Quantcast
Dumb question about music libraries - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dumb question about music libraries
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Dumb question about music libraries

Here goes, I was recently accepted into a music licensing library but have a question. Once your music is submitted into a library, anybody can purchase that music and it is sort of 'out of the hands' of the composer as to who/for what/when?

I guess this question would be filed under moral/ethical. I'm just slightly uncomfortable with the fact that I might have no say as to what company/person picks up my music. Any input?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oymusic ➡️
Here goes, I was recently accepted into a music licensing library but have a question. Once your music is submitted into a library, anybody can purchase that music and it is sort of 'out of the hands' of the composer as to who/for what/when?

I guess this question would be filed under moral/ethical. I'm just slightly uncomfortable with the fact that I might have no say as to what company/person picks up my music. Any input?

Yes. Anyone can use it. Once it's out, it's out. Every year my wife gets PO'd when she see's a seasonal Playboy Channel movie royalties come in.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
Every year my wife gets PO'd when she see's a seasonal Playboy Channel movie royalties come in.

oymusic > OOC, why would you care who uses your music, as long as you are getting paid? Is there anything out there that you feel is unethical?

Come to think of it, I'd be pretty pissed if my music was ever used on the Jersey Shore. Talk about unethical.....
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not even in libraries right now, but I churn out enough music that I stopped getting precious about where my music was used a while ago.

I can't even remember what I wrote last month, let alone care what it's used for.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're too precious with your music you're probably not going to make much money
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oymusic ➡️
PS - if that is your position - and BTW, I TOTALLY respect it - you will need to write CUSTOM music only, and either retain the rights yourself (almost impossible in anything but the ultra low budget or NON paying projects) or have a very tight contract which limits use to the project you are writing for and no others. This will allow you to "select" who gets the use of your music. Anything else (normal composing duties for film, TV, libraries, etc.) will take the options out of your hands and place them in the hands of others who may or may not have your moral / ethical viewpoint.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
PS - if that is your position - and BTW, I TOTALLY respect it - you will need to write CUSTOM music only, and either retain the rights yourself (almost impossible in anything but the ultra low budget or NON paying projects) or have a very tight contract which limits use to the project you are writing for and no others. This will allow you to "select" who gets the use of your music. Anything else (normal composing duties for film, TV, libraries, etc.) will take the options out of your hands and place them in the hands of others who may or may not have your moral / ethical viewpoint.
Thanks for the input. So, even for a film score - they can take your music and use is elsewhere (barring a very limited contract as you mentioned)?

I don't know if it's entirely ethics, but it sort of irks me that I'd have absolutely no say. Nature of the biz and totally understandable, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber ➡️
I'm not even in libraries right now, but I churn out enough music that I stopped getting precious about where my music was used a while ago.

I can't even remember what I wrote last month, let alone care what it's used for.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're too precious with your music you're probably not going to make much money
I'd imagine so, haha. But I have no intentions of doing this kind of work full time, the question was more out of curiosity.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…