The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4291
Gear Guru
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
But are you using Windows? Windows Users requires the Mastering Suite from Dolby. The Production Suite is only offered on MacOS. The Dolby Atmos Mastering suite requires a separate hardware machine which is essentially like a gaint hardware accelerator that takes the load off of your main computer. Please read the official documents from the Dolby website. That's where I gotten the exact information from.
Yes, I'm on Windows. In Nuendo you can mix in Atmos up to 7.1.4 and output an .ADM file for delivery. You don't need the other stuff.

If you read that on the Dolby website then you should revisit it because it changed last year or whenever it was. Or you can look up the Nuendo section for Atmos in version 11.
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4292
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
Yes, I'm on Windows. In Nuendo you can mix in Atmos up to 7.1.4 and output an .ADM file for delivery. You don't need the other stuff.

If you read that on the Dolby website then you should revisit it because it changed last year or whenever it was. Or you can look up the Nuendo section for Atmos in version 11.
Ok but what about Protools users because Protools is the dominated DAW in recording studios and Post Production? I read you have to purchase the Mastering Production Suite that requires the hardware rendering machine. The Production Suite yes and no.

And have you rendered and published any Atmos mixes because there needs to be some kind of rendering to properly encode the master files for playback on customer electronics and home theater?

The guy in the YouTube video is clearly using a MOTU MADI interface with a separate rendering Mac machine that's using the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite and he doesn't mix for Cinema. EDM Producer Deadmau5 is also using a separate rendering machine as well for Ableton Live. None of them do film post production as they mix only music.
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4293
Gear Guru
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
Ok but what about Protools users because Protools is the dominated DAW in recording studios and Post Production? I read you have to purchase the Mastering Production Suite that requires the hardware rendering machine. The Production Suite yes and no.
I wasn't talking about Pro Tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
And have you rendered and published any Atmos mixes because there needs to be some kind of rendering to properly encode the master files for playback on customer electronics and home theater?
The people creating the audio mix aren't going to be the ones creating a final video file, and in post production we don't create just an audio file of course. So I'd expect someone else to do the final encode for post.

As for other delivery destinations you should look it up.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/mediacon...-encoding.html

https://dolbyatmosmixes.com/
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4294
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
I wasn't talking about Pro Tools.



The people creating the audio mix aren't going to be the ones creating a final video file, and in post production we don't create just an audio file of course. So I'd expect someone else to do the final encode for post.

As for other delivery destinations you should look it up.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/mediacon...-encoding.html

https://dolbyatmosmixes.com/
Well Protools is the dominate DAW in the music industry among professional Mixing Engineers since not everyone uses Nuendo. Nuendo is mostly used in the Post Production industry as it not really known in Music Production which is what Cubase is for. We are talking about mixing music that's related to music production not movie sound tracks or television post production which is why I mentioned the Rendering machine for. My original post was talking about Protools hense my Illustration as you are drifting off topic into Post Production which is a different industry.

The linked document is talking about some thing totally different which doesn't pertain to mixing and rendering music in Atmos as it relates to audio/visual Post Production and encoding Dolby Digital Plus to Atoms. I'm not sure if you understand how all this stuff works for Music Production or what I'm talking about from my original post. I litterly spent over 2 hours of research on this along with all the documentation from the official Dolby website.

Deadmau5 an EDM Producer and the guy in the linked YouTube video wouldn't be using the RMU Rendering machine for nothing. Those videos are fairly recent. The Youtube video I posted is only 4 weeks old Gabriel that uses a MADI interface and a separate Rendering machine for his Protools rig. He doesn't do Post Production or any audio/visual stuff at all just general music mixing for people's music that want an immersive audio listening experience. The vast majority of people in this thread that uses MOTU hardware and software are Producers, Musicians, Composers and Engineers not, Post Production which is for a whole different thread.
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4295
Gear Guru
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
Well Protools is the dominate DAW in the music industry among professional Mixing Engineers since not everyone uses Nuendo. Nuendo is mostly used in the Post Production industry as it not really known in Music Production which is what Cubase is for. We are talking about mixing music that's related to music production not movie sound tracks or television post production which is why I mentioned the Rendering machine for. My original post was talking about Protools hense my Illustration as you are drifting off topic into Post Production which is a different industry.
The text in your post wasn't clear at all that you were talking about Pro Tools only. It seemed very general in nature. That's why I added what I added. For the sake of completeness.

