Quantcast
Help with my mobile setup please. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with my mobile setup please.
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Help with my mobile setup please.

Hi, just trying to establish my best option, here is my setup.

Macbook pro retina 16gb RAM internal ssd - Logic x, plugins
External Lacey 1TB thunderbolt drive - Samples, Logic projects

Currently I open my projects from the external drive.
Would I benefit from saving my projects to a second external drive and
opening from there to avoid any read/write issues?
Or perhaps drag the project from the external drive onto my Macbook only
when working, then saving back to the external drive?
Or have my projects run and saved onto internal macbook ssd

Reason for asking is that things are not quite as speedy or smooth as I was hoping for, buying an external ssd drive would probably sort this but prices for 1TB are rather high at the moment.

I am just trying to get the best possible performance with what I have, there is probably a very scientific and correct way to run this system, maybe someone has a suggestion?

Thanks in advance
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
....hmmm...there should be no read and write issues at all.....sounds like a smooth and fast system you got there...

never tried a tb harddrive....but with fw i never had any problems....no matter how many audiotracks i needed to run....
of course you can push any system to a dead point, but you should'nt be in truble by now....

so what are you missing in detail...?

read and write issues happen if the harddrive has not enough space left or is fragmented a lot....
normally a project with round about 60 audio tracks should always be possible.....

you always better have an extra tape hd with your projects on only....
and there is no need for ssd here...not at all....

and get things straight as much as possible if it comes to saving politics....
forget about saving here and there and here again....
have a tape hd with all your songs and a one to one backup of it....that's it!!!

ssd as an internal system harddrive is best, of course....but on a system drive you only place your programs/apps and your favourite sample libs to stream from...no song documents...at least not if they have lot's of recorded audio.....your system harddrive needs at least one third of free space always....otherwise your system is slowing down a lot...even with ssd....
so everything that needs lots of space again and again should be placed on the external drive....

hard drive issues always belong to long and a lot audio files....plugins only eat up your cpu....audio does'nt....

crackling and interruptions are no read and write issues....that's cpu/buffersize issues...
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
My understanding of read/write maybe wrong but I was under the impression that recording to and streaming samples from the same hard drive was not ideal.
The load times for my sample libraries seems to me to be quite slow I was expecting this to be much quicker over thunderbolt.
I have a project of about 25 tracks at the mo, average amount of samples being used VCC and VTM on every track about 4 tracks of recorded guitar and things are far from happy, even when raising buffer levels. I was hoping to not have to start rendering tracks this early.
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I am also still unsure of where I should actually open my projects from for best performance or if it even matters. I only save things like recorded guitar, vocal etc to my project folder.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
.....no that should be no problem....

your sample libs are a fixed size of gigs.....let them stream from the internal ssd....that's ok....

but your recordings with song docs really should come from the external....saved there and taken from there....always.

and yeah, with thunderbolt you're over the edge of highest possible speed of a traditional 7200 hd.....

so if 25 audiotracks, even in stereo, are not working smooth with at least 256 samples buffersize...somethings wrong that hd, not with thunderbolt....
πŸ“ Reply