Acustica intros Sienna: ‘The’ headphone mixing plugin you were waiting for - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica intros Sienna: ‘The’ headphone mixing plugin you were waiting for
Old 4 weeks ago
  #31
Gear Addict
 
Rocket88's Avatar
I downloaded the demo and pulled up a drum loop in Studio One, listening on my AKG K702 cans and strapped Fircomp across the bus I created for it. At a 1.5 ratio and about 6db of gain reduction, with makeup gain applied to match the incoming signal, I could not tell a difference between the compressed and uncompressed signal with only the headphones using the built-in amplifier in my Mytek 8x192 converter. With the room enabled (HOG Sun218) I could easily hear the difference blindly every time. I tried again with just the reference edition and I could hear a difference but less so than with the room.

I had first pulled up Rooms on an ongoing mix but the CPU hit was too heavy (AU Mid 2010 Mac Pro 12 core 64GB). Reference worked there, though.

In all cases Sienna made the listening experience more enjoyable. It revealed the boxiness that these cans exhibit uncorrected.

I haven't put it head to head with Sonarworks yet, but I wasn't using it for headphones much anyway.

I will probably buy this.

Please extend the intro price for the usual time period.

It upsets the balance of the universe when you switch things up like that, and some people are still waiting for their headphones to be supported.

Congratulations on an amazing and useful product!

Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut ➡️
Have to agree... intro offer period is too short. I need to know my headphones will be included before buying into Sienna. I also submitted mine (Shure SH1540, Westone W80). But without any indication when/if they'll ever be included, I can't see buying in before the current intro end date of March 25th.
we'll try to cover missing headphones and to extend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic ➡️
I'm getting that typical freezing of Cubase when deleting certain AA plugins off the chain.
Also I was told this very low cpu but it seems to using about the same as others.
We did a little bit of research and saw that we have no memory leaks or memory release issues of any kind. We release any resource completely and perfectly.
The problem with Cubase might be related to the use of the graphics framework, which ironically is Steinberg's today. For somewhat reason they have a problem releasing our dll. We will try to migrate to a different framework in the future, but I can't see a reason for it: we close everything, the problem is completely on the host side.
They suggested to mitigate this issue for our plugins and similar ones just loading a dummy song without plugins and closing it. From this description you could guess the issue is not a thing we could fix.

Regarding consumption: the reference plugin should be extremely low. At the end it is a single convolution, very short.
The room correction plugin also performs harmonic distortion of speakers and behaves more or less like a single preamp plugin. Only one should be used
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 ➡️
I downloaded the demo and pulled up a drum loop in Studio One, listening on my AKG K702 cans and strapped Fircomp across the bus I created for it. At a 1.5 ratio and about 6db of gain reduction, with makeup gain applied to match the incoming signal, I could not tell a difference between the compressed and uncompressed signal with only the headphones using the built-in amplifier in my Mytek 8x192 converter. With the room enabled (HOG Sun218) I could easily hear the difference blindly every time. I tried again with just the reference edition and I could hear a difference but less so than with the room.

I had first pulled up Rooms on an ongoing mix but the CPU hit was too heavy (AU Mid 2010 Mac Pro 12 core 64GB). Reference worked there, though.

In all cases Sienna made the listening experience more enjoyable. It revealed the boxiness that these cans exhibit uncorrected.

I haven't put it head to head with Sonarworks yet, but I wasn't using it for headphones much anyway.

I will probably buy this.

Please extend the intro price for the usual time period.

It upsets the balance of the universe when you switch things up like that, and some people are still waiting for their headphones to be supported.

Congratulations on an amazing and useful product!

thank you! a very light "rooms" plugin is possible, maybe disabling the harmonic distortion. Possibly we'll release an option for it: the final CPU load should be closer to the "reference" case, which is close to the one featured in other similar software.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod ➡️
we'll try to cover missing headphones and to extend it

We did a little bit of research and saw that we have no memory leaks or memory release issues of any kind. We release any resource completely and perfectly.
The problem with Cubase might be related to the use of the graphics framework, which ironically is Steinberg's today. For somewhat reason they have a problem releasing our dll. We will try to migrate to a different framework in the future, but I can't see a reason for it: we close everything, the problem is completely on the host side.
They suggested to mitigate this issue for our plugins and similar ones just loading a dummy song without plugins and closing it. From this description you could guess the issue is not a thing we could fix.

