Quantcast
what work/tasks do composers for tv+film etc do on a daily basis - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what work/tasks do composers for tv+film etc do on a daily basis
Old 21st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
what work/tasks do composers for tv+film etc do on a daily basis

Hi, i am currently looking into becoming a composer for tv and film etc. i was wondering what this would entail and what i would be getting myself into. thank you
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Most of the time you'd be re-scoring the temp score (cut by the editor and the director from various other film scores), and then re-working parts of the melodies or textures after the lawyers give their opinion on lawsuit probability

No, seriously.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
If you have to ask, you probably don't want to do it.

Seriously.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Music Candy looking for composers

Hi There,

Music Candy is a rapidly growing full-service production music library based in the UK and we are currently looking
for quality writers/producers to add to our roster. There is no exclusive signing here, it is purely an agreement on a
per-album basis. Please be aware that we are NOT looking for songs.

What are we looking for?

We create a concept/themed CD of instrumental music, typically each track would be maximum 2 minutes in length and
Distribute them to our database of core broadcasters in the UK and through our sub-publishers, to major media creative’s around the globe. The music is typically used in TV promos, commercials, trailers, Themes etc.

We are looking for talented and innovative composer/producers who are can write ultra contemporary music tracks in the genres of Rock, Pop, Electro-pop, R&B, Hip Hop, Experimental Hip-Hop, Funky & Electro Breaks, Jazz Drum & Bass,
Industrial Trip-Hop, Pop/dance, Free Form & Dubstep, House. We're also looking for composers who can produce big
Hollywood contemporary film score style themes. Maybe you have a style that hasn't been heard before?? Well of course we'd certainly like to hear that!

Whatever you're thinking of sending us, please make sure it is finished and REALLY good.

The best way to get an idea of what we do is to go to: http://www.musiccandy.com/listen.html

If you think you have music that will interest us, our contact details are on the website.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Home
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle ➡️
Hi, i am currently looking into becoming a composer for tv and film etc. i was wondering what this would entail and what i would be getting myself into. thank you
no sleep, sucky pay (to start with), 1000s of kids who want your job and think they can do it (999 of them probably can't), terrible politics (you're the butt end of post production, and guess what, if their movie tests badly, they'll fire you most likely). It's HARD. Really hard. And that is if you can get the job in the first place and one with a budget that you can end up with part of and make a living off for a few months (that's insanely hard on your first projects).

Can you write 2 to 3 minutes of fully fleshed out music a day (or more, and every day, and all decent stuff)? Can you then produce a demo of it that same day up to standards (which are damn high), and deliver it in a format that doesn't piss anybody off, with correct sync etc.? Can you present that track to a director in a way that shows it in its best light to somebody who may or may not know how to discuss it with you?

Not to mention stem printing, orchestration, rewrites, more rewrites, fixes, making synthmasters/slaves, then more rewrites, more synthmastering and slave printing, conducting/producing sessions, and probably some more rewrites and fixes; not to mention writing and getting approved maybe an hour or more of music in a month or less.

on the good side if you get a good project and can get to the point of making a good living out of it, it's the greatest job in the world.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by londontown ➡️
no sleep, sucky pay (to start with), 1000s of kids who want your job and think they can do it (999 of them probably can't), terrible politics (you're the butt end of post production, and guess what, if their movie tests badly, they'll fire you most likely). It's HARD. Really hard. And that is if you can get the job in the first place and one with a budget that you can end up with part of and make a living off for a few months (that's insanely hard on your first projects).

Can you write 2 to 3 minutes of fully fleshed out music a day (or more, and every day, and all decent stuff)? Can you then produce a demo of it that same day up to standards (which are damn high), and deliver it in a format that doesn't piss anybody off, with correct sync etc.? Can you present that track to a director in a way that shows it in its best light to somebody who may or may not know how to discuss it with you?

Not to mention stem printing, orchestration, rewrites, more rewrites, fixes, making synthmasters/slaves, then more rewrites, more synthmastering and slave printing, conducting/producing sessions, and probably some more rewrites and fixes; not to mention writing and getting approved maybe an hour or more of music in a month or less.
You got me salivating!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…