Quantcast
UAD Sale Prices - How does the current sale compare to the Holiday Sale / Other Sales - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD Sale Prices - How does the current sale compare to the Holiday Sale / Other Sales
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
I just put my system together, and the prices looked like this:

- when I was registering my Apollo 16, I got a free Helios Type 69 plugin coupon and the UA 610B plugin, plus, I was given the option to put together a "custom bundle" of an additional 3, 6, or 10 plugins of my choice. I chose the 10 plugin bundle, which cost $1199, and I went with:

- API Vision Channel Strip
- dbx 160vu
- Fairchild 660/670 Bundle
- Manley Massive Passive
- Neve 1081
- Neve 31102
- Neve 33609
- Ocean Way Room
- SSL Channel Strip
- Urei LA3A

- Plus, they had a sale on their "most popular" plugins, and I got the following for $99 each:

- 1176 Bundle
- LA2A Bundle
- Pultec Bundle

For a total of $297.

And last, I was given a $100 coupon, which I applied to that purchase, to bring it down to $197.

So, for $1396, I got a total of 15 plugins (literally every single UAD plugin I was hoping to eventually own, plus a few bonus ones), which averages out the cost to less than $100 each, for what are easily the best analog clone plugins I've used to-date. Add to that the plugs that are included (the various "Legacy" items, the channel strip, and the reverb), and I'm up to 23 plugin options.

Not too shabby.

EDIT: I should note that the Waves Studio Classics Bundle alone costs $2250, CLA Compressors is $750, and JJP Fairchild/Pultec is $750 (all of these prices are recent price drops, too), so to put together a comparable Waves equivalent, I'd be looking at $3750. Even factoring in the price of the Apollo 16 hardware, I still come out way, way ahead.
Whoah, whoah, whoah there bro. Don't be bringin a bunch of "facts" in here. Everyone knows UAD plugins are just horribly overpriced. That's the narrative. Ask anyone.

We don't need your fancy "numbers" and "actual purchases" and stuff. You take that stuff elsewhere, you fanboy, you....

Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c ➡️
emails...?
If you are a registered user, the just put it in your account and then send you a email to let you know it's there. When I registered my Octo it was a instant $1200 or so toward any plugs. And then they offered my any 3 plugs for $399. Expensive? Not really.
L.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
bgrotto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
Whoah, whoah, whoah there bro. Don't be bringin a bunch of "facts" in here. Everyone knows UAD plugins are just horribly overpriced. That's the narrative. Ask anyone.

We don't need your fancy "numbers" and "actual purchases" and stuff. You take that stuff elsewhere, you fanboy, you....



My bad!

Fact is, I don't really buy a lot of plugins, so I don't know the regular "going rates", but like I said: the UAD stuff really strikes me as a bargain.

Anywho, I just did my first round of mixing (er, well, actually, it was rough mixes, but whatever, I got to play with my new toys) with my new system, and I gotta say: I'm wicked psyched on the results. Of course, now I wish I had more horse power, but what are ya gonna do? Maybe later this year...
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Miiko's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
Whoah, whoah, whoah there bro. Don't be bringin a bunch of "facts" in here. Everyone knows UAD plugins are just horribly overpriced. That's the narrative. Ask anyone.

We don't need your fancy "numbers" and "actual purchases" and stuff. You take that stuff elsewhere, you fanboy, you....

Well the retail prices ARE horribly overpriced.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️


My bad!

Fact is, I don't really buy a lot of plugins, so I don't know the regular "going rates", but like I said: the UAD stuff really strikes me as a bargain.

