Acustica intros Sienna: ‘The’ headphone mixing plugin you were waiting for - Page 48 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica intros Sienna: ‘The’ headphone mixing plugin you were waiting for
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip ➡️
You mean the WF's are not the greatest for this tech, or the WH's? I could maybe see why for the former, but not the latter...? They are way different
WH1000XM3 are the ones I have. I use them every day when I am not in the studio and like them very much.

However, I tried them with and without the noise cancelling feature through Sienna and although the sound was usable (and I could probably get used to it) I'd been using the Slate cans for a long time and the balance sounded off to me.

That said I just purchased a pair of Audeze LCD-1s and wasn't wild about the low end through Sienna. The profile didn't lack detail, you can clearly hear everything happening with the low end. It just didn't have the fun oomph I'm used to with the closed back design.

I ended up using the profile for the LCD-2 closed back and I got exactly what I wanted. It still sounds like an Audeze with all it wonderful detail across the spectrum but a little more punch in the low end.

I get the impression that if you check other profiles within the same brand you might find something that works quite well.
YMMV and all that, hope this helps
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
WH1000XM3 are the ones I have. I use them every day when I am not in the studio and like them very much.

However, I tried them with and without the noise cancelling feature through Sienna and although the sound was usable (and I could probably get used to it) I'd been using the Slate cans for a long time and the balance sounded off to me.

That said I just purchased a pair of Audeze LCD-1s and wasn't wild about the low end through Sienna. The profile didn't lack detail, you can clearly hear everything happening with the low end. It just didn't have the fun oomph I'm used to with the closed back design.

I ended up using the profile for the LCD-2 closed back and I got exactly what I wanted. It still sounds like an Audeze with all it wonderful detail across the spectrum but a little more punch in the low end.

I get the impression that if you check other profiles within the same brand you might find something that works quite well.
YMMV and all that, hope this helps
Good to know thanks! I really enjoy them with TB Morphit's correction, so I might try that in tandem with Sienna until Acustica provide a profile for them. Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The one thing that is setting this apart from VSX for me is that the high frequencies sound more detailed or higher fidelity. With VSX, it is like there is a grainy (for want of a better word) quality to the high frequencies in the room sims, which I have found myself struggling against at times.
I find that VSX is extremely revealing and can also be pretty unflattering. Sienna seems very revealing, but tends to sound a bit more flattering. I am finding both very useful, and I am able to get balanced mixes with either.

I am finding the higher frequencies less fatiguing and easier to dial in with Sienna though.

Loving Spitfire ALDEBARAN and Sotto II Mare - SIRIO805.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We have uploaded some plugins with the "possible" fix for Cubase exit bug.
Some users have reported that for them the problem "seems" fixed, let's see what happens to you too.

The products that have this fix at the moment are
- Sienna (currently the commercial one, but in the evening you will also have the trial version)
- Tan (free)
- Coffee The Pun (free)

In case you experience problems you can go back to one version in Aquarius with the "downgrade" function, an option you have for each item on the "Updates" page.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Something that surprised me quite a bit just now. I was talking to a good friend of mine who is also an engineer and he suggested I try LCD-1s on VSX and it worked very well on profile 2. soapmak3r mentioned that the Slate sounded somewhat grainy or harsh and through the Audeze that was gone. Although they sound different than the Slate cans the balance was spot on.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanneal ➡️
I'm glad you don't compromise on sound quality just to please the CPU police.
They already have, lol, when you get time test Nebula.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip ➡️
Good to know thanks! I really enjoy them with TB Morphit's correction, so I might try that in tandem with Sienna until Acustica provide a profile for them. Cheers
We'll try to add them
Deleted 6489f8f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
They already have, lol, when you get time test Nebula.
Don't you have anything better to do?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6489f8f ➡️
Don't you have anything better to do?
You mean like being an experienced engineer with lots of soundscans who's helped many users along the way with AA products and even encouraged them to improve in many areas?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Did I imagine reading there would be a system wide version at some point?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➡️
Did I imagine reading there would be a system wide version at some point?
No, it's coming. It's in alpha.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➡️
even encouraged them to improve in many areas?
Especially in this forum, many people have the belief that insulting another user is the best incentive to lead them in their own direction. Unfortunately, we are human, and we tend to be stubborn and prove ourselves right. Usually the wrong, but also most common, reaction is to go in the opposite direction of a very insistent request. In the specific case of a developer, this translates into a kind of clutch.
Take a code developer: if he likes something, he'll make it for you right away. If he doesn't like something he'll tell you it takes him 99 years.

