The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fircomp 2 Available
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonVAudio ➡️
Redownload your copy (if you don't have the original download), and then run the fircomp2_unquarantine.command before copying the audio unit / VST3 file to the destination location your system. Email me at fircomp2 at jonvaudio dot com if you have any further problems
Thx Jon. Im out with the children but when im back I will try that.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
This is incredible!

Until now, I spent a lot of time controlling the dynamics of the voices automating volumes, now with FirComp I can compress 8-10db's a vowel, maintaining absolute control and with 0 artifacts or saturations, it saves me a lot of time and the result is even better!
Did you ever try anything like the Waves 'voice leveller' plugin? Just curious... sorry for off-topic.. :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'll buy this soon, the free one is excellent, look forward to trying this after all the super high praise.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have never gotten such good results from software compression ever in my life. Every vocal chain I've ever done was missing something like Fircomp 2. Wow.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose ➡️
Did you ever try anything like the Waves 'voice leveller' plugin? Just curious... sorry for off-topic.. :-)
Yes, in fact before writing my previous comment, I had tried to use vocal rider and it was a failure, there were parts where the volume of the voice was lost, it was to put fircomp and perfect, fully controlled dynamics and voice in front
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Cool, thanks, sounds like the way to go!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Yeah, this comp is ace.

And now that v2 is out and hopefully selling like hotcakes as it deserves, are you considering any other comps, Jon?

I would still be instant buyer for something with this here coding style/box tone, but next time a partner to Fircomp that is more laid out to bubbling grooves. If it was a fantasy unit for me it would have as fantasised before, some release shapes from a few classics in the way the Daking II hardware has, but including a Pye release....lol....but also a Peak/Rms sensing dial, a la Allison GainBrains.

Anyway, regardless what my fantasies are, are you going for another comp, and if so, any clues?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Any news about an AAX version ?
Gear Addict

I've been mixing away at a friend's track with 5 guitars, a bass, drums and vocal for about 4 months on and off, just for the practice really. It's not terribly well recorded in that the mikes were probably the ones they gig with as a covers band - it's a hobby for them if you like. It was all overdubs, they'd made efforts but the recording equipment and location weren't good.

So I was idly staring at my ITB mixer as I did a real time mixdown and noticed nearly everything apart from FIRComp2 and emulation stuff and drum dirtying and reverb was greyed out (OFF) including on the mix bus which just had a touch of TEOTE. Mental! Looking more closely the greyed out was EQ, compressors, multiband compressors, de-essers - desperate fixing stuff.

With the elements now so easily under control, it's become possible to mix this less than perfect track into a lively loud balanced thing.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor ➡️
Any news about an AAX version ?
Waiting for any news here too.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee ➡️
Waiting for any news here too.
Have you been to Jon's site ?...

Quote:
AAX: Although I hope to support this format one day, there is currently no planned date to release an AAX version of Fircomp 2.
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan ➡️
Have you been to Jon's site ?...
Ok. Thanks.

It's nice to see it's not ruled out but we really don't know if he has started working on it or if it's something he might be working on in the near or far future.

I really apreciate the free version wich I can use in BlueCat Patchwork.
However for me to buy I'd like a AAX version wich I can use in Pro Tools Ultimate on Windows 10.
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared to empircal labs arouser?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Not directly and I'm not sure the comparison would be too conclusive as they are pretty different compressors.

What I can say is that Arousor is no longer on my hard drive, while FirComp2 became one of my main 3 compressors.

Not that Arousor was bad, it's just that I've lately been on a quest for VSTs that have aliasing under control, and Arousor was not one of them. Moreover, it did not handle transients quite as effortlessly as FirComp2.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzinlouie ➡️
What I can say is that Arousor is no longer on my hard drive, while FirComp2 became one of my main 3 compressors.

Not that Arousor was bad, it's just that I've lately been on a quest for VSTs that have aliasing under control, and Arousor was not one of them. Moreover, it did not handle transients quite as effortlessly as FirComp2.
Do you own Arousor, but removed it from your hard drive ?

If so you may well regret that move.
Arousor and FirComp2 are completely different compressors.
Both superb at what they do.
Arousor offers great saturation and clipping for absolutely crushing sounds.
Not to mention the new Opto modes.
You can really shape sounds with Arousor using the Detector Sidechain EQ.

FirComp2 offers super transparent compression for invisibly taming transients and applying serious amounts of gain reduction.
It's also handy for doing things like DeEss and Deharsh.

You can't go wrong having both IMHO.

Last edited by Beatworld; 1 week ago at 09:14 AM.. Reason: more info
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
Do you own Arousor, but removed it from your hard drive ?

If so you may well regret that move.
Yes, I've simply uninstalled it. I know some people swear by it, so YMMV, but I couldn't really make friends with it. I've always preferred UAD's Distressor, for example.

Regarding Arousor's clipping/saturation capabilities, I almost never do that ITB, so no regrets here whatsoever.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, I've simply uninstalled it. I know some people swear by it, so YMMV, but I couldn't really make friends with it. I've always preferred UAD's Distressor, for example.

Regarding Arousor's clipping/saturation capabilities, I almost never do that ITB, so no regrets here whatsoever.
Ok all good, I don't have any UAD hardware.
I love Arousor and use it all the time.

cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Can't wait to work Fircomp out for the 1st time this weekend, haven't had a chance to use it yet. Not sure if I'll read the manual or dive right in.

off topic, I'm a fan of the UAD Fatso, I can see that on a drum buss with Fircomp in the chain to help tame things. That'll probably be one of my 1st tests.