And on that note I'll just mention that those who are on Cubase would probably do much, much better to upgrade to Nuendo to do Atmos (if needed) than to switch over to Pro Tools and jumping through more hoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
The linked document is talking about some thing totally different which doesn't pertain to mixing music in Atmos as it relates to audio/visual Post Production and encoding Dolby Digital Plus to Atoms .
You brought up encoding for consumer formats and I provided you with two sources that talk about accepting ADM for further processing. In other words rather than being required to get the software/hardware you talked about earlier you can output .ADM in Nuendo and have others convert it further. Including music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
I'm not sure if you understand how all this stuff works or what I'm talking about from my original post.
How am I not understanding how this works exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
I spent litterly spent over 2 hours of research on this along with all the documentation from the official Dolby website.
Well perhaps it's you who need to spend some more time on this. I saw other posts of yours on this and you make the same blanket statement without qualifying that it's a specific use case scenario it applies to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
Deadmau5 an EDM Producer or the guy in the YouTube video wouldn't be using the RMU Rendering machine for nothing. Those videos are fairly recent.
So?
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4296
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
The text in your post wasn't clear at all that you were talking about Pro Tools only. It seemed very general in nature. That's why I added what I added. For the sake of completeness.

And on that note I'll just mention that those who are on Cubase would probably do much, much better to upgrade to Nuendo to do Atmos (if needed) than to switch over to Pro Tools and jumping through more hoops.



You brought up encoding for consumer formats and I provided you with two sources that talk about accepting ADM for further processing. In other words rather than being required to get the software/hardware you talked about earlier you can output .ADM in Nuendo and have others convert it further. Including music.



How am I not understanding how this works exactly?



Well perhaps it's you who need to spend some more time on this. I saw other posts of yours on this and you make the same blanket statement without qualifying that it's a specific use case scenario it applies to.



So?

Did you not see my Protools Illustration that I drew up? My whole post was based around a Protools rig including the video I posted. Protools is required if you want to mix in Atmos for music production esp for Albums and EPs. The Weeknds latest album was mixed in Dolby Atmos as more and more recording artists are requesting Immersive Audio mixes aside from stereo. Logic and Ableton does work but not natively supported. I already knew about Nuendo long before I posted but that's for a whole different industry since most people that are new and interested in Atmos mixing don't work in the post production industry esp in this thread that you are replying which is irreverent to most people in this thread. The links you are providing doesn't relate to music production. You keep talking about Post Production stuff in this thread.


This linked page justifies what I've said earlier. Note that the Dolby Atmos Production Suite is only available on the macOS platform. If you are on a Windows platform then you need to invest in the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suitetogehther with an additional computer. https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...ware-do-i-need


https://professional.dolby.com/conte...ent-creators/2

Here's the Diagram from the official Dolby website. Looks very similar to mine right?
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4297
Gear Guru
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
Protools is required if you want to mix in Atmos for music production
No it isn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
I already knew about Nuendo long before I posted but that's for a whole different industry since most people that are new and interested in Atmos mixing don't work in the post production industry
Nuendo is not just for audio post! It has all the music functions of Cubase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
The links you are providing doesn't relate to music production. You keep talking about Post Production stuff in this thread.
It literally reads: "We deliver a BWAV ADM file and a Stereo WAV file which contains the spatial information Apple needs to provide Apple Music Spatial Audio files for your music."

That's in the link from https://dolbyatmosmixes.com/.

The point is that you can absolutely deliver an ADM file output from Nuendo without an RMU etc and have that become a consumer playable music experience - in this case for Apple Music - when Apple converts it.

You create the ADM in Nuendo natively, send it to Apple, Apple makes the required conversions for consumer consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
This linked Artist justifies what I've said earlier. Note that the Dolby Atmos Production Suite is only available on the macOS platform. If you are on a Windows platform then you need to invest in the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suitetogehther with an additional computer. https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...ware-do-i-need
That article is over a year old. Things have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
https://professional.dolby.com/conte...ent-creators/2

Here's the Diagram from the official Dolby website. Looks very similar to mine right?
And it is the Dolby Atmos Renderer that is internal in Nuendo itself. It's a software renderer function embedded in Nuendo. How many times does it have to be clarified?