The only driver for us to provide a timely solution is actually an educated request.
An example is on the previous page: a very polite and very enthusiastic user noticed that a control wasn't working as well as it could and we provided him with a solution in a few hours. I was impressed with the kindness with which he explained his problem, and the accuracy.
I believe education is the best incentive for improvement. When a user with little money asked us for a richer base package, we worked to add spitfire to the collection.
Alright, I'm becoming a mumbling old whiner.
Forget my monologues
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
Something that surprised me quite a bit just now. I was talking to a good friend of mine who is also an engineer and he suggested I try LCD-1s on VSX and it worked very well on profile 2. soapmak3r mentioned that the Slate sounded somewhat grainy or harsh and through the Audeze that was gone. Although they sound different than the Slate cans the balance was spot on.

I meant that I was listening on the VSX headphones and comparing the Sienna and VSX room sims.
I am also enjoying the Sennheiser HD599 SE with Sienna, but am using a custom Sonarworks headphone calibration with it, just correcting the mid dip.

I am finding that Sienna is allowing me to fine tune sibilance, or any kind of digital fizz really well.

I believe it is a difference in the way that Slate and Acustica capture their rooms. The high frequencies are better refined in Sienna, and the low frequencies are better refined in VSX. Both are really strong offerings though!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod ➡️
Especially in this forum, many people have the belief that insulting another user is the best incentive to lead them in their own direction. Unfortunately, we are human, and we tend to be stubborn and prove ourselves right. Usually the wrong, but also most common, reaction is to go in the opposite direction of a very insistent request. In the specific case of a developer, this translates into a kind of clutch.
Take a code developer: if he likes something, he'll make it for you right away. If he doesn't like something he'll tell you it takes him 99 years.

The only driver for us to provide a timely solution is actually an educated request.
An example is on the previous page: a very polite and very enthusiastic user noticed that a control wasn't working as well as it could and we provided him with a solution in a few hours. I was impressed with the kindness with which he explained his problem, and the accuracy.
I believe education is the best incentive for improvement. When a user with little money asked us for a richer base package, we worked to add spitfire to the collection.
Alright, I'm becoming a mumbling old whiner.
Forget my monologues
And then you ignored the "helped a lot of users along the way with AA products" and focused on the other part because it is exactly what you don't like. Indeed, as humans we tend to lead people in our own direction and just take what it feels right to us. Will might be too hard on you sometimes but he's been harder on his AA evangelism during many many years when people didn't take AA seriously and avoided your products.

I know you think we don't like you and maybe have something against you or AA but no, that's not the case Giancarlo. We're just people that had different expections and refused to be "yes-men" just to please your vision. We applaud your success, we're happy about everything's that happened with AA in the last 3 or 4 years because your technology is incredible. We just don't like the way "some" things happened.
Deleted 6489f8f
Quote:
You mean like being an experienced engineer with lots of soundscans who's helped many users along the way with AA products and even encouraged them to improve in many areas?
No, I mean like not being so butthurt about having a falling-out with AA that you feel the need to spam useless commentary on the thread for every one of their new products.

I guess the answer is "No," though.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by valy ➡️
No, I mean like not being so butthurt about having a falling-out with AA that you feel the need to spam useless commentary on the thread for every one of their new products.

To be fair and since I know Will I know he was just throwing a joke about the CPU load of Nebula which is not a secret for anyone. He wasn't attacking anyone AFAICS.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And then you ignored the "helped a lot of users along the way with AA products" and focused on the other part because it is exactly what you don't like. Indeed, as humans we tend to lead people in our own direction and just take what it feels right to us. Will might be too hard on you sometimes but he's been harder on his AA evangelism during many many years when people didn't take AA seriously and avoided your products.

I know you think we don't like you and maybe have something against you or AA but no, that's not the case Giancarlo. We're just people that had different expections and refused to be "yes-men" just to please your vision. We applaud your success, we're happy about everything's that happened with AA in the last 3 or 4 years because your technology is incredible. We just don't like the way "some" things happened.
Often the content is good, but it's a matter of manner. If you forget this, you'll never get people in your direction!
And as an old man, I'm starting to value form.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Often the content is good, but it's a matter of manner. If you forget this, you'll never get people in your direction!
Me too
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Let's not forget ...

'Passion' can yield wording that could be mis-interpreted.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Me too
Me three!

I’ve been learning more and more with each trip around the sun that even in human affairs “the medium is the message,“ how you say some thing is very much a part of what you are saying that affects how you are heard.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

@ zaphod - obviously not talking about now, but would be a chance to incorporate custom HRTF profiles as the years pass and technology evolves? Or a collection of HRTFs and let the people chose the closest one?

These guys make the measurements: https://www.earfish.eu/
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by valy ➡️

LOL, nobody here is hurt in any way... but I did respond to a comment that was very inaccurate and kinda funny from a long time Acustica Nebula user. If you don't like my posts please feel free to use the ignore problem. Responding to me every time will not stop me from anything I write.

I've been one the biggest critics and supporters of AA going on a decade now. Every mix I do has AA tools in it, so I'm not sure where your falling out fallacy you continuously write about is coming from. You may want to do some simple searching, you'll find my critical AA remarks go back a long way and you have the tools you enjoy from them today because of a small group of us critical professionals that helped nudge AA to make many of the improvements you now enjoy.

