The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who Still Uses the Liquid Mix 16 & 32?
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Who Still Uses the Liquid Mix 16 & 32?

I'm interesting in the cats who still use this piece and who love it for "What it is" and not "What it's not".

My main interest is the compressors. I heard they are very good and sound the most analogue than others such as WAVES, Softube, FabFilter, etc.

I don't want to invest in UAD and I have the plugs listed above. And a used Liquid Mix seems affordable. Even if one used only a few great compressors.

What I want to know is this.

1. Who's still using the Liquid Mix?

2. What does it offer as far that others plugs do not?

3. Does the compressors using convolution technology REALLY sound better like convolution reverbs can? Sample technology seems to always be the warmest.

Also, is there ANY other convolution compressors on the market? So far I haven't seen any. If so please let me know.

Thanks!

SEA
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA ➑️
I'm interesting in the cats who still use this piece and who love it for "What it is" and not "What it's not".

My main interest is the compressors. I heard they are very good and sound the most analogue than others such as WAVES, Softube, FabFilter, etc.

I don't want to invest in UAD and I have the plugs listed above. And a used Liquid Mix seems affordable. Even if one used only a few great compressors.

3. Does the compressors using convolution technology REALLY sound better like convolution reverbs can? Sample technology seems to always be the warmest.

Also, is there ANY other convolution compressors on the market? So far I haven't seen any. If so please let me know.

Thanks!

SEA
The compressors you have are incredible if you properly convert dBFS to dBu so you can use the meters properly. But get a liquid mix if that's what you want, they're pretty cheap and were raved about for years!
Old 4th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx ➑️
The compressors you have are incredible if you properly convert dBFS to dBu so you can use the meters properly. But get a liquid mix if that's what you want, they're pretty cheap and were raved about for years!
Thanks for your input!

I haven't used much compression in times past since I was doing a lot of solo piano and writing. But now that I'm producing more rock/pop/jazz with vocals I know I need to "Dive into" this stuff!

So do you think I can get the same warmth using the WAVES, Softubes, and Fabfilter plugs as the Liquid Mix Compressors?

The other thing is the Liquid Mix has 40 different ones sampled from vintage gear (which is unique I think) and the same that came out of the Liquid Channel that so man people loved about that unit.

So... just thinking about "one more tool" to get me more of "That Sound"

SEA
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yes, like I said it's cheap. And it's 16/32 channels depending on which one. You can get a 16 channel for like $140. You got me interested actually for use with my notebook.

But the stuff you have is also more than capable of creating vintage and modern analog sounds on its own. The trick is to make sure you're not overloading your converters by using too much gain. Track around -20dBFS which means almost using no gain on your preamps and then you will actually hear the warmth of the plugins rather than the cold sound from overloading converters. Boost it with the plugins and fill up those meters, don't fill up your track meters in the DAW until the master buss.
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My basic rule for using analog emulation plugin compressors is to have the meter swinging around about dead center off the raw tracks, which means tracking fairly low. More or less.
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use Liquid Mix 32 on every mix. I think the compressors are amazing, they have a nice spongyness and give a lovely round thickness to individual channels and the mixbus. The emulations have a very analog flavour and thickness but without the brittle quality I often hear with my other software compressors. This, and the fact that you get so many flavours for little cost, makes it a no brainer. The Eqs are a mixed bunch, but there are some real gems which are much better than most ITB eqs. Using it just feels very different from other software.
Old 4th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis ➑️
I use Liquid Mix 32 on every mix. I think the compressors are amazing, they have a nice spongyness and give a lovely round thickness to individual channels and the mixbus. The emulations have a very analog flavour and thickness but without the brittle quality I often hear with my other software compressors. This, and the fact that you get so many flavours for little cost, makes it a no brainer. The Eqs are a mixed bunch, but there are some real gems which are much better than most ITB eqs. Using it just feels very different from other software.
Have you AB'd them with anything else like WAVES CLA-2A Fabfilter, Softubes etc?

If so, do you feel that the Liquid Mix compressors are like real thing?

Thanks!
Old 5th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Have you AB'd them with anything else like WAVES CLA-2A Fabfilter, Softubes etc?

If so, do you feel that the Liquid Mix compressors are like real thing?