Anywho, I just did my first round of mixing (er, well, actually, it was rough mixes, but whatever, I got to play with my new toys) with my new system, and I gotta say: I'm wicked psyched on the results. Of course, now I wish I had more horse power, but what are ya gonna do? Maybe later this year...
I know the feeling. The UAD, MKII especially, sounds pretty amazing. But those harmonic-feel-goods don't come cheap DSP wise. I max my Apollo QUAD out every mix (I'm at 88.2 too so it's worse than a lower rate). There's probably a QUAD Satellite in my future.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c ➡️
emails...?
Yeah. UA emailed me both the coupon code and promo info on the Top 10 plug-in reductions.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
12 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
EDIT: I should note that the Waves Studio Classics Bundle alone costs $2250, CLA Compressors is $750, and JJP Fairchild/Pultec is $750 (all of these prices are recent price drops, too), so to put together a comparable Waves equivalent, I'd be looking at $3750. Even factoring in the price of the Apollo 16 hardware, I still come out way, way ahead.
To be fair though, Waves has their plugins on sale all the time so you could probably be able to collect an equal amount of goodies for that price.
The plugins you listed would go for $3550 RSP plus the cost for the UAD card.

Never been a big fan of Waves plugs in general myself and I do think they are a bit overpriced just like the UAD stuff.

Softubes plugs are not that expensive if you buy the bundles (which are not much more than the single plugs). I really dig their plugs (except for Amp Room), but I detest iLok so I won't buy into them.
Old 6th March 2014
  #38
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm deciding if I want to use my $75 in vouchers to buy Fatso for $175, or just upgrade my 1176 for $25.
i havent been with UAD for a REAL long time....well i have but not UAD2. UAD1 doesnt support the Fatso.....anyway, this is about as low as ive seen the fatso go. (im trying to recall if ive seen it at $199 or not but i dont think so - if so, id think you'll be waiting a while) You'll probably see the 1176s at $99 again, so i think it comes down to - spend $175 on Fatso now and then have to spend $99 on the 1176s later OR $25 on the 1176s now and maybe as much as $299 on the Fatso later....For me its an easy choice Fatso at $175.

Quote:
Waves equivalent, I'd be looking at $3750.
Actually the Waves Mercury bundle could have been bought last month for $2,650.

Quote:
But $99 each to upgrade to the mkII versions is the lowest they're ever going to go, so if that's what you're interested in you might as well buy them now.
UAD offers a good many coupons. Ive gotten them for rating products. I got my 1176s for $49. I do agree however that you prob wont see a sticker price on them for less than $99 That is best case scenario for those plugins. no question.

Quote:
This is good advice. I usually wait until the last day of a sale, as I've already had UA issue me a coupon just a few days before the end of the month.
Lots of times the emails come a couple of days after youve been given the coupon, so it pays to check.

Quote:
Well the retail prices ARE horribly overpriced.
100% agree, but they all do that. Plugin alliance is the worst. you get emails saying how the plugins are %50 off yet theyve priced a $149 plugin at $299
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok ➡️
Well the retail prices ARE horribly overpriced.
Cool, so did anybody else just get a UAD coupon?

they said it was "just for their best customers" so you know Ragan prob didnt get one
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird ➡️
Cool, so did anybody else just get a UAD coupon?

they said it was "just for their best customers" so you know Ragan prob didnt get one
I didn't! I don't think. I've gotten them before but I don't think I've used one lately.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird ➡️
UAD offers a good many coupons. I've gotten them for rating products.
I'm giving your idea a try and did a review. I wouldn't say no to a $25 coupon. Besides, I love UAD plugins.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
I didn't! I don't think. I've gotten them before but I don't think I've used one lately.
Meh..maybe it just hasnt arrived yet. I got mine about 1 min before my intial post about it.

Quote:
I'm giving your idea a try and did a review. I wouldn't say no to a $25 coupon. Besides, I love UAD plugins.
LOL! i hope ya get one.

That was one of the first coupons i got when i moved on to UAD2, and trust me i was rating EVERYTHING after that. UAD dealer locator?! 5 stars! best dealer locator ive ever tried I never DID get another coupon after that first one.


Now which to take - the Fairchild mkII the LA2A mkII or the Pultec?? I was going to grab one anyway and was having the slightest "pre buyers buyers remorse" but the $25 coupon sealed the deal.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Miiko's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird ➡️
Meh..maybe it just hasnt arrived yet. I got mine about 1 min before my intial post about it.

LOL! i hope ya get one.

That was one of the first coupons i got when i moved on to UAD2, and trust me i was rating EVERYTHING after that. UAD dealer locator?! 5 stars! best dealer locator ive ever tried I never DID get another coupon after that first one.


