The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface
Old 5th June 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker ➡️
That is correct. Sorry for the confusion guys. I have two 24Ais, not 16A.
No worries, I was just puzzled and wondering if I was missing something. That’s a lot of inputs! After a certain number do folks decide to switch over to a patch panel to save money?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKahuna ➡️
No worries, I was just puzzled and wondering if I was missing something. That’s a lot of inputs! After a certain number do folks decide to switch over to a patch panel to save money?
I probably should look into a patch bay. I just like having everything up, running, and cabled.

Of course, what I should really do is quit buying synths!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey people, maybe someone can help me with a question I have:

My plan was to use 2x 828es simultaneously.
So if I understand that correctly, I can simply connect them directly with an ethernet cable on their AVB ports, and the I connect one of them via USB/TB to my computer. Right?

Are there any drawbacks doing this? will there be added latency? Or is it like one big 828es just with doubled IO?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ99 ➡️
Hey people, maybe someone can help me with a question I have:

So if I understand that correctly, I can simply connect them directly with an ethernet cable on their AVB ports, and the I connect one of them via USB/TB to my computer. Right?

Are there any drawbacks doing this? will there be added latency? Or is it like one big 828es just with doubled IO?
Yeah
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes. There's some configuration to do in terms of routing audio between the two, but once you've got things set up it's just as you describe.

Quote:
Added latency is minimal at about 0.6ms. The only real drawback to the direct AVB connection is then you can't plug either of them into a wireless network, so you can't use a tablet for the mixer or let individuals control their headphone mixes with their phones. You still get the full mixing UI on the connected computer, though, so it might not be a big deal for you.

In order to connect them via AVB and a network you need an AVB switch as well, and you could add that at any time. [EDIT: see subsequent response below which suggests that this isn't the case.]
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia ➡️
Yes. There's some configuration to do in terms of routing audio between the two, but once you've got things set up it's just as you describe. Added latency is minimal at about 0.6ms.
Awesome, good to know. Thanks!

Quote:
The only real drawback to the direct AVB connection is then you can't plug either of them into a wireless network, so you can't use a tablet for the mixer or let individuals control their headphone mixes with their phones. You still get the full mixing UI on the connected computer, though, so it might not be a big deal for you.

In order to connect them via AVB and a network you need an AVB switch as well, and you could add that at any time.
Okay, good to know as well.
Thanks for the answer!

PS: So I guess it is also no problem to add an additional ADAT device to one of both interfaces after having them connected directly via AVB, if needed?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
PS: So I guess it is also no problem to add an additional ADAT device to one of both interfaces after having them connected directly via AVB, if needed?
No problem, just another round of figuring out how you want to route audio through MotU's matrix. It's intimidating at first but makes a ton of sense once you learn how it works. I believe ADAT I/O adds about a millisecond of latency but it has been a while since I looked up the details.
Gear Head
Quote:
The only real drawback to the direct AVB connection is then you can't plug either of them into a wireless network, so you can't use a tablet for the mixer or let individuals control their headphone mixes with their phones.
I’ve got a 828es and a 16a connected together via an Ethernet cable. The 828es is connected via Thunderbolt to my Mac. I can still use the MOTU app on my iphone to control both of the MOTU devices and use the mixer on it
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinC ➡️
I’ve got a 828es and a 16a connected together via an Ethernet cable. The 828es is connected via Thunderbolt to my Mac. I can still use the MOTU app on my iphone to control both of the MOTU devices and use the mixer on it
Oh? That's a pleasant surprise. It's either something I overlooked when I first got mine, or something they've added to the software suite at some point. Either way, I stand corrected and will have to check out how they're accomplishing that.
Old 6th June 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Nice. So you type in the IP adress of your MAC and a specific port I guess and you then are able to access to the interface through thunderbolt?

Btw. I have another question about the 828es. It has 2 Send outputs on the back. Are these hardwired to input 1 and 2 or can the be rerouted to other inputs on the back?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nice. So you type in the IP adress of your MAC and a specific port I guess and you then are able to access to the interface through thunderbolt?

