Quantcast
How do YOU organize/label your tracks? Heres my workflow... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do YOU organize/label your tracks? Heres my workflow...
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
How do YOU organize/label your tracks? Heres my workflow...

Wondering how everyone organizes their work in terms of file names and folders.

When I first started making beats years ago, I would start a new file and call it something totally random like "purple monkey" or "cheezy chicken." Needless to say, I had no idea what any of these files were when looking back in my work in the future.

What I've been doing for awhile now is labeling them after the date. If I made a new track today it would be called "2014.03.07". If I have something in mind when I make the track, or knew a certain sample I would use I will add that to the name. For instance, if I planned on sampling "California Dreaming" it would be "2014.03.07-california_dreaming." However, I almost always start a file without knowing what will be involved so it is simply titled after the date.

I have a folder for each year that goes by and all my exported .wavs are in order in my iTunes by name (due to the chronological numbering). When I export each track I name it for each "version" that it goes through. Meaning my first version will be the very first export and I'll title it "2014.03.07_v1.wav". I'll listen to it at work, in my car, etc and take notes. When I go back and make changes and export it again it is called "2014.03.07_v2.wav." That way I always know which is the most recent version and can even go back and listen to older ones. In addition, I sometimes just have a vague idea for a track and don't get very far on it, in which case I'll export it with the suffex of "_v0", to show that it's hardly even a track yet.

This system of labeling seems to work pretty well, the only problem is when I start more than one track in a single day. Thats when it gets confusing. The only solution I have at the moment is to label the second file "2014.03.07-TWO." I spell out the number because adding another digit makes it very hard to tell that it is a different track all together.

I developed this labeling system over a few years on my own, but have never discussed how others label or organize their files and was curious.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
2014.03.08 - CDmFM7

I usually know songs by the chord progression. Once I have a feel for it, then I'll given it a name.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
i tried this method for organization and labeling and stayed with it. seems at first a little complex with lots of folders but after a good read through the document and a set up of a default folder structure it's just copy+paste for every new project and it is a good to keep everything in place i think.

http://www.grammy.org/files/pages/DAWGuidelineLong.pdf
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…