Quantcast
New Metric Halo developments - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Metric Halo developments
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
New Metric Halo developments

I'm not even going to try to describe everything they're doing, because you'd laugh at me.

Well, here's a little bit:

Class compliant USB connectivity for all interfaces (and it looks like it's USB2, not 3)
128 I/O channels per node
1024x1024 channel routing matrix with a latency of 1 sample (at 192 kHz!)
Transport via (galvanically decoupled) Cat 5
Integration of MADI, ADAT, AES/EBU & analog
Works with OSX, Linux, iOS, and... Windows
Works with all existing MH boxes

Here's a link to a couple of videos where BJ Buchalter goes through some of the new stuff at Musikmesse:

Video 1

Video 2

The only press release I can find is on the German MH page and, guess what, it's in German.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Its gobsmackingly powerful what they are coming up with !

But we want also a dedicated controller for all this!
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
MH Rocks

I have been a MH supporter for many years, even working for them for a short bit. This announcement is huge. Looks to be a Dante system on steroids with cross platform capability to every OS currently available. How about android too? Probably yes since the hub is class compliant.

go go MH.

Brian Peters
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They entirely built there own USB driver - the bandwidth is obviously there. I still can't believe it what they've managed to do. And I can now build some chep Linux boxes to run as nodes! I wonder if the production bundle is going to be Linux compatible.
Does anyone else have plans to interface with Linux and if so how?
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I will sum up my reply with - MH, take my money please. 6 MH interfaces and counting. Their stuff is aces.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Some details on the technical virtues of the new USB driver would be very interesting. Latency is ?
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
cme
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma ➑️
They entirely built there own USB driver - the bandwidth is obviously there. I still can't believe it what they've managed to do. And I can now build some chep Linux boxes to run as nodes! I wonder if the production bundle is going to be Linux compatible.
Does anyone else have plans to interface with Linux and if so how?
I've been experimenting with Harrison's Mixbus. It is based on ardour which was built on Linux. So once I get the ability to use my 2882 via Linux I'll build a nice little box as my main machine and switch to mixbus full time. May even get a laptop to boot. Quad-core i7 laptops can be found quite reasonably these days.

Anyways my days of being tied to apple are finally numbered. While I have no problems with osx, apples current line-up is getting less and less pro friendly. At least IMO.

Also Harrison has said they're working on a control surface for mixbus. As long as it supports Linux I'll be in daw heaven.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower ➑️
Some details on the technical virtues of the new USB driver would be very interesting. Latency is ?
AFAIK, one sample latency.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➑️
That's what BJ said in the Musikmesse videos.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm kind of flipping out over this news. This is very exciting.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know that my next computer can be something else than a mac

Any news about pricing and time frame ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thats only the USB protocol , that is not to be confused with delivered latency in regards to audio I/O and RTL.

That will still be dependent on the respective driver buffers at each latency setting + AD /DA which is added to the protocol latency.

Still no detail on the actual working latencies of the unit.

Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
To my understanding --- That is the latency for the signals getting through their router and/or Ethernet protocols - each (in digital form). Form my understanding of the video This is absolutely NOT the delay for USB in and out of the computer (and if I am wrong - what an amazing day - I would buythat as soon as available :-). As I heard it they have written a very special driver to allow for way more channels to be done over USB2 but there was still mention of bursting information. Again - to the best of my knowledge this refers to the minimum 1ms USB timer that rules how often interrupts can occur from USB saying "Hey we got something here!". Again - AFAIK - 2ms is the minimum delay USB will add in RTL due to how often it can exchange information with the system - but the detail spec eludes to maybe less possible 125us in/out ??). That "USB delay" + A/D + D/A + 2*daw_buffer + any other delays is what RTL is made of.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
He also mentioned latency of 4 samples. Similar to the internal *TotalMix* latency in RME devices.

I'm confused though. He talked about some drivers being class compliant. Was he just referring to iOS devices?
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower ➑️
To my understanding --- That is the latency for the signals getting through their router and/or Ethernet protocols - each (in digital form). Form my understanding of the video This is absolutely NOT the delay for USB in and out of the computer (and if I am wrong - what an amazing day - I would buythat as soon as available
Ok, thanks for the clarification.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess they would have said so by now but if they have to replace the motherboard or main board whether or not there will be any differance or improvement in the clocking, converters or analog side? Not that they need it - I love the sound of my 2882 - just wondering.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I started a new thread for the official announcement over on the High End forum, as I thought it might make more sense.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...-part-2-a.html
πŸ“ Reply