Quantcast
UAD Sale Prices - How does the current sale compare to the Holiday Sale / Other Sales - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD Sale Prices - How does the current sale compare to the Holiday Sale / Other Sales
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
UAD Sale Prices - How does the current sale compare to the Holiday Sale / Other Sales

UAD plugins are great but insanely expensive. They always have these sales and free vouchers which is great, but my question is how does the current sale compare to the other sales they have?

Has anybody been a UAD user for a while? Can you tell me if the current prices are pretty good? I have a $75 worth of vouchers, so I'm definitely gonna buy something, I just don't know what yet.

So what are the other big UAD sales besides the holiday sales? Should I take advantage and buy some stuff now, or wait for the summer sale? How good is the summer sale?

Anybody have archived prices for what the costs were during other sales? That would be awesome. Thanks
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It seems to me the one they have toward the end of the year is the best one. This current one wouldn't move me too much. But then I have almost everything that is on sale. If you have $75 in vouchers and get another $50 off of something you can really use, then you're not getting too bad of a deal.
L.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

You really think they're "insanely expensive"? Dang. I think they're not only fairy priced, but kind of even on the cheap side.

Must be that I'm conditioned to prices on analog gear
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Kind of meager. They have better sales.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
You really think they're "insanely expensive"? Dang. I think they're not only fairy priced, but kind of even on the cheap side.

Considering almost every plugin they make is available in regular plugin format for half the cost, yeah I'd say that's insanely expensive.

I do think there's sound as good / if not better, but the real reason I buy UA plugs is because it takes the heat off my computer.

I think I'll probably upgrade the LA2A for $25, that's a pretty sweet deal. Or should I upgrade the 1176 for $25? Tough choice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
Kind of meager. They have better sales.
Can you give an idea on the prices or when these sells might occur?
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
Yeah, I think that's the thing. Comparing it to other software would be more appropriate.
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok ➡️
I think I'll probably upgrade the LA2A for $25, that's a pretty sweet deal. Or should I upgrade the 1176 for $25? Tough choice.
If you record lots of vocals then I'd vote for the LA2A as I find it's something I can print while recording with no regrets. 1176 is more versatile and uses a bit less DSP though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Considering almost every plugin they make is available in regular plugin format for half the cost, yeah I'd say that's insanely expensive.

I do think there's sound as good / if not better, but the real reason I buy UA plugs is because it takes the heat off my computer.

Your post leads me to think you're comparing the native alternatives to the (now labeled) "legacy" UAD plugs? If so, I can understand your view that there are native options that are mostly on par with the UAD stuff.

Hit the demo button on the MKII 1176s, LA2As, Pultecs and Fairchild. I bet it makes you smile. They're very good...

As for your $25 option, if it were me I'd take the 1176s. But that's just cause I use them more. I have the LA2A's too and they're beautiful sounding.
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
Your post leads me to think you're comparing the native alternatives to the (now labeled) "legacy" UAD plugs? If so, I can understand your view that there are native options that are mostly on par with the UAD stuff.
I think it's commonly accepted by most people now that the competition has offerings that is on par with much of what UAD has to offer. Things have changed a lot in the recent years. There are lots of brilliant developers out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower ➡️
I think it's commonly accepted by most people now that the competition has offerings that is on par with much of what UAD has to offer. Things have changed a lot in the recent years. There are lots of brilliant developers out there.
I don't think that's commonly accepted at all. UAD plugins are still top of the food chain and are highly regarded for good reason.

In addition, you simply can't get some of the UAD offerings anywhere else.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, I don't commonly accept that...and I have a ton of the other major stuff, including almost all of the waves plugs, which I rarely use anymore. My opinion is that there are a lot of good native plugs out there, but when I a/b them against my UAD stuff, the UAD stuff wins about 95% of the time. And as far as being expensive, maybe a tad....but I'm willing to pay a little more for what I perceive as the best. And really they aren't that much more overall.
L.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The correct answer is: both!

If you have the legacy plugins the price is pretty good this month. I would wait a week or two to see if they give us another voucher for $25. I'm going to get the new Fairchild this month for sure.

But to answer your first question, in general the December holiday sale is the best one.
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll ➡️
I don't think that's commonly accepted at all. UAD plugins are still top of the food chain and are highly regarded for good reason.
I honestly believe that a large part of that reason is the fact that they are more expensive and that they are licensed to use brand names.
In all honesty would you regard their LA2A plug as highly if it was called "Tube Limiter" with a modern flat UI and it was released by some unknown company and they charged $100 for it?

This is not to downplay their plugins at all, they are still among the best, but they do have some tough competition these days. More and more UAD users are moving over to using plugs from Slate, Softube, Kush, Waves and so on.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I honestly believe that a large part of that reason is the fact that they are more expensive and that they are licensed to use brand names.
In all honesty would you regard their LA2A plug as highly if it was called "Tube Limiter" with a modern flat UI and it was released by some unknown company and they charged $100 for it?

This is not to downplay their plugins at all, they are still among the best, but they do have some tough competition these days. More and more UAD users are moving over to using plugs from Slate, Softube, Kush, Waves and so on.
Well, when it comes the Waves stuff, I'd contend the UAD stuff is generally heads-and-shoulders better. I've never used Kush plugs, so I can't comment there. Slate is OK; Trigger is their best offering IMO. The VTM is ok, but not great. I'm keen to compare the UAD tape emus to it. The only Softube I've used is the get compressor. Sounds good, but at $229 ($329 for TDM), I'm not sure it's really any cheaper than the UAD alternative. Hell, I just bought the whole UAD 1176 bundle (that's three separate compressor models) for $99.

My two cents.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I only care what my ears tell me.

I have a lot of the latest and greatest native stuff too (Slate, Kush, FabFilter, Waves). I run out of UAD CPU every mix.

If you've tried the MKII stuff and don't hear the improvement over native offerings then definitely don't buy it.

For me and my ears and my money, nothing touches the UAD MKII emulations so I keep reluctantly ponying up for 'em.

Usually during sales though...
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
End of year sale is the best because they discount every plug-in. Also they have a summer promotion I believe where if you buy a new octo card they give you up to a $1000.00 plug-in voucher. This months sale I will have to pull the trigger on the pultec collection because I have all the other ones already. Buy the 1176 collection because you can use the blue stripe for vocals, and bass. The black face for drums, and the anniversary compressor for 2:1 mix bus glue.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Agree with other posters, the deepest discounts I have seen were at the end of 2103. However, for repeat buyers they often offer coupons and the current sale is pretty good at $50 off several excellent plug-ins. I added the 1176 collection and API Vision Channel strip this month, what the heck….
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGTR ➡️
Agree with other posters, the deepest discounts I have seen were at the end of 2103. However, for repeat buyers they often offer coupons and the current sale is pretty good at $50 off several excellent plug-ins. I added the 1176 collection and API Vision Channel strip this month, what the heck….
Do you remember how good those discounts were? Maybe actual numbers by any chance if you have an e-mail saved or something... ?

I'm deciding if I want to use my $75 in vouchers to buy Fatso for $175, or just upgrade my 1176 for $25...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you remember how good those discounts were? Maybe actual numbers by any chance if you have an e-mail saved or something... ?

I'm deciding if I want to use my $75 in vouchers to buy Fatso for $175, or just upgrade my 1176 for $25...
I don't remember exact prices but I agree that holiday sale is usually good.

FWIW, I'd take the 1176 bundle over the Fatso any day. I have and love both, but the 3 1176s are super versatile and get more use from me than the Fatso Sr/Jr.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
There is usually a better sale in June. Worth waiting for that.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I checked my December 2013 orders and here's what I got:

Pultec Passive EQ (upgrade from Legacy version): $99
Precision De-Esser: $49
Ampex ATR-102: $249 (less $25 coupon- net $224)
Manley Massive Passive: $199 (less $25 coupon- net $174)

Yes, I went a bit wild.

I also checked when I was emailed a coupon, and it's usually around the 18th or 20th of the month. So I would suggest holding off buying any plugins for a little while to see if UA gives us all another $25 coupon as an incentive to buy.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
When I bought my UAD-2 Satellite Duo Core I received a $79 coupon for the Pultec Pro EQ and a $50 voucher.

Here's my list so far:
FATSO Jr./Sr. Tape Sim. & Compressor > Voucher $50 + Discount $59.51
Manley Massive Passive EQ > Coupon $200
SSL E Series Channel Strip > Coupon $25 + Discount $70
Little Labs IBP Phase Alignment Tool > Coupon $50
Helios Type 69 EQ > Summersale $50
BOSS CE-1 Chorus Ensemble > Coupons $50 (2x25) + Discount $50 (free plugin)
Teletronix LA-3A Classic Audio Leveler > Coupons $50 (2x25) + Discount $50 (winter) (free plugin)
Precision Multiband > Discount (winter) $150
Cooper Time Cube Mk II Delay > Coupon $50
Moog Multimode Filter > My first UAD plugin without a reduced price heh (couldn't wait)

My total discount is $1033,51 and I skipped 1 $25 coupon. So are they expensive? Well, maybe they are .. maybe they aren't (= clever buying) AND .. after each buy you can use ALL plugins for 2 weeks. Last wintersale was the best indeed. Will now wait till the end of the month. Not sure yet what I'll buy but I think the Pultec upgrade for $99.

By the way: $99 IS the special price for Pultec Legacy owners I presume? Or can they buy it for $49? heh Then I might be interested in the other upgrades as well
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa ➡️
So I would suggest holding off buying any plugins for a little while to see if UA gives us all another $25 coupon as an incentive to buy.
I already got mine
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Where are you getting $25 coupons and or upgrade pricing for legacy?

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c ➡️
Where are you getting $25 coupons and or upgrade pricing for legacy?

Thanks
I've got both through UA mails.

PULTEC HERE I COME heh
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

I just put my system together, and the prices looked like this:

- when I was registering my Apollo 16, I got a free Helios Type 69 plugin coupon and the UA 610B plugin, plus, I was given the option to put together a "custom bundle" of an additional 3, 6, or 10 plugins of my choice. I chose the 10 plugin bundle, which cost $1199, and I went with:

- API Vision Channel Strip
- dbx 160vu
- Fairchild 660/670 Bundle
- Manley Massive Passive
- Neve 1081
- Neve 31102
- Neve 33609
- Ocean Way Room
- SSL Channel Strip
- Urei LA3A

- Plus, they had a sale on their "most popular" plugins, and I got the following for $99 each:

- 1176 Bundle
- LA2A Bundle
- Pultec Bundle

For a total of $297.

And last, I was given a $100 coupon, which I applied to that purchase, to bring it down to $197.

So, for $1396, I got a total of 15 plugins (literally every single UAD plugin I was hoping to eventually own, plus a few bonus ones), which averages out the cost to less than $100 each, for what are easily the best analog clone plugins I've used to-date. Add to that the plugs that are included (the various "Legacy" items, the channel strip, and the reverb), and I'm up to 23 plugin options.

Not too shabby.

EDIT: I should note that the Waves Studio Classics Bundle alone costs $2250, CLA Compressors is $750, and JJP Fairchild/Pultec is $750 (all of these prices are recent price drops, too), so to put together a comparable Waves equivalent, I'd be looking at $3750. Even factoring in the price of the Apollo 16 hardware, I still come out way, way ahead.
eb7
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

The sale at the end of the year is the best one overall. But $99 each to upgrade to the mkII versions is the lowest they're ever going to go, so if that's what you're interested in you might as well buy them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa ➡️
I also checked when I was emailed a coupon, and it's usually around the 18th or 20th of the month. So I would suggest holding off buying any plugins for a little while to see if UA gives us all another $25 coupon as an incentive to buy.
This is good advice. I usually wait until the last day of a sale, as I've already had UA issue me a coupon just a few days before the end of the month.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
When I hear or read the word 'coupon' I always think of this movie quote. heh

Quote:
GENNARO
Sure, they will, they will.
(laughing)
We'll have a - - coupon day or something.

Grant looks down, at the plate he's eating from. It's in the shape of the island itself. He looks at his drinking cup. It's got a T-rex on it, and a splashy Jurassic Park logo.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➡️
I've got both through UA mails.

PULTEC HERE I COME heh
emails...?
📝 Reply