Quantcast
Survey: What Do You Consider A Good Quarterly Payout From Your PRO? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Survey: What Do You Consider A Good Quarterly Payout From Your PRO?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Survey: What Do You Consider A Good Quarterly Payout From Your PRO?

aaaa

Last edited by ohwell; 1 week ago at 01:15 AM.. Reason: pointless
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You are asking people to publish their income. I don't think you will get many responses here.

Also, you can not assign a certain $ amt (not even a range) to a certain # of cues. Far too many variables.

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Actually nevermind

Last edited by ohwell; 1 week ago at 01:15 AM.. Reason: blah
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Truth? Jeff will tell you if you ask nicely.

IMO, a good PRO placement would need to be the same amount as what your average office worker makes per year. Unfortunately at this point in time, in the US, that's becoming more and more rare. (It used to be fairly standard for hard working guys with a decade or two of music out there (thousands of songs.).

Some library music guys are still making 6 figures, but they are guys who have literally thousands, or tens of thousands of placements covering thousands of titles over the years. I am not aware of anyone starting out is making anywhere close to that.

There are a bunch of guys who I think have been in the biz quite awhile who I tend to think are pro and doing well.....and then I hear them complaining about payouts under 2-4k. Quarterly. I guess that might be enough to live on in Guatemala or Indonesia. Not in the EU or US.

Good luck getting any more info than that. I'm certainly not going to tell you what I make quarterly. I WILL say that it's not enough.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️

I read his op; it was nice enough.

Now, can I answer nicely.... well, still working on that
Gear Maniac

Quote:

IMO, a good PRO placement would need to be the same amount as what your average office worker makes per year. Unfortunately at this point in time, in the US, that's becoming more and more rare. (It used to be fairly standard for hard working guys with a decade or two of music out there (thousands of songs.).

Some library music guys are still making 6 figures, but they are guys who have literally thousands, or tens of thousands of placements covering thousands of titles over the years. I am not aware of anyone starting out is making anywhere close to that.

There are a bunch of guys who I think have been in the biz quite awhile who I tend to think are pro and doing well.....and then I hear them complaining about payouts under 2-4k. Quarterly. I guess that might be enough to live on in Guatemala or Indonesia. Not in the EU or US.

Good luck getting any more info than that. I'm certainly not going to tell you what I make quarterly. I WILL say that it's not enough.
You know what I think... I think there are some guys on here making six figures, with not that many tracks out there. I met a guy at the LA Production Music conference (the last one before covid) who had about 250 tracks. He'd bought a multimillion dollar home off of his production music. Go figure.

I don't think royalties are dead in every country.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
There's outliers everywhere you look!! Good for your acquaintance!!

There ARE guys making 6 figures. I think I said that above.

I don't think anyone is saying that royalties are "dead". They are certainly in decline compared to a decade ago though.... Facts and numbers don't lie.

Just means you have to work harder, write more, get more placements to stay status quo.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anything above $15,000 a quarter is a good payout. Not great, but good.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires ➡️
is that what you're seeing?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Living where I do, in Oklahoma, I consider ~$8k to be an okay payout! For the year, that puts you at around a teacher's starting salary (which is unfortunately garbage in Oklahoma). Though that includes no benefits of any kind. But its still more than my wife's previous full time salary in a low level graphic design job here.

Man I used to live so cheaply 🤣
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc ➡️
is that what you're seeing?
Fa sho!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMcDonald ➡️
Living where I do, in Oklahoma, I consider ~$8k to be an okay payout! For the year, that puts you at around a teacher's starting salary (which is unfortunately garbage in Oklahoma). Though that includes no benefits of any kind. But its still more than my wife's previous full time salary in a low level graphic design job here.

Man I used to live so cheaply 🤣
That's the thing.. no benefits. So once you're a bit older you gotta be at least over $15k/quarter just to cover your monthly health insurance and living expenses. I guess. Unless you just want to risk it and hope you don't go bankrupt! What a wonderful world!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell ➡️
That's the thing.. no benefits. So once you're a bit older you gotta be at least over $15k/quarter just to cover your monthly health insurance and living expenses. I guess. Unless you just want to risk it and hope you don't go bankrupt! What a wonderful world!
Just marry someone with a day job who has benefits and you are all set. Day job pays the mortgage, utilities, and groceries. And the royalty checks pays the spouse’s car note for that new BMW X5. Can’t forget the M3 for me!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
How abt I reframe the question of OP? What do you consider a good payout per year for lets say a 30tracks in the hands of a reliable publisher?
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman7 ➡️
How abt I reframe the question of OP? What do you consider a good payout per year for lets say a 30tracks in the hands of a reliable publisher?
$30,000 per year.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Good Quarterly Payout?

I'll let you know when I get one
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
$30,000 per year.
Really? Hope its not a typo! I see everywhere people complaining most placements pay in pennies. I've seen a friend's statement, most placements showed up like $0.00---. It was some 80pages long statement but only abt 20% of placements paidout abt 2$ to 25$. Abt 3% placements (in networks like cbs, abc) paid out well ranging from80$ to 150$. Based on that i have seen an average of 10$ per placement (actually its much less than that) is what one could practically expect. If thats the case then to reach $30,000/year these 30 tracks should fetch you abt 3000 entries in the PRO statement. Even if every single sync made abt 5 entries in the statement that makes abt 600 syncs. Now that gotta be either exceptional or impossible!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm going to presume you're talking about back end PRO payouts. Yes? And YEARLY - right?

