Quantcast
IK Multimedia EQ P50A, EQ P50B & EQ P60G - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia EQ P50A, EQ P50B & EQ P60G
Old 19th September 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Looks like they made the right decision about the knobs.
Old 19th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I meant a reasonable mix like 4x u-he DIVA with EQuilibrium on each set to Zero Latency Analogue + a few soundtoys plugs and VCC + VBC on each. If you can't run that with a 2009 i7 CPU then your buffer is too small. Anyone can work with 10ms latency.
Old 19th September 2014 | Show parent
IK Multimedia

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonioesque ➑️
Looks like they made the right decision about the knobs.
Again. This knob-splitting thing is turning out to be a well-received implementation so I'd expect to see it happen again going forward too, where applicable. Thanks for noticing.
Old 19th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Loving the preamp drive on this, used 5+ instances last night & didn't notice any particularly high cpu usage.

Compared it to the Waves version & even without the preamp I preferred the IK version.

Anyway if it's a choice between cpu & sound quality I'd pick sound quality, there's already enough average eqs on the market!
Old 19th September 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
the p50a is nice. I don t know the waves or the uad version or how close it is in comparison with the hardware original but I like it. my only comparison is the Alex b black eq nebula version. there is a difference. between both but i can t say that one is better..
Old 20th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice and punchy 3d "knocks" can be made to poke out without affecting the surrounding audio, in the natural way parallel processed eq can sound (not sure if that's happening under the hood).

CPU is high and latency is not zero (adds about 3 ms at 44.1 to whatever the DAW latency was before), so will mostly get used on individual channels that get frozen.

Waves version of this EQ, at same settings, sounds shockingly similar! Waves uses less CPU and is zero latency. However, there seems to be more "punch" and "weight" somehow in the IK Multimedia version (slightly). I definitely preferred the IK version on the drum bus I was testing on.

The mid-side and 1db increments are very welcome.

Had some credits to use and so I ended up getting the P50B (for that extra band).

I'm not going to complain about the horrid T-RackS logo again (except for this).

(Though I will say they tamed the raised metal "bump" under their "plastic chrome" swag sticker logo, that I've harped on before. The metal bump is now almost gone! )
Old 28th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Btw, that thing where IK installs the demo versions of the product family, that you didn't buy, alongside the one you did, is super annoying.

I shouldn't have to manually remove plugins after a purchase.
Old 28th September 2014 | Show parent
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalcide ➑️
Btw, that thing where IK installs the demo versions of the product family, that you didn't buy, alongside the one you did, is super annoying.

I shouldn't have to manually remove plugins after a purchase.
Agree 1000%

I just recently jumped in the IK ecosystem and I'm loving the plugins but this aspect seems really pushy and gives me hesitation in not buying anymore. The community manager in this thread mentioned that UAD does it, so it's ok that they do, which I think is a poor justification to inconvenience your customers with this.

To give an example, i updated to the new CS version recently. Deleted the plugins I don't own and then opening up sessions created missing plugin errors.

Looking forward to a change in this regard with the next update.
Old 28th September 2014
IK Multimedia

🎧 10 years
I never said it was "ok because they do it" I asked a fair question about why I don't see a lot of complaining from users of their products yet it is an issue here so I respectfully ask that you do not paraphrase or put words in my mouth that I did not say (or type in this case). Also, removing them should not result in a missing plugin message unless you've instantiated a model you have not purchased (or a preset containing said model) in that project. Support can help you further if this is not the case at IK Multimedia. Musicians First.

Edit, since I was not directly quoted and was misinterpreted here is what I actually had asked:
Quote:
For market research - do other companies that do so (one starts with a "U") get a pass or is it also a turnoff?
I was merely asking if others get a pass for this same thing or does it also turn you all off. To me, from what I see it seems it is rarely mentioned - if ever - in discussions about new plugin releases from others. It just seemed a bit odd to me and I don't think it is an unfair question to ask.
Old 29th September 2014
Deleted ca98332
My apologies. You're correct, however the impression is that you're using it as a justification, despite the details of phrasing. I don't use UAD so I have no comment on that.

When will Sweetwater get these new API plugs? I've checked the past few days and still don't see them.

edit:

regarding how removing unused plugins shouldn't result in a missing plugin error if I wasn't using that plugin, that hasn't been my experience. In a session last Friday, with a bit of a time-crunch, recalling a session in Live using the EQ73 resulted in missing plugin errors. REinstalling everything was what fixed it.

The plugin sounds great, BTW
Old 29th September 2014
IK Multimedia

🎧 10 years
Thanks for letting me know. These are available in T-RackS Custom Shop so they will not be available directly via dealers. You can get the Gear Credits with which to purchase them directly from us and they are 50% off until September 30th: IK Multimedia. Musicians First. You also have the option to purchase them directly from our online web store too fi you'd like kto use regular currency but the best deal is the half-off credits at this time.
Old 29th September 2014 | Show parent
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK ➑️
Thanks for letting me know. These are available in T-RackS Custom Shop so they will not be available directly via dealers. You can get the Gear Credits with which to purchase them directly from us and they are 50% off until September 30th: IK Multimedia. Musicians First. You also have the option to purchase them directly from our online web store too fi you'd like kto use regular currency but the best deal is the half-off credits at this time.
This is a great deal, thank you for responding on a weekend. I just bought 1500 points and it's great timing because I was about to buy that space echo plug from Sweetwater.

You guys seem determined to be different but, dangit, your plugs sound great so I'll play along. If you got rid of the "install all plugins at once" I'd be very happy about that.

edit:

well that was such a good deal $0.25/$1.00 ratio with the gear points that I own almost all of the catalog now. I'd still appreciate having only the plugins installed that i own, and I think it's a better user experience. Looking forward to playing with these tomorrow.
Old 29th September 2014 | Show parent
Deleted ca98332
update:

Everytime I open this session EQ 73 is missing, even after re-installing everything. Makes it a risk to use for production, would love if this was fixed with the next update.

edit:

I can add the plugin to my session without issue, but when I open the session it says it's missing, and so it doesn't recall settings.
Old 29th September 2014
IK Multimedia

🎧 10 years
That doesn't sound like a global issue, so I'm sure support can help get it sorted out directly: IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
Old 30th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fwiw, I'm a shameless 'U' fanboy and it annoys me that they do that (although it becomes less of an issue as you license nearly all the plugins). I do feel a little more stress when I look at the list of IK plugins because the names are more similar and acronym-based. I'm more likely to pick the wrong one unless I'm concentrating on it (instead of the music) - the less familiar you are with the plugins, the more pronounced the stress and distraction (in both cases)
Old 30th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef ➑️
Fwiw, I'm a shameless 'U' fanboy and it annoys me that they do that (although it becomes less of an issue as you license nearly all the plugins). I do feel a little more stress when I look at the list of IK plugins because the names are more similar and acronym-based. I'm more likely to pick the wrong one unless I'm concentrating on it (instead of the music) - the less familiar you are with the plugins, the more pronounced the stress and distraction (in both cases)
Agreed. If I only had acouple IK plugins, it would be fairly easy, but I'm up to about eight or nine now (damn this sale!) and I have to really think..."is this the compressor you are looking for?"
Old 2nd October 2014 | Show parent
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
That doesn't sound like a global issue, so I'm sure support can help get it sorted out directly: IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
two days into a tech support ticket with you guys. So far, I've been told to uninstall and reinstall, and to check that the .dll is in the plugin folder

3 times....

unhelpful.

And then, I'm told that the plugins are "working fine" because even though they're missing on session recalls, I can add them to new sessions. So in order for me to use them, I have to finish working and render, without saving anything. That's an adventurous way to go about production work, I'd rather have the ability to save sessions.

EDIT: I'd like to point out that all this stems from me simply removing plugin spam installation of your entire collection. All the issues stemmed from me deleting the .dlls I don't own. Everyone on this thread, and other IK threads, has mentioned that they really dislike this. Not a single customer has said they like this system.

Last edited by Deleted ca98332; 2nd October 2014 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: point clarrification
Old 2nd October 2014
IK Multimedia

🎧 10 years
Edit - ticket located. I have informed our Support Manager you were not satisfied so far. I see that session files were requested and I'm sure with continued forward motion with information and files, etc like that your issue will be resolved.
Old 3rd October 2014 | Show parent
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
Edit - ticket located. I have informed our Support Manager you were not satisfied so far. I see that session files were requested and I'm sure with continued forward motion with information and files, etc like that your issue will be resolved.
I'll do my best to get that session to you guys soon but it might take until Monday.

In the meantime, I'd also like to stress that I'm really liking the sound of these tools. Using one of the new API modules on a vocal track and it sounds great.
Old 3rd October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I know this thread is for IK stuff, but the manual for the P&M plugs says that the retro eq is supposed to be based on the API 550A. Any input on how accurate that is, sound wise?
Old 20th October 2014 | Show parent
IK Multimedia

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan2000 ➑️
I'll do my best to get that session to you guys soon but it might take until Monday.

In the meantime, I'd also like to stress that I'm really liking the sound of these tools. Using one of the new API modules on a vocal track and it sounds great.
I hope there is some progress being made, please let me know.

Any other thoughts on these? They seem to be well-received like the EQ 73 and EQ 81 which is great tot hear that our devs are keeping the quality bar were it should be (or higher).
πŸ“ Reply