Btw. I have another question about the 828es. It has 2 Send outputs on the back. Are these hardwired to input 1 and 2 or can the be rerouted to other inputs on the back?
The sends are pre-A/D conversion and are hardwired from front panel inputs/mic pres 1 and 2, respectively.
Hi. Sorry havnt followed the thread. My Metric Halo broke down (and no spare parts due to the damn pandemic…) and i’m looking for an m1 native replacement.
Could the motu 8m do the trick? How low RTL can you get over tb?
Im just assuming the preamps and converters is good enough on this level?
Anyone got any experience in repairing a motu unit? Is that something they even offer?

Take care everyone
Niclas
Gear Head
Quote:
Just installed the MOTU discovery software on the Mac, the MOTU software on my iPad and it just works.
Old 7th June 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Just installed the MOTU discovery software on the Mac, the MOTU software on my iPad and it just works.
Nice. I suspect I was remembering wanting to connect when the interface was acting as a standalone mixer, which still isn't possible. It's great to know that when connected to a computer with the full driver suite installed they act to advertise the interface over the network for mobile devices. That's pretty slick.
Old 30th June 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMarkus ➡️
The sends are pre-A/D conversion and are hardwired from front panel inputs/mic pres 1 and 2, respectively.
Do you have to use the internal mic pres in order to use the sends, or can you also feed input 1-2 a line signal, and on the send there comes out a line signal as well?

The Idea would be to connect a

mic -> external preamp -> Input 1 on the 828es (line signal mode/internal mic pre bypassed) -> send 1 goes directly to monitor mix of the singer

Is this possible?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Do you have to use the internal mic pres in order to use the sends, or can you also feed input 1-2 a line signal, and on the send there comes out a line signal as well?

The Idea would be to connect a

mic -> external preamp -> Input 1 on the 828es (line signal mode/internal mic pre bypassed) -> send 1 goes directly to monitor mix of the singer

Is this possible?
Checking the manual, I don't see an option to bypass Mic Pre 1 and 2; however, they reportedly can accept line level signal.

Note that you can set up multiple monitor mixes within the built in mixer, and you could use any of the line ins to connect an outboard mic pre, and route that signal to any output with nominal latency (only the internal mixer's latency, not passing thru your DAW).

I use the onboard mixer all the time; individual performers can control their mixes from any phone or tablet on the local network.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMarkus ➡️
Checking the manual, I don't see an option to bypass Mic Pre 1 and 2; however, they reportedly can accept line level signal.

Note that you can set up multiple monitor mixes within the built in mixer, and you could use any of the line ins to connect an outboard mic pre, and route that signal to any output with nominal latency (only the internal mixer's latency, not passing thru your DAW).

I use the onboard mixer all the time; individual performers can control their mixes from any phone or tablet on the local network.
I found this information just now, apparently it switches to Line level input if you plug in a TRS instead of a XLR cable:

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70216
Old 11th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niclas.G ➡️
Hi. Sorry havnt followed the thread. My Metric Halo broke down (and no spare parts due to the damn pandemic…) and i’m looking for an m1 native replacement.
Could the motu 8m do the trick? How low RTL can you get over tb?
Im just assuming the preamps and converters is good enough on this level?
Anyone got any experience in repairing a motu unit? Is that something they even offer?

Take care everyone
Niclas
Sorry about your Metric Halo breaking down. I also have a long in the tooth 2882 2D that needs some repairing but haven't sent it in yet (still able to use most of the outputs/inputs though thankfully).

I also have two 8M working with the MH. Awesome. Extremely surprised in the conversion of the 8M. I've done lots of loopback tests and blind testing on conversion with MH, 8M, Mytek, Hilo, Audient, Antelope, Prism, etc. and you'll dig the new AVB MOTU line and won't be disappointed, even if you have a MH ULN or LIO 3D I'm betting. Amazing how good conversion is today.