Thanks!
Yes, I have the wavesCLA and softube fet, and the FF. they are all good IMO, but they are different from LM. The CLA is very upfront and crisp compared to the LM which is more pillowy. The FF is very clean, almost mathematical and great for pure gain riding compression, but is very different from the LM's warmth and roundness. The FET is a favourite and gets close to the LM but I can still hear a depth in the LM that isn't there in the FET.
I don't really know if they are like the real thing as I have no experience of using the actual hardware, but it does make my recordings sound more like recordings that I admire, to me at least.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, I have the waves CLA and softube fet, and the FF. they are all good IMO, but they are different from LM. The CLA is very upfront and crisp compared to the LM which is more pillowy. The FF is very clean, almost mathematical and great for pure gain riding compression, but is very different from the LM's warmth and roundness. The FET is a favorite and gets close to the LM but I can still hear a depth in the LM that isn't there in the FET.
I don't really know if they are like the real thing as I have no experience of using the actual hardware, but it does make my recordings sound more like recordings that I admire, to me at least.
Thanks Zyzygis for your input!

I was also wondering is there ANY other VSTi compressors out there that uses convolution technology like the Liquid Mix?

SEA
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Mine still gets occasional use. The LM does some odd things to the very high and low frequencies, you tend to lose a bit of air/sparkle on stuff but it's still got some compressors that are pretty unique. Most of them don't sound a whole lot like what they're supposed to be modelling, like the 1176, but still sound good. The distressor on nuke is great for aggressive vocals and parallel drum stuff, I've still to find anything to replace it, everything I've tried sounds tame in comparison.
no AAX which is why I've been slowly retiring it.

Bulley
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks Zyzygis for your input!

I was also wondering is there ANY other VSTi compressors out there that uses convolution technology like the Liquid Mix?

SEA
Yes, I believe the Acustica vst's are based on Nebula's convolution and have recently released some compressors. I've never used them, but they seem very highly regarded.

Last edited by Zyzygis; 5th March 2015 at 10:08 PM..
Old 6th March 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi SEA,

LM still used here, although not often. The compressors have indeed something going on that is different from a lot of plugins, be it native processing or external dsp. The odd thing about the unit, imho, is that the attack-part - soundwise - of some hardware models that I own or have used ( SSL buscomp new, GSSL, Smart, 1176 mainly ) can be very close although not at identical settings to the hardware, but the sound of the release is not realistic in comparison. Seems weird, but that has been my experience.
So for me, it still occasionally sees some use for compression when I want to use some specific attack-related pinch/smack/grab sounds that I feel other software compressors do not offer, in the process accepting the release behaviour that is different.
Although I must say since UAD's Mark II of the 1176, UBK-1 and Klanghelm DC8c2 the LM has been more put aside...

EQ-wise, some emulations really work well for me, some totally don't.

Workflow-wise, it is great to be able to select a hardware emulation per band.

The hardware-controller is very nice, to take the eyes off the big screen and the hand off the mouse.

But tbh it's almost obsolete, which is unfortunate, because the idea and concept is still very valid ( Softube Console ), only thing would be to update the emulations/tech's quality to their modern day competitors' offerings, and open up the firewire-only with USB/USB3/Tb/PCIe...heck why not even use an iPad as DSP/Control surface

Peace

Nico
Old 6th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Hi SEA,

LM still used here, although not often. The compressors have indeed something going on that is different from a lot of plugins, be it native processing or external dsp. The odd thing about the unit, imho, is that the attack-part - soundwise - of some hardware models that I own or have used ( SSL buscomp new, GSSL, Smart, 1176 mainly ) can be very close although not at identical settings to the hardware, but the sound of the release is not realistic in comparison. Seems weird, but that has been my experience.
So for me, it still occasionally sees some use for compression when I want to use some specific attack-related pinch/smack/grab sounds that I feel other software compressors do not offer, in the process accepting the release behaviour that is different.
Although I must say since UAD's Mark II of the 1176, UBK-1 and Klanghelm DC8c2 the LM has been more put aside...

EQ-wise, some emulations really work well for me, some totally don't.

Workflow-wise, it is great to be able to select a hardware emulation per band.

The hardware-controller is very nice, to take the eyes off the big screen and the hand off the mouse.

But tbh it's almost obsolete, which is unfortunate, because the idea and concept is still very valid ( Softube Console ), only thing would be to update the emulations/tech's quality to their modern day competitors' offerings, and open up the firewire-only with USB/USB3/Tb/PCIe...heck why not even use an iPad as DSP/Control surface

Peace

Nico
Thanks Nico! I really appreciate your insight and thoughts.

I really am interested in the compressors the most cause many have said they sound more analogue than anything else out there.

