Who Still Uses the Liquid Mix 16 & 32?
Old 8th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieg ➑️
Hi SEA
I've only just stopped using mine.
I really liked it but for some reason ( only the last 6 months) whenever i mixed down a song - the tracks with an LQ inserted were delayed.

Ronnie
How did you compensate for the delay? And how did the delay sound on your final mix?

Thanks!

SEA
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA ➑️
Thanks lacnadon! I appreciate all your input and support!

I can get a Liquid Mix 32 for $100. I have a new Dual Xeon with 12 cores and 32 bigs of ram.

It was built to Adobe specs for video production however in audio, VST and daws do not use all 12 cores and process only (of mostly) one core from what I understand.

It's processors is a 2.1 with Max Turbo of 2.6 GHz. When using plugs that are CUP hogs like the WAVES J37 tape saturation plugin, I can use it on the bus out, but if I try using it on several tracks I get pops and crackles, even at 1024 latency. Of course I am running Slates VCC on eery track (32 plus) and other plugs, but the J37 and others seems to hog one of the CPU cores.

My concern about Nebula is if I want to use like 5 to 10 of them will my computer be able to handle it?

Also, is it worth buying the Nebula 3 Pro but it will cost more that the Liquid Mix 32 which doesn't hit my processors at all.

Thanks for your help!

SEA
If processor its issue its worth 100 dollars might be a good price u gain 32 emulations for this price.Not sure how many Nebula instances u can have with this configuration some samplings are bit of a hog some not so. What Daw are you using? Liquid Mix 3.0 from my memories doesn't work on Pro Tools only the old version
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis ➑️
I use Liquid Mix 32 on every mix. I think the compressors are amazing, they have a nice spongyness and give a lovely round thickness to individual channels and the mixbus. The emulations have a very analog flavour and thickness but without the brittle quality I often hear with my other software compressors. This, and the fact that you get so many flavours for little cost, makes it a no brainer. The Eqs are a mixed bunch, but there are some real gems which are much better than most ITB eqs. Using it just feels very different from other software.
How's the latency when mixing down? Do you have any issues when rendering
or when you have like 10 Liquid Mix plugs on 10 tracks?

I also like that it's not hitting my CPU like Nebula3. I have a TON of plugs going on and 1 heavy cpu VST can make the whole thing start to "pop and crackle" even at 1024 latency!

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacnadon ➑️
What Daw are you using? Liquid Mix 3.0 from my memories doesn't work on Pro Tools only the old version
I'm running Win7 64 and Reaper 64. Focusrite Tech Support said they have it working fine with Win7 64 and Reaper 64. Reaper is very cpu friendly too!

Last edited by SEA; 8th March 2015 at 01:16 PM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How did you compensate for the delay? And how did the delay sound on your final mix?

Thanks!

SEA

I'd render those track separatly and slide them forward and then do the whole Mix bounce down.
Screwed my workflow and as i got oher plug-ins seemed a chore i could eliminate so i did.
Shame as i liked the thing.
Too much choice though - all those emulations.........most were suck it and see and i got to use a couple of favourites.

I use Nebula too - some great stuff there but i mainly use it for Eq and flavour.

Ronnie
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieg ➑️
I'd render those track separatly and slide them forward and then do the whole Mix bounce down.
Screwed my workflow and as i got oher plug-ins seemed a chore i could eliminate so i did.
Shame as i liked the thing.
Too much choice though - all those emulations.........most were suck it and see and i got to use a couple of favourites.

I use Nebula too - some great stuff there but i mainly use it for Eq and flavour.

Ronnie
Thanks Ronnie! I'm still debating on the Liquid Mix 32.

I just picked up 2 Liquid Channels for a steal as my 2 main pres. They have the same compressors in them as the Liquid Mix so I thought, bring the Manley mu and other emulations in the box on other tracks using the Liquid Mix.

I mean... for $100 if I used just a few of compressors and eq out of the bunch that's all I really care about. I have Waves CLA, FabFilter, Softube, etc., so it's not like I don't have other choices.

It's just than many people have said the Liquid Mix has a warmer, more analogue and thickness to it much like the Liquid Channels compressors.

Here's some sound clips of the Manly mu and the Liquid Channels emulation of it.

https://soundcloud.com/dizmastering/focusrite-or-manley

Also a live video demonstration on you tube. It's just the audio off the video demonstration but it's still cool to get a real lie in use review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cpZ6noJcM

SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How's the latency when mixing down? Do you have any issues when rendering
or when you have like 10 Liquid Mix plugs on 10 tracks?

I also like that it's not hitting my CPU like Nebula3. I have a TON of plugs going on and 1 heavy cpu VST can make the whole thing start to "pop and crackle" even at 1024 latency!

Thanks!
I haven't noticed any problems when rendering, but I usually run at pretty high latencies, 1024 and higher, LM will not run at lower latencies on my system. I record and mix at 88.2 and usually have as many mono (8)and stereo(4)instances as possible at that rate, along with a range of other vsts and sample libraries.

Last edited by Zyzygis; 9th March 2015 at 07:59 AM..
Old 11th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
LM 16 for sale..

Ive got one and I would rather sell it for whatever I am offered than have itsit an gather dust as it is currently doing. I LOVED THIS BOX before I switched over to UA and because of workflow, I haven't touched it in like 2 years.
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
don't know why they didn't released it native !!! novation/focusrite are sometime pionneers in some concepts but they don't push it to the good spot !
i remeber it was availbale as TDM plugin , but they could have a winner going native and still proposing a dedicated HW !

Sound wise i was impressed by the quality of the comps !!! i did a death match with a duende dsp boxe at that time , i went duende because of the the stability (and the sound was also exellent) but the bang for the buck of the liquid mix was unbeatable !
Old 13th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just got my LM 32 yesterday and installing it today. I'm using the 3.0 version. I get to the part where it says "Please connect your Liquid Mix" and so I connect it.

Then it says "Next" but it won't going any further like... it's waiting for the LM 32 to been connected which it is.

I also slected the Legacy Drivers for my Firewire card so it should be fine on that end.

Tips?

Thanks!

SEA
Old 18th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just got my LM 32 yesterday and installing it today. I'm using the 3.0 version. I get to the part where it says "Please connect your Liquid Mix" and so I connect it.

Then it says "Next" but it won't going any further like... it's waiting for the LM 32 to been connected which it is.

I also slected the Legacy Drivers for my Firewire card so it should be fine on that end.

Tips?

Thanks!

SEA
Try using the previous sofware version, I found 3.0 did not play nicely with my system, I'm on mac 10.6.8.
Does the hardware light up when plugged in?

Last edited by Zyzygis; 18th March 2015 at 12:36 PM..
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are some tips here about fixing permissions etc. which might be useful.

Liquid Mix drop out/resets?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Does the hardware light up when plugged in?
Yes! Everything looks fine! It just doesn't see the Firewire.
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, I have 4 LM32 (in different studio rooms). One of them wrapped into Logic X on Mavericks. :-) Usually add it in the final mix stage due to the latency.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Tips?

Thanks!

SEA

This may be helpful

HOW TO: Getting the Liquid mix 32 to work 64bit/win 8/pt 11
Old 24th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkenney ➑️
That's only good for Win 8. In Win 7 you can't right click on the driver and load it manually (hmmm)

Tried Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b in Win 7 with no success.

I ordered a new SIIG 400 only (not 400/800) and Focusrite was on the phone with me and picked it out at Neweggs site and said it's the one that will work.

Here's the card they recommended. It's the SIIG FireWire 1394a 2-Port PCIe Card, Model NN-E20012-S2

SIIG FireWire 1394a 2-Port PCIe Card, Model NN-E20012-S2 - Newegg.com

Just put the new card in today and loaded the Legacy driver. When I got to the part of the install where it says "Please connect your Liquid Mix" and hit "Next' it just sits there and you have to shut it down via Task Manager. I'm also running Liquid Mix 3.00.

So MY thing is "How can I load the driver manually?" Win 8.1 lets you as shown from the link that dgkenney shared above. But Win 7 doesn't seen to have this option.

Focusrite took control through remote access using Team View software and said that there doesn't seem to be anything connected to my new Fire Wire card so they think the problem is a hardware issue with the Liquid Mix 32 and recommended I send it in for repairs. I will gladly do that but I want to try all other options first (understandably).

Any tips how to jump start this sucker before I install Win 8.1 on a second drive and dual boot?

Thanks!

Last edited by SEA; 25th March 2015 at 01:02 PM..
Old 25th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Who has it working on Win 7 64? If so... what service pack are you using in Win 7? I heard it could be a service pack issue.

Thanks!
Old 1st April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkenney ➑️
I just tried this on Win 8.1 but it seems like the unit I bought needs repair. I got it from one of the cats on the forum who said it worked fine on XP but couldn't get it working on Win 7 which is odd since 3.0 is made for Win 7 (hmmmm).

I sent it in to have Focusrite service at AMS look at it. I hope it's not expensive to fix.

SEA
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FINALLY got my Liquid Mix 32 working! Turns out it had a bad Fire Wire chip in it. I bought it for $100 and he just thought it wouldn't work on Win 7 64.

What must of happened is he connected it to the Fire Wire card when his PC was on and got a spike! It can happen and fry the chip!

$65 bucks to fix so no complaints!

Now it's working on Win 7 64 and Win 8.1 64 from what I hear. I did the Win 8.1 work-a-round install now I'll test it. Should be just fine.

SEA
Old 10th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
FINALLY got my Liquid Mix 32 working! Turns out it had a bad Fire Wire chip in it. I bought it for $100 and he just thought it wouldn't work on Win 7 64.

What must of happened is he connected it to the Fire Wire card when his PC was on and got a spike! It can happen and fry the chip!

$65 bucks to fix so no complaints!

Now it's working on Win 7 64 and Win 8.1 64 from what I hear. I did the Win 8.1 work-a-round install now I'll test it. Should be just fine.

SEA
Glad you got it working finally, I am sure you are gonna enjoy the range of sounds it will help you get.

There are some useful resources around, including a set of snapshots which a GS member created. I don't know if they are still linked, but give it a try.

Real Names for Focusrite Liquid Mix emus - brought to you by St. Peeder

There is also a snapshot library available from the Focusrite website which has some very nice settings for various instruments and busses.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Glad you got it working finally, I am sure you are gonna enjoy the range of sounds it will help you get.
Thanks Zyzygis! I'm checking it out now!

Quote:
There is also a snapshot library available from the Focusrite website which has some very nice settings for various instruments and busses.

Do you know the name of that library? Also, what's your favorite compressors and eqs? heh

I might start a thread "What's your favorite Liquid Mix compressors and eqs?"
Think I'll start one now

It would be great to have input for the newbs like me!

SEA
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Instead of starting a new thread entitled "What's Your Favorite Liquid Mix Compressors and EQs" I found an old thread back in 2007 entitled "your facorite liquid mix emulations" and added a new post!

Here's the link.
your favorite liquid mix emulations?

Perhaps others from this thread can chime in an add their 2 cents as well!

If need be I can always start a thread, but thought I'd start here.

SEA
Old 10th April 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I used mine until about a year ago. However I`m buying a new computer and some upgrades for the studio, and I plan to incorporate it into my workflow again.
I will buy Vienna Ensemble Pro, so I was thinking I could have all the different EQs and the 32 compressors I can open simultaneously, and keep it open so I can use it as a patch bay when I`m mixing, and I can easily send a track to a given compressor or EQ and change different emulations until I find one that fits and then I will keep it.
Not sure if it will work or not, but there`s only one way to try :P
My biggest problem with it was latency between channels, so I would have to insert it on either all channels or none at all, and many times I end up using more than 32 tracks. But that was with Pro Tools 7 M-Powered I think. It shouldn`t be a problem with today`s auto delay compensation, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagodeoz ➑️
Not sure if it will work or not, but there`s only one way to try :P
Do you mean your LM working or do you mean it working on your OS cause it will work on Win 7 and Win 8.1

Also, DO NOT connect or disconnect your LM when you PC is on! That's what the guy must of done with the one I bought for $100. He said he couldn't get it working on Win 7 but it ended up being a fried fire wire chip cause by a spike when connect to his Fire wire when your PC was on!

SEA
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you mean your LM working or do you mean it working on your OS cause it will work on Win 7 and Win 8.1

SEA
Neither :P
I will try to use it on OS X Yosemite. But what I meant about trying to see if it works was the setup I described, using it in Vienna Ensemble Pro as a patch bay.
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any tips on which compressor and EQ to use on the Master Buss with Liquid Mix?

What about a nice Tube Valve compressor?

Any favs?

Thanks!

SEA
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is this vst 64 bit or just 32?
Old 6th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin ➑️
Is this vst 64 bit or just 32?

32 bit but works in 64 bit daw. I use Reaper. Works great!
Old 28th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx ➑️
The trick is to make sure you're not overloading your converters by using too much gain. Track around -20dBFS which means almost using no gain on your preamps and then you will actually hear the warmth of the plugins rather than the cold sound from overloading converters. Boost it with the plugins and fill up those meters, don't fill up your track meters in the DAW until the master buss.
Are you talking about when you're tracking vocals or other instruments?

What about using it while mixing a track? What would be the proper level for your track?

Currently I have 2 Liquid Channels for my pres so I can use them when tracking but I only use the Liquid Mix for mixing.

Any tips would be great!
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Real Time Rendering

I was just reading a thread where you need to render your project in real time when using the Liquid Mix. However, in SOS review is said the Liquid Mix can bounce a little faster than real time.

Tips?

Thanks!

Last edited by SEA; 11th October 2016 at 12:50 AM..
πŸ“ Reply