Quantcast
The USB port shuffle...what gets plugged where. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The USB port shuffle...what gets plugged where.
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The USB port shuffle...what gets plugged where.

So as someone not very knowledgable in terms of what's important, here's the situation I'm running into.

On my mac, I've got the 4 USB 3.0 ports. I've rather quickly run out of ports between the following:

Audio Interface
MIDI interface
2 USB 3.0 harddrives for sample libraries
Mouse
Keyboard
ilok
Arturia USB dongle (can't think of the name off the top of my head)
DVD Drive

Obviously I have to use a USB hub to handle all this stuff, but as I'm chasing wires, I started wondering what should be plugged where. Which devices should go straight into the computer, and which are fine in the hub.

Obviously one port goes to the USB hub. I figure that hub is fine with the dongles and mouse/keyboards.

I'd assume the audio/midi interfaces should go directly in as well, but that then leaves one of my harddrives going into the USB hub.

What are your thoughts on this setup? What should go where?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Midi interface or midi keyboard can go into a hub. Not an issue in most cases. Audio interface directly to the computer, and hard drives if possible. The rest of the stuff is fine on a hub.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…