Quantcast
RME HDSPe AIO - Digital interference issues...? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME HDSPe AIO - Digital interference issues...?
Old 14th February 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
1) Tape isolation doesn't work.

2) Forget about bios settings, it's a waste of time.

3) Forget about buying a new graphics card or PSU, it will be a waste of money.

The issue is grounding. It is worse if using the audio inputs, but still an issue on headphones and speakers plugged in alone.

Hum, whiney computer noise, digital interference noise that gets worse when you move your mouse.

To the above poster thinking about Ebtech Hum X. Yes it's quite likely to fix it. There are few options.
I'm using the 2 x Behringer HD400. Hum gone and (more importantly) the whiney computer noise gone

I'd suggest trying the Behringer first as it's cheap.

Ground EVERYTHING. My Behringer HD400 got rid of all the whiney computer noise and I wish I'd tried it sooner!
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have this crap noise too. Only on my compúters with seasonic x-series psus though! I replaced one of the x-series psus with an older one i had laying around and the noise disappeared or moved like 30dB down or so.

The problem with the new psus are the pwm control of everything, they are made to be ultra efficient and they achieve that by pwm-ing up and down all the time.

I have heard and measured this **** in my mic amp too. it has a pwm psu. the maker simply told me that in 240V countries the switching freq is lower and is in the audible range, not using the phantom power too makes it worse. supposedly the pwm psu switching freq is higher in 110V countries and when using the 48v out.

I think it works the same with the computer psus. At least somewhat similar. If i pop in one of my audio card in a computer from 2004 its dead silent. then i hear the background noise of the mixer instead, but its way way low. and white noise. not crackle crap.

I was recommended a permanent solution by some electrical engineers.

Make a breakout pci/pci-e cable with small filter caps on all lanes that cause this crap. Then the crap is filtered out.
Old 17th August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik ➡️
I have this crap noise too. Only on my compúters with seasonic x-series psus though! I replaced one of the x-series psus with an older one i had laying around and the noise disappeared or moved like 30dB down or so.

The problem with the new psus are the pwm control of everything, they are made to be ultra efficient and they achieve that by pwm-ing up and down all the time.

I have heard and measured this **** in my mic amp too. it has a pwm psu. the maker simply told me that in 240V countries the switching freq is lower and is in the audible range, not using the phantom power too makes it worse. supposedly the pwm psu switching freq is higher in 110V countries and when using the 48v out.

I think it works the same with the computer psus. At least somewhat similar. If i pop in one of my audio card in a computer from 2004 its dead silent. then i hear the background noise of the mixer instead, but its way way low. and white noise. not crackle crap.

I was recommended a permanent solution by some electrical engineers.

Make a breakout pci/pci-e cable with small filter caps on all lanes that cause this crap. Then the crap is filtered out.
This is the solution for all of you guys experiencing noise:

1. Execute: "regedit"
2 .Locate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ PowerSettings \ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b¬740d00 \ 5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-215849¬2d58ad
3. Change Attributes from 1 to 0.
4. Then, through the control panel - power - in the settings mode select power management processor. There will be an option disabling idle processor and high pitched noise immediately disappears.

Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I my case it does the same when using linux too.

It actually doesn't matter what soundcard i use. neither does os. neither does which computer i use (i have like 10 of them) and neither does the gpu/no gpu. I know the sound went away when switching back to an older psu though. But i think the next thing to do with my newer i7 boxes will be to turn off all "states". and simply run them full blast all the time. I'm running good boards and cpus so i guess i can turn off whatever I want in bios.
Old 16th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

worked

Quote:
1. Execute: "regedit"
2 .Locate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ PowerSettings \ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b¬740d00 \ 5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-215849¬2d58ad
3. Change Attributes from 1 to 0.
4. Then, through the control panel - power - in the settings mode select power management processor. There will be an option disabling idle processor and high pitched noise immediately disappears.
Hi I just bought the RME AIO second hand. The noise situation hit me hard when everything was installed and turned on.
Did a full search on every forum, and this trick did it for me! Now everything is working fine and is dead silent! So this is a good ol THANK YOU!!
📝 Reply