Regarding consumption: the reference plugin should be extremely low. At the end it is a single convolution, very short.
The room correction plugin also performs harmonic distortion of speakers and behaves more or less like a single preamp plugin. Only one should be used
Thanks for the response.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #35
Gear Addict
 
Zed999's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinschell ➡️
My understanding is that Reference is just the headphone correction without a room. The Rooms are (obviously rooms) plus headphone correction. So you use one or the other, not both.
Surely one applies the headphone correction first, then additionally use the rooms if you wish. I don't see much benefit in feeding an uncorrected signal to the rooms?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #36
Gear Addict
 
Rocket88's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➡️
Surely one applies the headphone correction first, then additionally use the rooms if you wish. I don't see much benefit in feeding an uncorrected signal to the rooms?
Rooms does both so you don't have to open two plugins to get the effect.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #37
Acustica Audio
 
AcusticaCM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s34nsm411 ➡️
I'm a little confused by the presentation of this... Am I supposed to use both the "reference" and "rooms" plugins at the same time? If so what order?
Only one, depending what you want:
Sienna Reference:
this plugin is focused on headphone correction, with filtering.

Sienna Rooms:
this plugin features room emulations (+ headphone correction).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #38
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Very interested in this. Does it make sense to use the room emulation version of this plugin if your headphones are not yet supported (I use Audeze LCD-1)? Or do you always need to choose a headphone correction model first when using the rooms version of the plug-in?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Definitively we'll have LCD 1 and LCD 2 open back
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #40
Gear Addict
 
Zed999's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM ➡️
Only one, depending what you want:
Sienna Reference:
this plugin is focused on headphone correction, with filtering.

Sienna Rooms:
this plugin features room emulations (+ headphone correction).
Is "Magic Q" from "-" to "+" in the Reference the same control as
"Depth %" from "- Filtering" to "+ Translation" in Rooms?

I like the sound I have to say, even with the incorrect headphone reference it's revealing without being too harsh. Top work.

Can you tell me your projected price for the promised extra rooms/cars/speakers etc when they are available, or will they/some more be included in the base version but just not ready yet? While it's good to have what you have, it would be useful, perhaps essential, to have more variation.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #41
Acustica Audio
 
AcusticaCM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➡️
Is "Magic Q" from "-" to "+" in the Reference the same control as
"Depth %" from "- Filtering" to "+ Translation" in Rooms?

I like the sound I have to say, even with the incorrect headphone reference it's revealing without being too harsh. Top work.

Can you tell me your projected price for the promised extra rooms/cars/speakers etc when they are available, or will they/some more be included in the base version but just not ready yet? While it's good to have what you have, it would be useful, perhaps essential, to have more variation.
Depth and Translation in (Rooms) control the room depth and curves, while the Magic Q applies the correction to the headphones.

A good practice (besides reading the manual) for understanding what the controls do is tuning by ear when you find a pleasant-sounding setting (maybe using a reference track) and store it.

The additional (optional) volumes will be released in the upcoming weeks and will cost less than Volume A. There are very interesting rooms, speakers and devices coming!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #42
Here for the gear
I just purchased Sienna. WOW! I never use my AKG K702 headphones because they just do not sound good without a lot of DSP/EQ tweaking. Hearing my mixes and others with the Vega or Antares7 system for my headphone profile is extremely pleasant and revealing. My room has a lot of DIY treatment and pretty good monitoring, but I still have troublesome areas which Sienna seems to completely eliminate. I am going to try and do an entire mix with the Sienna plugin and see how it translates across other systems.

Initial thoughts, I give Sienna an A+ rating. Really awesome sounding plugin - lets you hear the depth, position/panning of sounds, how forward or backward it is sitting in the mix, and the amount of lows, mids, highs, and treble each sound within the mix has. Very revealing in my opinion.

Great job Acustica!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
sakamoto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Any latency ?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #44
wm9
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones ➡️
Recommendation to support Sennheiser HD58X and HD560s as both are probably the best selling headphones of that company atm. Also the Superlux HD300 'Modded' ... what modding does it have?
+1, specially to 58X
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto ➡️
Any latency ?
My DAW reports 30.2ms (1448 samples) :(
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
candyflip's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM ➡️
The list says that the Beyer DT1990 Pro headphones are supported, but it doesn't say if it's with the Balanced or Analytical pads, or are both options supported and selectable?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
sakamoto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct ➡️
My DAW reports 30.2ms (1448 samples) :(
Thanks for info.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #48
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
I updated my HD600 correction comparison.



It's getting pretty busy so here is just Mid Q Sienna (Mid Q is the only option in Rooms) vs Realphones vs Sonarworks



In general, I would say Sienna has a unique take on what correction should be done to the HD600.

