The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone concerned with royalties taking a hit with the virus?
Old 22nd July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell ➡️
No, these are top tier libraries..
If you aren’t making money, the tier doesn’t matter. See if you can get your tracks back. Doesn’t hurt to ask.
Old 11th December 2020
Here for the gear
December PRS down 50% here.
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawglee ➡️
Same.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Same.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Same here, ouch...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Are you guys comparing this to last December?

I'm hearing that in general it has gone down. I must have got lucky because mine went up by 77%. Maybe there's a big payment one that happened.
Old 11th December 2020
Here for the gear
My December payment has been increasing slowly, and in a fairly uniform way over the past 8 years, so I was fairly surprised by the 50% drop. I think 2021 is going to be a uncertain year for royalties. Time to batten down the hatches!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
My December payment has been increasing slowly, and in a fairly uniform way over the past 8 years, so I was fairly surprised by the 50% drop. I think 2021 is going to be a uncertain year for royalties. Time to batten down the hatches!
My Oct distribution was highest I’ve had so it was looking very promising. Mine has been steadily growing but every now and then you get a mysterious drop. Whether it’s covid-related or not will be interesting, but on the whole my December is usually pretty good, especially since you see top ups from commercials and certain networks in that month.

The 50% drop sucks, but I’m always prepared for it! The inner cynic is waiting for the day when the substantial royalty cheques simply stop coming. (Streaming anyone?)

I had a few nationwide ad campaigns and promos broadcast this year which makes the drop extra weird. Wonder if we can expect a boost in April.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 ➡️
Wonder if we can expect a boost in April.
I don't think so. 2021 going well into 2022 you are going to see the covid effect properly. Because of the delay in foreign income etc. this hasn't properly hit home yet and 2020 has in fact been a record year for many.

Top Tip: Please don't anyone give up the day job to become a composer!

It's gonna get messy out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo ➡️
I don't think so. 2021 going well into 2022 you are going to see the covid effect properly. Because of the delay in foreign income etc.
Oh lucky us.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 ➡️
Oh lucky us.
One has to look on the bright side though. Vaccine comes, everyone is happy, the World breathes a sigh of relief, a wonderful new era lies ahead, people are nicer and friendlier, people enjoy life more, there's a frenzy of new productions, ads, promos, trailers...the demand for quality choons becomes massive...

In 2023 we could quite literally be earning hundreds of $$$
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
My PRS is down on last year's also
Old 11th December 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I won’t order a new Porsche just yet but my PRS is ( slightly )up.
Here for the gear

Not quite a 50% drop but as good as. Hopefully things will begin to get back on track by Dec ‘21. This pandemic has certainly increased the speed of change in many sectors. Perhaps the demise in royalties from sync has also been accelerated. Always opportunities in a crisis but it’s pretty hard to see any right now! Best of luck folks. Keep up the quality
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting and sobering.

My Dec PRS is up about 30% from last years. Overall, the year is up about 30% from 2019.

I was tempted to make some gear investments to bring my tax bill down but think maybe I'll hold onto it to tide me over 2021 should things dip.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber ➡️

My Dec PRS is up about 30% from last years. Overall, the year is up about 30% from 2019.

I was tempted to make some gear investments to bring my tax bill down but think maybe I'll hold onto it to tide me over 2021 should things dip.
I think that would be wise.

Our income comes from many foreign and domestic sources. There can be a 1-2 year delay with those foreign ones (sometimes longer actually).

So we aren't gonna see a hit for those foreign ones now, we are gonna see them 1-2 years from maybe March 2020.

It pays to be cautious in this game I reckon.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Same here mate, and there’s quite a few things I’m in need of too, gear wise, but I think I will hold out a bit longer.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
A good December PRS can be bolstered a lot if you've had a good previous year of placements in the Netherlands.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
April PRS down 3% compared to last April.

MCPS up 6% compared to the same.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

So how is everyone's PRS looking for this April 2021?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No complaints from me. Higher than usual — will be interesting to see why when full statements are released.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Down quite a bit although more placements than ever ( which means nothing...). Not good.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Very good!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…