Quantcast
Using LED TV over computer Monitor ? (Ableton) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using LED TV over computer Monitor ? (Ableton)
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Using LED TV over computer Monitor ? (Ableton)

I'm about to upgrade my 22" monitors to something bigger, mainly as Ableton interface is massive. I was wondering it using a LED TV will be as good as using computer monitors of the same size as TV's nowadays are much cheaper to get.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It really depends on the resolution.

If you have a computer monitor & a LED TV that are the same resolution, the picture will look exactly the same.. just bigger. You won't really be adding any extra real estate (ie.. it'll show the same number of tracks in the sequencer and channels in the mixer.

So... i'd recommend buying whichever has the higher resolution out of the options you find.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks ! Well, my current monitor is 1680X1050, which doesn't allow much 'tracks' on ableton. I would definitely like to have more "real estate" but also to make everything less tiny looking (zooming "in"). Which resolution do you think I should look after ? I really don't want to upgrade to another monitor in about the next 5-6 years... thanks again.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i have a 15" macbook pro with a regular 27" vizio LED TV as my main monitor. the apple monitor is a bit nicer, but for DAW work, its not really that big of a deal. youll still want the set to be at least 1080 no matter what you get. i think i paid 220 dollars for the TV and its one of the best investments ive made.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have been using LCD TV's as my monitor my my setup for years. Moved from a Powermac G5 with a 32" Vizio LCD TV to a Mac Mini Quad server with a 37" Samsung LED/LCD tv.

Make sure you get a 1080P tv. They should have the resolution of 1920x1080.

One thing I noticed with the first one is that the display wouldn't sleep. My current one will, but only after having no signal for an hour.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
As another option there are some pretty affordable 4k LCD TVs out right now: Newegg.com - Electronics, Televisions, LED TVs, Seiki
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ooooh. That 39" Seiki looks like a killer deal.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhermit ➑️
Ooooh. That 39" Seiki looks like a killer deal.
Indeed. I've been wanting to upgrade from my 24" Dell Ultrasharp for a while now. My workstation is multifunctional: I do pro audio, watch movies, play games and surf the net on this rig. After doing research the only thing that makes sense to me is getting a 4k display. Either one of those Seiki's would be a giant upgrade for my studio without breaking the bank.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The standard right now is 1920 x 1080. That's a solid choice... I wouldn't recommend going lower than either of those numbers.

I lucked out with a recent buy and grabbed a monitor that was 1920 x 1200 resolution. The difference is noticeable... I can fit like 5 more audio tracks or so on it without having to zoom out. So yeah... try to get nothing lower than 1920 x 1080 if you can. That's really the most important spec to pay attention to. I think it's even more important than the physical size of the screen.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Or you could do what I do...

44" TV over 27" monitor. I use "Workspaces" and so on to keep from having to constantly look up - I do a lot of film work (like in this shot, where I was working on a score), so having the secondary monitor be above the first is actually convenient (in that it is out of the way). Having it that high also lets directors & clients sit on my couch (about 20'/6.5m back) and still see what I'm doing - a big plus when you work with film clients.

As to using it as a main monitor, I'd be ok with that - though having to sit 4-6 feet (1.2-2m) away from it would kinda defeat the purpose of having the huge screen. I agree with everyone that the resolution is far from ideal - having the highrer-density (and brighness, and accuracy, and so on) monitor closer, and therefore psychologically the "main" monitor, is pretty key to the way I use my setup. I'm not sure how using JUST a TV would work out for me - I'd probably end up squinting a lot!

(Funny thing was, landlord had no problem with the TV, but treatment on the wall and she ****s a brick...)

As far as Ableton goes, it really does work better on the monitor - though with 9.1, the dual-monitor thing works GREAT with the two setup this way. I can have my video and/or arrangement/mix on the top, and the other on the bottom, and tab between them - and there are no resolution issues. It took forever to set up a similar level of ease with Cubase, PT, and Logic - had to program "Spaces" for each of them to have the same ease. Reason was easy as well, though with Reason I stick the Rack up on the TV and forget about it...

Back on point, using Live (pet peeve = the program's name, not the company's) on just a TV would be fine - though I'd think that resolution of controls would become a concern, as would the aforementioned squinting. That being said, TV's are cheaper than decent monitors - everyone bitches about the Apple TB/ACD being $1000, but the comparably-spec'd competition isn't much cheaper. You can get a 50" LCD TV for less than a GOOD 24" monitor - and there is a reason for that. Think of it as quantity vs. quality - the reason decent computer monitors are expensive is the same reason TV's are cheap - different expectations, [slightly] different tech, different intended uses. I would HATE to try to read anything on the TV - and if that is something you're doing, I'd think twice before cheaping out! The TV might work fine, even great, for music production, but it would [likely] suck for general computer usage.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks,

Well, my physical desktop doesn't really allows me a dual monitor setup neither monitors bigger than 27".

I thought about this one:

Dell UltraSharp U2713HM review - Engadget

It's a LED/IPS at 2560x1440. It's a small home studio so will look giant on my desk and I guess 2560x1440 will allow some tracks on the multi track...

on the other hand I can get a 1080p used Samsung for really cheap (about 5th the price of the Dell).

Will 1080p suffice for being able to see a wide view of multitrack, channels and effects in ableton ? or I should insist on the 1440p ?

I do not watch movies or play games on my computer, mostly audio production and internet. So basically only need more size and "real estate" when working with audio software.
Old 6th March 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought a TV, I got a better deal on the same size over a monitor. They seem to charge more for monitors over TVs. I hooked a HDMI cable from my comp. to the TV and I get great HD
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dented42ford ➑️
Or you could do what I do...

44" TV over 27" monitor. I use "Workspaces" and so on to keep from having to constantly look up - I do a lot of film work (like in this shot, where I was working on a score), so having the secondary monitor be above the first is actually convenient (in that it is out of the way). Having it that high also lets directors & clients sit on my couch (about 20'/6.5m back) and still see what I'm doing - a big plus when you work with film clients.

As to using it as a main monitor, I'd be ok with that - though having to sit 4-6 feet (1.2-2m) away from it would kinda defeat the purpose of having the huge screen. I agree with everyone that the resolution is far from ideal - having the highrer-density (and brighness, and accuracy, and so on) monitor closer, and therefore psychologically the "main" monitor, is pretty key to the way I use my setup. I'm not sure how using JUST a TV would work out for me - I'd probably end up squinting a lot!

(Funny thing was, landlord had no problem with the TV, but treatment on the wall and she ****s a brick...)

As far as Ableton goes, it really does work better on the monitor - though with 9.1, the dual-monitor thing works GREAT with the two setup this way. I can have my video and/or arrangement/mix on the top, and the other on the bottom, and tab between them - and there are no resolution issues. It took forever to set up a similar level of ease with Cubase, PT, and Logic - had to program "Spaces" for each of them to have the same ease. Reason was easy as well, though with Reason I stick the Rack up on the TV and forget about it...

Back on point, using Live (pet peeve = the program's name, not the company's) on just a TV would be fine - though I'd think that resolution of controls would become a concern, as would the aforementioned squinting. That being said, TV's are cheaper than decent monitors - everyone bitches about the Apple TB/ACD being $1000, but the comparably-spec'd competition isn't much cheaper. You can get a 50" LCD TV for less than a GOOD 24" monitor - and there is a reason for that. Think of it as quantity vs. quality - the reason decent computer monitors are expensive is the same reason TV's are cheap - different expectations, [slightly] different tech, different intended uses. I would HATE to try to read anything on the TV - and if that is something you're doing, I'd think twice before cheaping out! The TV might work fine, even great, for music production, but it would [likely] suck for general computer usage.
This is partly true, but after using at least 7 TV's as monitors(including the Seiki 4k TV), text is always hazy with factory settings, but with a little tweaking text is just fine, in a lot of cases even better than dedicated monitors. The key is backing off on the sharpness..
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere ➑️
This is partly true, but after using at least 7 TV's as monitors(including the Seiki 4k TV), text is always hazy with factory settings, but with a little tweaking text is just fine, in a lot of cases even better than dedicated monitors. The key is backing off on the sharpness..
This might be true, but once you get into TV's that work really well as monitors you are getting into the same sort of money as good dedicated monitors. It'll be bigger, but you'll have to be further away - and if you read A LOT on a computer (as I do), then the other disadvantages start to rear their ugly little heads - namely response time and clarity. Neither is a huge issue for a "strictly-production" rig.

Also, most TV's and monitors you do get what you pay for, up to a point - meaning that a medium-price TV might be 'better' than a cheapo monitor, but a high-priced (and high-spec'd) monitor will eat it for breakfast. There are economies of scale involved here, and products from reputable brands are generally competitively priced - in spite of the common opinion, getting 'fleeced' is pretty difficult, and 'paying for a name' is no more than 15% or so when specs are taken into account.

That's my experience, though. Yours may differ!

Old 18th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Great thread. I'm looking at doing the same thing. My new custom built desk will allow up to a 40" screen between the nearfields, and a 39" TV is going to be A LOT cheaper than the same size monitor. I don't even care if I'm stuck at 1920x1040 because that's till higher rez than I'm currently running on my 21" CRT that's been chugging along for 8 years or so.
Old 21st April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
well i just grabed a 39" 1080p insignia from best buy.......it was a display model....for less than 200 bucks.....and its amazin....my array of three 19" monitors are gone....there is no comparison.......honestly just get one....they are too cheap.....and too good !!!
Old 24th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I ended up getting a second hand 1080p 27" Samsung monitor. To be honest it's not the greatest monitor in the world but is more than decent and the workflow against DAW programs is totally different (improved) now. Mainly I don't have to put stress on my eyes when looking at small details. And it doesn't feel like a big screen at all once getting used to it
Old 10th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwe ➑️
Thanks,

Well, my physical desktop doesn't really allows me a dual monitor setup neither monitors bigger than 27".

I thought about this one:

Dell UltraSharp U2713HM review - Engadget

It's a LED/IPS at 2560x1440. It's a small home studio so will look giant on my desk and I guess 2560x1440 will allow some tracks on the multi track...

Will 1080p suffice for being able to see a wide view of multitrack, channels and effects in ableton ? or I should insist on the 1440p ?

I do not watch movies or play games on my computer, mostly audio production and internet. So basically only need more size and "real estate" when working with audio software.
I'm in the same boat. Old thread yeah...but what has everyone gone with ? After doing a bit of reading it seems that for productivity where you need to see fine details like small vst dials, daw buttons, editing a waveform, etc, it seems that 1440P is better . I have been thinking about putting a 27" 1440P in the middle for the mixer window, then sliding my 24" LED to the left and in portrait for the tracks (more tracks top to bottom), and lastly, putting my 22" on the right for other vst or explorer windows i'd like to keep open . I have a single Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X. I do no gaming and no internet on this computer, just Daw and also some editing of personal GoPro video. This similar question seems to come up on multiple forums, here, Toms, Anand, and no general consensus...other than 1440P is better for productivity. I wish someone with first hand experience with this would chime in or post a link to good info on the topic (Audio/Video work), not gaming .
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Unless you use a fairly large wide screen monitor with high resolution, multiple monitors is really the best option for screen real estate.

I use (3) 24" wide screen LCD's ... well, actually I use (2) 24" LCD's with one DAW, and two other DAW's share the 3rd 24" LCD with a KVM switch.
πŸ“ Reply