Quantcast
OWC or Samsung Evo SSD - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OWC or Samsung Evo SSD
Old 8th September 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
OWC or Samsung Evo SSD

Anyone have thoughts on if there is a big difference between these drives.

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE750BW 2.5" 750GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com
OWC SSD7P6G480 480GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD... in stock at OWC

Looking to use on as my audio projects drive.

thanks!
Chris
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I would go w/ the Samsung

They're well regarded at this point for reliability. Last I checked (it's been a few months) their Pro 840 was the best SSD out. The Evo wasn't far behind... and came w/ a much better price tag.

I haven't heard much about OWC. I did some quick googling and general comments seem to suggest it's got mixed performance reviews when compared w/ it's competition. However, I didn't go deep into it's reviews, so you'd want to search for benchmarks to confirm that.

I'd probably just err on the safe side and go with the Samsung. I've got the Pro 840.... it's fantastic.
Old 8th September 2014
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
For audio projects I'd use the OWC.
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd look into OWC's warranty vs. the Samsung. Their ram warranty is outstanding, as is their customer service if you have a issue. If the OWC warranty is a lot longer than the Samsung, I"d factor that in.
L.
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
i have 2 samsung 256gig 840's and a samsung 1tb 840 as well... never leave home with out at least 1.
i plan to put a 256 or a 512 internal 840 into my laptop in the next few weeks as well
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
just a/b'ing specs the owc drive isnt near as fast as my 840s...have a great warranty though limited 5 year
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm absolutely LOVING the three 1TB's, and the one 500G 840s I have been using. SUPER fast!!!
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have 2 OWC's SSD's and 2 Samsung's as well The OWC are the slowest SSD's they are terrible drives IMO. I really like the my new Crucial 1TB drive supper fast.
The Crucial's are amazing fast and cheap....
Old 11th September 2014
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
Fast, cheap, all fine. What happened to reliability...?
For a project drive the most important. Ever wondered why enterprise drives are "slow" and expensive?
Old 11th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➑️
Fast, cheap, all fine. What happened to reliability...?
For a project drive the most important. Ever wondered why enterprise drives are "slow" and expensive?
samsungs have been more than reliable and also extremely fast..
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought this recently:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CH9RNW...051_TE_3p_dp_1

It basically transformed my MacPro. Everything loads instantly. Logic is now a joy to work with.
I also did some benchmarks, writes to about 600Mb/sec and reads to about 700Mb/sec. Dead fast.

But, this is a PCIE card, not SATA. If you can afford a PCIE instead, do so. The performance gain is quite significant.
Old 11th September 2014
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'd go with the samsung 840. I use them in industrial quantities in a datacenter at work, if you downformat them to 75% capacity they are very similar in response consistency as the Intel DC3700's.... which isn't at all relevant to you as a studio user.

Put another way I've installed hundreds of the 840 pro's in a 24x7 data center environment and as far as I know we've only ever had to replace one, and that was a DOA.
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

the samsung pro is the way to go.
Old 11th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another Samsung here
Old 12th September 2014 | Show parent
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedByMrHD ➑️
Based on what experience, and which drives? 830 and 840 pro all fine (840 great for OS), EVO sample drive at most. For recording, none of these.
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Listen to the guy that build machines for paying customers and has to support those machines, not anecdotal evidence.

Slightly off-topic, but it's funny how folks are now at the point where any SSD is "slow". Christ. I don't consider myself "old" at 43, but the 5" floppies I was using when I was a young lad? They were slow. Many years later I thought I had the ****e when I was using WD Raptor 15000 RPM drives; then the first Intel SSDs came out and smoked the Raptors. That was a speed increase.

A few milliseconds difference isn't going to kill your workflow (if it does, then you're working too fast to make me comfortable, lol).

Bottom line, I'd go for reliability over speed any day in an SSD, since I don't think I'd notice the miniscule speed difference in my day-to-day tasks.
Old 12th September 2014
Lives for gear

I like OWC in general as a company, but their SSD's are over priced, and I've already seen 4 "bricked" ones which failed way before they should have. I now buy only Samsung or Corsair
Old 12th September 2014
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've given up on OWC after having 4 of their SSDs fail over a 2 year period. That was over 2 years ago, so maybe their quality control is better now, but I wasn't willing to bet, so I got 2 Samsung 1 TB 840 EVOs.
Old 13th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➑️
Based on what experience, and which drives? 830 and 840 pro all fine (840 great for OS), EVO sample drive at most. For recording, none of these.
What do you mean? As a write-to disk for recording sessions? I would think most people would use a HDD for that. My understanding is that SSD's are great for system drives and WORM (like sample libraries), but not so much for repeated and/or continuous write activity.
Old 13th September 2014
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
Correct. Realtime writing to SSD, especially multitrack, is still a challenge for some SSDs. We have done lots of tests and the results are not very positive when it comes to reliability over time.
Our systems still typically come with 2 enterprise drives in RAID 1 for exactly this reliabilty reason.
Old 25th September 2014 | Show parent
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
Samsung 840 (non-pro) and EVO issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedByMrHD ➑️
Well, Samsung confirmed our findings and are working on new firmware:
AnandTech | Samsung Acknowledges the SSD 840 EVO Read Performance Bug - Fix Is on the Way

So far for reliability.

In case anyone has this issue, i.e. read performance drops to something between 2 and 20 MB/s, it is recommended to make a backup of all data on the drive and perform a secure erase. Definitely patch the new firmware when it gets released.

For OS drives, you'd have to use an image backup application, best before the issue occurs, otherwise it will take hours to do so.

PS: my own EVO 500GB drive suffered this as well, despite only being used as a storage drive since it was installed (i.e. only copied sample libraries on it, but not streaming samples at all).
πŸ“ Reply