Searching for a sound card - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Searching for a sound card
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Searching for a sound card

Hello everyone!
I am new to these forums; I've been searching for answers regarding my sound card problem but I realized each issue is unique, so I've decided to make an account.

I am using Sonar x3, and I've just got a scarlett 2i2. The Scarlett does not interact well with my MSI motherboard's sound card, the creative cinema blaster (which is obviously not meant for music production). I get frightening latency problems.

So I'm looking for a sound card, and my first question is whether or not this is the right move. Sometimes in compiling this setup I've found that I think I need one thing when I really need another…

If it is a sound card that I need, then the following information may be useful: I record acoustic guitar/bass and vocals through the usb interface. Further, I use software instruments. My processor is an i7. I'm looking for something around 200, and lately I've been finding cards that are for gaming. Also, I've heard that Scarlett does not work well with any Creative sound cards.

It seemed that in another thread, people suggested that the scarlett 2i2 would replace a sound card. That confused me very much.

Lastly, I'm just looking for recommendations.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Before you go buying a new audio device, troubleshoot what you have first.

- Disable the built in audio either in the BIOS or in windows device manager.
- Is the scarlet on a USB 3 (blue) port? If so, connect it to a USB 2 (black or red) port. See if the latency persists.
- If you only have USB 3 ports as is the case with some computers now, you might want to turn off XHCI handling in the BIOS; refer to mobo documentation for how to do that.
- Ensure that you're running a high-performance power profile in windows that does not scale back the power usage of the USB ports; if you're on an intel processor, disable core parking.
- Un/reinstall the scarlet drivers, using the latest driver package.
- Finally, contact Focusrite and ask them if they know of any issues between your audio device and motherboard.

Good luck.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
^^I second disabling the built in audio.
My onboard sound was a realtek chip and I had a Tascam interface. Every once in a while some conflicts would occur while working in my DAW and then BSOD.
Permanently fixed it by disabling onboard audio. Not going to use it anymore anyway with a new sound card
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the advice. I've done all but disabling the sound device through system bios, so I will give that a shot.
📝 Reply