I can get a Liquid Mix for the price of a nice diner with my wife and an IMAX show, so I figure "What the heck?"

What OS are you using? I'm on Win7 64 and use Reaper 64. Do you know if it works well on Win7 64?

Thanks for your help!
SEA
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You're welcome

Mmmh they don't sound more analogue than anything else out there ( might have been true when LM was released and some time later on )

Besides UAD, especially the 1176 and LA2 Mark II that are amazing but that I won't mention further because you don't want to go that route, imho U-he Presswerk is a freighteningly-close-to-hardware compressor at the moment.

Regarding the nice dinner with the missess, how nice a dinner can you get the LM for ?

If it's anywhere north of 250$ I wouldn't buy it.

You could get Presswerk for half, AND still take the misses out for a cool dinner, which might grant you some karmapoints and some well deserved alone time to enjoy and be amazed by Presswerk

regards

Nico

Quote:
Thanks Nico! I really appreciate your insight and thoughts.

I really am interested in the compressors the most cause many have said they sound more analogue than anything else out there.

I can get a Liquid Mix for the price of a nice diner with my wife and an IMAX show, so I figure "What the heck?"

What OS are you using? I'm on Win7 64 and use Reaper 64. Do you know if it works well on Win7 64?

Thanks for your help!
SEA
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
SEA
Sorry forgot to answer that part : OS X 10.6.8 here ( had it since Tiger if I recall correctly and drivers have been rocksolid, no complaint here )

Had also a Win XP system in a small writing room, and idem : very stable

Don't know about Win7 64 ( check if they ported the plugin and software to 64 ?)

Best

Peace

Nico
Old 7th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
imho U-he Presswerk is a freighteningly-close-to-hardware compressor at the moment.
I'll have to check those out.

Quote:
Regarding the nice dinner with the missess, how nice a dinner can you get the LM for ?

LM 32 for $100

Quote:
You could get Presswerk for half, AND still take the misses out for a cool dinner
I'll check that out as well!

SEA
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Focusrite Tech Support said:

Quote:
Liquid Mix 3.0 is the last update that was released. The plug-in is only 32-bit, but will work in 64-bit operating systems such as Windows 7 64. I have tested it in Reaper 64 and it does work as a bridged 32-bit plug-in.
Cool! heh
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Ive used it really liked some of the emulations inside but the firewire issues and stuff was way too much hassle! So sad Focusrite didn't continued this product.The plugins quality otherwise its not up there with the recent emulations but its very useful and versatile tool!
Gladly Nebula its supported all the time so i can enjoy the non lins as well!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacnadon ➑️
Ive used it really liked some of the emulations inside but the firewire issues and stuff was way too much hassle! So sad Focusrite didn't continued this product.The plugins quality otherwise its not up there with the recent emulations but its very useful and versatile tool!
Gladly Nebula its supported all the time so i can enjoy the non lins as well!

Does Nebula have some emulations of the hardware compressors like the Liquid Mix? If so, sonically is it better?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ive used it really liked some of the emulations inside but the firewire issues and stuff was way too much hassle!
I contacted Focusrite Tech Support and they have it working fine with Win7 64 in their last 3.0 upgrade with Reaper 64 which is my primary daw.

So that's good news! Also, there's a thread on the Cakewalk forum where they have it working good as well using Win7 64.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
YThe FET is a favourite and gets close to the LM but I can still hear a depth in the LM that isn't there in the FET.
You are referring to the Softube FET plug correct?
Old 7th March 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Thanks!

SEA
I'd be enormously interested in seeing cats using the Liquid Mix too.
Mine can open doors and I thought she was clever.
I have a strong feeling that if we managed to film cats using this slightly outdated firewire device to, say, mix a Stray Cats cover, and perhaps give a suitably aloof opinion on what they think the compressors are and what they're not, we could make a million dollars.
Old 7th March 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi SEA
I've only just stopped using mine.
I really liked it but for some reason ( only the last 6 months) whenever i mixed down a song - the tracks with an LQ inserted were delayed.

I am on Cubase 64 bit Win 7 64bit.....Driver 3.0 wouldn't work with mine....freezed up mid sessions...I rolled back to a legacy driver....just tried them all till one worked. Then it was rock solid for about 2 years.

Pultec eq was my fav along with the SSL comps.
Also the PIE compressor was a fav,

Gutted it had so much latency in the end ( don't know what changed) but i also started to accumulate other plugs that were the same emulations ( waves/IKM/ etc).

