The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Massenburg DesignWorks MDWEQ6 VST/AU Native
Old 2 weeks ago
  #271
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
nothing wrong with minimal design but it could look more polished

the ui designer from valhalla dsp should do it, if you ask me https://valhalladsp.com/about/
Old 2 weeks ago
  #272
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Update:

So ... before I do any A/B audio comparisons, we did a little A/B'ing with [PlugDoc] ......

Tested the bx_digital-v3, WEISS-MP, AIReQ, AMEK-200 --> mdweq6

Both the bx and Weiss EQs matched the curve, phase, THD ... Identical.

The AIReQ uses a different GAIN scaling ... basically its' Gain is 2x the shown value. [ +4 on GUI is actually +8]. It's a great EQ, but too complicated
to do a quick substitute.

The AMEK-200 got close, but has a different Q shape [using the same display value], and the Gain was slightly different.

I've sooo many Equalizers ... but the bx and Weiss are my heavily called 'clean' ones, and will be substituted in the audio comparison coming up.

See, hear where this goes ....
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #273
Lives for gear
 
Marando's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted brenn ➡️
I would say only one thing. Try to get a punchy, energetic sound with Protools, and you'll need to use plugins like R-bass from waves or something. With Logic, it's super easy, a little bit of bass in the basic EQ and the energy is there right away. On the other hand, to mix classical music in Logic and have highs as crystal clear and silky as in Protools is impossible. I'd like to say the opposite (I've worked with Logic for 20 years) but I've never been happy with the sound of my classical mixes.

about the MDW EQ, it sounds great in Reaper and protools, so I'll buy it. But I'm not sure if it sounds as good in other DAWs, so I'm cautious and recommend everyone to test it. That's the limit of the opinions that everyone can give on a plugin ;-)
This is without a doubt the best April Fools' joke I've read this year!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #274
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Update: Listen/comparison

OK ... I did 3 rounds of A/B'ing, via HOFA Blindtest ... matched level >0.1db The bx_digital [mix] eq and mdweq6

Interesting results.

Round 1 slightly favored the BX. Round 2 slightly favored the GM.

Round 3 put the preference at 50/50.

conclusions ?

Well ... ok, it's been a long day [now 3:30am] ... possible I'm not quite as sharp as I could be. This was only one round of test, 4 round-robins, 3 times ...
but all with the same Song [various sections as it played].

For grins ... tomorrow I'll test against the WEISS-MP.

WHY ... well ... testing/comparing should be part of our educating ... and part of our Job.

Now that my 'Jets' have been cooled after first demo'ing a new product ... my expectations have been dampered. Probably a good thing.

Other good things learned from this test ...

I finally verified that bx-digital-v3 [Mix], and the bx_digital-v3 full blown .... are totally IDENTICAL. As I don't always need M/S capabilities, this eases the
decision/choice.

To do the Weiss-MP check does present a challenge to duplicate EXACT settings, so direct A/B's will not sound the 'same' from the on-set ... which is slowly
changing my mind to test further. [Saving Time can also be a good thing].

I've much respect for G.Massenburg, and felt obliged to demo this VST-3 release. On my system, there are several, functional, issues ... but if the plugin sound
exposed a weakness in my current Tools, I might be able to overlook function issues of the first release.

I have saved the bx/mdweq session, and can easily test again ... that will happen.

Can I say ... On one hand, I'm a little disappointed ... and then ... I'm not.

I've no trouble accepting a different Tool that improves upon what I currently use. [the wallet doesn't feel quite the same ... but eventually comes round IF
I make good decisions]

I also understand that each Project is unique ... and that sometimes, different Tools will do a better Job. [the luxury of a deep bench].

With 30 days of Trial time ... I'll be able to test across a broad spectrum of Music that I Master for.

Then ... I'll know for myself.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #275
Gear Addict
 
Ted brenn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
I tried all different analyzer settings but the flickering stays
in Logic Pro MAc OS Catilina.

Another function I would like and which in the meantime is standard
in most EQ plugins: Changing Q values with mouse scrolling.

And then - having read the manual the first time in 12 years
I found out that by clicking SHIFT one can put ISOpeak into CUT mode LOL....

Anyway I LOVE the new High Q shelving filter shapes.
So often I followed MDWEQ with a tubetech pultec EQ to get these
extremly musical shapes - now I can get this done completely inside MDWEQ.
How great is that ! These alone would have been worth the upgrade.
Pultec Curves á lá George Massenburg.

Look at my personal favourite smile preset:
Did you buy it ?

If you did, How many authorizations are there on the I-lok account? 1 or 2?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #276
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Yes - there are 2 authorizations.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #277
Gear Addict
 
Ted brenn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
Yes - there are 2 authorizations.
OK cool ! I'll buy it right away
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #278
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders ➡️
If your DAW works internally at 64bit floating point, which I think they all do these days, you do not need to dither between gain stages. You are never going to hear that truncation distortion.
No, that is wrong. You have stated a Gearslutz Fact.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #279
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
No, that is wrong. You have stated a Gearslutz Fact.
While I appreciate you being generous with your time and knowledge to educate people on the finer points of digital signal processing, I'm going to let people talk about the Massenburg EQ rather than get in a debate with you.

You stay in your happy place where adding dither to a floating point audio stream makes it sound better.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #280
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
alright .... d*mn it ... I put it on a track in Mastering ..... d*mn.
...
Do you have TimP's Surge-eq? If so, how do you feel these compare? How about Green?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #281
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
Do you have TimP's Surge-eq? If so, how do you feel these compare? How about Green?
I do. Also AlexB GM-9, Green-4.

The issue is trying to match exact curves.

Here's the thing, since I a/b'd to bx_digital-3 :

I use bx very often. I also use Green, Erin, Amek, AireQ, S-432, GM-9 ... Weiss

Maybe not all at the same time ... but I will if I need

So ... there are reasons I don't use the bx for everything, cause each of the others brings a different 'flavor'[?].

The bx_digital doesn't seem to do any extra enhancing ... other than change the spectrum level according to settings.

With the Massenburg, I did not notice any 'enhance' just running through the plugin. Green, Erin, others, do bring a sonic character ... subtle if driven that way. If I don't need more ... the bx fits the call.

The Massenburg just didn't bring anything new, or hoped, better. [I still have 29 days to be proved wrong ... ]. But as of now ... this was the 'one hand' disappointment. Not even a little different than the BX.

Some would say ... be happy that the tools I use are good ! and that is on the 'other' hand.

I'm not 'trashing' the Massenburg. It did have several issues on my System. If it 'eeked' out just a bit improvement ... I could overlook the issues [first release and stuff] ...

Background.

I was late to the WEISS products. I knew the hardware ... As a Mix Engineer, I had Mastering Guys using Weiss ... but I just didn't jump onto the plugin ... and when I finally demo'd it ... well, bought the Suite.

With the Massenburg release ... I felt that same feeling. George definitely knows his stuff. I've worked [and had work done] with the GM-8200's ...

Maybe this EQ was not designed to be that in plugin form ... i don't know. But it doesn't sound or react that way to me. Green-4, GM-9GE, and Surge do. But they are not each the same ... both in sound and workflow ... and why I have them all.

Just relaying my initial reactions ... maybe useful to other's.

Contrary to the, 'There Are No Rules' in music ...

There is still [at least] One Rule outstanding ....

Everyone needs to do their own Listening tests.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #282
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️
I do. Also AlexB GM-9, Green-4.

The issue is trying to match exact curves.

Here's the thing, since I a/b'd to bx_digital-3 :

I use bx very often. I also use Green, Erin, Amek, AireQ, S-432, GM-9 ... Weiss

Maybe not all at the same time ... but I will if I need

So ... there are reasons I don't use the bx for everything, cause each of the others brings a different 'flavor'[?].

The bx_digital doesn't seem to do any extra enhancing ... other than change the spectrum level according to settings.

With the Massenburg, I did not notice any 'enhance' just running through the plugin. Green, Erin, others, do bring a sonic character ... subtle if driven that way. If I don't need more ... the bx fits the call.

The Massenburg just didn't bring anything new, or hoped, better. [I still have 29 days to be proved wrong ... ]. But as of now ... this was the 'one hand' disappointment. Not even a little different than the BX.

Some would say ... be happy that the tools I use are good ! and that is on the 'other' hand.

I'm not 'trashing' the Massenburg. It did have several issues on my System. If it 'eeked' out just a bit improvement ... I could overlook the issues [first release and stuff] ...

Background.

I was late to the WEISS products. I knew the hardware ... As a Mix Engineer, I had Mastering Guys using Weiss ... but I just didn't jump onto the plugin ... and when I finally demo'd it ... well, bought the Suite.

With the Massenburg release ... I felt that same feeling. George definitely knows his stuff. I've worked [and had work done] with the GM-8200's ...

Maybe this EQ was not designed to be that in plugin form ... i don't know. But it doesn't sound or react that way to me. Green-4, GM-9GE, and Surge do. But they are not each the same ... both in sound and workflow ... and why I have them all.

Just relaying my initial reactions ... maybe useful to other's.

Contrary to the, 'There Are No Rules' in music ...

There is still [at least] One Rule outstanding ....

Everyone needs to do their own Listening tests.
Thank you! You are always very gracious with sharing your time and thoughts.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #283
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Just got an email saying it’s on sale now for $149.
You lucky devils. Damn it I paid full price a week ago.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #284
Lives for gear
 
alibling's Avatar
 
Where u saw this ?

On the site its still 199
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #285
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I received some subscribers email with a coupon code today.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #286
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I never thought mdw would do something
like special limited time offers or coupons.

Since the native release they are totally on fire
Old 2 weeks ago
  #287
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
where is this coupon??
Old 2 weeks ago
  #288
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Bought the soft. Sounds incredible! George!--what a genius.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #289
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR13 ➡️
where is this coupon??
you have to subscribe the mdw newsletter
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #290
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 ➡️
I received some subscribers email with a coupon code today.
Wow. I bought it a few weeks ago. I hate getting burned when there us a discount soon after I buy a plug. I remember buying a PA plug hours before a sale, and they wouldnt give me the difference. This isnt quite as bad. I need the plug to bring over old mixes from my TDM system, but I wont buy his comp until there's a coupon (if it ever comes out). Fool me once but you may lose my future business.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #291
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
Wow. I bought it a few weeks ago. I hate getting burned when there us a discount soon after I buy a plug. I remember buying a PA plug hours before a sale, and they wouldnt give me the difference. This isnt quite as bad. I need the plug to bring over old mixes from my TDM system, but I wont buy his comp until there's a coupon (if it ever comes out). Fool me once but you may lose my future business.
I've had it happen with several of the other Plugin Suppliers ...

Not happy about ... but, if there is a new release that comes out, and I want to buy it ... I still will.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #292
Lives for gear
 
alibling's Avatar
 
Someone could share the Code?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #293
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling ➡️
Someone could share the Code?
yes please
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #294
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Interesting. I specifically asked about a week and a bit ago if they ever do sales, to see whether it would be worth waiting to buy later, and was told it is the set price that it is. Lucky I didn't buy it then, as I would have completely lost my rag now if I had.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #295
Lives for gear
 
BigSmo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling ➡️
Someone could share the Code?
Yes please

Somebody please share the code?
Old 1 week ago
  #296
Gear Addict
 
rojhmusic's Avatar
 
Heres the code:

MDW5483A

I hope this is ok to share.
I didnt buy it since I have BigFreq and I dont use much eqs with eq curve display.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #297
Gear Addict
 
Ted brenn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic ➡️
Heres the code:

MDW5483A

I hope this is ok to share.
I didnt buy it since I have BigFreq and I dont use much eqs with eq curve display.

Haaargg ! ! ! I just bought it last week and I didn't have this code... I just try now and it works
Old 1 week ago
  #298
Lives for gear
 
Almost all plugin companies offer discounts... I bet it will be even better at BF or end of year.

The game is always about waiting vs better price.

Best,
Daniel.
Old 1 week ago
  #299
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I'm waiting ...... for an update [fix].

Testing update:

OK ... a little more experimenting and A/B'ing against BX-Digital.

Using PlugDoc

1. All the 'Bell' curves line up exact.

2. The Shelves on the BX are not quite as sharp [cannot adjust Q].

3. Comparing all 4 Bands together goes show [minor] differences between the overall curve.

I was using just some random, alternating boost/cuts for a fast look.

4. I've not tried an Audio comparison with more dramatic settings. My earlier audio test/compare were generally less than 1-2dB.
That HOFA A/B test had me at 50%. Maybe with larger changes, I'd have a different outcome ... but yet ... for Mastering, small changes
are rather routine.

Anyone else doing A/B's against other 'clean' eq's ?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #300
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I can not remember
mdw doing discounts in the last 10 years hehe
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump