Quantcast
Help... upgrading my mbox... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help... upgrading my mbox...
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Help... upgrading my mbox...

I've messed with my first gen mbox for years, and now I need a better Mac. I would like to bounce this off any or all of you to see if that makes sense.

I've been using an old powerbook, and want to get an iMac. The laptop just doesn't have enough juice to run PT well.

I don't want to upgrade my ProTools 8 higher because I don't use it enough to justify the money.

I am thinking about getting a used iMac with Snow Leopard (around 2.8 with 4 gigs or more).

I'm looking at replacing the first gen mbox with a new mbox3 pro I'm finding on ebay for around $400 without software. (I don't need the academic PT bundle) I hear the difference in the pres are worth the upgrade. Do you see any problem with this?

When I load my PT 8 into my new used iMac, I'll upgrade to 8.0.5 for Snow Leopard, then run it on the mbox3.

I'VE HAD ENOUGH GLITCHES WITH PT THAT I DON'T WANT TO RUN INTO SOMETHING THAT WON'T WORK. A wise man chooses counsel. (s'long as the counsel is wise.) Thoughts?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds like a good plan to me. The converters are a huge step up, and probably the pre's as well. Since you're wanting to stay with PT8, this certainly sounds like the best option, since you are limited to Avid/Digi interfaces.
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thanks... I've been bitten by compatibility issues and trying to be really cautious about the idea of buying an mbox pro on ebay, then adding my PT8 that will be upgraded to 8.0.5 for Snow Leopard's sake, but it seems like it will work to me, too.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The new Mboxes and Mbox Pro are totally compatible with PT8, because that's what they originally shipped with. You should be able to plug it in and start using it. It might just ask to do a firmware change, but that should be it.
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Appreciate the encouragement. I pulled the trigger on a 3.2 ghz iMac (slightly used) and the mbox 3 pro.
I WAS looking at buying a Digi 002 desktop because my friend runs his PT with one, but he also was telling me of his need to borrow good mic pre's.
Who knows... for less than a used 002, I may have skipped the need for mic pre's.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just be sure the Imac comes with an operating system that's compatible with PT8. Usually, you can't downgrade if it's something newer, like Lion, Mountain Lion, etc.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
<<Just be sure the Imac comes with an operating system that's compatible with PT8. Usually, you can't downgrade if it's something newer, like Lion, Mountain Lion, etc.

Yeah, that was the thing that kept reminding me why I was looking for an older computer. So the one I bid is loaded with Mavericks but I'm going to have to install its original Mountain Lion on it. It's okay, what I never knew, I'll never miss.
πŸ“ Reply