Quantcast
Cue Points on Downbeat in Logic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cue Points on Downbeat in Logic
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Cue Points on Downbeat in Logic

I have been really frustrated with a project I received. 10 minute documentary and I need to score it. There are lots of quick tempo changes needed for the project.

My question is: How do you set a frame to a downbeat with a tempo change occurring at that downbeat in logic? Is it even possible?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Are these separate cues? Or changes of tempo in one cue?
If the music is continuous you ought to be able to use 'hold moments' (a held chord / note and then restart in new tempo at the appropriate point) or rallentandos or uneven length bars or any number of other techniques.

If there are gaps between cues and you have space, you can line up the beginning of the cue roughly by adjusting the beat length of any bar to the left of the start point until it's close to beat one of your target bar. Make sure you have a clear bar in the correct time sig before your start point for a count in. Also make sure you have the target tempo written into this bar.

Now go to the bar before the count in bar, write in an new tempo marker and adjust tempo up or down to slide your cue start point left or right until it's spot on.

It's sometimes better to make a template and write all cues separately in different projects so that this doesn't mess up earlier timings or if there's no room to start a new cue.

If you have burnt in timecode in your movie, put the number corresponding to the top of your cue file into the file name for ease of lining up.
No doubt everyone will laugh at this as a mad long way round, but it's been working for me for years,

Barrie

P.S. If you only have room to line up beat 1 of your new tempo, I often start writing the cue a bar late and when I'm happy with the first couple of bars shove the whole thing back one bar to the left so that it starts miraculously on bar one of the new tempo.
I'm sure everyone has their own ideas..
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie B ➑️
Are these separate cues? Or changes of tempo in one cue?
If the music is continuous you ought to be able to use 'hold moments' (a held chord / note and then restart in new tempo at the appropriate point) or rallentandos or uneven length bars or any number of other techniques.

If there are gaps between cues and you have space, you can line up the beginning of the cue roughly by adjusting the beat length of any bar to the left of the start point until it's close to beat one of your target bar. Make sure you have a clear bar in the correct time sig before your start point for a count in. Also make sure you have the target tempo written into this bar.

Now go to the bar before the count in bar, write in an new tempo marker and adjust tempo up or down to slide your cue start point left or right until it's spot on.

It's sometimes better to make a template and write all cues separately in different projects so that this doesn't mess up earlier timings or if there's no room to start a new cue.

If you have burnt in timecode in your movie, put the number corresponding to the top of your cue file into the file name for ease of lining up.
No doubt everyone will laugh at this as a mad long way round, but it's been working for me for years,

Barrie

P.S. If you only have room to line up beat 1 of your new tempo, I often start writing the cue a bar late and when I'm happy with the first couple of bars shove the whole thing back one bar to the left so that it starts miraculously on bar one of the new tempo.
I'm sure everyone has their own ideas..
Thanks!

They are all seperate cues with differnt tempos. I will try your suggestion. Good thing its only 10 mins other wise i would have to ask for different scenes split up
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Seriously, do each cue as a different project, with the same template if that's appropriate- it can make life a lot easier, even on a 10 minute project.
Then if you want to put each new cue in context of the previous ones, well, make a temp mix of each cue as you go along and drop them in on an audio track so that you can hear what you've already done without having all the sequencing there as well.
Do your final mixes when you're happy with everything.

Have fun though!

B
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Seriously, do each cue as a different project, with the same template if that's appropriate- it can make life a lot easier, even on a 10 minute project.
Then if you want to put each new cue in context of the previous ones, well, make a temp mix of each cue as you go along and drop them in on an audio track so that you can hear what you've already done without having all the sequencing there as well.
Do your final mixes when you're happy with everything.

Have fun though!

B
That's what I was thinking of doing. I am just wondering how the hell do these hollywood score writers work..
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
From the manual (about Beat Mapping to Scene Markers, p. 1047):

Quote:
Beat Mapping to Scene Markers
If the global Video track is visible, a QuickTime movie is loaded, and the Detect Cuts function (in the Video track) is used, the detected scene markers appear as available mapping positions (vertical lines) at the bottom of the Beat Mapping track. You can easily define a scene cut position as the first downbeat of a barβ€”by allocating it to the bar position, as described above.

Beat Mapping to Markers
If the Marker track is visible, you can use the desired marker as a mapping position (vertical line at the bottom of the Beat Mapping track) by clicking it. Shift-click to assign multiple markers as beat mapping positions. Once done, you can hide the Marker track.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio ➑️
From the manual (about Beat Mapping to Scene Markers, p. 1047):
Yes, I remember struggling to make this work conveniently for me before - must try again.

I'm used to my way of doing it I guess - that's what I love about these DAWs - everybody seems to use them in different ways..

B
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
wow used logic music for picture template it was cake!
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
So how did you approach it in the end?

Just curious!

Barrie
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So how did you approach it in the end?

Just curious!

Barrie
Hey barrie,

i actually got stuck doing another project. And as this was unpaid project, just asked for extension. so I will be finishing this up at a lter time. but right now i just have scenes cued up on down beats.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Excellent - hope it all turns out well!

Barrie
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicInHeart ➑️
That's what I was thinking of doing. I am just wondering how the hell do these hollywood score writers work..
Film composers have been splitting cues up over this for decades, it is even mentioned in Earl Hagen's early book of Scoring for Films. Much easier to split up the cues.
πŸ“ Reply