Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
why not amd cpu?

I have amd 1090t phenom
6core 6mb cash 3.2 ghz
With asus crosshair formula iv
12 gb ddr 3 bus 2000
Cakewalk sonar x3
I always record in 96k 24 bit nearest buffer latancy.
I mix & master around 24 track / 10 buss in 96k 24 bit with nearest buffer latancy.
When i add master plugin ( specialy brickwall) , i have a cpu pop and click problem and delay in latency it's not different for this, sufficiently.
Many people say to me, changing cpu to intel.
But news amd fx series cpu have a big number in performance. For example 8 core and 4.7 ghz per core.
What's your suggestion, for my upgrade?
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Unless you're on a tight budget Intel is the way to go. And by tight I mean you can't spend more than about $170-180 on a CPU. If your budget is that tight you might find a better performing FX at that price point. Beyond that it's all Intel.
Old 4th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Intel unless you are broke as a joke and $50 makes or breaks you.
now if you can drop a new chip in your old system than that's a different story.

for every AMD there is a intel in an equalish price point that beats that amd and usually by a good amount
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
jcschild,

What's the best Intel chip @ $180 and what are the test numbers?
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have both AMD 1090T systems and and Intel i7 4770K systems running right now in my VEP rig. Several computers networked.

The 4770 devastates the 1090T and would also devastate the newest 8 core AMD for low latency audio. All my systems have 16GB ram and SSDs. I see them side by side. daily. All my AMD systems have been moved to slave computers for VEP and all the Intels are now frontline for the DAWs. And the 4770 has now been surpassed by newer Intel CPUs.

I will always use what is best for my needs, Mac, PC, Intel, AMD..... whatever is best for that need. I used to use all AMD when they were ahead of Intel a few years back. At this point, Intel is by far the best choice for audio. I would love to see AMD rebound just to keep Intel honest.
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just increase buffer when mixing/mastering, it makes alot of difference, i bet you wont have to upgrade your system. Low latency takes alot of resources and you dont need low latency when mixing/mastering.
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would say even quad core i5 4690K is a reasonable 'upgrade' from AMD hexcore 1090T. It's around $230, and if you find not enough, you can go i7 4790K, which is $100 more than i5 4690K.

Of course, increasing buffer is also a sensible suggestion, worth trying first (b/c it cost no money).
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Which audio interface are you using and where is your latency set exactly. It's possible you may be running into issues with your interface's low latency performance as the 1090T should have enough power for your track count and sample/bit rate. You should first try increasing your buffer (as a couple of people have already suggested) or try a different audio interface. Both options will be cheaper than springing for a new computer.

However, if you're looking to upgrade your computer, I must advise you that AMD's core count is misleading. Their 8-core chips only have 4 floating point processing units (while your 1090T has 6 floating point processing units). You don't stand to gain much by going with an AMD FX processor over your Phenom. In fact, jschild's benchmark of an AMD FX-8350 is darn near identical to what I got on my overclocked 5-core Phenom 960T. It may be more cost effective to overclock your current chip (if you haven't already done so) than move to a new AMD.

Last edited by Mege; 5th September 2014 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: added more chip information for my Phenom
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another vote for increasing your buffer first, what you have should meet your needs.
I'm using a 1090T, record at 96/32, lots of tracks and plugs, at 8-10 ms latency. And that's with an old Emu 1820M.
Old 5th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild ➑️
Intel unless you are broke as a joke and $50 makes or breaks you.
now if you can drop a new chip in your old system than that's a different story.

for every AMD there is a intel in an equalish price point that beats that amd and usually by a good amount
By comparison at least, that makes perfect logical sense & a great way of looking at it. That's not to say that an AMD machine can't do everything that's needed for some. And if an AMD can be bought cheaply enough ...

My 1st DAW build was a single core AMD @1.6 Ghz...but when I built an intel machine with a quad core @2.5Ghz, it blew the old one away. 4 years later I fired up my old single core AMD machine...I was surprised that it could run many of my current projects from my newer quad core Intel machine....at a larger 'hit' of course though. Funny, cause' I had written off that old AMD machine as useless ... in my mind.

All that said, I'm sticking with Intel
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
B/c AMD suuuuuuuucks.

Sike they don't suck.... but the performance improvement is real.
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanstudio ➑️
But news amd fx series cpu have a big number in performance. For example 8 core and 4.7 ghz per core.
I'll just address this point: this is a bit like saying "I should use a Porsche for moving instead of a truck, it's much faster!".
The AMD chips basically do less per cycle than an Intel, so even though they are clocked higher they still perform lower.
Also, they are not truly 8 cores (I forget the technicalities, but iirc for floating point operation, you only get 4 effective cores).

Number of cores and clock are good indicator of performance only within a specific CPU architecture (like comparing two AMD FX CPUs), but they mean nothing when comparing different designs.

Intel chips are just really hard to be within the current generation.
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
jschild's benchmark of an AMD FX-8350 (linked in my post above) included numbers from an FX-8350 overclocked to 4.8GHz. This is basically the same chip as AMD's top-of-the-line 4.7GHz FX-9590. The numbers still weren't much better than what I got from my Phenom 960T (also linked in my post above).
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My first build was an AMD. My brother paid $50 or so more for his comparable Intel processor - his setup smoked mine in every respect - it was actually a huge disappointment since I figured Intel was just an overpriced and overhyped version of the same thing amd was producing. Supporting the underdog ended being a huge mistake.

I can't really think of any reason to buy an Amd processor, with the exception of not being able to afford an Intel.
Old 7th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thanks people.
Your posts change my mind.
Now, I like mac pro, but my software sonar x3 is just for windows.
You think costum pc is good like mac or mac os is affective in better quality!?
Old 7th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I would suggest building a new PC.. If you can salvage any of the parts from your current PC build, do so (unsure of the socket that your current motherboard is using, but you may be able to get a new CPU and be done with it).

Overall it will be less of a cash outlay than buying a Mac, and you already own the software you like to use.
Old 7th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks people.
Your posts change my mind.
Now, I like mac pro, but my software sonar x3 is just for windows.
You think costum pc is good like mac or mac os is affective in better quality!?
Build a PC if performance is your concern. And if you use Sonar and it's only for Windows why switch both?
Old 7th September 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I like sonar but sometimes i think mac sound quality is different or no!?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Makes no difference at all. The operating system has nothing to do with sound quality.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's right. NO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No, that would never have anything to do with sound quality.

You're happy with SONAR so stay with SONAR.

Google Custom music PC. Good luck
πŸ“ Reply