The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fircomp 2 Available
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm also getting the surge when engaging look ahead. And sound drop outs - all tacks - every few seconds. As soon as I close the plugin, the issues go away.

Win 10 Pro 64bit, Cubase 11
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ JonVAudio Not happening here indeed (vst3 Win10 20H2 Live 11)
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Release Shape control is superb.
And what about the SC HPF now, whatever frequency you want.
The GUI is super clever, so many features/options.

Great work Jon.
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Nut

bought. v1 is worth the price alone. may my 20 quid bring you joyful flatulence.
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr ➡️
bought.

demoed (used) fircomp 1 long enough
Same here.

And I think that's Jon's biggest success (I forwarded my enthusiasm to a close
relative of mine, a known figure in some genre of the world's electronic music
scene).

However...

as I assumed (and was worried about), it is - for sure - NOT "Effortless".
FIRcomp1 is.

There are TONS of options to be aware of, there are no "pop-ups" to explain
what-does-what (with relation to OTHER controls) and while the sound is
certainly there (as is FIRcomp1), the immediacy ISN'T. AFAIK, one can't "Start"
with FIRcomp1, copy the settings, paste them unto FIRcomp2, and carry on
from there - as the architecture is different (at least according to Jon).

people tend to confuse the impression that comes from the abundance of
features\options and GUI usefulness, with the end result (ie. the raw end
result). in real life it is not only the raw end result (even if it shines through)
but the combination of the raw result AND the time it has taken one to get
there. that's why I was so WOWed by FIRcomp1.

And just for the record : FIRcomp (1 AND 2) is/are AWESOME. period.

I just think that a developer should make it as easy for the user (at any
level) to get the best results as quick as possible. I keep getting back to Tom
Elmhirst's words (and I think he is no noob nor a plain hobbyist...) : "I'm a
lazy person, which I think is a bonus. I want to get to the finish line the
quickest way possible
"). that was said with regard to the amount of
audio tracks in a multi-track he is being given. one can think of the number of
tracks sent to an engineer as the number of controls we are being "given" on a
processor.
(just my 0.02, O\C).

Anyways... Jon, congrats. you may have just set a new standard in the virtual
world of ITB compression

BTW, why there are no bM presets ?
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well I just spent well over an hour making different sounds with this thing and I really love it.

I was ambivalent about the GUI at first but after enabling the horizontal GR meter and switching themes I've come to really dig it already!

All the features/options just make sense to me and it's great to have it all there just one click away. The metering is great and I especially love the threshold and makeup metering.. reminds me a bit of TDR/Fabfilter in a good way!

Thanks for incorporating the Max Comp control, it really has added to the palette of sounds available.. along with the other great additions Fircomp has become really damn versatile.

Awesome work Jon V!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan ➡️
Also, the "Limiter" does not get back from Yellow. (Olive theme) when I press it but goes back to normal color after I reduce the compression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
The first odd behaviour I noticed was that when Lookahead was engaged the purple meters behaved more like what you would expect in M/S mode - but I was in L/R stereo mode.
Then, at first, a radical drop in volume after selecting Lookahead, but after a few more on and offs of Lookahead that morphed into significant increase in volume with Lookahead on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre ➡️
I'm also getting the surge when engaging look ahead. And sound drop outs - all tacks - every few seconds. As soon as I close the plugin, the issues go away.

Win 10 Pro 64bit, Cubase 11
I have just updated the Mac and Windows versions, both the demos from the website and the downloadable versions from Gumroad. The zip should end in mar8, and the version in the in-plugin version dialogue box should say "8 march a".

My apologies for these problems on release, I will be monitoring this thread etc to hopefully see if this can be fixed today.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➡️
I have just updated the Mac and Windows versions, both the demos from the website and the downloadable versions from Gumroad. The zip should end in mar8, and the version in the in-plugin version dialogue box should say "8 march a".

My apologies for these problems on release, I will be monitoring this thread etc to hopefully see if this can be fixed today.
Looking good now Jon

Thanks for the super quick response.
Quote:

Hey I just installed the update and I'm getting the "developer cannot be verified" warning from Apple. Did you forget to notarize the build maybe?
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Head

HI Jon, Im trying to demo V2, but neither AU or VST3 loads into my standalone bluecat patcwork on my Sierra 10.12.6. Says they are not valid 64-bit plugins.
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Love the meters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbout ➡️
Hey I just installed the update and I'm getting the "developer cannot be verified" warning from Apple. Did you forget to notarize the build maybe?
Could you try running the "fircomp2_unquarantine.command" first (in the same folder as the plugins), then copying the component / vst to the destination?
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Nut

Here is a link to an invaluable tool re: quarantine. I keep the script on my desktop. I drag plugs into the Components folder, then drag onto the script, enter password, done. A must have for Airwindows and (until recently) AnalogObsession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousMeuhler ➡️
HI Jon, Im trying to demo V2, but neither AU or VST3 loads into my standalone bluecat patcwork on my Sierra 10.12.6. Says they are not valid 64-bit plugins.
Are you able to load the builds in any other host on your system? (any other DAW etc). Unfortunately I don't have Blue Cat PatchWork to test atm.
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

Bought!, thanks for this amazing comp Jon!, looking forward for other products from you (de-eeser, EQ).

Best,
Daniel.
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Happy to have been a part of the beta team and contributed some presets for this. I think Jon smashed it out of the gate. Hopefully people find the presets I made for it useful.
Quote:
Could you try running the "fircomp2_unquarantine.command" first (in the same folder as the plugins), then copying the component / vst to the destination?
Ah yup, that did the trick! Working now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLov3r ➡️

Anyways... Jon, congrats. you may have just set a new standard in the virtual
world of ITB compression

BTW, why there are no bM presets ?
Valid feedback, definitely. However, apart from the knee, the defaults in Fircomp 2 match v1, so you only change what you want. And v1 will always be available for those who like the simplicity of it

And I've been told that bManic presets will be coming
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk ➡️
Happy to have been a part of the beta team and contributed some presets for this. I think Jon smashed it out of the gate. Hopefully people find the presets I made for it useful.
The Mixbus Magic preset is an interesting way of using the Limiter, thanks.
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Hello Jon

Latest release, seems to work here with the "Lookahead" volume boost gone.

CPU usage is super low on my Mac Pro.

Any chance of getting a special release of FirComp 2 v 1.0 that can work on my old Mac Pro with OSX 10.9 (After I bought the Fircomp 2)? If not, no big deal I can always use the Fircomp there.
Old 8th March 2021
Wow this does sound really good. I understand the hype 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
The Mixbus Magic preset is an interesting way of using the Limiter, thanks.
Thanks! That preset can work really well on tracks with building dynamics where you want mixbus pressure to build as the track layers up. Especially on pop and dance material.

I've already used it on 2 client mixes so far. It's one of my favorites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan ➡️
Hello Jon

Latest release, seems to work here with the "Lookahead" volume boost gone.

CPU usage is super low on my Mac Pro.

Any chance of getting a special release of FirComp 2 v 1.0 that can work on my old Mac Pro with OSX 10.9 (After I bought the Fircomp 2)? If not, no big deal I can always use the Fircomp there.
Nice, this is good to hear. Let me know if there are other problems with it in future

Regarding OSX 10.9, send me an email at fircomp at jonvaudio dot com. I can't make any promises that it would work, and this would be an unsupported version, but might be able to do a build towards the end of this week.
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Bought
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Better than the Weiss compressor! I think.

I think part of the appeal (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the release is very gradual and has a bit of a hold regardless of setting. 100ms release feels longer to me even with program dependency turned to 0, and regardless of release shape. That gives it a bit of grace. Also the attack is great.

Pretty amazing especially for the price.
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm so happy for you Jon. You proved that one man with passion and skill can rise above big name companies. You deserve all the money thrown at you! This is gold standard for your reputation.
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Every compressor is going to sound different when it comes to attack and release times. Mostly because they all have slightly different curves. Fir tends to sound slower than most. It can do pumpy fast release. Just don’t be afraid of the numbers and pull down the release until you’re getting the energy you need.
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Adding my support to JonV and his work.

Bought.
Gear Addict

I am finding V2 better than V1 for mixbus duties...

The more flexible sidechaining and release etc really help.

And the new metering is excellent.

And the auto gain makeup works really nicely...
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…