1. You don't need Pro Tools to mix music for Atmos.
2. You don't need an RMU etc to work in / render out Atmos in Nuendo.
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4298
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
No it isn't!



Nuendo is not just for audio post! It has all the music functions of Cubase.



It literally reads: "We deliver a BWAV ADM file and a Stereo WAV file which contains the spatial information Apple needs to provide Apple Music Spatial Audio files for your music."

That's in the link from https://dolbyatmosmixes.com/.

The point is that you can absolutely deliver an ADM file output from Nuendo without an RMU etc and have that become a consumer playable music experience - in this case for Apple Music - when Apple converts it.

You create the ADM in Nuendo natively, send it to Apple, Apple makes the required conversions for consumer consumption.



That article is over a year old. Things have changed.



And it is the Dolby Atmos Renderer that is internal in Nuendo itself. It's a software renderer function embedded in Nuendo. How many times does it have to be clarified?

1. You don't need Pro Tools to mix music for Atmos.
2. You don't need an RMU etc to work in / render out Atmos in Nuendo.

You seem lost man. The Renderer is not an internal software. That's the whole package deal of the Atmos Dolby Mastering suite I was talking about the whole time which requires a dedicated machine as the renderer that takes the load of the DAW machine esp if you use Protools. That's what the MADI interface is for. Read the documents. Its very different from the Dolby Production suite which is MacOS only. The illustration from the Dolby website proves that. Just look at the diagram. Majority of the videos on Youtube of people that runs an Atmos setup have a dedicated hardware machine. The vast majority of Mixing Engineers in the Music Industry use Protools which is an industry standard in Commercial studios and mixing rooms. Nuendo is geared towards the Post Production industry as you rarely see Mixing Engineers using it in the music industry. Very few DAWs even support Atoms mixing. Protools, Logic, Ableton and Neundo are the only few but Nuendo and Steinberg are the only ones that are natively supported. The link to this website doesn't prove much of anything of what you are saying becasue you don't know what they have in their setup. https://dolbyatmosmixes.com/

The Gabriel guy in the youtube video is using a MADI interface and the rendering computer which you can clearly see the MOTU M64 on the left hand side of his Argosy Halo desk. Its a recent video that was uploaded just 4 weeks ago. He doesn't mix for Cinema. So I don't understand what your point you are trying to make but waste of time arguing over nothing as I still stand corrected with Protools which what my original post was based around.
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4299
Gear Guru
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
You seem lost man. The Renderer is not an internal software.
https://steinberg.help/nuendo/v11/en...y_atmos_r.html

That's the renderer right there, in the Nuendo manual.

And here's Dolby's words on it:

https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/...inberg-Nuendo-

"With the introduction of version 11, Nuendo now features a native Renderer for Dolby Atmos licensed from Dolby Labs. This allows for a fself-contained workflow in Nuendo without the need for the Dolby Atmos Renderer. This functionality includes monitoring, program level metadata authoring and ADM BWF export. "




Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
I don't understand what your point you are trying to make
It's that people can get for example the MOTU 16A and as long as they're running something like Nuendo they will be able to mix in Atmos and export ADM files which can be used for audio post OR for music - without the need for the extra stuff you talked about.

Someone could have come away with the idea that they needed Pro Tools and all the extras after having read the first post of yours I responded to. And they don't necessarily need it. That's all.

Do you disagree that that's correct?
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4300
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
https://steinberg.help/nuendo/v11/en...y_atmos_r.html

That's the renderer right there, in the Nuendo manual.

And here's Dolby's words on it:

https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/...inberg-Nuendo-

"With the introduction of version 11, Nuendo now features a native Renderer for Dolby Atmos licensed from Dolby Labs. This allows for a fself-contained workflow in Nuendo without the need for the Dolby Atmos Renderer. This functionality includes monitoring, program level metadata authoring and ADM BWF export. "






It's that people can get for example the MOTU 16A and as long as they're running something like Nuendo they will be able to mix in Atmos and export ADM files which can be used for audio post OR for music - without the need for the extra stuff you talked about.

Someone could have come away with the idea that they needed Pro Tools and all the extras after having read the first post of yours I responded to. And they don't necessarily need it. That's all.

Do you disagree that that's correct?
Protools buddy. Protools we are talking about. My original post still stands corrected as it's based around a Protools rig. No one was talking about Nuendo or Post Production that you keep rambling about.