It's been a long ride and there is still a ways to go, despite what some around here believe.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
G, it a blast reading you talk about manners. It's good to see Scorpio's learn from their mistakes.

On a side note, what would make Sienna crash a DAW on M1 every time it is selected? I've been demoing Sienna on PC for weeks but for the life of me I can't on MAC OS. With so many odd permissions on Mac OS, I'm finding it hard to track down the issue.
Acustica Audio

Quote:
G, it a blast reading you talk about manners. It's good to see Scorpio's learn from their mistakes.

On a side note, what would make Sienna crash a DAW on M1 every time it is selected? I've been demoing Sienna on PC for weeks but for the life of me I can't on MAC OS. With so many odd permissions on Mac OS, I'm finding it hard to track down the issue.
Hello Will, good to see you here as well!
Wich DAW and version are you having this issue with?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
LOL, nobody here is hurt in any way... but I did respond to a comment that was very inaccurate and kinda funny from a long time Acustica Nebula user. If you don't like my posts please feel free to use the ignore problem. Responding to me every time will not stop me from anything I write.

I've been one the biggest critics and supporters of AA going on a decade now. Every mix I do has AA tools in it, so I'm not sure where your falling out fallacy you continuously write about is coming from. You may want to do some simple searching, you'll find my critical AA remarks go back a long way and you have the tools you enjoy from them today because of a small group of us critical professionals that helped nudge AA to make many of the improvements you now enjoy.

It's been a long ride and there is still a ways to go, despite what some around here believe.
Hey Will,

I follow most of your post, and I certainly remember those 'beta' days.

To offer a 'counterpoint' ...

The level We were able to interact, challenge, and push this passion for Sonics and workflows, with <G>, directly in the mix of it all, was quite a unique time.

We could say most anything ... as long as we could back it up. And, we challenged most every limitation that the AA technology was currently at.

We were ALL pushing ... sometimes hard, for <G> to create a solution. And so many times ... He did.

Of course ... We generally did not stop there ...

But the point I'd make.

That all took place in the Private Beta Forum. Basically behind 'closed doors', allowing each of us to express without hindrance, or repercussions. This was generally encouraged.

Importantly ... It maintained a 'Professional' level ... amongst a select group of Professional, experienced Engineers. [from what I recall].

I find that the Public Forums are not prepared for blunt honesty, at the level we use to interact with.

Maybe something to consider, as I have.

And for all the PC'ers ... .... there are 'children' in the room.

[I'm too tired to not post this here]
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircuit ➡️
@ zaphod - obviously not talking about now, but would be a chance to incorporate custom HRTF profiles as the years pass and technology evolves? Or a collection of HRTFs and let the people chose the closest one?

These guys make the measurements: https://www.earfish.eu/
Yes it could be an idea. For sure things will evolve
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM ➡️
Hello Will, good to see you here as well!
Wich DAW and version are you having this issue with?
Studio One 5.2, Sienna is the first AA plug I installed in it to get testing but it's instant shutdown every time. I'm not anywhere Mac knowledgeable as I am on PC, so it's slow going to track down an issue. Before I hit up support I wanted to attempt all the possible solutions first.

The security, permissions, approval on the Mac OS side is wonderful... but it's definitely caused me many issues similar to this with other programs just shutting down, that's why I was suspecting that as the problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
Maybe something to consider, as I have.
Thanks for the perspective RJ.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Apple's permissions are not something we can fix. They are something they (Apple) introduced and little we can do about. A permit must be given to Aquarius once. For better or worse this will happen more and more frequently: it's an operating system where in a few months not even Facebook brings exist without having an appropriate Grant. Download managers are no exception: they must be enabled or they simply can't operate. Clearly not a PC

As far as compatibility is concerned, Sienna is native. It wants a native host. I don't know when everyone will produce one, but it's a process that has to happen and within a certain time frame. In "translated" mode obviously things don't always work. Our plugins on Rosetta will never work. We have a type of program, and protection, that simply cannot be translated by Rosetta (buuut there could a workaround there too). It wouldn't even make sense to try to make them work, since the solution Apple wants is the one we've gone down, which is to have native programs. For native hosts you have to be patient: they are all working to create them.

The only host where we really have problems for security reasons is Logic, but we are alphatesting a solution for that.

The good news is that when we are native (example reaper arm) everything works great. We need all the manufacturers to have a native arm version.

For nebula the speech is much more complex on arm, some libraries created years ago by third party developers have inside some Intel code that can't be translated, they will never work. They packaged them like this. We will talk about that in the nebula topics with a little bit of calm

Last edited by zaphod; 1 week ago at 06:14 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Understood... I'll test Reaper M1 when I get time over the next few days.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…