Quantcast
Confusion with Vint. Warmer's Multiband functionality - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Confusion with Vint. Warmer's Multiband functionality
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Confusion with Vint. Warmer's Multiband functionality

I've watched 2 tutorials about PSP's Micro / Vintage Warmer 1 / 2, and I'm still kind of confused on what the Low & High parameters are adjusting; furthermore, and how they relate to the saturation knobs on the back.

Despite watching the tutorials, it wasn't until reading the manual that I see that (in multiband mode) there are seperate limiters for the 3 bands, and a final limiter after that.

What I dont get is this:

1st) how does the vol. meter gain reduction relate to the gain-reduction of the 3-bands?... or is the gain-red. meter in multiband mode only showing you the gain-red of the final limiter?

2nd) Is this assumption correct: In Multiband mode, decreasing either the Low/High Adjust is like decreasing the threshold on those individual bands, and thus, increases the compression on either band. Which then would have the opposite effect if raising the Low/High Adjust.

3rd) (along with my 2nd assumption then) I would assume that the saturation knobs on the back just further exaggerate the Low/High Adj.; and operate in the same manner... i.e decreasing the db's on a given bands saturation will increase compression, while increasing a given bands saturation level will actually decrease compression (so basically can be thought of as another frequency-dependent threshold manipulator).

Thanks to whoever replies with a positive attitude
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
bump
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
bump
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Use the search, there's another thread here that covers this quite well, not sure if it was on the first page or not. If I wasn't tired I'd dig it out for you..sorry.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Don't use it in multiband mode. That's all I got.

The PSP VW2 manual is one of the worst manuals ever written. I think it must have been translated to English from another language, because some of the wording makes absolutely no sense.

As a compressor, limiter, tape sat., and mono-maker, a very useful and still great sounding plug-in. Multiband? <shrugs> I barely know how to use a multiband with controls that make sense.

Good luck.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D ➑️
Don't use it in multiband mode. That's all I got.
The PSP VW2 manual is one of the worst manuals ever written. I think it must have been translated to English from another language, because some of the wording makes absolutely no sense.
As a compressor, limiter, tape sat., and mono-maker, a very useful and still great sounding plug-in. Multiband? <shrugs> I barely know how to use a multiband with controls that make sense
nice!!.. i got you...
jeeeezzz, took awhile to get an answer from anybody... but thanx EDGEK8D... dude, you gotta see this crappy Groove 3 video on that plug, another perfect example of someone doing a tutorial on an audio plugin that talks the entire time that we are supposed to be listening to the effects of the device (you know what I mean... as the effects of the device are being ducked/sidechained to the voice of the guy doin the tutorial) part of me is determined to use its multiband capabilities at some point, but I get your point of view (especially on multiband in general).

Checkout this link (unless you've already been made aware of this). From what I remember, you have the Native FX bundle for Soundtoys. They released some free-for-a-limited-time analog-style delay plugin called "Little Primate"... this link will get you a redeem code, where you then login to your account with, dl installer, then transfer license from iLok acct. to iLok...

we're supposed to "pass it on"

https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2014/&rc=281-1579-525

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis ➑️
Use the search, there's another thread here that covers this quite well, not sure if it was on the first page or not. If I wasn't tired I'd dig it out for you..sorry.
you know i tried a search prior to my post, although I have to admit and didnt tirelessly explore every single result... thanx valis
πŸ“ Reply