USB-Midi Interface / standalone mode? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
USB-Midi Interface / standalone mode?
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
USB-Midi Interface / standalone mode?

Hi everybody,

Quick question. Can interfaces like these be run with a usb power adapter instead of a computer?

Miditech MIDIface 4x4 - Thomann UK
M-Audio MIDISport 4X4 AE USB - Thomann UK

thanks

Pesco
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Or has someone experience with a similar tool?
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If it's USB Buss powered, I should think so. You should be able to just use the USB to power it, and then use it's midi as needed...as long as the midi interface itself specifically doesn't need a computer to be able to control it's functions etc...(ie; midi ports cannot be configured or used at all) if so, buy a midi router that can be used in 'stand-alone' mode without a computer. My 8X8 Motu MTP AV midi routers allow use without a computer, but uses a 120 volt AC (Or switchable to 230V AC). If you don't need a version with USB to your computer, you can find a used serial version on ebay for less than $50..I did! Actually, if you need the USB version, you can still find a great used deal on ebay for those too, and under $100 ...I did!

Similarly, I use my YouRock midi guitar controller with a USB power adapter just to power it without a computer if I want...the YouRock USB connection is designed to be used for sending midi as well as powering, but my I use the USB adapter for power, then just use it's regular 5-pin midi out for everything... to my midi Motu MTP AV midi router, to midi sound modules, synths, and to my DAW's audio/midi interface.
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The MOTU micro Express can be powered with a USB hub and work as a stand-alone MIDI router:

MOTU.com - micro express Overview

The MOTU Express XT is AC powered and can also work as a stand-alone router:

MOTU.com - MIDI Express XT Overview

Dave
Old 17th April 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for your input! I will have a further look on the smaller motu interfaces.

The Miditech support told me, that the MIDIface 4x4 does not work without a computer.
And according to an other forum the M-Audio MIDISport 4X4 AE USB also doesn't work standalone (While the 2x2 version does).
πŸ“ Reply