Quantcast
MacBook Pro Retina fan noise? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MacBook Pro Retina fan noise?
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
MacBook Pro Retina fan noise?

Hi everyone. I am considering getting a MacBook Pro Retina 15" with the Nvidia 750 GPU (the better one) and currently I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro. I was wondering if there is a vast improvement in fan noise? My early 2011 drives me nuts with fan noise. (For example if I run U-HE diva it runs at 5000-6000 rpm. Simply running one core)

I will be running Logic Pro X and Mavericks as well as many V.I.'s and using it in clamshell mode hooked to my thunderbolt Apple display when downstairs in "studio mode".

Do you guys think that fan noise will still be an issue with the new retina MacBook Pro?

Thanks!

Last edited by outcastrising; 5th March 2014 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Added stuff
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
got a Retina (the bigger one, when they came out). i use it for mobile mixing only (Pro Tools HD, Mountain Lion). never ever heard the fans, except during a firmware update.
h
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyposonic ➑️
got a Retina (the bigger one, when they came out). i use it for mobile mixing only (Pro Tools HD, Mountain Lion). never ever heard the fans, except during a firmware update.
h
Thanks for the feedback! Do you use it lid closed running an external monitor by chance? Reason I ask is "clamshell mode" is the only time my early 2011 gives me fan noise typically.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
ah no, it's always open. but i should also say it doesn't get hot often.
Old 5th March 2014
Oop
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by outcastrising ➑️
Hi everyone. I am considering getting a MacBook Pro Retina 15" with the Nvidia 750 GPU (the better one) and currently I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro. I was wondering if there is a vast improvement in fan noise? My early 2011 drives me nuts with fan noise. (For example if I run U-HE diva it runs at 5000-6000 rpm. Simply running one core)

I will be running Logic Pro X and Mavericks as well as many V.I.'s and using it in clamshell mode hooked to my thunderbolt Apple display when downstairs in "studio mode".

Do you guys think that fan noise will still be an issue with the new retina MacBook Pro?

Thanks!
I'm using the setup you're planning on grabbing and it's a huge improvement, at least over my 2010 MBP and with the SSD and RAM, even over my Mac Pros. The new ones are quite silent, even while running DIVA. LuSH seems to bend Logic X over though.

I've started hearing the fan only when it hits about 60 - 70 tracks (DIVA, Omni, Zebra etc.) at a temperature of 75-80deg C. It's impressive. Replaced my 2009 and 2010 Mac Pros with it.

I do miss the ports and don't see many Thunderbolt expansion options coming out. But, then again, I'm trying to wire my entire studio to a laptop. :P
Old 5th March 2014
rez
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
my 15inch 2.0i7 retina macbook pro is so silent that i have to really get close to it to hear if the fans are spinning at all... that is sometimes very inconvenient, because the new mbp have no sleep light anymore - so there is a real danger to accidently pack your running laptop into your backpack... especially if you have altered the energy saving settings to ensure the laptop does not shut down while doing critical recordings.

when using in clamshell mode with external display it gets noticable hotter and then the fans become audible. with my last early 2008 mbp i always opened the lid when i was using it with an external monitor for better cooling. this is not possible out of the box with the newer macbooks (or with mavericks), as the screen wonΒ΄t stay off if you open the lid. there is a terminal command to change that behaviour back to the old way. also if you want to use clamshell mode you have to untick a setting in the energy saving page to prevent the computer to go to sleep if the display is off.

all in all, the new mbp are way more silent and run way more cooler than any of the previous generations did.

peace, rez
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my MBP 2011 and the fans would speed up for just about anything, especially YouTube and SoundCloud. Now I'm running Mavericks and it's a big difference. They hardly ever budge. So before you decide to upgrade your machine just because of fan noise, you should upgrade your OS if you are running an older version.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➑️
I was running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my MBP 2011 and the fans would speed up for just about anything, especially YouTube and SoundCloud. Now I'm running Mavericks and it's a big difference. They hardly ever budge. So before you decide to upgrade your machine just because of fan noise, you should upgrade your OS if you are running an older version.
Oddly enough I'm on mavericks with an early 2011 MacBook Pro and as I originally stated the fans drive me crazy if I'm even doing one instance of U-HE Diva at 128 buffer.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try changing the buffer to 512. Also, if it's not, change your Process Buffer Range setting in the preferences to large.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw ➑️
Try changing the buffer to 512. Also, if it's not, change your Process Buffer Range setting in the preferences to large.
Ah hell I've tried all that stuff and still the same story. That is why I started this thread remember though this is ONLY in clamshell mode with a big monitor. I think this happens because it has to use the GPU to drive external monitors and when I play a V.I. in realtime it taxes one core so the fans are nutty.

