Quantcast
iPhone Speaker emulator for referencing mixes? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iPhone Speaker emulator for referencing mixes?
Old 9th April 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
iPhone Speaker emulator for referencing mixes?

Hello,

I'm looking to get a small set of speakers that closely replicates something thing like a mobile phone / iPhone speaker for referencing mixing. I feel that people listening through these devices are a lot more common these days.

I currently have a pair of standard monitors, and a pair of auratones. I'm also planning on getting a sub woofer soon as well..

The majority of my mixes will be addressed with my main set of monitors, with the aid of my bass heavy sub. My mid range heavy auratones let me hear what it sounds like on a MacBook laptop. But I find myself always taking my mixes, and emailing them to myself, and then opening them up on my iPhone to hear how they sound on that.

I know I could use the auratones to reference a smaller speaker like an iPhone, but I think it doesn't do justice than something smaller and closer to the actual thing.

My monitor switcher has an extra 3rd channel for another set. Instead of sending files and always checking on my physical iPhone, id like to conveinently monitor flip from my mains, to the auratones, to something similar to an one.

Any suggestions on what would be close / have the port jacks to do this? I'm also debating whether it should be in mono or stereo.

Thanks
Old 9th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrice506 ➑️
Hello,

I'm looking to get a small set of speakers that closely replicates something thing like a mobile phone / iPhone speaker for referencing mixing. I feel that people listening through these devices are a lot more common these days.

I currently have a pair of standard monitors, and a pair of auratones. I'm also planning on getting a sub woofer soon as well..

The majority of my mixes will be addressed with my main set of monitors, with the aid of my bass heavy sub. My mid range heavy auratones let me hear what it sounds like on a MacBook laptop. But I find myself always taking my mixes, and emailing them to myself, and then opening them up on my iPhone to hear how they sound on that.

I know I could use the auratones to reference a smaller speaker like an iPhone, but I think it doesn't do justice than something smaller and closer to the actual thing.

My monitor switcher has an extra 3rd channel for another set. Instead of sending files and always checking on my physical iPhone, id like to conveinently monitor flip from my mains, to the auratones, to something similar to an one.

Any suggestions on what would be close / have the port jacks to do this? I'm also debating whether it should be in mono or stereo.

Thanks
Why not use an iphone?

Whatever speakers you try to use to "replicate" the iphone wont be a true representation. Everything I do i checked on a laptop, iphone and iphone w/earbuds. And whenever i can bring myself to buy some Beats headphones, they will be apart of the equation too. If i was performing Id be checking stuff at sound check in venues too.

Your idea of listening to mixes based on what people really listen to music on is right. Just use those actual devices.
Old 9th April 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the reply. At the moment, I currently am using my iPhone, but I'm looking for a more convient way to reference. It is a hassle to email files all the time, and my phone isn't always by me, or has power. I'm looking for something fast and consisent that I can just flip that monitor switch and instantly hear it in the mix.
Old 9th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Patchbay and monitor controller will do the trick.

Neil
Old 9th April 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amishsixstringe ➑️
Patchbay and monitor controller will do the trick.

Neil
Hi Neil,

I currently am using a 3 channel monitor controller. I am not too familiar with patch bays, but see they are a bit pricey. I'm just looking for something inexpensive to hook up to my 3rd channel in my switcher.

I came across this small speaker which is only $5 which may be close to a mobile phone:

Mini MP3 Speaker | Logo Computer Accessories | 3.44 Ea.

I would have to get a Y cable I assume, if I were to go ahead and get this.
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ahh ok I see what you mean.
How about nicecast?
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been studio where the owner had an actual iPhone speaker (not the phone itself, just the speaker) wired in as a monitoring option. I imagine you could track one down as a spare part on eBay or something.
Old 10th April 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q ➑️
I've been studio where the owner had an actual iPhone speaker (not the phone itself, just the speaker) wired in as a monitoring option. I imagine you could track one down as a spare part on eBay or something.
That would be ideal haha
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You should be able to achieve what you're after with a convolution plugin.
Old 10th April 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think there's an Android app for that.

