The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
It took me 6 days! :)
Old 30th September 2021
It took me 6 days! :)

There is something that can really take me out of the flow while making music.
I have invested a lot in my Digital Studio and I have a lot of sounds. A large percentage of those sounds are not to my taste and I would never use those sounds.

Over the past 6 days, I've spent a lot of hours sorting and categorizing almost all of my sounds (I'm not there yet). Today I spent 6,5 hours to work on this.
I sat on it for so long that I now have square eyes.
I postponed this work for a very long time because I did not have the patience to go through all my sounds.

I decided to just do it.

Now when I scroll through the synth sounds I only hear sounds that make me happy and that I can use.
It's wonderful to scroll through the sounds without hearing annoying frequencies that I can't do anything with and that take away my motivation.

I'm not there yet, but the biggest and most important job is done.
Omni was the biggest job to work on and is now fully categorized with almost all my other synths.

I can also scroll through the 3rd party synth presets with a lot of synths in my DAW. Really delicious.

I know this topic may not quite fit in this section of the forum. But since I make music for picture I thought it was important to share it.

I can recommend this to everyone.

What about you guys?
Old 30th September 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Some composers use a main template that has everything they'll ever need all in one session, sometimes hundreds of tracks and instruments ready to go. Some will do this at the beginning of each project, selecting only what they will need for that particular job. I believe this is pretty common.
Old 2nd October 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Congratulations!

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Next, you'll be creating templates for different genres and projects. I've accumulated many over the last decade or so.

Have fun with it and enjoy your new workflow.
Old 3rd October 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage ➡️
Congratulations!

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Next, you'll be creating templates for different genres and projects. I've accumulated many over the last decade or so.

Have fun with it and enjoy your new workflow.
Thanks,

Yes, that will be my next step.
Cheers!
Old 3rd October 2021

🎧 10 years
I can't say I wouldn't ever use a particular sound because it's entirely contextual
Old 4th October 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
My tastes change fairly frequently. Plus sometimes sounds I would not normally "choose" for taste reasons become perfect for the piece. I have spent weeks making templates. These days, I generally make a simple template for the project, then tweak (inevitable) as I get going into it.
Old 4th October 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 20 years
As an exercise, take something you totally hate and build a recording around it. When you mix for other people, sometimes you get to do exactly that.
Old 4th October 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
As an exercise, take something you totally hate and build a recording around it. When you mix for other people, sometimes you get to do exactly that.
That's some good advice! I will try it.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
My tastes change fairly frequently. Plus sometimes sounds I would not normally "choose" for taste reasons become perfect for the piece. I have spent weeks making templates. These days, I generally make a simple template for the project, then tweak (inevitable) as I get going into it.
Luckily I still have access to al the sound I don't like.
I always thought that I didn't need templates. Now that I use 'em I dont wanna go back.
I don't wanna get lost in too many custom made templates so I made few of them (till now
)

Simplicity, I'll keep that in mind when building my next templates! (And music)

They say; less is more. For me not always the case but mostly it is.
Old 4th October 2021

🎧 10 years
I use Akai VIP 3 which aggregates your VSTi's into a single interface and maps / metatags the patches.

There is a rating system so you can give a patch between 1 -5 stars and you can sort by favourites when searching for sounds.

I got it free with a controller but it's been quite handy, sadly discontinued now though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicdolphin ➡️
I use Akai VIP 3 which aggregates your VSTi's into a single interface and maps / metatags the patches.

There is a rating system so you can give a patch between 1 -5 stars and you can sort by favourites when searching for sounds.

I got it free with a controller but it's been quite handy, sadly discontinued now though.
That sounds really handy!
Too bad it is discontinued.
Old 29th October 2022 | Show parent

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiussound ➡️
That sounds really handy!
Too bad it is discontinued.
the controller is discontinued, but, to my amazement, they keep supporting VIP, there is a M1 compatible version!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

congratulation bro , have fun and take advantage of your new workflow.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Well it is actually a good start to me
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 ➡️
Some composers use a main template that has everything they'll ever need all in one session, sometimes hundreds of tracks and instruments ready to go. Some will do this at the beginning of each project, selecting only what they will need for that particular job. I believe this is pretty common.
Hes just organizing his synth presents... Well not "just"
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiussound ➡️
There is something that can really take me out of the flow while making music.
I have invested a lot in my Digital Studio and I have a lot of sounds. A large percentage of those sounds are not to my taste and I would never use those sounds.

Over the past 6 days, I've spent a lot of hours sorting and categorizing almost all of my sounds (I'm not there yet). Today I spent 6,5 hours to work on this.
I sat on it for so long that I now have square eyes.
I postponed this work for a very long time because I did not have the patience to go through all my sounds.

I decided to just do it.

Now when I scroll through the synth sounds I only hear sounds that make me happy and that I can use.
It's wonderful to scroll through the sounds without hearing annoying frequencies that I can't do anything with and that take away my motivation.

I'm not there yet, but the biggest and most important job is done.
Omni was the biggest job to work on and is now fully categorized with almost all my other synths.

I can also scroll through the 3rd party synth presets with a lot of synths in my DAW. Really delicious.

I know this topic may not quite fit in this section of the forum. But since I make music for picture I thought it was important to share it.

I can recommend this to everyone.

What about you guys?
Really awesome idea. Its so daunting searching through robot lizard farts or grandams etherial raptures... The old scroll wheel on a sound module was always nice... I agree its just too much and always in the way. Sometimes its the only way. The 6 hrs it took you is going to save you endless hours.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefSupreme ➡️
Hes just organizing his synth presents... Well not "just"
That’s exactly what a good template is for, organizing presets.

You can have all of your bass presets in a section with the same colour, all of your pads, etc. it makes everything very easy to find and your workflow gets very fast this way.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 ➡️
That’s exactly what a good template is for, organizing presets.

You can have all of your bass presets in a section with the same colour, all of your pads, etc. it makes everything very easy to find and your workflow gets very fast this way.
Yes I know.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…