Preamps are good for almost any task you throw at them. Clean and clear. I haven't measured RTL on TB right now (I'm sure you can find it somewhere here), but I'm sure it's tiny. I'm still using USB and it's definitely easy to do do punch-ins.

Never had to fix any MOTU gear before, but I've heard nothing but good things and they are responsive. I had an email returned same day on a question I had once at least. Not MH response quickness (or precise expertise), but who is faster/more detailed than MH with customer service anyway?

Get the 8M and enjoy
Old 12th July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Have the 828es now and am very happy so far.
RTL is about 1,6ms (USB on Windows) with buffer size on 32, not sure if it is even lower once I switch to TB? that would be insane.
And that on a big project with +100 tracks in Cubase. Could even go down to a buffer of 16 as long as I don't use any heavy VSTi. I am really flashed.

Just one thing I noticed, was that even if the inputs 1+2 are nearly as clean as the other ones when feeding them a line signal via TRS cables, the PAD always distorts the signal and acts like a clipper. And when feeding them a line signal you have to use the PAD, because otherwise the signal will always be too loud (about 16dB louder than the other inputs on the back).

Still looking for a way to remove this 16 dB boost, which probably comes from the preamps?
Old 12th July 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchesAndDials ➡️
Sorry about your Metric Halo breaking down. I also have a long in the tooth 2882 2D that needs some repairing but haven't sent it in yet (still able to use most of the outputs/inputs though thankfully).

I also have two 8M working with the MH. Awesome. Extremely surprised in the conversion of the 8M. I've done lots of loopback tests and blind testing on conversion with MH, 8M, Mytek, Hilo, Audient, Antelope, Prism, etc. and you'll dig the new AVB MOTU line and won't be disappointed, even if you have a MH ULN or LIO 3D I'm betting. Amazing how good conversion is today.

Preamps are good for almost any task you throw at them. Clean and clear. I haven't measured RTL on TB right now (I'm sure you can find it somewhere here), but I'm sure it's tiny. I'm still using USB and it's definitely easy to do do punch-ins.

Never had to fix any MOTU gear before, but I've heard nothing but good things and they are responsive. I had an email returned same day on a question I had once at least. Not MH response quickness (or precise expertise), but who is faster/more detailed than MH with customer service anyway?

Get the 8M and enjoy
Thanks for answering. I didnt want to stop working and went with a RME ufx ii instead. Just my gut feeling.
Old 13th September 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Hey all, perhaps this is a stupid question, so apologies. I was using a Monitor 8, but upgraded to a 16a.

I'm trying to get it to be the interface between by 16ch board and my Computer. my board will be used only for mixing (I have other preamps for recording). I want to run 16 analog out's to the 16 inputs of the baord and then sent the stereo output of the board back to Protools to recording the bounce. Simple, right? But I can't seem to get the MOTU mix software and the PT i/o to play nice. How do I route the mix bus from the baord back to PT so that it will record while I'm playing back from PT as well? Lag doesn't matter since the mixdown will be muted of course. Signal is passing, I can see it in the routing tab, and when I stop playback, the reverb tails show up on the record-enable stereo PT track. I used to be able to do this fine with the Monitor8, not sure what I changed...

Bonus question: What's the best way to route my inputs so that inputs 1-8 will be played back directly through outputs 1-8, WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY givine me the playback from Protools that comes out of 1-8? I could never figure this out with my Monitor8--when I recorded on inputs 1-2, I just disabled whatever was playing back on 1-2, which was sometimes fine but sometimes annoying. i'd rather not have to do that.

THANKS GENIUSES! (genii?)
Old 14th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfryellis ➡️
Hey all, perhaps this is a stupid question, so apologies.
Not at all...

Quote:
I want to run 16 analog out's to the 16 inputs of the baord and then sent the stereo output of the board back to Protools to recording the bounce. Simple, right? But I can't seem to get the MOTU mix software and the PT i/o to play nice. How do I route the mix bus from the baord back to PT so that it will record while I'm playing back from PT as well? Lag doesn't matter since the mixdown will be muted of course. Signal is passing, I can see it in the routing tab, and when I stop playback, the reverb tails show up on the record-enable stereo PT track. I used to be able to do this fine with the Monitor8, not sure what I changed...
I'm not in front of PT right now and I might remember this incorrectly, but if you place a track into just "record" mode in PT it will pass input-audio while transport is stopped but it will not pass inut-audio if you press play. In order to 'always' hear what's coming into that channel you have to enable input monitoring, which is the button to the left of record and the one that turns green when you enable it.

Keep in mind that you get either/or: With it disabled you won't hear the input when you press play, but with it enabled you won't hear recorded audio if you press play.

Reading your question it looks as if the above is the problem. It would explain why you hear the tail of a reverb when you press "stop".

Quote:
Bonus question: What's the best way to route my inputs so that inputs 1-8 will be played back directly through outputs 1-8, WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY givine me the playback from Protools that comes out of 1-8? I could never figure this out with my Monitor8--when I recorded on inputs 1-2, I just disabled whatever was playing back on 1-2, which was sometimes fine but sometimes annoying. i'd rather not have to do that.

THANKS GENIUSES! (genii?)
Not 100% sure what you need to do or what the problem is.

Generally you should be able to just route anything you want to listen to to any target output. You can have multiple sources go to the same output(s).

The first reply in this post still applies so that if your inputs are on regular audio tracks that you want to record on you will only hear incoming audio if you're stopped or if you enable input monitoring.

Another way of ensuring you can always hear the input is to use AUXES and Buses. You can create an AUX track for each input, and set the output for each AUX to the output you want. In addition to that you can use a send on each track to a dedicated bus and you can then choose that bus as an input for a 'record track' - meaning an audio track that has that bus input and you use that audio track to record onto. If you do this of course you'll end up "doubling" the signal if you just press record on the audio track so you'd want to probably mute the audio track or mute the AUX (which in that case has to have the send pre-fader).

Try the above and if you still have questions you should probably ask in the PT section or Avid's forum since the questions seem PT-specific, not really relating to the MOTU...

.... unless I'm wrong of course
Old 14th September 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
Not at all...

I'm not in front of PT right now and I might remember this incorrectly, but if you place a track into just "record" mode in PT it will pass input-audio while transport is stopped but it will not pass inut-audio if you press play. In order to 'always' hear what's coming into that channel you have to enable input monitoring, which is the button to the left of record and the one that turns green when you enable it.

Keep in mind that you get either/or: With it disabled you won't hear the input when you press play, but with it enabled you won't hear recorded audio if you press play.

Reading your question it looks as if the above is the problem. It would explain why you hear the tail of a reverb when you press "stop".

Not 100% sure what you need to do or what the problem is.

Generally you should be able to just route anything you want to listen to to any target output. You can have multiple sources go to the same output(s).

The first reply in this post still applies so that if your inputs are on regular audio tracks that you want to record on you will only hear incoming audio if you're stopped or if you enable input monitoring.

Another way of ensuring you can always hear the input is to use AUXES and Buses. You can create an AUX track for each input, and set the output for each AUX to the output you want. In addition to that you can use a send on each track to a dedicated bus and you can then choose that bus as an input for a 'record track' - meaning an audio track that has that bus input and you use that audio track to record onto. If you do this of course you'll end up "doubling" the signal if you just press record on the audio track so you'd want to probably mute the audio track or mute the AUX (which in that case has to have the send pre-fader).

Try the above and if you still have questions you should probably ask in the PT section or Avid's forum since the questions seem PT-specific, not really relating to the MOTU...

.... unless I'm wrong of course
Thanks Mattias! I was lying in bed last night awake wondering if the simple monitoring trick was the step I forgot, and I *think* you're totally right. haven't had a chance to test that yet but I will tonight. THANK YOU!

As far as routing on the MOTU side, I think you can send an input to multiple outputs but you CAN'T send multiple inputs to a single output? For instance, I want "analog input 1" and the "from computer 1" to both go to "analog output 1" but when I try to connect the "from computer" input, it disconnects the analog 1 input.

I believe the solution, which I haven't tried, is to send all the analog inputs to the MOTU mixer, route them to an aux send, and then send that aux send to the analog outputs. It confuses me because it looks like I'm not direct monitoring (anlog input straight to analog output), but instead running analog input to mixer to aux to analog output...but I believe that's the way. I will report back!
Old 15th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks Mattias! I was lying in bed last night awake wondering if the simple monitoring trick was the step I forgot, and I *think* you're totally right. haven't had a chance to test that yet but I will tonight. THANK YOU!

As far as routing on the MOTU side, I think you can send an input to multiple outputs but you CAN'T send multiple inputs to a single output? For instance, I want "analog input 1" and the "from computer 1" to both go to "analog output 1" but when I try to connect the "from computer" input, it disconnects the analog 1 input.

I believe the solution, which I haven't tried, is to send all the analog inputs to the MOTU mixer, route them to an aux send, and then send that aux send to the analog outputs. It confuses me because it looks like I'm not direct monitoring (anlog input straight to analog output), but instead running analog input to mixer to aux to analog output...but I believe that's the way. I will report back!
Yes, you must sum thru the Mixer.
Old 4 weeks ago

🎧 10 years
Sorry to bump an old thread, but trying to see if there’s any word on Motu releasing a Thunderbolt 3 version of the 16A. It seems like the perfect solution for me other than being TB2.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickSnareHat ➡️
Sorry to bump an old thread, but trying to see if there’s any word on Motu releasing a Thunderbolt 3 version of the 16A. It seems like the perfect solution for me other than being TB2.
I haven't seen any documented latency advantages to Thunderbolt 3 (or 4) over Thunderbolt 2. Just bandwidth, which is already overkill for audio purposes. I doubt MotU sees a pressing need to change, so I expect the decision will be driven more by part availability and cost than anything. I would imagine supply chain issues are an ongoing concern for virtually all low-volume specialist hardware like pro audio gear.
cbm
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I haven't seen any documented latency advantages to Thunderbolt 3 (or 4) over Thunderbolt 2. Just bandwidth, which is already overkill for audio purposes.
I agree bandwidth is not a compelling reason for MOTU to change, but compatibility with the current crop of computers is pretty compelling. Having to use the TB3(&4) to TB2 dongle is a PITA. There are lots of computers with TB4 these days, and I would think MOTU would want to be able to work with them easily.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm ➡️
I agree bandwidth is not a compelling reason for MOTU to change, but compatibility with the current crop of computers is pretty compelling. Having to use the TB3(&4) to TB2 dongle is a PITA. There are lots of computers with TB4 these days, and I would think MOTU would want to be able to work with them easily.
I bought the dongle for my 16A. It took me about 3 minutes on the web to order it on Amazon. Within a day or two it was in my mail box. Took maybe another 3 minutes to connect.

I don't see what isn't easy about it, and it certainly isn't a pain in the ass. Granted, if you're talking about a small mobile rig then I get it. But if not.. no big deal.
cbm
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
I bought the dongle for my 16A. It took me about 3 minutes on the web to order it on Amazon. Within a day or two it was in my mail box. Took maybe another 3 minutes to connect.

I don't see what isn't easy about it, and it certainly isn't a pain in the ass. Granted, if you're talking about a small mobile rig then I get it. But if not.. no big deal.
I have the adaptor, as well. Maybe PITA is overstating it, but It adds cost, and it is not as nice as a simple cable. It's an extra hoop for a new MOTU user to jump through.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm ➡️
I have the adaptor, as well. Maybe PITA is overstating it, but It adds cost, and it is not as nice as a simple cable. It's an extra hoop for a new MOTU user to jump through.
I agree. I too would prefer tb4.
📝 Reply