I would love to hear more info about the measurement rig used, how you came up with your target or other details about your process in deciding on the correction curve you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Acustica intros Sienna: ‘The’ headphone mixing plugin you were waiting for-hd600-comparison.jpg   Acustica intros Sienna: ‘The’ headphone mixing plugin you were waiting for-hd600-comparison-sienna.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #49
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
There will be a short book with more details
Which one sounds more organic?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip ➡️
The list says that the Beyer DT1990 Pro headphones are supported, but it doesn't say if it's with the Balanced or Analytical pads, or are both options supported and selectable?
We'll add these infos
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENSIX ➡️
I just purchased Sienna. WOW! I never use my AKG K702 headphones because they just do not sound good without a lot of DSP/EQ tweaking. Hearing my mixes and others with the Vega or Antares7 system for my headphone profile is extremely pleasant and revealing. My room has a lot of DIY treatment and pretty good monitoring, but I still have troublesome areas which Sienna seems to completely eliminate. I am going to try and do an entire mix with the Sienna plugin and see how it translates across other systems.

Initial thoughts, I give Sienna an A+ rating. Really awesome sounding plugin - lets you hear the depth, position/panning of sounds, how forward or backward it is sitting in the mix, and the amount of lows, mids, highs, and treble each sound within the mix has. Very revealing in my opinion.

Great job Acustica!
Thank you.
Thank you for all your messages. My phone is exploding!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #52
Acustica Audio
 
AcusticaCM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip ➡️
The list says that the Beyer DT1990 Pro headphones are supported, but it doesn't say if it's with the Balanced or Analytical pads, or are both options supported and selectable?
The model sampled was with default pads, but I will receive more info on this soon.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #53
Gear Addict
 
BobMaloogalooga's Avatar
Won’t be able to demo for a bit but can this be used as an effect too? Using the room emulations as a room verb on an aux?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #54
Lives for gear
 
highvoltage's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
This sounds terrible on my setup. (I have a Sennheiser HD 600)
All the rooms have extreme resonances and a screeching 7-8k that hurts my ears, and the sound field is way too narrow.
My nearfield speakers have at least twice the stereo image.

I'll stick to Realiphones, way easier to listen and mix on, and i can set it up to sound very very close to my nearfieds.

The correction sounded good without the rooms. But i have that covered with Realiphones and Sonarworks.

Just for curiosity i have loaded all 3 in an analyzer, and all the Sennheiser 600 curves were super different. 2 matched somewhat in the sub bass bump, but while the sonarworks have a +2.5db boost at 2k, Sienna has a -3db cut at the same point. That's almost 6db difference between corrections at a very crucial frequency.
Makes you wonder if these generic averaged plots can help your work at all: http://prntscr.com/10pbozs
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Is it zero latency? Is it well optimized or a resource hog?

EDIT. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct ➡️
My DAW reports 30.2ms (1448 samples) :(
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #56
Acustica Audio
 
AcusticaCM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage ➡️
This sounds terrible on my setup. (I have a Sennheiser HD 600)
All the rooms have extreme resonances and a screeching 7-8k that hurts my ears, and the sound field is way too narrow.
My nearfield speakers have at least twice the stereo image.

I'll stick to Realiphones, way easier to listen and mix on, and i can set it up to sound very very close to my nearfieds.

The correction sounded good without the rooms. But i have that covered with Realiphones and Sonarworks.

Just for curiosity i have loaded all 3 in an analyzer, and all the Sennheiser 600 curves were super different. 2 matched somewhat in the sub bass bump, but while the sonarworks have a +2.5db boost at 2k, Sienna has a -3db cut at the same point.
Makes you wonder if these generic averaged plots can help at all: http://prntscr.com/10pbozs
Try reinstalling it, will definitely fix the problem. Sienna Guru lets you fine-tune even further.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #57
Acustica Audio
 
AcusticaCM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r ➡️
Is it zero latency? Is it well optimized or a resource hog?
Latency is very low and so the CPU consumption, but install the trial to check for yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #58
Lives for gear
 
BigSmo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM ➡️
Latency is very low and so the CPU consumption, but install the trial to check for yourself.
The cpu is high on Big Sur. 16%
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #59
Acustica Audio
 
AcusticaCM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmo ➡️
The cpu is high on Big Sur. 16%
Which DAW?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #60
Lives for gear
 
BigSmo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM ➡️
Which DAW?
I tried on Live 11.
iMac Pro 10 Core.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump