Quantcast
Looking for a very low latency interface for composer - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a very low latency interface for composer
Old 8th March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Looking for a very low latency interface for composer

Ok OK, I know I'm the number 10000000 to ask for advice about Audio interface.
But before I put this post I've been reading a lot of threads and none take in count the "in the box composer".

I'm on win 7 x64 , with a 3.1Ghz i7 processor and 12Gb ram.

Actually using a M Audio Fast Track with 128 samples buffer. Used with Reaper, Samplitude, and some more DAW and it works.
Even with 35 tracks of plugins working at the same time.

But now I want a new interface because I bought some good speakers (Event Opal) and want a sound card able to give them the signal they deserve.
And I may add some analog compressor or other effect, and I have several guitars and bass that I'd like to keep connected.

Giving that the connection standards are in a changing period I don't want to spend too much money on the interface. Something like 700 euros 950 dollars.

After many readings I come to this conclusion: Buy a good interface with ADAT so if it's not fast enough I could add a PCIe card and use the first one as preamps.

Would the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 be an option?

I've been told that the Scarlett 18i20 is better even if USB, is that true?

I'd like to go down 128 samples buffer. (I know it's about the computer too)
Has someone experience with VST instruments and very low latency Audio interface?
Old 22nd June 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
OK, no one answers, but I finally bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, using it since 3 months now and I'm pretty happy with it. Price is good, and the latency is very very low. (3ms) even with many plugins loaded.
(I have a decent computer).
Defaults?
The max volume output for headphones is a bit limited, so if you work with high impedance headphones, and you maintain your mixes into the -12db rule for headroom, it may not be enough.
The software is a bit tricky at first glance, so you need to give some time to master it. It should come with more basic presets.
Old 23rd June 2014
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
RME is the one to go. Babyface is an excellent choice if you don't need lots of in/out, otherwise fireface ucx is awesome. For less latency, you might wanna consider PCIe interface such as Lynx or RME. We convert all of our interface to RME in the studio and it sounds good and extremely stable, and low latency of course.
Old 23rd June 2014
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Why not go with an rme pcie card out of the gate and couple w/ a used adda rack or ada8200?

Onyx blackbird another option--lower latency than a babyface.
Old 23rd June 2014
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
rme is always the answer.
๐Ÿ“ Reply