That is why I ask this question about the new retina macbook pro with nvidia card as it may very well be my only mac. If the fans are still nuts I will regret my purchase and wished I got one of the new Mac Pro 2013 models that I KNOW is silent even under load. Crappy thing is I desire portability.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use a 15" MBPr with PT HDX and Logic Pro X via Symp I/O and everything works fine. Haven't had any crazy fan noise problems
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➑️
I use a 15" MBPr with PT HDX and Logic Pro X via Symp I/O and everything works fine. Haven't had any crazy fan noise problems
Thanks for the feedback! Is the laptop lid closed with an external display or open and by itself?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! Is the laptop lid closed with an external display or open and by itself?
Both.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➑️
Both.
WELL... THAT sounds damn promising!
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
WELL... THAT sounds damn promising!
Yeah, I run HDX w/ Symphony I/O on the MBPr hooked up to a 30" Cinema display half the time. Everything works well.....
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
2,3 i7 Late 2013
quietly mac book i ever had.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I recently downsized from my Mac Pro based rig to a maxed out 2013 rMBP for a project that brought me out to the West Coast for a few months.

I'm running PT10/11 100% native, 100% ITB, and my fans definitely start kicking in as the plug-in count grows to a healthy amount. PT11 is definitely better than PT10, but at some point I have to take a break and let the thing cool down before I can lower my monitoring volume for detail work.

Running Mavericks, 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you have the 17" from early 2011?

If you have an external monitor plugged in, the computer shouldn't be in clamshell mode, at least according to apple. The heat dissipation is a lot worse when the computer is closed.

Also, you have to make sure you have automatic graphics switching turned off. This is done in the power saving options.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My mid-2010 MBP is LOUD. The fans are almost always full bore 6,000RPM while mixing.

This doesn't help because it's not a Retina, but I felt like "venting" (see what I did there?)
Old 19th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok ➑️
Do you have the 17" from early 2011?

If you have an external monitor plugged in, the computer shouldn't be in clamshell mode, at least according to apple. The heat dissipation is a lot worse when the computer is closed.

Also, you have to make sure you have automatic graphics switching turned off. This is done in the power saving options.
Nope its a 15" early 2011. Is the clamshell mode thing still true if it is a Retina 15" Macbook Pro?
Old 19th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertine ➑️
I recently downsized from my Mac Pro based rig to a maxed out 2013 rMBP for a project that brought me out to the West Coast for a few months.

I'm running PT10/11 100% native, 100% ITB, and my fans definitely start kicking in as the plug-in count grows to a healthy amount. PT11 is definitely better than PT10, but at some point I have to take a break and let the thing cool down before I can lower my monitoring volume for detail work.

Running Mavericks, 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM.
For me it's a vocals thing with headphones. It seems when I am at 32 buffer @4.7ms roundtrip to sing with plug-in effects and the like it goes into Logics "live mode" which uses one core but ramps it up as it ramps up the fans kick on to 6,000 rpm which is audible in a condenser. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I am using Macbk pro Rentina 2012 2.3Gig i7 16 gig Ram with two external monitor. It is quiet normally, but the noisy fan will kick started when I start working in Logic and Ableton. It will stay on until I quit the Logic software.

TBH, I hate this fan noise and is there anyway to stop it?
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
try this ... Lobotomo Software: MoofMenu gives you the option to have the fans running More at Lower speeds to keep the heat down and they would be quitter because they would run at lower speeds ... just a thought ..
Old 26th September 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I am pleased to report that I have purchased a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro 15" Retina with the Nvidia graphics and a Henge Dock. I ran the EvanLogicMultiCoreBenchmark.logic test. I ran around 50-55 tracks with 250 plug-ins maxing out almost ALL CPU cores. I was running Logic Pro X 10.0.7 with Mac OSX 10.9.5 running a UA Apollo Twin @4.0ms and 32 buffer, small buffer size.
The fans went up to almost 4,000 RPM This thing made not a PEEP quiet as HELL! I am VERY VERY pleased to the point I do NOT need a Mac Pro Tower at ALL! Awesome. Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread!

Old 26th September 2014
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
sweet ... good to hear as i have not punished mine yet ...
πŸ“ Reply