You still need the dedicated hardware no matter how you try to change it around because not everyone uses Nuendo or a Mac machine esp if you are on Windows that uses Protools. My Illustration is Windows based PC with Protools ultimate. You seem not to comprehend that. Majority of the music industry uses Protools because it's still the industry standard by professional Mixing Engineers like Tony Maserati, Chris Lord-Alge etc...

Even Deadmau5 has a hardware unit he mixes his own music in Ableton live. You can watch his video while you're at it.
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4301
Gear Guru
 
🎧 10 years
The MOTU product lineup seems to be suitable for at least some high level Atmos work, and at a good price to boot! I'll stop contributing to this digression now.




Welcome to ignore Kasami. Too much Dunning Kruger for this week.

PSA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
My original post still stands corrected
When something or someone "stands corrected" it means they have been wrong about something and now that something has been "corrected". So you probably mean you and your post stands "correct", not "corrected".
Old 6th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4302
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
The MOTU product lineup seems to be suitable for at least some high level Atmos work, and at a good price to boot! I'll stop contributing to this digression now.




Welcome to ignore Kasami. Too much Dunning Kruger for this week.

PSA:

When something or someone "stands corrected" it means they have been wrong about something and now that something has been "corrected". So you probably mean you and your post stands "correct", not "corrected".
You still couldn't answer any of my Protools questions. What about folks that use Protools mr. Know it all? My original post stands corrected because you failed to come up with an answer regarding Protools users. You keep rambling about Nuendo. You need dedicated hardware for a Windows machine if you are using Protools. That's already a fact and very clearly out lined. You are wasting a lot of time with this back and fourth as you aren't offering much vaule to this thread. There are more DAWs than just Nuendo. I'm going put you on my ignore list. You are already very annoying.
Old 7th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4303
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
You still couldn't answer any of my Protools questions. What about folks that use Protools mr. Know it all? My original post stands corrected because you failed to come up with an answer regarding Protools users. You keep rambling about Nuendo. You need dedicated hardware for a Windows machine if you are using Protools. That's already a fact and very clearly out lined. You are wasting a lot of time with this back and fourth as you aren't offering much vaule to this thread. There are more DAWs than just Nuendo. I'm going put you on my ignore list. You are already very annoying.

I liked your initial post because I thought it was informative but didn’t get the impression from that first post with the diagram that you were talking “exclusively” about a PT based setup so I guess it could have been worded more clearly. I don’t know much about Atmos mixing but I came away from your post thinking, “oh well, guess I won’t be exploring Atmos any time soon if I need all those peripherals just to test the waters.” Mattiasnyc’s post actually adds a lot of value to this thread now that I understand you can do this with Nuendo and a single Motu16a.
Old 7th August 2021 | Show parent
  #4304
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
You still couldn't answer any of my Protools questions. What about folks that use Protools mr. Know it all? My original post stands corrected because you failed to come up with an answer regarding Protools users. You keep rambling about Nuendo. You need dedicated hardware for a Windows machine if you are using Protools. That's already a fact and very clearly out lined. You are wasting a lot of time with this back and fourth as you aren't offering much vaule to this thread. There are more DAWs than just Nuendo. I'm going put you on my ignore list. You are already very annoying.
I think it might reflect better on you to lose the defensive attitude and insulting a poster who was just trying to be informative.

To recap what I have learned:-

If I can ONLY use Pro Tools, then your original post would help someone interested in doing Atmos music.

What mattiasnyc has added, has allowed me to know that if I am REALLY interested in Atmos music mixing, then I could try this it with FAR LES OUTLAY by simply purchasing Nuendo.

If this was a ProTools / Avid thread, then I would more understand your position in ignoring what was being said about Nuendo options - but this is a MOTU ABV, thread, and for me as an existing Moto AVB / Cubase Pro user, knowing that if I wanted to ever try an Atmos mix, I could do it much easier than Pro Tools and a Dell rendering server is hugely useful.

So, I appreciate the initial info, but also appreciate the Nuendo info as well.
Old 19th September 2021
  #4305
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
I have had two 16a's, both worked great, no issues.

I am on my third 8M, just got it, all from Sweetwater, and none of them have worked for different reasons. 1st one booted into some strange screen no one, including MOTU, knew what is was. Second one worked for a period but after awhile booted into the Update Firmware screen and would not leave it, not even after updating firmware.

