Quantcast
Quality-wise which are better: Reason Refills vs Kontakt libs vs Ableton Live packs? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quality-wise which are better: Reason Refills vs Kontakt libs vs Ableton Live packs?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quality-wise which are better: Reason Refills vs Kontakt libs vs Ableton Live packs?

I think Kontakt libs may have the edge because of its extensive scripting, but small sample libs may yield great results... And there are so many refills and even more Kontakt libs, live packs not so much...

So, quality wise, can Refills ever touch Kontakt libs ?
I wonder what Bitwig will use as a format...
Old 8th March 2014

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician ➡️
I think Kontakt libs may have the edge because of its extensive scripting, but small sample libs may yield great results... And there are so many refills and even more Kontakt libs, live packs not so much...

So, quality wise, can Refills ever touch Kontakt libs ?
I wonder what Bitwig will use as a format...
Quality wise, it depends on how well the samples were sampled, it doesn't really matter which program. Sure the scripting in Kontakt can add to a sample library but if it's badly recorded no amount of scripting matters.

Sure, if you're looking for scripting then Kontakt is the answer but as far as quality goes, there's no definitive answer.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Are refills really good sampled then, or are Kontakt libs better sampled overall?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Doesn't work like that. It's all about the equipment used to record and the quality of the engineering / recording setup. If I record a bad snare drum with a bad microphone and put it in kontakt, it's gonna sound worse than a good snare drum with a good mic in refill format... and vice versa.

It all depends on the library.

Kontakt has a much wider selection of professionaly produced libraries. Almost every professional library producer chooses kontakt for scripting and implementation. Take a look at LASS, Symphobia, Morphestra, etc..
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician ➡️
Are refills really good sampled then, or are Kontakt libs better sampled overall?
They are largely done by 3rd party companies, the quality largely depends on how well they were sampled. The format of the samples is irrelevant.

I will say that Kontakt has the most diverse library of samples available, many of them very high quality but as I said the quality is nothing to do with the fact that they are done in Kontakt.

Camel Audio's Alchemy is another excellent sampler with excellent, well recorded libraries.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Reasons is great and you'd do fine with it! Cost/performance ratio Reasons is the clear winner. If you need specialized libs that will get you the most realistic articulations along with great performance key switches, Kontakt is king.

But its going to cost you...a lot!!!
📝 Reply