The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fircomp 2 Available
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➡️
Ah, glad it's working now, you're welcome Might be because Live didn't expect an x64 plugin to change to universal binary (x64 and M1), but just a guess.
It was a simple and non problematic replacement in live 10.30 for me on Mac mojave. No full re scan needed...Vst3
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
I'm playing with fircomp1 and i start to understand why people are happy with your plugin, i'm using it as limiter in a master i'm working on, and even if i have a lot of different compressor/limiter your is the only one who is able to do what i need without distorsion, amazing, i will do a video about it in my youtube channel.

Ofc i'm considering to buy fircomp2, i have just few request if possible.

The first one is to add a toggle that allow an auto volume compensation when lowering treshold, so i can listen the effect of compression/limiting without be triggered by loudness

The second is a visual things on meters. If could be possible have a different color between the "moving bars" and the lines of the meter, to have a better viewing

Last but not least, a toggle to enable a pop-up cloud with the explanation on every command after X seconds you are on it, like the fabfilter stuff

Tank you for your amazing plugin

Edit: I still playing around fircomp, and i'm very impressed on how behave as limiter. What i miss and i would like it's a ceiling so i don't need to use another limiter to be sure the signal do not go over 0. I've read the manual and i saw it doesn't handle inter-sample peak, but i don't care about it, i never engage it on other limiters
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie.T ➡️
I'm playing with fircomp1 and i start to understand why people are happy with your plugin, i'm using it as limiter in a master i'm working on, and even if i have a lot of different compressor/limiter your is the only one who is able to do what i need without distorsion, amazing, i will do a video about it in my youtube channel.

The first one is to add a toggle that allow an auto volume compensation when lowering treshold, so i can listen the effect of compression/limiting without be triggered by loudness

The second is a visual things on meters. If could be possible have a different color between the "moving bars" and the lines of the meter, to have a better viewing

Last but not least, a toggle to enable a pop-up cloud with the explanation on every command after X seconds you are on it, like the fabfilter stuff

There already is a makeup gain feature in v2 called ‘snap makeup’ which compensates gain based on the average gain reduction being applied!
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans ➡️
There already is a makeup gain feature in v2 called ‘snap makeup’ which compensates gain based on the average gain reduction being applied!
That's very cool, this snap makeup will compensate the volume reduction made by the threshold in realtime?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Quote:
That's very cool, this snap makeup will compensate the volume reduction made by the threshold in realtime?
No.. But all you have to do is click the snap makeup every time you make a threshold adjustment.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
...The second is a visual things on meters. If could be possible have a different color between the "moving bars" and the lines of the meter, to have a better viewing...
In Fircomp2 you can use any colors you wish. Back in this thread there are examples of different "Themes" people have done.

Check Jon's posts #311 and #318 in this thread for the basic instructions on how to do so. There are also some Themes added in this thread which you can download and use, if you prefer.
Gear Head
Quote:

The last suggestion about pop up explanation should be pretty easy to implement for Jon I'd suppose but there aren't that many controls on fircomp2. Try the Demo, the only 3 controls you won't usually find on other plugins are the Sidechain crush filter, program dependence and release shape control. Those three have a clear explanation in the manual. Every other controls are pretty generic to a plugin compressor.
Here for the gear
Quote:
No.. But all you have to do is click the snap makeup every time you make a threshold adjustment.
Thank You. It's a nice to have feature, but a real time adjustment would be really awesome

Edit: I still playing around fircomp, and i'm very impressed on how behave as limiter. What i miss and i would like it's a ceiling so i don't need to use another limiter to be sure the signal do not go over 0. I've read the manual and i saw it doesn't handle inter-sample peak, but i don't care about it, i never engage it on other limiters
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
This is incredible!

Until now, I spent a lot of time controlling the dynamics of the voices automating volumes, now with FirComp I can compress 8-10db's a vowel, maintaining absolute control and with 0 artifacts or saturations, it saves me a lot of time and the result is even better!
Curious about how you set up FirComp 2 for this, @ denork . Also @ JonVAudio , your tips on setting it up for this sort of 'instead of clip gain' or 'instead of automation'-style transparent level control?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zerozerozero1 ➡️
.....Fircomp is falling short for me.