If i could....I would...but it'd be over kill now with all the replacements.
Best of luck if you go with it.

Ronnie
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranxformer ➑️
I have a strong feeling that if we managed to film cats using this slightly outdated firewire device to, say, mix a Stray Cats cover, and perhaps give a suitably aloof opinion on what they think the compressors are and what they're not, we could make a million dollars.

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Does Nebula have some emulations of the hardware compressors like the Liquid Mix? If so, sonically is it better?
All of them are way better its different Nebula sounds very close to analog Liquid mix kinda reminds but it cant compete with Nebula. The only plus Liquid Mix has its that u can run 16 emulations on its dsp chip.
But if u have powerful pc or mac u can run lot from nebula as well.. Nebula has bout 70 000 emulations or so no idea its scary number!
It has more interesting emulations from the Liquid Mix on the Liquid mix u got just Milleania STT and Manley Vary Mu witch i am not sure Nebula has.But Manley Vary mu its in the makings of Acustica Audio so it will come up !
Liquid mix also has only eq and compression,nebula has verbs tape ,distortion, filters,mojo samplings etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You are referring to the Softube FET plug correct?
Yes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranxformer ➑️
Meeeoowwww!....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It has more interesting emulations from the Liquid Mix on the Liquid mix u got just Milleania STT and Manley Vary Mu witch i am not sure Nebula has.But Manley Vary mu its in the makings of Acustica Audio so it will come up !

Liquid mix also has only eq and compression,nebula has verbs tape ,distortion, filters,mojo samplings etc.
Does it have a lot of the vintage compressors like the Liquid Mix?

I have tons of reverbs and EQs. Over 3 gigs of Altiverbs impulse reverbs
so I'm interested mostly in the vintage compressors

SEA
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Does it have a lot of the vintage compressors like the Liquid Mix?

I have tons of reverbs and EQs. Over 3 gigs of Altiverbs impulse reverbs
so I'm interested mostly in the vintage compressors

SEA
Yep almost all of them both liquid mix and nebula compression its not their best side... But nebula definitely got that real tone and dimension.Liquid max don' t have non linearity modelled so its a big miss for vintage emulation...I have some of the vintage units in the Liquid mix and they sound nothing alike to be fair but still useful.
The Distressor in Liquid Mix its useful sort of not vintage compressor but does the Nuke thing well..
The other kinda interesting feature of Liquid Mix its Hybrid eq curves.
If u can find it on cheap give it a try.
If u have powerful pc or mac be prepared to wait lot during bounces dsp chips render very slow.. I have similar issue with Uad witch i don't like because my quad bounce really fast without it.
Sknote Gates Sta and Gates 39 are worth mention also if u are after vintage sound the gates its very old and rare!
Also Nebula its future proof the Liquid Mix u never know its not officially supported also fireware if u change ur system and u dont have firewall ports u have either sell it or look for adapters..

Last edited by lacnadon; 7th March 2015 at 11:38 PM..
Old 8th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yep almost all of them both liquid mix and nebula compression its not their best side... But nebula definitely got that real tone and dimension. Liquid max don' t have non linearity modeled so its a big miss for vintage emulation... I have some of the vintage units in the Liquid mix and they sound nothing alike to be fair but still useful.

The Distressor in Liquid Mix its useful sort of not vintage compressor but does the Nuke thing well.

The other kinda interesting feature of Liquid Mix its Hybrid eq curves.
If u can find it on cheap give it a try.
Thanks lacnadon! I appreciate all your input and support!

I can get a Liquid Mix 32 for $100. I have a new Dual Xeon with 12 cores and 32 bigs of ram.

It was built to Adobe specs for video production however in audio, VST and daws do not use all 12 cores and process only (of mostly) one core from what I understand.

It's processors is a 2.1 with Max Turbo of 2.6 GHz. When using plugs that are CUP hogs like the WAVES J37 tape saturation plugin, I can use it on the bus out, but if I try using it on several tracks I get pops and crackles, even at 1024 latency. Of course I am running Slates VCC on eery track (32 plus) and other plugs, but the J37 and others seems to hog one of the CPU cores.

My concern about Nebula is if I want to use like 5 to 10 of them will my computer be able to handle it?

Also, is it worth buying the Nebula 3 Pro but it will cost more that the Liquid Mix 32 which doesn't hit my processors at all.

Thanks for your help!

SEA
πŸ“ Reply