Spec me a multi i/o interface for Mac - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spec me a multi i/o interface for Mac
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Spec me a multi i/o interface for Mac

Hi folks,

I'm a guitarist. I'm after an audio interface for a number of different reasons:
  • Record song ideas down on guitar
  • Record myself playing acoustic guitar and singing (while recording video)
  • Possibly track the entire band I'm in for demo purposes (5 piece band, punk rock).
  • Possibly go on to record other bands in the future.

Getting a decent sound is important. Especially for tracking the band and recording myself live.

My budget is variable, but I'd like to keep it under £600 / $1000 if poss.

I have recently bought an iMac (late 2013), which I'm sure many of you are aware does not come with firewire connectivity, so I'm not entirely sure of what full range of options I have. I obviously do have USB and thunderbolt connectivity however.

When recording acoustic guitar and vocals, I'm intending to record the following inputs; 2 condensers for recording my acoustic in stereo (such as a Rode NT5 matched pair), one condenser for my vocal mic (e.g. Shure SM7b), and a line input for my electro acoustic. So I need at least 3 mic pre's and additional line inputs.

I had intended buying an Apogee Duet as I'm aware of their reputation for having quality AD/DA, and it would've been perfect for my set-up/ However 2 inputs isn't enough I'm afraid. I think the Apogee Quartet is just too expensive for just 4 inputs. It's basically double the price of the Duet.

I have considered going the expensive route, and future proofing myself by buying an RME UFX, but they are incredibly expensive for what I'm after.

I have considered the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. I must be honest I haven't heard great things about Focusrite. I'm also not sure if this is compatible with thunderbolt and Mac OSX.

I'm open to options, including buying something relatively cheap and buying a seperate pre-amp, for example. I'm just not very well versed in this area and wouldn't have a clue what to look for.

Thanks.
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone?
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Rme babyface would be a good way to go
📝 Reply