Still think it's a great comp for individual instruments but I'm no longer confident about using it as a buss compressor because of what it does to the highs. If there's a way for Jon to improve this that'd be great.
it's FIR . . .

ie: frequency resolution is always a (inverse) trade-off with temporal resolution ... Freq vs time . . that's how FFT works

So you can have excellent timing resolution (accurate transients) and piss-poor frequency resolution .... OR have reasonable freq resolution, but less accurate temporal resolution

that's just the nature of FFT/FIR processing
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphenetre ➡️
Curious about how you set up FirComp 2 for this, @ denork . Also @ JonVAudio , your tips on setting it up for this sort of 'instead of clip gain' or 'instead of automation'-style transparent level control?
Active lookhead, attack a little fast and release a little slow, is what I used in the last voice, but this will depend on your track, try and don't be afraid to compress enough until everything is balanced, I have been compressing 8-10db's this and it works perfectly. Then I add something like LA2A to color.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zerozerozero1 ➡️
I waxed lyrical about Fircomp2 a few pages back - in hindsight, early love affair stuff! But using it more, and across busses and even the 2-buss, I've had some doubts creep in. A couple of others have alluded to this also: it seems to be quite detrimental to the high end and/or to transients (using lookahead). The result is a bit of a smeary sound that sounds, for want of a better phrase, a bit ITB-y. I know taming transients is supposed to be one of its strong points, but in those instances where you want to keep then - eg a drum buss - Fircomp is falling short for me.

Still think it's a great comp for individual instruments but I'm no longer confident about using it as a buss compressor because of what it does to the highs. If there's a way for Jon to improve this that'd be great.
I only notice the high end softening with lookahead on, just turn it off, or use it to your advantage if you need it... taming spiky transients on individual instruments or whatever scenario calls for it. I don't really see a point for going lookahead with slower attack times.

There are compressors that seems to work better with fast attack times, and others seems nicer on slower attacks.

FirComp is nice in both scenarios, and is the first I tried that can do really fast attack without OS while retaining the tone, and this means less latency and CPU that my other alternatives for this task. It also features a really nice Release and is fast to set up.

Another very good option if you need really fast attack times are TDR compressors (Kotelnikov and Molot), with them you don't need lookahead if the softening (lookahead on) or the extra distortion (lookahead off) is not an option, but they come with a cost on CPU and latency. There is no free lunch.

Unisum, on the other hand, is my go to on slower attack times for complex material.

In the end there is no one tool that is best for everything, maybe this is the problem you are facing.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Jon, states that Fircomp has no phase shift. I assume that means, there is no difference in the frequency response either. So technically, whatever softening of the high end that some are experiencing should be perceptual ? , possibly because of the way fircomp controls the transients or spikes and controls the overall dynamics ? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I actually still use FIRcomp freebie low ratio at least as much as FIR2. Seems to me it sounds a little rounder and firmer while FIR2 sounds a little more open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrmazzakR ➡️
Jon, states that Fircomp has no phase shift. I assume that means, there is no difference in the frequency response either. So technically, whatever softening of the high end that some are experiencing should be perceptual ? , possibly because of the way fircomp controls the transients or spikes and controls the overall dynamics ? Correct me if I'm wrong.
This is completely correct, there is no filtering of the audio signal (IIR or FIR or otherwise) whatsoever The FIR filtering only happens during parts of the sidechain (at the end just before multiplication, and sometimes as part of another SC stage)
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

I must say, I really enjoy the "Softening" with Lookahead / 0 attack, using it to tame spiky transients, and does it wonderfully.

I also understand this is not a freq or phase problem, in fact I don't see any problem here, is just that is so fast that no high end frequencies can pass thru and that is nice when needed.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
Active lookhead, attack a little fast and release a little slow, is what I used in the last voice, but this will depend on your track, try and don't be afraid to compress enough until everything is balanced, I have been compressing 8-10db's this and it works perfectly. Then I add something like LA2A to color.
Thanks, this sounds very promising. I'll try this out at the next opportunity, could be a major timesaver in the workflow.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…