The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fircomp 2 Available
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A masterpiece and a breakthrough in digital audio ..basically foolproof compression for any level (noob to pro).

Hoping for a EQ and a saturator of equivalent tech/quality.

I'm comparing the audio quality of this compressor to other 'great' plugins i've purchased lately (big brand releases) and it's apparent how much they change/ruin the source but Fircomp stays clean.
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
Works fine here as AU. No problems with validation.

Though I'm running latest Logic Pro X with latest Big Sur (and on a M1 Mac Mini).

Did you run Logic as Rosetta or Native (in case you have a M1?)?
I don’t have an M1, Intel 27” 5k iMac, 10.15.7.
Yes it works fine once validation done.

Last edited by Beatworld; 8th March 2021 at 12:39 PM..
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Addict

Oh it was released??! Jon is fast!
I Beta tested this!
What an awesome compressor!
Made some presets for this also.

Time to buy it now! 😁
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Congratulations Jon!
This is a super tool!

I don't miss anything here except the "SC LPF".
Old 8th March 2021
unr
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
bought.

demoed (used) fircomp 1 long enough
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

Ok, but 23 bucks? Lol.

I'm not gonna check the demo. Not even gonna read the thread.

I cannot purchase this fast enough!
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Bought, I was already using version 1 but this is on another level. Transparent and musical that you don't realize you have it until you take it off. Then you can't imagine the pleasure of using it in cascade first in stereo mode and then in mid side.
Thank you
Here for the gear
Is this on par or better than Pro-C2? I’ve always thought that was such a clean compressor but have started seeing this fircomp plugin come up in a lot of threads.
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

Wow, this looks very cool and promising.
@ blaugruen
Thank you for pointing me to this one.
Gear Addict

Yeah - this was an easy decision to buy for me today.

I use FirComp all the time - perfect for so many mixing tasks - but usually when i want simple, clean, super transparent control of dynamics....synth leads, percussion, etc...
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Bought it without demo. One of the only times I have ever done this, that is my trust with this dev.
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I just bought this without any demo lol.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by callahanryan ➡️
Is this on par or better than Pro-C2? I’ve always thought that was such a clean compressor but have started seeing this fircomp plugin come up in a lot of threads.
I have not compared one next to the other, but I can get where I want sooner with fircomp.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Without testing directly, I’d have said FiR Comp was much better on the attack. I really like what this does to transients.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I totally agree with the above.

I don't think I've ever heard a comp with so much control over transients. Pro-C is no slouch in this regard either, it's just that FirComp goes even further. Effortlessly.
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Smile

Hello

Just downloaded the demo + trying it out for 5-10 minutes.

When I press the "Lookahead", the output level from the plugin is massive.
Also without the plugin being in mid/side mode.

See attached picture for how the settings are.

Please correct me if I am doing something wrong.

Edited : Seems like the error did not repeat itself, after I removed the plugin and added it again.
So it much have been some strange glitch. Well seems like the phenomena came back after I tweaked again.

After it comes in this mode, it does not matter what preset I select cause the level boost always occure after I press
the "Lookahead"
Attached Thumbnails
Fircomp 2 Available-skarmavbild-2021-03-08-kl.-15.02.54.png   Fircomp 2 Available-skarmavbild-2021-03-08-kl.-15.09.41.png  

Last edited by Bob Yordan; 8th March 2021 at 03:28 PM..
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Jon are you sure the Lookahead is working ok ?
When Lookahead is engaged The purple levels in the GR meter are very high and there is a big drop in volume ar first.
When the meters settle down the Purple Right channel is about 1db different to the left, but this is on stereo tracks with very very even balance between L and R
I can send screen grabs.

Logic 10.6.1
macOS 10.15.7
44/24

UPDATE: and now on the same track engaging Lookahead results in increased level and nothing with the purple GR meter.
So inconsistent behaviour.
Now there is consistency in that very time I engage Lookahead there is a significant increase in volume with distortion.

Last edited by Beatworld; 8th March 2021 at 03:39 PM..
Old 8th March 2021
Gear Head
Finally 🔥. 😭❤
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan ➡️
Hello

Edited : Seems like the error did not repeat itself, after I removed the plugin and added it again.
So it much have been some strange glitch.
I will definitely try and reproduce this, as it should not have happened. Question: did it show high output levels in Logic's meters, or just in Fircomp 2's output meters?
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have no experience of Pro-C2, but can say this compressor is unlike any of the 20+ compressors that I do have. I've just bought this without a demo on the strength of V1 which has made it's way into every project, often multiple times, it's the one I try first because it will probably do what I want.

Having just read the pdf that comes with it, it's now jumped to a whole new level, I'm still smiling and I haven't even tried it yet.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello

So it much have been some strange glitch. Well seems like the phenomena came back after I tweaked again.

After it comes in this mode, it does not matter what preset I select cause the level boost always occure after I press
the "Lookahead"
Boom, this is what I'm seeing too Jon.
I have emailed you some screen grabs of the GUI.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a limiter after FirComp 2 and it goes up round 20dB. The input is just the normal drums from Ultrabeat. Same occurs no matter what pattern it is playing.

br
Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
Jon are you sure the Lookahead is working ok ?
When Lookahead is engaged The purple levels in the GR meter are very high and there is a big drop in volume ar first.
When the meters settle down the Purple Right channel is about 1db different to the left, but this is is on stereo tracks with very very even balance between L and R
I can send screen grabs.

Logic 10.6.1
macOS 10.15.7
44/24

UPDATE: and now on the same track engaging Lookahead results in increased level and nothing with the purple GR meter.
So inconsistent behaviour.
Now there is consistency in that very time I engage Lookahead there is a significant increase in volume with distortion.
Ok I've managed to reproduce this, this seems to be a problem with lookahead on mac, but so far not on Windows. Looking into it this afternoon. (I think it's a parameter update issue).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also, the "Limiter" does not get back from Yellow. (Olive theme) when I press it but goes back to normal color after I reduce the compression.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➡️
I have no experience of Pro-C2, but can say this compressor is unlike any of the 20+ compressors that I do have. I've just bought this without a demo on the strength of V1 which has made it's way into every project, often multiple times, it's the one I try first because it will probably do what I want.

Having just read the pdf that comes with it, it's now jumped to a whole new level, I'm still smiling and I haven't even tried it yet.
Same !!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➡️
I will definitely try and reproduce this, as it should not have happened. Question: did it show high output levels in Logic's meters, or just in Fircomp 2's output meters?
The level was huge in the Logic meters.
Luckily I have Limiter 6 GE in the chain so no damage.
But the Limiter meters were flat at the threshold with no dynamic range at all.
Old 8th March 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Been busy recently and not much time for GS but glad I popped on to see this release- instabuy!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➡️
Ok I've managed to reproduce this, this seems to be a problem with lookahead on mac, but so far not on Windows. Looking into it this afternoon. (I think it's a parameter update issue).
The first odd behaviour I noticed was that when Lookahead was engaged the purple meters behaved more like what you would expect in M/S mode - but I was in L/R stereo mode.
Then, at first, a radical drop in volume after selecting Lookahead, but after a few more on and offs of Lookahead that morphed into significant increase in volume with Lookahead on.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After it comes in this "level boost" mode you can switch to any preset and when you press "Lookahead" the boost continues.
Quote:
After it comes in this "level boost" mode you can switch to any preset and when you press "Lookahead" the boost continues.
It's an issue with the lookahead DSP not being properly reset when you switch between enabled / disabled, but seems to only be affecting macs at the moment (afaik). Will issue a patch today.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…