Good times.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not directly and I'm not sure the comparison would be too conclusive as they are pretty different compressors.

What are those 3?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
FirComp2, Unisum and ProC2 are the ones I try first unless I look for something very specific, like Kush Novatron and Silika, UAD La2a, Distressor or API 2500, Pulsar 1178 or Softube TLA-100a.

Also, the 525 in Lindell's 50 series. I love that thing but I've only demoed it, waiting for PA to drop the price as they usually do.

I've recently also played a little with Pajsoil and I am shocked at the quality we can get nowadays for literally small change.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
FirComp2, Unisum and ProC2 are the ones I try first unless I look for something very specific, like Kush Novatron and Silika, UAD La2a, Distressor or API 2500, Pulsar 1178 or Softube TLA-100a.

Also, the 525 in Lindell's 50 series. I love that thing but I've only demoed it, waiting for PA to drop the price as they usually do.

I've recently also played a little with Pajsoil and I am shocked at the quality we can get nowadays for literally small change.
Since you mentioned some UADs.

33609 and Fairchild are also 2 that it would be nice to throw Fircomp before and tame a bit of dynamics to press the analog sims without overdoing it.

I'll also try MJUC with it when I get a chance. I'm a big fan of combining 2 comps one clean and one dirty (clean 1st). NI Supercharger is another that would do well with some treatment before hitting it.
Here for the gear

Quote:

I have a $25 voucher spare if you need it
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
You're too kind, thank you so much for your offer.

I'm in no hurry though and I can definitely wait for a PA sale.

Thanks a million though, incredibly nice of you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Jon, I've seen you mention that Fircomp is not the only compressor that you use. I've been wanting ask this but which other plugin compressor do you think can work or works similar to fircomp in the market ? I know they're all just compressors but surely by now we all agree that Fircomp is doing it differently & i just wanted to know if you knew any other that could come close when it comes to transient and envelope shaping. Also why do you think no one before has been able to do something like fircomp, as in, it takes up about 4 megabytes, barely uses any CPU, has almost no distortion and does what it does like a boss. Feel free to ignore my question if you think it's stupid. I'm just genuinely curious and surprised.
Here for the gear

Real PayPal please

I tried Fircomp2 on a guitar and it made a really nice sound out of it with such a smooth and full but natural touch. All eager, I went to buy it but was tremendously disappointed to discover that it wasn't purchasable by PayPal as it seems but only with a regular credit card through PayPal. This setup being something that is turning up more and more in the world and largely removes the point of PayPal.

Thus my request Jon, isn't for gui-istics or fanciable features, all features are already great! but please, if at all possible could you set up the machinery for us to purchase via regular PayPal. If you have to add a surcharge to cover the PayPal fees just do it. For us who will never stick our necks out and use a credit card on the internet, the security and peace of mind are worth it.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notes ➡️
I tried Fircomp2 on a guitar and it made a really nice sound out of it with such a smooth and full but natural touch. All eager, I went to buy it but was tremendously disappointed to discover that it wasn't purchasable by PayPal as it seems but only with a regular credit card through PayPal. This setup being something that is turning up more and more in the world and largely removes the point of PayPal.

Thus my request Jon, isn't for gui-istics or fanciable features, all features are already great! but please, if at all possible could you set up the machinery for us to purchase via regular PayPal. If you have to add a surcharge to cover the PayPal fees just do it. For us who will never stick our necks out and use a credit card on the internet, the security and peace of mind are worth it.
I must be missing something.
I purchased it with PayPal.
I use a credit card linked to my PayPal account, but the vendor doesn't know the details, the purchase is just via PayPal.
I also have a Debit account linked to PayPal, I can choose which account I want to pay with.

How do you use PayPal without linking it to a credit card or bank/debit account?
cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I purchased over regular paypal linked to bank account
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notes ➡️

Hmmm... Are you not seeing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Fircomp 2 Available-screenshot-2021-04-10-08.45.37.png  
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrmazzakR ➡️
Jon, I've seen you mention that Fircomp is not the only compressor that you use. I've been wanting ask this but which other plugin compressor do you think can work or works similar to fircomp in the market ? I know they're all just compressors but surely by now we all agree that Fircomp is doing it differently & i just wanted to know if you knew any other that could come close when it comes to transient and envelope shaping. Also why do you think no one before has been able to do something like fircomp, as in, it takes up about 4 megabytes, barely uses any CPU, has almost no distortion and does what it does like a boss. Feel free to ignore my question if you think it's stupid. I'm just genuinely curious and surprised.
Sorry if this answer is too vague, I don't like telling people what to do Most of the time, if I use another compressor plugin / device, it's because it's different to fircomp, usually more of a VCA-style (where attack & release times affect the envelope detection, rather than gain reduction). But this is not very often for me. I am also a fan of level-independent transient plugins.

I don't know what's inside other plugins, but when designing fircomp I started from the end result I wanted, and then worked backwards. So there's a couple of things in the design that are a bit unusual
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
All the best tools come out of someone wanting a specific tool that doesn't exist yet. To use for themselves. So they have to make it. I am glad you felt the urge to make this. :-)
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…