Old 10th April 2015
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I would use a real iPhone with an app like Airfoil Speakers Touch: https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ios/
Old 10th April 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Here is a convoluted answer:
send white noise through I phone.
record it with a microphone.

Use fabfilter Q2 auto match to find the curve the matches the difference between the white noise and the recorded signal.

Apply EQ curve to mixes

Same concept as convolution
Old 10th April 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q ➑️
This wouldn't be too hard to do. Personally I think it would be better to use a full phone vs just the raw speaker element itself. The slots in the case that the speaker fires out of would affect the sound a bit.

After looking at this guide: How to fix the loud speaker assembly in an iPhone 4S | iMore

You could buy a broken iPhone for as cheap as possible, take it apart to gain access to the terminals of the speaker element, solder a small-gauge co-ax cable to the terminals, make a small hole somewhere in the case for the cable to come out of and then connect it to a low-wattage mono chip amp + power supply. Then just patch that bad-boy in to your monitor controller for a fulltime hassle free iPhone reference.
Old 29th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
just put a high pass EQ on the master bus and play with the freq from 2k to 6k to match your phone. What mix engineers have done for years.
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
89 bucks for this
definitely buy
M-Ref
Old 13th November 2015

🎧 10 years
i have cannibalised iPhones. The EQ method doesn't work so well.
Old 13th November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio ➑️
89 bucks for this
definitely buy
M-Ref
compared to Auratones (obviously different sound wise) but as a reference for small speakers?
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
they definitely are the auratones of the 2010's!... I have a few old ones laying around that I use for just music now, so will just port over a mix, or use some cheap thrift store iTunes iHome cradles or whatever, , ...test on laptop.... considering probably 50% of music is listened to that way these days (at least through speakers ((laptop speakers/phones etc..), worth doing...
Old 13th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
i have cannibalised iPhones. The EQ method doesn't work so well.
This thread is very strange because I have not seen a mix engineer (nor myself) do anything but EQ the master bus to get a phone simulation. You only need to hear a few seconds to get a feel for your mix so all this wiring and taking a phone apart seems like a huge waste of time.
Old 14th November 2015 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claborn ➑️
This thread is very strange because I have not seen a mix engineer (nor myself) do anything but EQ the master bus to get a phone simulation. You only need to hear a few seconds to get a feel for your mix so all this wiring and taking a phone apart seems like a huge waste of time.
Thats not how phone speakers (or any small speaker) work though. They distort differently, they handle;e transients VERY differently.

I mix film and video game scores. My studio has a full range surround rig and sets of TV, laptop and phone speakers... these are my two consumer delivery mechanisms!! I used to mix a LOT of TV programmes years ago - and had various TV box speakers.

Mixing commercial pop music etc is different. In fact most commercial pop music does not sound as good as game or TV or film mixes on those sort of devices. It's a different process.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thats not how phone speakers (or any small speaker) work though. They distort differently, they handle;e transients VERY differently.

I mix film and video game scores. My studio has a full range surround rig and sets of TV, laptop and phone speakers... these are my two consumer delivery mechanisms!! I used to mix a LOT of TV programmes years ago - and had various TV box speakers.

Mixing commercial pop music etc is different. In fact most commercial pop music does not sound as good as game or TV or film mixes on those sort of devices. It's a different process.
I've never seen anybody mix anything like that. music, film or otherwise.

So what do you do when they come out with a new model iphone? or like now how samsung phones are more popular. do you have to keep taking each model apart?

🎧 10 years
Quote:

So what do you do when they come out with a new model iphone? or like now how samsung phones are more popular. do you have to keep taking each model apart?
One is enough!! I only have one grot box, one set of PC speakers to check and one full range monitor set. One of each is fine. All routed from ICON.

I've mixed like this for quite a while. You've never seen anyone mix with auratones? or those little triangle TV monitors (can't remember the brand but I have a clone) that are all over TV mix land?

I've seen loads of people mix this way - including me! I've mixed something like 80 film scores and hundreds of game scores - this speaker check is vital for modern (say) iPhone games or broadcast checks for BBC iPlayer.
I hate rendering, offloading to a device tc - so having the multiple set ups including grot box stuff. I've taken a phone apart because it gets me to mix the phone stuff and/or laptop stuff faster than doing it another way. Its cut an hour off my tweaking if the score is targeted to mobile platforms - it saves me money and the client time! I'm far from the only person doing this. Just like I'm not the only person checking a mono mix on one auratone.