So difficult to say. For so MANY reasons. Things to consider while figuring out how to spend the cash your tracks haven't yet made.

- 1. often it's one or two tracks that perform very well, and some never get used. For inexplicable reasons. Don't ask me why. But it's happened to me countless times and I have no explanation. (this plays into the NUMBERS game - see below)

- 2. what TYPE of placements? Reality TV, Commercials, Internet, etc.? They all pay vastly different.

- 3. Does your library have worldwide sub publishing, or just pushing in your particular country? USA?

- 4. How many Alt versions does your track have. Is 30 actually 300 discrete tracks? This can make a big difference. As much as I love the main themes the way I wrote them, they get exponentially less plays than alternate mix tracks.

- 5. How long have the tracks been up for sync, and are they evergreen or are they "flavor of the day" style tracks? Evergreen will keep performing, but might never spike big. "Flavor of the Day" has a better chance of spiking big, but will often become out of date quickly.

So many variables. Is your track "I'm a wanted man - Royal Deluxe". Getting intense play for a few years on a few high profile placements paying out thousands, then virtually disappearing. Or is it a upbeat dramedy orchestral track getting hundreds to thousands of placements that pay out between $0.01 to $25 that will continue on a decade or two.

There's zero doubt that this is a numbers game. Zero doubt. If you put out 30 HipHop tracks, you're competing against yourself. if you put out 30 completely different tracks in 30 different styes, you don't have enough consistency to have 4-5 in any one style to score a project with your music. There are so many variables. But the bottom line - 30 is a nice dip of your toes into the water, but will not get you anywhere significant unless you have a once in a lifetime breakthrough track.

I'd expect somewhere < $900 a year. $1500 + a year would be what I would consider exceptional - jumping up and down great. At least for TV usage as that's where the bulk of my placements go. Using BMI and all types of music for media as the metric. You need a very, very good publisher who is well connected to production companies and music supervisors to hit the above numbers. Not a P5 style library that waits for users to show up at their website.

Last edited by drBill; 4 days ago at 05:19 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Yea! that seems to be around what I assumed for reality tv or docu placements. This could be totally not worth it unless someone ends up in a good sync split or upfront deal with a good publisher. But this could also be really fruitful cumulatively on a long run.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Really? Hope its not a typo! I see everywhere people complaining most placements pay in pennies. I've seen a friend's statement, most placements showed up like $0.00---. It was some 80pages long statement but only abt 20% of placements paidout abt 2$ to 25$. Abt 3% placements (in networks like cbs, abc) paid out well ranging from80$ to 150$. Based on that i have seen an average of 10$ per placement (actually its much less than that) is what one could practically expect. If thats the case then to reach $30,000/year these 30 tracks should fetch you abt 3000 entries in the PRO statement. Even if every single sync made abt 5 entries in the statement that makes abt 600 syncs. Now that gotta be either exceptional or impossible!
Gotta do the research to get to the real numbers.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Gotta do the research to get to the real numbers.

Or, we could just dream of make believe numbers, right?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yea! that seems to be around what I assumed for reality tv or docu placements. This could be totally not worth it unless someone ends up in a good sync split or upfront deal with a good publisher. But this could also be really fruitful cumulatively on a long run.
One little secret (oops!!) that many don't know about.....

The reasons commercials pay out so much? Because they play thousands of times - compared to a high profile TV show or film that MAYBE plays twice a year. That's where reality TV shows end up holding their own. At least til they get back-lifed to streaming. They can play a dozens of times a month, hundreds of times a year, and if popular, can add up nicely.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Or, we could just dream of make believe numbers, right?
Not me.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yea I worded it pretty much that way in my original post but the clique of old guard composers obviously don't like the "little people" making posts, so to stroke their egos they shoot down anything that doesn't fit their narrative (i.e. I'm a very important person).

Welcome to the internet, gigantic waste of time
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell ➡️
Yea I worded it pretty much that way in my original post but the clique of old guard composers obviously don't like the "little people" making posts, so to stroke their egos they shoot down anything that doesn't fit their narrative (i.e. I'm a very important person).

Welcome to the internet, gigantic waste of time
Who you calling old????

And who are you calling a guard?

For me, I was only trying to help, in some small way, whilst being honest. Oh well.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat ➡️
Who you calling old????

And who are you calling a guard?

For me, I was only trying to help, in some small way, whilst being honest. Oh well.
Getting old sucks Jeff. But it beats the alternative.... LOL

And who you calling a composer!!! You forgot that Jeff.

Some people only want to be told what they want to be told Jeff. What happened to your thread? Never saw it. I bet you said a disparaging word didn't you?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Getting old sucks Jeff.
Yeah - you ain't kidding!

Quote:
And who you calling a composer!!! You forgot that Jeff.
Oh yeah. My bad.

Quote:
What happened to your thread? Never saw it. I bet you said a disparaging word didn't you?
From me? Never!!!!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Just Relax!!
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If you put out 30 HipHop tracks, you're competing against yourself. if you put out 30 completely different tracks in 30 different styes, you don't have enough consistency to have 4-5 in any one style to score a project with your music.
Yes indeed. Lot of writers don't seem to understand that.

If you can write in lots of different styles then I would imagine that's a definite advantage. Also writing to briefs that subs/publishers want at any given time. They generally have a good idea of what is wanted.
📝 Reply