Now which to take - the Fairchild mkII the LA2A mkII or the Pultec?? I was going to grab one anyway and was having the slightest "pre buyers buyers remorse" but the $25 coupon sealed the deal.
I bought the fairchild as part of my intro bundle, it's really really great sounding compressor.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok ➡️
I bought the fairchild as part of my intro bundle, it's really really great sounding compressor.
Damn i was afraid somebody would say that. I was just asking Ragan about it the other day. I have most of "must have" softpressors and cant wrap my head around owning another, but you arent the first to vigorously endorse the fairchild.

It may end up being exactly that. I havent bumped up to 7.4 version software so thats why i havent been able to demo it.

Thanks for the headzup.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Miiko's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird ➡️
Damn i was afraid somebody would say that. I was just asking Ragan about it the other day. I have most of "must have" softpressors and cant wrap my head around owning another, but you arent the first to vigorously endorse the fairchild.

It may end up being exactly that. I havent bumped up to 7.4 version software so thats why i havent been able to demo it.

Thanks for the headzup.
Dont demo it unless you have the money to buy it
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #46
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok ➡️
Can you give an idea on the prices or when these sells might occur?
OK, interesting. When I log in, a number of the prices are better. I think it's because I have v1 of those plugins.

I have to say that $99 is a no-brainer for the v2 1176, Pultec, Fairchild, or LA2A. Actually, I'd say that these are the essentials. Sometimes the EMT 140 is on sale for $99. I know I didn't pay anywhere near the current sale price for the Studer or Ampex. If you have all of what I mentioned above, you'll be pretty happy with the UAD.

I think they do major sales twice a year. One is in December, and I think the other is in the summer. I just took a look at my account, and so far, I'm averaging a 38% discount off the regular prices. Here's the breakdown:
Title Retail:
1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection $299
1176LN Classic Limiting Amplifier Plug-In $ 0
1176SE Classic Limiting Amplifier Plug-In $ 0
Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In $599 (bundle)
Studer® A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder Plug-In $0
Brainworx bx_digital V2 EQ Plug-In $329
CS-1 Channel Strip Plug-In $ 0
EMT® 140 Classic Plate Reverberator Plug-In $199
Fairchild Tube Limiter Plug-In Collection $299
Fairchild® 670 Compressor Plug-In $0
Harrison® 32C / 32C SE Channel EQ Plug-In $249
Helios™ Type 69 EQ Plug-In $199
Manley® Massive Passive EQ Plug-In $299
Nigel Multi-Effects Guitar Processing Plug-In $0
Precision K-Stereo Ambience Recovery Plug-In $199
Pultec EQP-1A Legacy Plug-In $0
Pultec Passive EQ Plug-In Collection $299
Pultec Pro EQ Legacy Plug-In $0
RealVerb Pro Custom Room Modeler Plug-In $0
Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection $299
Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Plug-In $0
Teletronix® LA-3A Classic Audio Leveler Plug-In $149
Total List: $2191.00

Total Paid: $1364.60
Octo Card: $ 976.00
TCO: $2340.60


So, if you're reasonably careful about waiting for sales and promotions, this is about what UAD typically costs.

You'll probably notice I have a super cheap price on the Octo. That's because I traded in a couple of UAD1's to JRR Shop when they were running a substantial discount. IIRC, I paid $75 each for them used, and got more than that back from UA when I traded them in on the Octo. I think the Octo was priced a little cheaper at that time, too. There's a guy on eBay who regularly has it for $1279.

I also used to have a UAD2 quad that I got on sale, and was able to let it go on eBay this past year for what I paid for it. Some careful horse trading never hurts.

Other than Valhalla Room and just a couple more plugins, I'm using UA almost exclusively. In retrospect, I would have gotten the Brainworx EQ for $75 from Plugin Alliance last November, although I don't think I paid more than $150 for it from UA. I never use more than one instance of it, so it's kind of pointless to have on the UA. I went with PA for Transient Designer, also. At the moment, I really don't think I need any more processing plugins.
Old 7th March 2014
  #47
Lives for gear
 
11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd wait for the summer sale.

And whatever you don't get then... wait until the winter sale (their best sale).
Old 7th March 2014
  #48
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
wait until the winter sale (their best sale).
Not an easy chore...at least it wouldnt be for me.

Quote:
Nigel Multi-Effects Guitar Processing Plug-In
Havent really dug deep into it yet, but you cant have UAD 1 and UAD 2 on the same machine? is that right?
The software i have on this computer is 6.1 and UAD 1 (my light set up) and 7.4 and UAD2 on my studio computer.

I like the Nigel, and it never hurts to have a bit more ass, but is it possible?
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I got left behind at UAD1 - I have two pci-e cards and I am afraid to get any newer version of UAD in case I lose my dear friend Nigel ( heh )

But I am wondering if it is worth logging on to see what I got in the way of coupons.....
Blueface 1176....mmmmmm....
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #50
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird ➡️
Not an easy chore...at least it wouldnt be for me.

Havent really dug deep into it yet, but you cant have UAD 1 and UAD 2 on the same machine? is that right?
The software i have on this computer is 6.1 and UAD 1 (my light set up) and 7.4 and UAD2 on my studio computer.

I like the Nigel, and it never hurts to have a bit more ass, but is it possible?
Ahh, no, Nigel's just a legacy still in the authorization list. I haven't had it since I traded in my UAD1's for the Octo a few years ago. I'm really not an amp sim guy. However, I use SVX pretty often on bass when I need a clanky SVT tone or want to record at night, and some of the pieces from Amplitube 2 for Rhodes.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird ➡️
Not an easy chore...at least it wouldnt be for me.
you're absolutely right about that. Took a lot of will power.

And to be honest, I forgot to mention to the OP... if you're buying for NEED and not just want, then absolutely buy now.. you won't regret it. If you're buying b/c you need a good 1176 plugin, then the full price is absolutely worth it IMO. But... if you can wait, 50% is always better lol.

In the summer.. they do get close to the winter sales. Some things are 50%. Personally.. I wish I had bought the old Fairchild when it was $49 for the summer sale. I never got another opportunity to buy it for a good sale price b/c by the time winter came around they had just updated it and they don't do discounts on their brand news plugins! So.... I have to wait until this summer or next winter to grab the new Fairchild b/c that price is just too much for me, whereas I could've gotten at least an upgrade discount had I bought the fairchild last summer.
Old 7th March 2014
  #52
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
NEED
Ha! Great track, but theres no question my kik drum needs a Fairchild.

i joke, and keed having second thoughts on whether i should get the Fairchild, LA2A, or the pultecs for $75 (got a coupon) but i think youve officially made my mind up.

Edit; i forgot that ive installed the 7.4 software and can make my own decision

Also, if you want to demo anything guys, before you buy something is the time to do it, because once you buy , all demos reset.
Old 7th March 2014
  #53
Lives for gear
 
11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
^All I can tell you about those is this....

1) LA2A transformed my vocal recordings. It's the only plugin I ever felt made that much of an improvement on my sound. The revision btw.. not the analog classic. I like the analog classic but.. the revision is just... wow. With the 1176 revisions.. I tend to use them on instruments, and they've also taken those instruments to new levels.
2) I never considered the Pultec. I never used the legacy. However... something made me try out the the revised Pultec to see what all the fuss was about. This was during the winter sale. I had a very limited budget, and really wanted to buy a ton of UAD plugs (I wanted the deesser, limiter, dbx comp, and CooperTime). I started messing w/ Pultec and was impressed by what I was about to do, especially to my low end kick drums. I then tried to accomplish the same thing with the Neve 1073 I already had.... couldn't get the same sound. It thumped like it never did before w/ some low end boosts. It was so expensive though (even with the discount) so i tried to find another EQ that i could get close to. I tried Trident.... it was good, but.. no, it wasn't the Pultec sound I wanted. It was so good... that i removed a ton of other items off my cart so i could fit the Pultec in my budget.
3) I haven't tried Fairchild yet... b/c I don't want to fall in love with it til there's a big sale lol.. so i'm keeping my distance.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #54
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➡️
^All I can tell you about those is this....

1) LA2A transformed my vocal recordings. It's the only plugin I ever felt made that much of an improvement on my sound. The revision btw.. not the analog classic. I like the analog classic but.. the revision is just... wow. With the 1176 revisions.. I tend to use them on instruments, and they've also taken those instruments to new levels.
2) I never considered the Pultec. I never used the legacy. However... something made me try out the the revised Pultec to see what all the fuss was about. This was during the winter sale. I had a very limited budget, and really wanted to buy a ton of UAD plugs (I wanted the deesser, limiter, dbx comp, and CooperTime). I started messing w/ Pultec and was impressed by what I was about to do, especially to my low end kick drums. I then tried to accomplish the same thing with the Neve 1073 I already had.... couldn't get the same sound. It thumped like it never did before w/ some low end boosts. It was so expensive though (even with the discount) so i tried to find another EQ that i could get close to. I tried Trident.... it was good, but.. no, it wasn't the Pultec sound I wanted. It was so good... that i removed a ton of other items off my cart so i could fit the Pultec in my budget.
3) I haven't tried Fairchild yet... b/c I don't want to fall in love with it til there's a big sale lol.. so i'm keeping my distance.
Awesome! Thanks! Actually the Fairchild is the one i was leaning towards the most, but now you have me wanting the Pultecs I doubt that'll happen since i have the Pult Legacy, the Maag and Elysia.

I have the 1176s so i guess it just comes down to the 2A and Fairchild. Damn these are some TOUGH decisions. Now i know how world leaders feel
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Miiko's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
I just took a look at my account, and so far, I'm averaging a 38% discount off the regular prices. Here's the breakdown:
Title Retail:
1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection $299
1176LN Classic Limiting Amplifier Plug-In $ 0
1176SE Classic Limiting Amplifier Plug-In $ 0
Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In $599 (bundle)
Studer® A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder Plug-In $0
Brainworx bx_digital V2 EQ Plug-In $329
CS-1 Channel Strip Plug-In $ 0
EMT® 140 Classic Plate Reverberator Plug-In $199
Fairchild Tube Limiter Plug-In Collection $299
Fairchild® 670 Compressor Plug-In $0
Harrison® 32C / 32C SE Channel EQ Plug-In $249
Helios™ Type 69 EQ Plug-In $199
Manley® Massive Passive EQ Plug-In $299
Nigel Multi-Effects Guitar Processing Plug-In $0
Precision K-Stereo Ambience Recovery Plug-In $199
Pultec EQP-1A Legacy Plug-In $0
Pultec Passive EQ Plug-In Collection $299
Pultec Pro EQ Legacy Plug-In $0
RealVerb Pro Custom Room Modeler Plug-In $0
Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection $299
Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Plug-In $0
Teletronix® LA-3A Classic Audio Leveler Plug-In $149
Total List: $2191.00

Total Paid: $1364.60
Octo Card: $ 976.00
TCO: $2340.60

I dont' understand this list, it only shows the retail price? Can you by chance list how much you paid for the plugins, as opposed to the total overall cost?

By the way, I just upgraded my 1176 collection for just $25... that was a no brainer. I'll probably wait until SUmmer to upgrade the pultech and la-2a, and buy Fatso... already have Farichild, Manley, Ampex, and Cambridge.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Miiko's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird ➡️
I have the 1176s so i guess it just comes down to the 2A and Fairchild. Damn these are some TOUGH decisions. Now i know how world leaders feel
Honestly the fairchild is the nicest sounding plug I've heard from UAD so far. I've only been on board for about a month, and haven't tried out the new LA-2A revision but I can already tell the Fairchild is going to be a money maker for sure.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Dynamikemusic's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➡️
I wish I had bought the old Fairchild when it was $49 for the summer sale.
Same here!

About the Pultec. The new one comes also with the hardware transformer magic included and an output control. So you can stack 4 Pultecs in default mode in a rack or chain, lower the outputs to match the original sound and you have some analogue warmth in the digital domain. Very usefull tip from the Freemasons. Same with the 1176 Rev A, 3 or 4 in parallel mode. And indeed, the new LA-2A's add something special to the sound too. So I think this will result in the end of the legacy's. If I buy the new ones, I won't use the old ones anymore. Maybe for some easy adjustments because the new ones do eat more dsp power.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #58
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok ➡️
I dont' understand this list, it only shows the retail price? Can you by chance list how much you paid for the plugins, as opposed to the total overall cost?

By the way, I just upgraded my 1176 collection for just $25... that was a no brainer. I'll probably wait until SUmmer to upgrade the pultech and la-2a, and buy Fatso... already have Farichild, Manley, Ampex, and Cambridge.
There were a couple of bundles, so prices aren't always broken out. The best bundle deal was getting the Ampex, Studer, Harrison, and Pultec Pro for $217. I've never paid more than $149 for any individual plugin. Also, I got discounts on some of my plugins because the previous owner transferred some of the legacy plugins with the cards. Also, in addition to the super cheap price on the Octo, UAD was offering a $500 voucher at the same time. So that's really where I made out like a bandit.

I haven't touched the Cambridge. With the Harrison, Manley, and Brainworx, that's more than enough for buss or surgical EQ. To be honest, I'd probably just use the ProTools native EQ over the Cambridge.

It's not that popular, but I also really like the Helios. I'll often stick it on drum buss or guitar, just because it's so easy to get certain sounds. It's really easy to tune the bass, snare, and cymbals just with the 3 knobs it has. The Pultec, LA2A, and 1176 are essentials, IMHO. These are what really makes UAD shine. I really liked the old Fairchild a lot, and I probably use it on 2buss about 60% of the time. I have the new one, which just kills the old one, but I haven't had much time to really get into it yet.

If I had to pick one, I'd say the Ampex on 2buss does more for my mixes than the Studer. I probably would have been happy with URS and Massey instead of the Studer, but URS is abandonware, and I don't think I'm going to pay to get the AAX version of the Massey. At this point, and the Studer is my only channel 'dirt' right now.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Miiko's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
There were a couple of bundles, so prices aren't always broken out. The best bundle deal was getting the Ampex, Studer, Harrison, and Pultec Pro for $217. I've never paid more than $149 for any individual plugin. Also, I got discounts on some of my plugins because the previous owner transferred some of the legacy plugins with the cards.

I haven't touched the Cambridge. With the Harrison, Manley, and Brainworx, that's more than enough for buss or surgical EQ. To be honest, I'd probably just use the ProTools native EQ over the Cambridge.

It's not that popular, but I also really like the Helios. I'll often stick it on drum buss or guitar, just because it's so easy to get certain sounds. It's really easy to tune the bass, snare, and cymbals just with the 3 knobs it has. The Pultec, LA2A, and 1176 are essentials, IMHO. These are what really makes UAD shine. I really liked the old Fairchild a lot, and I probably use it on 2buss about 60% of the time. I have the new one, which just kills the old one, but I haven't had much time to really get into it yet.

If I had to pick one, I'd say the Ampex on 2buss does more for my mixes than the Studer. I probably would have been happy with URS and Massey instead of the Studer, but URS is abandonware, and I don't think I'm going to pay to get the AAX version of the Massey. At this point, and the Studer is my only channel 'dirt' right now.
Nice... I think you should try out cambridge, though. I picked it up for $75 bucks and it is really a nice EQ. It's nothing "special", but I use it on almost every track to help my computer's CPU. The big reason I got it is because you can run almost 60 instances with a duo, that really helps alleviate stress from my MBP. I've been very happy with it.

But yes, the nicer plugins like Manley, Fairchild, Ampex, are definitely my favorite... just super DSP hungry, not really useable until the last stage of mixing for m.e
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #60
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c ➡️
emails...?
Ditto. I have some legacy UAD-1's and I'm thinking of buying a UAD-2 solo.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 324 views: 48957
Avatar for bugscoe
bugscoe 22nd May 2012
replies: 15929 views: 1529398
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 191 views: 28611
Avatar for loudscape
loudscape 4th April 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump