The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Motu 2408mk3 or new RME Hammerfal?
Old 4th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Motu 2408mk3 or new RME Hammerfal?

Can anyone comment on the new cuemix/onboard dsp mixing on the Mk3..what kind of latencies are you getting in Logic for instance?

I'm planning on getting a shiny new dual 1ghz beast soon, and want to get a nice interface with it. The Motu mk3 seems a good option, and I'm especially interested in the onboard dsp which is apperently used to mix incoming signals with near zero latency.

On the other hand, i've had good results with my rme digi 96/8 running on a pc (although i'm using it with Gigastudio and not for recording/mixing work) and the new rme hammerfall card also looks very good.

At some point I'll be switching to OSX and run either Logic or SX (which is starting to look very good) with one of these new interfaces.

Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Joris
Old 5th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
re: Motu 2408mk3 or new RME Hammerfal?

One thing I'd personally keep in mind (I own a 2408 MKII) is how MOTU occassionally treats its' legacy customers. I've still not gotten a straight answer out of them re: OS X ASIO drivers and I personally find it a little disheartening. I also would ask around (maybe rec.audio.pro) and see how the MOTU convertors stand up next to the RME's...yet another of RME's strong points.

I've never really heard a bad word about RME and their very well known for their uber low latency. I'd see how RME card owner's feel about their long term support for products.

I'll also say you're in for a treat with Logic on your new Mac. I've got a DP 800 and LAP 5 and it just runs like butter.

Good luck with your search.

Lee
Old 5th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Lee,

Thanks for your reply.

I've heard the same thing about RME's low latency, and their support seems to be quite good.
I do however like the features on the new mk3 from MOTU, and the onboard dsp mixing is something which rme is lacking.
My PT set does something similar and the because of that (no round trip on the pci bus for mixing/monitoring) the latency is superb (i.e unnoticable, even with lots of plugins).
I'd be using the adat inputs, so I'm not too worried about analog side of things.

The lack of OSX drivers is indeed disturbing (although RME has only got some beta stuff going at the moment)...maybe I want to switch too soon

CHeers,

JOe
heh
Old 7th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
rumored new MOTU card(1296 replacement) is to have 192 khz and 120db dynamic range. Just a rumor I saw at unicornation.com..supposedly overheard at AES.
Old 7th October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i wouldnt worry about OSX quite yet. the only time i even think about it is when i am thinking of FCP3 in OSX, of course i need an extra grand first.

as for rme vs motu... i have no idea. the 2408mk3 is 1.59ms WITH convertors... its only 10 samples w/o convertors from what i understand... so figure in your convertor latency [they ALL have that latency, even PT] +10samples.

is the mk3 out yet? i dont know... but im getting one.
Old 16th October 2002
richmondj
Hi there,

I have a Multiface running in the same Mac as a ProTools HD1.

No complaints at all, I had just the RME for a long time before I bought into digi. Their support is wicked. I can track all 18 channels into Logic at 3ms and it sounds great.

JR
Old 16th October 2002
Founder

This is a super interesting topic IMHO.

Old 16th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by richreilly
rumored new MOTU card(1296 replacement) is to have 192 khz and 120db dynamic range. Just a rumor I saw at unicornation.com..supposedly overheard at AES.
MOTU has put ads on the AES magazine about those ;they're called HD192 and in the ad they say it's the same converter as "the other HD system".
πŸ“ Reply