Just about every mixer in the world checks on other speakers. Bypassing a speaker to get a small device response means not optimally checking the mix for that device. I did that in the early day s- but it isn't enough! Going the extra mile is the only way to get it "right". It's much quicker!
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
89 bucks for this
definitely buy
M-Ref
that is awesome .. i just picked up the Avantone Mixcube ...

thank you for posting the link .. john
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
One is enough!! I only have one grot box, one set of PC speakers to check and one full range monitor set. One of each is fine. All routed from ICON.

I've mixed like this for quite a while. You've never seen anyone mix with auratones? or those little triangle TV monitors (can't remember the brand but I have a clone) that are all over TV mix land?

I've seen loads of people mix this way - including me! I've mixed something like 80 film scores and hundreds of game scores - this speaker check is vital for modern (say) iPhone games or broadcast checks for BBC iPlayer.
I hate rendering, offloading to a device tc - so having the multiple set ups including grot box stuff. I've taken a phone apart because it gets me to mix the phone stuff and/or laptop stuff faster than doing it another way. Its cut an hour off my tweaking if the score is targeted to mobile platforms - it saves me money and the client time! I'm far from the only person doing this. Just like I'm not the only person checking a mono mix on one auratone.

Just about every mixer in the world checks on other speakers. Bypassing a speaker to get a small device response means not optimally checking the mix for that device. I did that in the early day s- but it isn't enough! Going the extra mile is the only way to get it "right". It's much quicker!
having different sets of monitors is one thing but no, I've never seen someone rig up a jig using actual parts of a phone speaker just to check references. past the mono check and small pc speakers, I've always used different EQ presets for emulations of various situations.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
having different sets of monitors is one thing but no, I've never seen someone rig up a jig using actual parts of a phone speaker just to check references. past the mono check and small pc speakers, I've always used different EQ presets for emulations of various situations.
Im not checking references (well - i suppose I am!! but its targeted for platform in this case) - nor am i mixing pop music. It's about ensuring translation for targeted mixes - some TV, some film work and video games. Many people do this!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I'm with narcoman on this..

I have been in and out of many studios over the last 25+ years, and I have never seen anyone NOT have a similar setup. Despite what I imagine you being somewhat facetious in terms of getting the "latest" samsung or whatnot, it is obviously general practice to check mixes on different playback devices you know the end consumer is going to employ.
If it is mixing for music, you generally check on auratones, different speakers, iPhones, some of those crappy little iHome units etc, laptops, car stereos etc if you have time, ... just to get an idea.. you don't obsess over it, but it's good to get a reality check once in awhile after monitoring on better speakers to know how "most" people are going to encounter the music.

In television, commercial, video game, film work, this is also extremely crucial.... because most people listen on either the poor speakers on most commercial tv's, sound bars and things that just implement phase throwing to simulate surround, consumer surround systems etc.... and hopefully if you know what you are doing, a mix on a larger budget system will translate, but never a bad idea to check.... and it's not as simple as just applying an eq curve... (if it was we would all still be using Antares Mic Modeler and calling it a day...... )..

I don't spend a lot of time checking this stuff, but absolutely, if given time, will do a quick check to make sure I am not being an idiot on some frequencies etc... and to make sure what I intend to communicate musically is translating to the devices most of the installed user base will be using...
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Good to know, different strokes for different folks.
Old 15th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, FWIW the studio I went to that had an iPhone speaker wired into it is owned by a Grammy winning mix engineer. I thought it was a good idea personally.
Old 17th November 2015 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Good to know, different strokes for different folks.
absolutely. Its definitely worth doing......

Its been a FAIRLY recent thing for me in response to the overwhelming majority of mix work not targeted at music product; there are inevitably mobile and laptop considerations at play.
Old 2nd September 2016 | Show parent
Deleted e08fb88
Quote:
89 bucks for this
definitely buy
M-Ref
Horrible speaker. just got it. tries to emulate devices and doesn't really succeed.

thumbs down
πŸ“ Reply