The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best softsynth for symphonic orchestra sound?
Old 2nd December 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Best softsynth for symphonic orchestra sound?

Hi! What softsynth would you recommend for realistic strings, woodwinds and brass etc? I was offered a job to make ”cinematic classical” music for a film and the budget is not big enough to hire real musicians to play.
Old 3rd December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What softsynth would you recommend for realistic strings, woodwinds and brass etc?

None.

Omnisphere has some semi-realistic string sounds that can work at times.

You need sample libraries if you want strings, woodwinds and brass etc.

Curious - you were hired to compose cinematic classical music for a film, but have nothing in the way of orchestral sample libraries? Isn't that sort of like me getting hired as a chauffeur without owning a car?
Old 3rd December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith ➡️
What softsynth would you recommend for realistic strings, woodwinds and brass etc?

None.

Omnisphere has some semi-realistic string sounds that can work at times.

You need sample libraries if you want strings, woodwinds and brass etc.

Curious - you were hired to compose cinematic classical music for a film, but have nothing in the way of orchestral sample libraries? Isn't that sort of like me getting hired as a chauffeur without owning a car?
Thanks, I’ll check the omnisphere. Is there a sample library you would recommend?

This is first gig for me to do this kind of genre where I probably need orchestral sound. Directors actual words were ”we need music that is acoustic, classical and artsy” so I could probably use a piano and other instruments I have but I want to try something different and owning a good synth/samplepack for strings is not a bad addition to my toolbox.
Old 3rd December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronski ➡️
Thanks, I’ll check the omnisphere. Is there a sample library you would recommend?

This is first gig for me to do this kind of genre where I probably need orchestral sound. Directors actual words were ”we need music that is acoustic, classical and artsy” so I could probably use a piano and other instruments I have but I want to try something different and owning a good synth/samplepack for strings is not a bad addition to my toolbox.
Vienna Instruments Library
Spitfire Audio
East West Sounds
Old 5th December 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Kontakt. Then you will need to purchase 3rd party libraries to play back in Kontakt.
Old 5th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll second everything that's been said here... as far as a single synthesizer plugin goes, Omnisphere comes closest and honestly has tons of great stuff.

I recently got Spitfire's BBC Symphony Orchestra during BF and I have to say, I love it. It's a phenomenal value for what you get (strings, woodwinds, brass, some percussion, tons of articulations), at least during a sale. Incidentally, it runs in Spitfire's own player, not Kontakt. (Kontakt is still very worth getting, though, especially if you dive deeper into this business... it's the industry standard for playing sample-based virtual instruments.)
Old 13th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When you want realistic, you don't want a synthesizer. You want a sample library. Sample libraries record actual musicians with live instruments one note at a time and also (sometimes) as phrases. You play these real audio recordings back in real time using your midi keyboard. Sample libraries have expanded and improved immensely with the increased RAM and storage sizes on computers. Some sample libraries take up hundreds of gigabytes of storage, because they record extensive amounts of dynamics, articulations, mic positions, ensemble sizes, etc. A proper sample library is unquestionably the closest you will get in realism aside from recording your own live orchestra.

Albion One is on sale right now for $269, which is a great price. It is professional quality, and is designed to be easy to use for someone new to orchestral/cinematic writing. I believe it runs in Kontakt Player, which is a free sample library player (I have the full version of Kontakt, so I don't pay much attention to what runs in Kontakt or Kontakt Player. The full version of Kontakt runs all versions of Kontakt libraries).

Confirm that Albion One runs in the free Kontakt Player. If so, that library is worth serious consideration.

To educate yourself, do youtube and google searches with these types of phrases:
"orchestral vst library"
"sample library vst"
"kontakt sample library"
"symphonic sample library vst"
"kontakt symphonic"
"top vst orchestral libraries"
"woodwinds strings brass percussion sample library"
"cinematic vst library"
"epic orchestral kontakt"
"film scoring kontakt"

You will start seeing what this world is. And a great place to get started is Albion One.

Last edited by gearstudent; 13th December 2021 at 02:44 PM..
Old 15th December 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronski ➡️
Hi! What softsynth would you recommend for realistic strings, woodwinds and brass etc? I was offered a job to make ”cinematic classical” music for a film and the budget is not big enough to hire real musicians to play.
You need access to a bunch of high quality sample libraries. Which can be expensive.

To start out it may be a good idea to look at EastWest Composer Cloud which gives you access to all their instruments ( which EW say would cost you $15k to puchase ) for a low monthly subscripion , and that way you only need to pay for it whilst you''re scoring the film and you won't be limited by your budget.

Once you've done the gig you'll probably have a much better idea of what you need and whether it's worth investing in some other libraries or just using Composer Cloud when you need it.
Old 15th December 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Good question OP.

I think it's also helpful to other users to define how much time are you willing to devote to learning how to use a product or do you just want to load up and start composing away? I have never used Omnisphere, but from what I have seen, it looks like there is a learning curve.

FWIW.. from the little orchestral stuff I have tried.. it seems Spitfire is really good and that's why it costs so much. It does sound better than whats in IKM Miroslav and the NI Komplete collection to me.
Old 12th January 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I bought Albion One and Kontakt, I’m very happy, just what I was looking for! I may still have to find a sample library which has individual instruments, Albion might be too massive in occasions when more intimate sound is needed.
📝 Reply