This third one registers no input activity. I have 6 inputs with stuff going into it, some requiring phantom and others not and none of the inputs are doing anything. The front LCD shows no activity, and audio control (through the browser) shows no activity. I took the mics and their cables and put them into my Babyface to make sure everywhere was working and they work through the Babyface. WTF!

Are they any success stories with 8M's at all out there? This is absurd.
Old 19th September 2021 | Show parent
  #4306
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha ➡️
I have had two 16a's, both worked great, no issues.

Are they any success stories with 8M's at all out there? This is absurd.
I have an 8m, I got it to replace an Digi 002 - I only use it for monitoring, really, and it has been flawless from day 1.
Old 22nd September 2021 | Show parent
  #4307
Gear Head
 
arthur_br's Avatar
I have an 8M for some years now. Worked good from the beginning, all updates successful. Still use it as my main interface (I have a 24ai and a Clarett Octopre as extenders) and recorded drums with multiple microphones with it. Happy with the result.
Very sad to hear some units have problems :/
Old 24th September 2021 | Show parent
  #4308
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha ➡️
I have had two 16a's, both worked great, no issues.

I am on my third 8M, just got it, all from Sweetwater, and none of them have worked for different reasons. 1st one booted into some strange screen no one, including MOTU, knew what is was. Second one worked for a period but after awhile booted into the Update Firmware screen and would not leave it, not even after updating firmware.

This third one registers no input activity. I have 6 inputs with stuff going into it, some requiring phantom and others not and none of the inputs are doing anything. The front LCD shows no activity, and audio control (through the browser) shows no activity. I took the mics and their cables and put them into my Babyface to make sure everywhere was working and they work through the Babyface. WTF!

Are they any success stories with 8M's at all out there? This is absurd.
Were they B-Stock or opened box items? That's seems quite odd and rare. I know many times people returned items back or may screw up the settings but Sweetwater is usually pretty good at making sure everything is in working order before products are shipped hense candy and slips inside box.
Old 4th October 2021 | Show parent
  #4309
Lives for gear
 
Circuit3's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
My MOTU1248 is exhibiting power supply problems. When I turn it on the display goes through a repeated cycle before, after a few minutes, completing power on. Ocassionally it will flash a 'lower power warning.

Unfortunately device is out of warranty.

I've searched online but cannot find any mention of known issues with MOTU internal power supply on the 1248.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem? Was it a straightforward fix?

I'm trying to decide whether to have a local pro audio electronic service take a look at it or send it to the nearest MOTU authorised service centre in the UK (I'm in Ireland... so import/export hassles will be part of that process).
Old 4th October 2021 | Show parent
  #4310
Lives for gear
 
Cornvalley's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit3 ➡️
My MOTU1248 is exhibiting power supply problems. When I turn it on the display goes through a repeated cycle before, after a few minutes, completing power on. Ocassionally it will flash a 'lower power warning.

Unfortunately device is out of warranty.

I've searched online but cannot find any mention of known issues with MOTU internal power supply on the 1248.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem? Was it a straightforward fix?

I'm trying to decide whether to have a local pro audio electronic service take a look at it or send it to the nearest MOTU authorised service centre in the UK (I'm in Ireland... so import/export hassles will be part of that process).
https://youtu.be/dvUUJ1voFPo?t=528
Old 4th October 2021 | Show parent
  #4311
Lives for gear
 
Circuit3's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley ➡️
Thank you. I wonder what the solution used for those power supplies is?
Old 4th October 2021 | Show parent
  #4312
Lives for gear
 
Cornvalley's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit3 ➡️
Thank you. I wonder what the solution used for those power supplies is?
I’d email him. I believe he changed out the power supply on one of them. Doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult.
Shame they’re not more robust as they are great units otherwise.
Old 4th October 2021 | Show parent
  #4313
Lives for gear
 
Circuit3's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley ➡️
I’d email him. I believe he changed out the power supply on one of them. Doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult.
Shame they’re not more robust as they are great units otherwise.
I've left a comment on the video - will try to message/email. If it's just a board swap out I can do it but if it's component level I'll have a qualified repair engineer do it.
Old 4th October 2021 | Show parent
  #4314
Gear Addict
 
