. But yes, what a great sound. I guess the crossgrade offer was well thought as I took yet another plunge to the unknown.

Well it seems to be working certainly better this time. (But this time I also have more powerful computer and RME audio interface, my system has been rock solid.) And I notice I don't have to use the saturation plugins I always use with every mixing session on Studio One 4 (Waves NLS, Softube Tape, Studio One Console Shaper) but I also see that I still need my Waves CLA-76 and Crave EQ plugins + the ones I have in my master bus (Slate Fresh Air, MagicDeathEye, Waves L2)

So far so good. I remixed some of my earlier stuff with the Mixbus32C and I think this will be my mixing DAW from now on. I think I'm still gonna do the tracking with Studio One 4 as it's well oiled machine for that purpose.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I decided to get the regular mixbus v7 today since it was $19 so that I could see how it is with stability. In loading some sessions that were in mixbus 6, each with no plugins on them, one opened fine , one will not open no matter what. A new session was created with no problem.

We’ll see. The session that won’t open isn’t a big deal, it’s a multitrack of a song that I used for a demonstration for my students.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…