I heard reports of many RME units having the same problem. No manufacture is perfect. He mentioned switching to RME in the video but I don't think that would be a solution to his problem. Antelope and Audient are also prone to hardware issues too. Could be something to do with the automatic voltage switching in foreign counties with some MOTU units. who knows. but the reports of failing PSU are still pretty small. Some eelier units may have been part of a bad batch while revisions have been secretly been made.
Old 6th October 2021 | Show parent
  #4315
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasami08 ➡️
Were they B-Stock or opened box items? That's seems quite odd and rare. I know many times people returned items back or may screw up the settings but Sweetwater is usually pretty good at making sure everything is in working order before products are shipped hense candy and slips inside box.
This one was a brand new unit because I grew tired of the back and forth from the first unit I bought which was a Demo. That Demo is supposedly with MOTU right now getting repaired.

This new unit, I RMA'd to MOTU a couple weeks ago, they sent the same unit back to me the same day. Plug it in, just goes Firmware Update Mode. It try to update the firmware, update fails.

They didn't even bother to update the firmware and make sure the unit works. WTF. This is insane. Many months of back and forth with Sweetwater and MOTU, two units purchased, three different units received, not a single one of them works. I am in insane hell right now because I was so looking forward to getting back into my creative life today and I can't. I am so angry.

Edit: Ok, spoke to them on the phone and they are being awesome. Apparently, because of the two different units and with Sweetwater being involved, there was some confusion by someone somewhere and they are doing what is necessary to take care of it. So hopefully soon I will finally have a working 8M. So looking forward to that

Last edited by manymanyhaha; 6th October 2021 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 6th October 2021 | Show parent
  #4316
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha ➡️
This one was a brand new unit because I grew tired of the back and forth from the first unit I bought which was a Demo. That Demo is supposedly with MOTU right now getting repaired.

This new unit, I RMA'd to MOTU a couple weeks ago, they sent the same unit back to me the same day. Plug it in, just goes Firmware Update Mode. It try to update the firmware, update fails.

They didn't even bother to update the firmware and make sure the unit works. WTF. This is insane. Many months of back and forth with Sweetwater and MOTU, two units purchased, three different units received, not a single one of them works. I am in insane hell right now because I was so looking forward to getting back into my creative life today and I can't. I am so angry.
I have owned a lot of RME and Motu stuff and still do and this is way outside my experience with these vendors or sweetwater I have to say
Old 6th October 2021 | Show parent
  #4317
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles ➡️
I have owned a lot of RME and Motu stuff and still do and this is way outside my experience with these vendors or sweetwater I have to say
Yeah, I think I'm just having a particularly bad run of it. To an extraordinary extreme. But from the conversation I had with them today, sounds like it is going to get worked out.
Old 8th April 2022
  #4318
Here for the gear
 
I found a bug with my Motu AVB interfaces using the latest Motu drivers with Logic Pro X running on Mac M1. The USB 2.0 causes the Mac to crash and reboot only when using Logic. All other DAWs had no issue. I purchased a Mac Thunderbolt cable and USB-C adapter and it works fine in Logic without issues.
Old 9th April 2022 | Show parent
  #4319
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhanti ➡️
I found a bug with my Motu AVB interfaces using the latest Motu drivers with Logic Pro X running on Mac M1. The USB 2.0 causes the Mac to crash and reboot only when using Logic. All other DAWs had no issue. I purchased a Mac Thunderbolt cable and USB-C adapter and it works fine in Logic without issues.
Open a support ticket! MOTU support has always been great for me, gladly taking reproducible problem scenarios and turning out fixes. I had some issues with the drivers when they updated them for Monterey, and it didn't take long going back and forth with them until a new release addressed the problems I was seeing.
Old 13th April 2022
  #4320
Gear Head
 
🎧 15 years
Anybody tried the new firmware? Opened browser to my interfaces for a session tonight and both my 828ES and 16A were prompting to update to 1.4. Motu tried make me update, I said no, no, no.....not right before a session anyway
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1248 views: 114537
Avatar for Seras
Seras 7th November 2017
replies: 2541 views: 482910
Avatar for johannburkard
johannburkard 1 day ago
replies: 5266 views: 1553966
Avatar for mcgilroy
mcgilroy 4 days ago
replies: 79 views: 19455
Avatar for mequaz
mequaz 1st September 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump